Jets Will be Keeping a Close eye on These Prospects as Draft Approaches

JetNation

IMG_5325.jpg

By Dylan Tereman

The New York Jets finished the 2018 campaign with a record of 4-12, meaning they will select third in the 2019 NFL Draft for the second consecutive season. With glaring needs on both offense and defense, the need to hit on these draft prospects is crucial for the Jets success. Will they select an offensive lineman to protect the future in Sam Darnold? Or will they choose an edge defender which they have desperately needed for the last decade? If the Jets opt out of trading down, here is a look at four potential draft candidates they could select with the third pick.

First, is Ohio State junior Nick Bosa, the younger brother of Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa, and much like his brother, Nick brings a lot of energy on every play. Bosa is 6’4” 260 lbs of raw athleticism. In 3 starts before getting injured during his junior year, Bosa tallied 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble and a defensive touchdown. Unfortunately, Bosa’s season was shortened by injury, and in September 2018 he underwent core muscle surgery. One month later, Bosa decided to drop out of Ohio State to focus on preparing for the draft. Falling to 3 is unlikely at this point, but the same would have been said about Sam Darnold at this time last year.

The next possible draft candidate is Kentucky’s senior defensive end Josh Allen. In 2018, Allen set a new school record for total sacks with 17, a record that stood for nearly 30 years. He was also awarded the Chuck Bednarik Award for best defensive player in the nation, as well as SEC Defensive Player of the Year for his 17 sacks and 5 forced fumbles in his senior season. Much like Bosa, Allen is regarded as the possible first pick in the draft. The Jets would be very fortunate to land a playmaker like Josh Allen, and would make an immediate impact in new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ defense.

One more defensive possibility that could be available for the Jets is Clemson’s senior defensive end Clelin Ferrell. After his junior year, Ferrell almost declared for the 2018 Draft, but then decided he would stay one more year in Clemson. During his senior season, he racked up 11.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles, earning him ACC Defensive Player of the Year. Ferrell is a 2x CFP Champion, including 1.5 tackles for loss against Alabama in the CFP Championship game. Clelin has a high motor and could be a future leader along the defensive line if the Jets draft him at 3.

On the offensive side of the ball, top tackle prospect Alabama’s Jonah Williams headlines the 2019 Draft class. At 6’5” 300 lbs, Williams was a stud for the Crimson Tide in 2018, surrendering only 2 sacks on 831 snaps. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post called him a “film junkie”, who started every game throughout his collegiate career. He has the strength and versatility to play inside early on if necessary. Jonah Williams will be a name to watch as the draft approaches, as he could be a large building block on offense and would improve the protection for Sam Darnold.

All four candidates are names to watch as draft day and the NFL Combine approaches, and as usual, it will be interesting to see which names will rise or fall amongst experts’ draft boards. The Jets are entering a pivotal offseason as this is the first time in decades that Gang Green will have a quarterback to build around who figures to be their first legitimate franchise quarterback since the days of Joe Namath.

The post Jets Will be Keeping a Close eye on These Prospects as Draft Approaches appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
GA7kyP_O-8I

Click here to read the full story...

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The switch to the 4-3 is going to make things interesting. 

Lol I still don’t really want DL but...

There’s enough good DL in this draft to get one in the 3rd or 4th if they can’t trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder. If they stay at 3 they need to get Johan, Greedy or an Edge guy. 

14 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s enough good DL in this draft to get one in the 3rd or 4th if they can’t trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder. If they stay at 3 they need to get Johan, Greedy or an Edge guy. 

I like Jonah but feel like, after watching the CFB Championship, picking him at #3 can’t be justified enough from a value standpoint. And I was one of the ones who wanted him at #3 before the game. He didn’t have a bad game at all. Besides one lapse, he actually played quite well, but it was becoming quickly obvious that he just might be a LG in the league. I need to rewatch that game and confirm how I felt when first watching it but currently I think you absolutely have to trade down. I’m not even less hyped for Josh Allen. Virtually zero pass rush moves displayed on his career at UK and wide open paths to QB’s. Something feels off about his college tape. Shows extremely good athleticism, good motor, nice pursuit but I can’t help but feel like he might not give you a full arsenal of pass rushing moves needed to get around NFL Tackles. Bullying collegian caliber players is one thing but you cannot simply toss aside NFL players with the same talents as you. You need some technique. So he’s a scary pick at #3 overall. 

Greedy is going to be a great corner. I love Greedy’s potential but definitely not taking a corner at 3..don’t think we go that direction even in a trade down.

The only edger rusher I truly love for the Jets  in this draft is Nick Bosa. Trade down, otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

As a non-fan of college football, I would have no objection to you actually putting names on these pictures of players.

That's DT Quinn Williams of Bama and DT Ed Oliver of Houston. 

I can understand you not being a college football fan if you are from the greater NY/NJ area....I didn't really like it until I moved here to Texas. And truth be told the college game is 10x better than the pro version.

31 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I like Jonah but feel like, after watching the CFB Championship, picking him at #3 can’t be justified enough from a value standpoint. And I was one of the ones who wanted him at #3 before the game. He didn’t have a bad game at all. Besides one lapse, he actually played quite well, but it was becoming quickly obvious that he just might be a LG in the league. I need to rewatch that game and confirm how I felt when first watching it but currently I think you absolutely have to trade down. I’m not even less hyped for Josh Allen. Virtually zero pass rush moves displayed on his career at UK and wide open paths to QB’s. Something feels off about his college tape. Shows extremely good athleticism, good motor, nice pursuit but I can’t help but feel like he might not give you a full arsenal of pass rushing moves needed to get around NFL Tackles. Bullying collegian caliber players is one thing but you cannot simply toss aside NFL players with the same talents as you. You need some technique. So he’s a scary pick at #3 overall. 

Greedy is going to be a great corner. I love Greedy’s potential but definitely not taking a corner at 3..don’t think we go that direction even in a trade down.

The only edger rusher I truly love for the Jets  in this draft is Nick Bosa. Trade down, otherwise.

Johan isn’t a Joe Thomas but is able to play inside and outside so I wouldn’t care if they draft him at 3 or 10. I’ve never cared what slot a guy is drafted as long as he’s a good player that’s not going to be there for your next pick. The mentality that you can’t take a OG high in the draft is flawed. I’d rather draft a player I think is going to be a really good OG and possibly OT then someone I think is going to be a huge bust like Allen. Years ago no one drafted OT in the early rounds but that obviously has changed. 

When you rewatch that game look at how well he pulls, picks up multiple guys and gets to the second level. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Johan isn’t a Joe Thomas but is able to play inside and outside so I wouldn’t care if they draft him at 3 or 10. I’ve never cared what slot a guy is drafted as long as he’s a good player that’s not going to be there for your next pick. The mentality that you can’t take a OG high in the draft is flawed. I’d rather draft a player I think is going to be a really good OG and possibly OT then someone I think is going to be a huge bust like Allen. Years ago no one drafted OT in the early rounds but that obviously has changed. 

When you rewatch that game look at how well he pulls, picks up multiple guys and gets to the second level. 

I’m absolutely of the same thought process as you. I think the perfect example to validate that is Brandon Scherff going #5 and Leonard Williams going #6. Scherff is a 3 time Pro Bowler and absolute anchor for the long haul and Leo is being considered for a trade. But I’m super picky here being that it’s a top 3 pick opposed to a top 5/6 pick.

I’m going to take note of that when I watch them though — I did notice how well he was playing at the second level. He did that very well. @Jet_Engine1 was the first one to mention that. He really played his ass off. Some guys, after the game, were acting like Ferrell owned him all night just from that one bad look. Actually looked like he lost his footing more than anything.

51 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I can understand you not being a college football fan if you are from the greater NY/NJ area....I didn't really like it until I moved here to Texas. And truth be told the college game is 10x better than the pro version.

Thanks.  It's not that I dislike it.  It's just that the rosters turn over so quickly that I have had trouble taking the time to get to know them and closely follow the teams.  Also, we had so many sports teams to watch in New York, where I grew up, that college football wasn't really as popular as it is in other parts of the country.  And there's also the fact that my wife seems to think I don't have the time to even watch the games on Sundays.  But when the draft approaches I start watching a lot of stuff on youtube.  It has a lot of passion and excitement, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Thanks.  It's not that I dislike it.  It's just that the rosters turn over so quickly that I have had trouble taking the time to get to know them and closely follow the teams.  Also, we had so many sports teams to watch in New York, where I grew up, that college football wasn't really as popular as it is in other parts of the country.  And there's also the fact that my wife seems to think I don't have the time to even watch the games on Sundays.  But when the draft approaches I start watching a lot of stuff on youtube.  It has a lot of passion and excitement, that's for sure.

I hear you. I grew up in Brooklyn and I didn't even know college ball existed....it was the Jets for me and I had a distant interest in the Giants. That was it.

There just wasn't a tradition in New York for it.

2 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

The pageantry and tradition to me...,plus, your players chose the university, and their love and commitment to your school is forever.  Not even close!  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m absolutely of the same thought process as you. I think the perfect example to validate that is Brandon Scherff going #5 and Leonard Williams going #6. Scherff is a 3 time Pro Bowler and absolute anchor for the long haul and Leo is being considered for a trade. But I’m super picky here being that it’s a top 3 pick opposed to a top 5/6 pick.

I’m going to take note of that when I watch them though — I did notice how well he was playing at the second level. He did that very well. @Jet_Engine1 was the first one to mention that. He really played his ass off. Some guys, after the game, were acting like Ferrell owned him all night just from that one bad look. Actually looked like he lost his footing more than anything.

@RobR is the guy to talk O line with. But yeah, Jonah was great in space and was getting out on Combo blocks, pulled a few times, and was opening up at the second level. 

The "bad" play looked like a miscommunication and he got caught and knocked down. It happens. 

1 hour ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I hear you. I grew up in Brooklyn and I didn't even know college ball existed....it was the Jets for me and I had a distant interest in the Giants. That was it.

There just wasn't a tradition in New York for it.

And now NYC is Big Ten country ??

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

bosa really better light it up at the combine. frankly we've seen these athletic guys before.  he's been out of football for over a full season and there's only so much one can train for on their own.  plus bro joey was easily handled by the patsie oline scrubs.

Archived