Trumaine Johnson

Jetsfan80

Trumaine's stats with Gregg Williams (2012, 2014-16):

• 13 INT's, 42 PD's, 194 tackles (166 solo), 7 TFL's in 53 games

Trumaine's stats without Gregg Williams (2013, 2017-18):

• 9 INT's, 30 PD's, 173 tackles (150 solo), 3 TFL's in 42 games

Honestly I was hoping for a better split.  His best season by far (2015), was under Williams, however.  7 INT's, 1 TD, 17 PD's, 71 tackles (58 solo), 1 TFL, 1 FR.

At 29 and getting paid the kind of money he is, let's hope Williams unleashes 2015 Trumaine here in 2019. 

Trumaine Johnson was the biggest disappointment on the team ( in my humble opinion) bar none. 

And the Cleveland game where he started up with Landry and got flagged over it . And the "quad injury". And 10 other moronic plays where he clearly looked like he was trying to get flagged. It just seemed like he clearly didn't give a sh*t for the overwhelming majority of the season.

What a drag. A rich one at that.

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

What’s his contract like? Can they let him walk?

He's the # 2 biggest hit against the cap in 2019 behind Leo, at $12 million.  (Leo is $14 million)

Cutting him right now would result in $24 million in "dead money", and we'd still be on the hook for his cap figure. 

Cut him after June 1, 2019, and we get a $12 million dead money hit and $0 cap savings. 

The earliest it would make financial sense to cut him is after June 1, 2020.  We'd end up with a $4 million dead money hit (spread out over two seasons) and save $11 million in cap space. 

So he's a virtual lock to be on the roster for the full 2019 season.  Hence why I hope Williams can get the most out of him in 2019, and perhaps beyond.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's the # 2 biggest hit against the cap in 2019 behind Leo, at $12 million.  (Leo is $14 million)

Cutting him right now would result in $24 million in "dead money", and we'd still be on the hook for his cap figure. 

Cut him after June 1, 2019, and we get a $12 million dead money hit and $0 cap savings. 

The earliest it would make financial sense to cut him is after June 1, 2020.  We'd end up with a $4 million dead money hit (spread out over two seasons) and save $11 million in cap space. 

So he's a virtual lock to be on the roster for the full 2019 season.  Hence why I hope Williams can get the most out of him in 2019, and perhaps beyond.

That’s ******* awful

Cornerback is becoming a position you need to draft and develop. 

Its obvuous Trumaine didnt have the physical skills anymore to play CB in the NFL. Maybe he was out of shape and will work harder in the offseason, but my bet is Trumaine knows he is done after this year and will be a complete non factor.

I just noticed that, somehow, Johnson got a 74.9 grade from PFF this past season, ranking him the # 25 corner in the NFL. 

The only way that's true is if all of the following are simultaneously true:

• Corner play league-wide is really that bad;
  • PFF is grading him on a curve because our system was bad;
  • PFF is also grading him on a curve because we couldn't generate an organic pass rush.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just noticed that, somehow, Johnson got a 74.9 grade from PFF this past season, ranking him the # 25 corner in the NFL. 

• PFF is also grading him on a curve because we couldn't generate a pass rush

PFF is clickbait 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• PFF is also grading him on a curve because we couldn't generate an organic pass rush.

25th in a league with 32 #1 corners isn’t very good 

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 QBs passed for 5k Yards. 

12 QBs passed for 4k yards (including Derek Carr who had zero weapons after Cooper was traded) 
Eli Manning was a train wreck this past year. Lose Odell. He managed to pass for 4300 yards.

This isn't 1986. Only a couple of teams ground and pound it (Seattle being the #1 culprit). 

The one thing I have noticed from Jets fans on this board is that they don't really watch other teams or understand the NFL outside of the Jets bubble. Don't get me wrong, Johnson was  disappointment this year because even if he was the #25 corner that doesn't justify his salary. But there are people on here that get a little dramatic and act as if Johnson was getting beat on every play. It's clearly not the case. 

19 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

PFF is clickbait 

It's the only tool available to the public that grades players on every play.  Football Outsiders is a solid tool as well, but only for QB's, skill players, and the play of offenses and defenses as a unit. 

Front offices can and do have much better tools at their disposal, but for now, there's not much else for us fans to go on.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Big Macc Baby!

Always structuring deals he can get out of in short order!

52 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Trumaine Johnson was the biggest disappointment on the team ( in my humble opinion) bar none. 

And the Cleveland game where he started up with Landry and got flagged over it . And the "quad injury". And 10 other moronic plays where he clearly looked like he was trying to get flagged. It just seemed like he clearly didn't give a sh*t for the overwhelming majority of the season.

What a drag. A rich one at that.

Lee and Williams say Hello!

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Tru is ridiculously underrated on this board

I don't think he's underrated OR overrated.  For a guy who is paid as highly as he is, I can understand the vitriol for lack of impact plays. 

With a pass rush and operating as a press corner, he'll look a lot better.  But I still wouldn't consider him a CB1.  He's a good CB2 being paid like a high-end CB1. 

He wasn't physically right most of the season and was playing for the worst DC in the league.  Both should be remedied in 19.

I think some of you underestimate how awful Rogers was.  It's not a coincidence that players never once mentioned Kacy Rogers names as someone they'll miss.

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

CB is pretty terrible these days, but not only that, while Johnson was mostly a disappointment, he did have a handful of good games which very likely helped him out significantly in his grade/rankings.  As fans, those of course don't particularly jump out to us considering what an overall disappointment he was compared to the expectations.  Not to mention, PFF doesn't give a crap how much the guy is getting paid, which obviously influences our perspective.

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

or as usual Jets fans are underrating their own players

Trumaine Johnson had several impact plays this year including the pick 6 TD

more than we can say for Josh McCown for example 

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Not to mention, PFF doesn't give a crap how much the guy is getting paid, which obviously influences our perspective.

yeah but the only reason Trumaine Johnson showed up was money 

there was no scenario where the Jets get a #1 CB type to show for a ring 

1 hour ago, Joe the Breadman said:

t just seemed like he clearly didn't give a sh*t for the overwhelming majority of the season.

That was rampant under Bowles. 

For me...I want to see what happens when he gets to play press man again, which is where he played that got him paid. How he was utilized is really baffling. 

21 minutes ago, Pac said:

He wasn't physically right most of the season and was playing for the worst DC in the league.  Both should be remedied in 19.

I think some of you underestimate how awful Rogers was.  It's not a coincidence that players never once mentioned Kacy Rogers names as someone they'll miss.

You're not wrong here.

Bowles' biggest failures were on the defensive side of the ball, and for his stubborn support of keeping his friend at DC while simultaneously firing OC's.  Made zero sense.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think you hit it with corner play just being mediocre at best... I honestly have to think really hard to name a 'stud' CB... 

Excuse me while I vomit a bunch of stats:

Almost every passing stat was up this year from last, and that's a trend. QBs averaged 237 yards a game up from 224... Although it was 241 in 2016, but still you can see the trend when you zoom out.

The total passing yards this year was 121,737 with 847 TD passes, vs 114.870 with 741 TDs in 2017...

Completion percentage was 64.9% this year vs. 62.1% last year... It was 60% in 2012, and has been climbing.

Yards per attempt were at 7.4 yards this year vs. 7,0 in 2017.

Passing TDs averaged 1.7, up from 1.4, while average INTs stayed the same at .08... Actually looking back, the last time the league averaged 1 interception a season was 2013. The last time the league managed 500 INTs in a season was 2013.

QB rating was 92.9 vs. 86.9 last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/passing.htm

TLDR; Offenses have been getting better and defenses haven't been keeping up, for the most part. CB play hasn't gotten better in years. 

I'm trying to dig up stats on opponents time to throw vs. CB performance, but haven't found anything that quite fits.

But I think we can all agree that if opponents have more time to throw, because there's 0 pressure, the worse CBs are going to look... Eventually someone gets open. So I do wonder where the Jets sat with those stats.

I'm not trying to let Johnson off the hook for this season with all my stat posts... Mostly just looking for reasons to think his play was more a result of the league and the overall defense than just him not being very good... 

Archived