Darnolds two worst games in 2018

WayneChrebet80

I like the idea of the two coaches having coached against us last year.  You now have two guys who can tell him how they planned to defend against him.  That helps his development just as much as watching his tape and doing physical drills.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Is this like when Rex brought in Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress because they did so well against "his defense"?

And they both played well. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to revise history. 

58 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They both played well in their first year with the team.

They also were both bad fits and locker room disasters that played a large part in the implosion of the Rex Ryan era.

Locker room chemistry is incredibly overrated. Half the guys in any given locker room probably hate each other. 

Now, if it affects play on the field, that's different. But I didn't see it affect play. They still ran their routes, they still tried to catch what was thrown to them and to get as many yards as possible. 

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

Locker room chemistry is incredibly overrated. Half the guys in any given locker room probably hate each other. 

Now, if it affects play on the field, that's different. But I didn't see it affect play. They still ran their routes, they still tried to catch what was thrown to them and to get as many yards as possible. 

Then you don't know much about the 2011 Jets. As @Jetsfan80 alluded to, read Collision Low Crossers. Chemistry is extremely important in football.

that game in cleveland was always going to be a loss

thursday night football almost always favors the home team, in general.

but no team in NFL history ever played 3 games in 10 days, with 2 of those being away games

the whole thing was arranged to have CLE break their win streak on National TV 

which is exactly what happened

the Jets actually started hot 14-0 (so much for gregg williams' genius) and then they simply ran out of gas. 

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Then you don't know much about the 2011 Jets. As @Jetsfan80 alluded to, read Collision Low Crossers. Chemistry is extremely important in football.

It's the cautionary tale of when you put too many sociopaths/divas in the same huddle.

You can have sociopaths on your team.  In fact, some of the best teams had a 1-2 of those, especially on defense.  Ray Lewis, James Harrison types, etc.  One diva at WR is acceptable too. 

A few too many sociopaths, and you run aground.  Think Cincinnati Bengals like, every season under Marvin Lewis. 

You need a solid compilation of highly talented AND high character guys, the latter which help keep the few high talent, sociopath/divas in relative check.  In 2009-10, that worked, because we had guys like Mangold, Ferguson, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson and Alan Faneca on offense and David Harris, Jim Leonhard, Shaun Ellis, etc on defense. 

But in 2011 we decided to surround 3 sociopathic divas around Mark Sanchez in the same offensive huddle:  Plaxico, Santonio and Derrick Mason.  They had an all-out mutiny in offensive meetings and had zero respect for Brian Schottenheimer (rightly so, but still).   And that season ended in disaster, to no one's surprise.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But in 2011 we decided to surround 3 sociopathic divas around Mark Sanchez in the same offensive huddle:  Plaxico, Santonio and Derrick Mason.  They had an all-out mutiny in offensive meetings and had zero respect for Brian Schottenheimer (rightly so, but still).   And that season ended in disaster, to no one's surprise.  

Right. I still think swapping out Cotchery for Mason is one of the dumbest moves in Jets history. I don't care if Cotch wanted out, he's exactly the kind of guy you want in the locker room. Mason was a disaster from the second they signed him.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

Mason was such a diva cancer, we traded him to the Texans in October of 2011 for a conditional 7th rounder.

In the final game of the 2011 season, team Captain Santonio Holmes got into an argument in the middle of the huddle and was benched the remainder of the game.  Captain!  He had just 51 catches that season, the 2nd lowest total of his career.

Burress did the best of the 3 in 2011, catching 8 TD's.  But he was a big part of the midseason mutiny in the offensive meetings. 

If you don't think that impacted the play on the field, you're blind.  The 2011 Jets entered that season with Super Bowl aspirations coming off an 11-5 season.  After an 8-5 start, we lost our final 3 games to miss the playoffs.

Again, read Collision Low Crossers if you think that the actions off the field didn't spill onto it.  We had an embedded reporter all season long writing about this stuff.  You're dead wrong on this one. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

but no team in NFL history ever played 3 games in 10 days, with 2 of those being away games

the Jets actually started hot 14-0 (so much for gregg williams' genius) and then they simply ran out of gas. 

Yes simply ran out of gas, it had nothing to do with Bowles not making any adjustments to the new QB coming in.  They just simply ran out of gas.  Also they had an overflow of gas when terrible Tyrod Taylor was in the game, they just ran out the moment the new QB came in.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

How many points did the Jets score after they had 14? You say they got tired, I say Williams made adjustments. You also forgot to mention one other minor detail. Baker Mayfield came off the bench and turned the game upside down. Here's more. The Jets started their season on a Monday, so 3 games in 11 days. Cleveland had 3 in 12. The only real disadvantage the Jets had was being the road team, but against a team that had been as bad as the Browns? Not insurmountable. That whole, "The NFL set it up to get Cleveland a win" thing isn't new around here, but it's still hysterically funny. Truth is, if Tyrod doesn't get hurt, Baker doesn't happen, and the Jets win.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

How many points did the Jets score after they had 14? You say they got tired, I say Williams made adjustments. You also forgot to mention one other minor detail. Baker Mayfield came off the bench and turned the game upside down. Here's more. The Jets started their season on a Monday, so 3 games in 11 days. Cleveland had 3 in 12. The only real disadvantage the Jets had was being the road team, but against a team that had been as bad as the Browns? Not insurmountable. That whole, "The NFL set it up to get Cleveland a win" thing isn't new around here, but it's still hysterically funny. Truth is, if Tyrod doesn't get hurt, Baker doesn't happen, and the Jets win.

mayfield goes 3n out except 322 decides to talk sh*t and extends their drive. you dont know WTF you are on about.

9 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Were against Williams in Cleveland and Gase in Miami. 

The Cleveland game I felt our coaches handcuffed Sam too much but yes Cleveland under Williams was a tough defense. That one Miami game was his worst game.  That was the 4 pick game right?

26 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

mayfield goes 3n out except 322 decides to talk sh*t and extends their drive. you dont know WTF you are on about.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're trying to saying here, but I think you missed the point of my post. Maybe because you don't know WTF you read. I wasn't arguing how Mayfield beat the Jets. I was trying to debunk the point the other poster made that the NFL set up the game for the Jets to win. That's why I brought up the Jets would've won if Mayfield hadn't come in for the injured Taylor. If the NFL did set up this whole elaborate scheme, they cut it awfully close. The Jets actually regained the lead 20-17 I think it was, after Darnold led the Jets to a FG late in the 4th. But hey, I'm the one who "don't know WTF I'm on about," right?

58 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm pretty sure I know what you're trying to saying here, but I think you missed the point of my post. Maybe because you don't know WTF you read. I wasn't arguing how Mayfield beat the Jets. I was trying to debunk the point the other poster made that the NFL set up the game for the Jets to win. That's why I brought up the Jets would've won if Mayfield hadn't come in for the injured Taylor. If the NFL did set up this whole elaborate scheme, they cut it awfully close. The Jets actually regained the lead 20-17 I think it was, after Darnold led the Jets to a FG late in the 4th. But hey, I'm the one who "don't know WTF I'm on about," right?

fairly played.

Gase talked about facing Darnold the second in time in if his interviews. He was very impressed with Darnold after facing him the first time. In the first game they were focusing on running out the clock at the end of the game because they were worried if they gave the ball back to Sam he might score again.

in the second game they completely changed all their defensive coverages so Darnold would be unfamiliar with the defensive looks. Miami had extra time to prepare because they were coming off a Thursday game. 

Bates the moron was probably clueless which contributed to the offense looking terrible that day.

11 hours ago, PCP63 said:

And they both played well. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to revise history. 

Santonio Holmes was here for four seasons. His first year was pretty good.  His second year not as good.  His third year he  was hurt, played four games on a massive contract, that wasn't good.  His final year was a total disaster. Caught 20 passes, was a malingerer and a malcontent. Caught 1/3 of the passes thrown to him. The truth of the matter is Santonio Holmes never caught more than 52 balls, gained more than 750 yards, or scored more than 8 touchdowns in a single season for the Jets. He only played a full 16 game season once.  These are hardly the stats worthy of a Superbowl MVP.  Certainly not what the Jets expected nor paid for.  In Plaxico Burress lone season with the Jets he caught 45 passes for 610 yards and 8 touchdowns. He produced at about  the same rate as Santonio  Holmes' better seasons with the Jets  for a lot less money and with a lot less "scandal" and turmoil. That's the history, revised or not.

27 minutes ago, nico002 said:

2 of the 4 picks were on desperation 4th down attempts where a pick is literally better than an incompletion. The game was bad but it’s level of terribleness is overrated. This wasn’t Sanchez vs. the Bills bad.

So Darnold is an elite QB and an elite punter?

Archived