Can we assUme that Dowell Loggains is the new OC?

rayzor

Now that we have our DC and STC coaches officially locked up, the major piece remaining is the OC.  Is the hiring of Dowell Loggains a foregone conclusion?  Gase has repeatedly said in interviews that there are coaches that he wants to talk to that are still under contract.  Loggains is still under contract with the Phins until Flores gets to pick his own staff.  Which means we have to wait until the Pats post season run ends.  While most people here dread the thought of Loggains, Gase did also say that he will be the QB coach and will be calling the plays as well.  It is his scheme.  Here is some info on Loggains:

Tennessee Titans (2008–2009)
Offensive quality control coordinator

Tennessee Titans (2010–2011)
Quarterbacks coach for Vince Young and Matt Hasselbeck

Tennessee Titans (2012–2013)
Offensive coordinator - ranked 26th and 22nd with Locker/Hasselbeck/Fitzpatrick as QB's.

Cleveland Browns (2014)
Quarterbacks coach  for Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel

Chicago Bears (2015)
Quarterbacks coach for Jay Cutler - Gase was his OC

Chicago Bears (2016–2017)
Offensive coordinator - ranked 15th and 30th with Barkley/ Cutler/Hoyer/Trubisky and Glennon as his QB's

Miami Dolphins (2018–present)
Offensive coordinator - ranked 31st with Tannehill and Osweiler as his QB's.  Gase was the HC

Gase clearly rates and values Loggains for his input during the week, in game planning, running drills, handling film study etc.

That helps to free Gase for the other aspects of a HC's job.

On Sundays, when it counts, it will be Gase's show.

I know Loggains is seen as a joke by many, but Gase values him and Loggains won't be calling plays. So let him hire his guy, if that is what he wants to do.

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Now that we have our DC and STC coaches supposedly locked up, the major piece remaining is the OC.  Is the hiring of Dowell Loggains a foregone conclusion?

Why worry about it now?  When it's official, it'll be official.  It's not like we're playing games on Sunday, right.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

An OC that does not call plays is barely an OC at all.  And that's good news, because he is not good at that job.

He's more of a "consultant". 

Do we know that for sure? He has had Cutler/Osweiller/Tannehill/Barkley/Trubisky as his QBs. If he was the OC under Andy Reid this year, he would have had the same job and looked like a genius because of Reid/Mahomes/Hill/Kelce/Hunt etc...

Don't get me wrong, if we had hired Vic Fangio as our DC and Loggains as our OC to groom Darnold I would NOT be happy, but I think it's a little premature to just assume the guy is horrible. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

An OC that does not call plays is barely an OC at all.  And that's good news, because he is not good at that job.

There is so much to being an OC beyond calling the plays. Designing the O --- which includes route combinations, formations,  modifications to suit current personnel (i.e. putting the ball into your best players hands), game planning and installing the O.  While admittedly, this will all be likely done by Gase (with his OC's help), I can't stand that people think an OC's main job is to call the plays. In fact, I think teams should audition coaches as "play callers" because the qualities that make a good play caller have nothing to do with all of the other crap a good OC has to do.

And if play calling is what makes a good OC, Eric Bienemy would not have been considered for HC jobs this season after only 1 year of Reid's OC. And Matt Nagy would not have been hires as the Bear's HC last year.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

At what, exactly? 

Well Simms has a podcast and he is on pro football talk...his draft analysis and game film breakdown is second to none as far as whats available in the media. Orlovsky has come onto the scene recently but i think has become regarded as an analyst on espn and social media.

I am not sure if you are asking seriously or not, but if you are...i suggest subscribing to bleacher report on youtube and listening.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The problem is there's literally no evidence to suggest he's any good at that either.

The only argument in favor of Loggains is if we all just assume the Jets are paying him to do absolutely nothing.  Hardly inspiring.

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The problem is there's literally no evidence to suggest he's any good at that either.

The only argument in favor of Loggains is if we all just assume the Jets are paying him to do absolutely nothing.  Hardly inspiring.

Maybe Dildo Baggins is Igor to Gase's Dr. Frankenstein

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

There is so much to being an OC beyond calling the plays. Designing the O --- which includes route combinations, formations,  modifications to suit current personnel (i.e. putting the ball into your best players hands), game planning and installing the O.  While admittedly, this will all be likely done by Gase (with his OC's help), I can't stand that people think an OC's main job is to call the plays. In fact, I think teams should audition coaches as "play callers" because the qualities that make a good play caller have nothing to do with all of the other crap a good OC has to do.

And if play calling is what makes a good OC, Eric Bienemy would not have been considered for HC jobs this season after only 1 year of Reid's OC. And Matt Nagy would not have been hires as the Bear's HC last year.

It's not the only part of the job, but Gase himself has called it the "best part of the job".  

He'll be leaving the boring, workmanlike stuff to Loggains. 

19 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I am not sure if you are asking seriously or not, but if you are...i suggest subscribing to bleacher report on youtube and listening.

I would never, ever subscribe to Bleacher Report.

I was making a joke about those 2 guys being horrible QB's. 

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Matt LaFleur was the Rams "OC" working under Sean McVay. Somehow LaFleur has parlayed that into being a play calling OC in Tennessee, and most recently into a play calling head coach in Green Bay. If the Jets take off this year then teams in need of a head coach will be looking for some Gase clones. 

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Matt LaFleur was the Rams "OC" working under Sean McVay. Somehow LaFleur has parlayed that into being a play calling OC in Tennessee, and most recently into a play calling head coach in Green Bay. If the Jets take off this year then teams in need of a head coach will be looking for some Gase clones. 

Very true.  Doesn't make them smart hires though. 

58 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Now that we have our DC and STC coaches supposedly locked up, the major piece remaining is the OC.  Is the hiring of Dowell Loggains a foregone conclusion?  Gase has repeatedly said in interviews that there are coaches that he wants to talk to that are still under contract.  Loggains is still under contract with the Phins until Flores gets to pick his own staff.  Which means we have to wait until the Pats post season run ends.  While most people here dread the thought of Loggains, Gase did also say that he will be the QB coach and will be calling the plays as well.  It is his scheme.  Here is some info on Loggains:

Tennessee Titans (2010–2011)
Quarterbacks coach for Vince Young and Matt Hasselbeck

Tennessee Titans (2012–2013)
Offensive coordinator - ranked 26th and 22nd with Locker/Hasselbeck/Fitzpatrick as QB's.

Cleveland Browns (2014)
Quarterbacks coach  for Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel

Chicago Bears (2015)
Quarterbacks coach for Jay Cutler - Gase was his OC

Chicago Bears (2016–2017)
Offensive coordinator - ranked 15th and 30th with Barkley/ Cutler/Hoyer/Trubisky and Glennon as his QB's

Miami Dolphins (2018–present)
Offensive coordinator - ranked 31st with Tannehill and Osweiler as his QB's.  Gase was the HC

OC under Gase is like DC under Rex, it virtually doesn't matter.  The DC is the more important hire.

The man has coached in the NFL since 2010, yet this thread is littered with "experts" who are mocking him and saying he's incapable of doing his job. With all due respect, how the hell would any of you know better then the people he works with? Who by the way, happen to be NFL coaches, and who continue to employ him?

I think it’s amusing that people assume the plays being called are just pulled out of thin air on gameday. An OC has a litany of things to do through the week in preparation to gameday and including on gameday, even if he isn’t calling plays. Suggesting anything less just proves ones naivety / lack of experience. 

Archived