Sam Darnold interview at the Stance in Irvine

HelenOfTroy

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Patriot Killa will watch it and provide details.

You're the man PK!!

Dude I got you! 

Jeff: being so young and coming on to a team full of guys in their 30’s, being the fresh face, etc. is that intimidating?

Sam: yeah, a little intimidating at first. Especially when you have to do all the rookie stuff. They don’t call it hazing anymore haha but —

Jeff: tell us some of the rookie things that you had to do.

Sam: main thing was carrying some of the OL’s pads and helmets after practice. They also would put us in these weird tubs. He couldn’t use the regular ice tubs. We had to use these kitty pools. But nothing too crazy. There’s so many rules and so many phones and taking videos, organizations can get in trouble. 

— calls Josh McCown one of the most incredible human beings that he’s ever met. Helped him along the way. Helped him out with rookie process. Says the hazing was a little bit difficult to deal with but it was awesome, believe it or not, it really should me the ropes and what it takes to be in the NFL. Helped him grow with his teammates.

Jeff: coming into camp and seeing two vets McCown and Teddy. with all the hype around the brand new QB. #3 Pick.  Do you have to be aware of how you carry yourself? Do you have to be careful, not assume your the starter? How do you approach it?

Sam: for me it was more about coming in and just being myself. 

— says Teddy is an incredible person, too. Doesn’t forget the advice that Teddy gave him in his first few weeks. Teddy could see he was stressed with trying to learn the playbook at such a fast pace. Teddy pointed out the things he needed to learn first. Spent extra time in film room. Teddy told him to be himself and at the end of the day, the locker room will respect you. Sam took it to heart and settled down, came to work like he would at USC, stayed his soft spoken self and he gained respect like that.

Jeff: Difference in studying a college playbook and NFL playbook.

Sam: I redshirted freshman year, had a whole year to grasp playbook so it’s different from that standpoint but all in all, it’s kind of the same. Now there are different intricacies and different ways to call plays. Lots of verbiage in the plays because a lot of coaches have a long history in coaching and so their verbiage kind of goes back a long ways. In WCO you have it for typical formations. At USC one or two words would be a whole play. With the Jets it’s the formation, Shift, another formation on top of that, call protection and then maybe another play that you have to “kill” it to in order to change the play if I see a certain look

Jeff: Is studying a playbook a nightmare? It seems like a nightmare with how much info has to be processed. I think my kids science work is a nightmare.

Sam: science studying was a nightmare for me too haha. But I think for me and especially for you young kids sitting here. Learning how to learn is the most important thing you can do. Whether it be science, math, playbook, job. It will help you learn faster because you know how to approach it in order to understand it. 

— credits family for raising him, teaching him and his sister how to learn and it helped him grasp the playbook. He was use to being up at night studying science and math. Helped him study playbook just as hard. Just kind of flowed. Got the playbook down fast, was about to play faster and be comfortable playing out there because of it.

Jeff: you were just in high school 5 years ago and you have people coming up to you, “Sam! Sam!”. This is your life now. Does it feel weird?

Sam: it’s kind of a trip sometimes, yeah. But it reminds me of how far i’ve come. Makes me think of all the people that helped me get here. From pop warner coaches to AAU basketball coaches and on up. And they taught me just as much as my college coach teaching me how to drop back on a snap. Could never thank them enough.

Jeff: from meeting your parents and all in San Clemente. They said you were a beach kid. Always in flip flops so when you got drafted by the Jets and you’re in NY. Did you have a “holy crap” moment.

Sam: yes. During the bye week, I was going into the city on the weekend. Just getting out and relaxing with some friends. It was one of the biggest snow days of the year and really one of the only time that it snowed and no one was prepared for it. All the freeways shut down. So I’m like, I guess we aren’t going into the city today. Then someone suggested we take a train and I’m like wait ... im in NY now. I can just take the train. That was one for my holy crap moments. 

— says also that it snows. gotta get use to that. Had to change mindset. Think about some things he’s never had to think about. Different in Cali. 

Jeff: Have you had a Jets fan come up to you and say “DARNOLD YOU SUCK”? Because that’s what we do in NY.

Sam: Nope. Only divisional rival fans. They can get pretty rough but it doesn’t matter haha. It’s gonna happen every where except for MetLife when we are at home because those fans are nothing but gracious and amazing.

Jeff: you were just in high school 5 years ago........ 

Won't turn 22 until early June. Nice to have a year of pro ball under your belt at that age!

Looking forward to a sustained growth and development in year 2.

Mayfield 24 in April...... Sammy will be light years ahead of  him at same age.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Thought you guys may be interested.

Long, for those of you with the attention span of a gnat.

The Spectrum Center, I went there in 1997 when it was pretty new....worked for good 'ol Thomas Brothers Maps right before Rand bought them. 

Jeff: So you have a new coach now, obviously you have been brought up in discussions since they brought in an offensive minded coach. When you find out Todd Bowles is let go. He was your first coach. How do you respond to that?

Sam: first of all coach Bowles is a great dude. You hate to see anyone be let go who works so hard at their profession and treats people so greatly as coach Bowles does. But it’s the decision that the upper management made and as a team we roll with it. 

Jeff: does he call you or do you call him or how does that work?

Sam: no it’s just kind of cut throat. It happened. Kind of like on a game. If I fumble or throw a pick. It’s just like okay well I gotta move on. I had a close relationship with coach Bowles so for me it was just going into his office and saying goodbye so there was kinda that moment. But for a lot of the guys. There’s so many players on the roster. Not everyone gets their chance to say goodbye but I got to. Coach Bowles is a great dude and I know that he will be missed around the organization but I also know that we are very very excited about coach Gase and coach Gregg Williams, he just got hired today.

Sam: one thing about Coach Gase is that his offensive mind is INSANE. Great offensive mind. 

*Brings Up Peyton Manning and Gase’s years in Denver.*

— excited about getting with coach and the creativity that he has. I know the guys are just as excited and after talking to Jamal a little bit today, he’s super excited about working with Gregg Williams. We have a really good staff together with the Jets and we’re excited about where this team is heading.

Jeff: you are going to go down as part of a Draft Class Of QB’s and that’s inevitable. Jet fans will tell you...draft class of 83’.. John Elway, Dan Marino, Ken O’Brian, Tony Easion, Tom Blackledge. I think your draft class will be very similar. Do you feel like you are going thru it together or are they just guys that you are playing against?

Sam: A little bit of both. We were together during the draft process and just sharing stories, guessing who we may be drafted by. Once we got drafted though, it was time to put the blinders on and just get to work. Haven’t really talked to though guys much. I did text Josh Allen a few times around the time that we were both going through injuries. everyone is so talented and I’m excited to see where this draft class goes and how it shapes out.

Jeff: how do you feel about kids playing football, the dangers, ect.

Sam: CTE analystics are very beneficial and a reason to maybe hold back a little if you are a parent but also lots of helmet technology. Definitely not going to tell anyone how to parent but if my kid wants to play football, I’m going to start them out in flag football and if he likes that and he’s wanting to play tackle, I’m going to put him in pop warner. 

Jeff: a lot of times football players. They grow up playing one sport and that’s it. You were a great basketball player, could of played in college. Is their any benefit to playing more than one sport growing up?

Sam: definitely. Felt like I was good at all sports and I was always wanting to get to the next one. If your child doesn’t want to play a certain sport then don’t force them. It’s imporant to diversify if you can but that’s just my opinion. Playing all those sports helped me see things differently as an athlete.

Jeff: what’s the worst hit you took this year?

Sam: uh, there were a lot hahaha. Because being a rookie, I don’t think the refs really would take care of me as good as they would for Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. 

Jeff: And I bet the DL-men don’t either haha.

Sam: haha nooo. They hate rookies. But with that being said, one of the hardest hits I took was from JJ Watt and it’s funny because he’s actually one of the nicest people I’ve met after a game. It was a little screen pass and I thought I had a bunch of time because, you know, it was a screen. The defense, they kind of felt it out, started covering the halfback a little bit. So I was just trying to figure how how I could throw it out with speed, quickly, get the incompletion and punt the ball. It was the first drive of the Texans game and JJ Watt comes around the corner and I’m not even looking that way. And I have my arm up ready to throw the ball, don’t know I didn’t fumble that, Watt comes once and blindsides me. I hit my head on the ground and was kinda hazy. Didn’t even know he was the one that hit me, I look up and Watts talking some trash — that i can’t repeat haha. I got back to the sideline and was telling josh..man that happened quick.

Fan questions now...

Fan: you go from Bowles who is reserved to Gase and Williams who are...not. How will the locker room respond to that?

Sam: we’ll respond well. When people say that the team takes on the personality of the coach, that’s very true. With the young team that we have. It’ll be very positive. We’ll be very energetic. Very energetic on offense/defense. We’ll control the pace a little bit. We’ll go uptempo. We’ll slow it down. We'll change things up. And with Coach Gase knowing pretty much..everything about football! And just talking to him as much as I could these last two weeks, I’m very excited where our offense is going to go and more importantly where our defense is headed with Coach Williams.

Fan: does the success of your last 4 games have anything to the fact that you sat out the three games before and were able to sit and watch.

Sam: I think it was huge. It was also huge to watch Josh. Watching Josh go about a week and how to prepare. How to go through a walkthrough and how to watch film. Because he would always explain things and how to do things and I would be like “oh okay. I’m going to do it like that” and it’s one thing to hear how to do it but it was another thing to watch him go about doing it and understanding exactly what I need to do. Not only watching Josh play but what was even more was watching Bates. What he was thinking, how he wanted to call plays. talking and being next to David Webb. What he seen during games. Because he’s a really smart guy too.

Jeff: Almost very Jet player that I’ve talked to in the last however many years — they stay in NJ suburbs and only go to NYC in a SUV like 3 times a year. Did you go to NYC?

Sam: yeah sometimes but you aren’t wrong at all. I live in NJ right now. It’s about an hour away from the city. I love being away. I can get my work done and it’s very quiet and peaceful in Jersey. And if I wanna have a weekend in the city, I can. It’s an awesome place to be and I don’t have any concerns with getting stuck in the city or anything like that.

Jeff: Do you know your way around the city at all?

Sam: uhh no haha I just Uber.

PK, hope these bums appreciate all this work!  Hopefully next video or article about Sam from back home won’t require a lengthy transcription.

Think I mentioned that my season tickets (tailgate) the past 10+ years is thru Jordan Palmers’ father in law, so I hear things now and then.  I know Sam will be working out with him and some of the other starting QBs in the NFL that are Jordans’ clients. Jordan and Sam are very close, Jordan’s kids call Sam “Uncle Sam”

Sometimes we hear interesting tidbits from around the league.

Hue Jackson came around USC looking for a job after he was fired from the Browns....and like he’s always done, he threw blame on everyone else in the Browns organization under the bus..,,?

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

PK, hope these bums appreciate all this work!  Hopefully next video or article about Sam from back home won’t require a lengthy transcription.

Think I mentioned that my season tickets (tailgate) the past 10+ years is thru Jordan Palmers’ father in law, so I hear things now and then.  I know Sam will be working out with him and some of the other starting QBs in the NFL that are Jordans’ clients. Sometimes we hear interesting tidbits around the league.

Hue Jackson came around USC looking for a job after he was fired from the Browns....and like he’s always done, he threw blame on everyone else in the Browns organization under the bus..,,?

That's all you guys need. As if things aren't bad enough at SC these days.?

Archived