playtowinthegame

Christopher Johnson changing Jets power structure

Right after Todd Bowles was fired, Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said he wouldn’t change the power structure of the franchise. A couple of weeks and a new head coach later and that has changed.

The original structure saw the head coach, formerly Todd Bowles, and general manager Mike Maccagnan, reporting to directly to Johnson, rather than Bowles to Maccagnan and then Maccagnan to Johnson. That structure initially began when Woody Johnson was still running the team. Now that younger brother Christopher has been in charge for two years, he’s changing things up.

“This is just the way we like to run things, but I’m going to do it a bit differently this year than last,” Johnson said while on ESPN’s The Michael Kay Show.

Many were left puzzled when Johnson said he would keep the same structure after the Jets fired Bowles. It didn’t work between Bowles and Maccagnan, as they didn’t see eye to eye on player evaluation. Clearly, Johnson realized a change was in order, though he didn’t get into specifics regarding what will be different.

“I’m going to keep that between me and the coach and Mike,” Johnson said.

It’s really a simple fix for the Jets. They need to have Adam Gase report to Maccagnan, who then reports to ownership. Whatever Johnson decides to do, it can’t be anything like the old system or the organization will continue to lack direction.

I like the idea of the coach reporting to the GM, but it will be interesting to see what happens when/if the Jets don't make the playoffs next season. Mike Maccagnan will have been here 5 years without ever making the playoffs. You can't keep Mac after 5 failed attempts to make the playoffs, and with the new power structure, you'd have to find a GM who would want to keep Adam Gase. You really don't want Sam Darnold going on his 3rd head coach and offensive coordinator in as many years he's been in the league. I would think Peyton Manning's name may come up when the Jets need to rebuild their front office a year from now. Hell, Peyton Manning already made his first unofficial move as the Jets GM when he made that phone call to Christopher Johnson to sell him on Adam Gase, which ultimately made Christopher Johnson oveRhule Mike Maccagnan when it came time to pick a new head coach.

• Upvote 1

Peyton Manning as GM ohhhh gawd 😮

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

gee golly, it's almost like the people in charge have no earthly idea what they're doing

Almost?

• Haha 1

Maccagnan now reports directly to the ballboy. Senior ballboy,  so....

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Mike MacCagnan will be here for at least two more years.  Bank on it.

Yea that makes sense. Oh well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Swell

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If the Jets don't make the playoffs and also have a losing season, you can bank on Mike Maccagnan getting sh*t canned. 

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Clearly, Johnson realized a change was in order, though he didn’t get into specifics regarding what will be different.

So it's a Double Secret Probation kind of structure?

How many alternative options for organizational structure are there?  Hell, there's really only 4 commonly used in business.  Currently we have a "Flatarchy".  Pick one of the other 3.

https://www.allbusiness.com/4-common-types-organizational-structures-103745-1.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I'd say 3 years.  It's been reported that Williams signed a 3 year contract.  Suspect if this Gase, Williams, Macc thing doesn't work out, they'll toss em all out together.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

If the Jets don't make the playoffs and also have a losing season, you can bank on Mike Maccagnan getting sh*t canned. 

After year two I agree with you.  This year is a grace period.  Christopher Johnson probably decided that the previous power structure handicapped Macc to the point where he decided to try it a new way.  That is why he, {MacCagnan}  was so involved and had influence in the Coaching search/hires.  He is going to take MacCagnan's input and make the final decision, as he did {I suspect} in the Gase and Williams hires.  He is going to give it time to work.  That's been his history and I've seen no reason to think otherwise.  Thus the "No mandate to make the playoffs" comment.  That says two years.  Doesn't mean I like it just means that's the way it looks to me.  Also, giving the Gase/MacCagnan/Williams  "dynamic" only one year, to make a judgement on it's merits, is too short a period of time.  That being said there is no way this team wins 4 or 5 games next year.  That could change things, but won't happen.

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'd say 3 years.  It's been reported that Williams signed a 3 year contract.  Suspect if this Gase, Williams, Macc thing doesn't work out, they'll toss em all out together.

That's why all these people who wanted Macc to get "one more year with a real HC" were talking crazy.  If you wanted Macc back, you wanted him back for 3+ more years.  Because we can't possible force Gase onto the next GM.  Front office guys who would be worth making the GM would rather sit and wait for the right situation than take a GM position in a bad situation.  They'd also want to pick their own HC. 

And you also don't want a GM drafting with the thought in his mind that he only has 1 more year.  That changes his draft philosophy so that he is only thinking about 2019, not the next 5-10 years of the franchise's future.  Dangerous place to be. 

Firing Macc along with Bowles was the only sensible decision to make this offseason, but we f***ed that up, and are stuck with Macc for the foreseeable future. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

And what GM will take this job where they can't pick the HC?

There's no former team Gase has been on where there would be front office people to pull from.  Miami was a disaster.  He was only in Chicago for one season.  That just leaves Denver.  And they didn't even consider interviewing Gase for the HC position this offseason. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Peyton Manning, after all, he got him hired.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

So we'll hire a guy to run our football team who has never had any part in running a football team.  What are we, the Mets?

But hey, I'm down.  Can't be any worse than Macc!

• Upvote 1

This is not to say the changes will work, but I am happy CJ has turned things on their head with the Jets. Repeating the same old things that never got us anywhere would have been insane and soul crushing.

Broken from the last 1-2 decade Jets norm this off season:

• Offensive Head Coach
  • Experienced Head Coach
  • 4-3 Defensive Coordinator
  • Changed Power Structure

Of course the proof will be in the pudding, but I for one am happy to see a fresh approach at 1 Jets drive. This is the first positive thing I've seen from ownership in a long time. Maybe CJ can actually help turn things around.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no former team Gase has been on where there would be front office people to pull from.  Miami was a disaster.  He was only in Chicago for one season.  That just leaves Denver.  And they didn't even consider interviewing Gase for the HC position this offseason. 

therfe are only 5 open spots in mhy top 5 posters on JN, and i aheventg even considered jetfan80.

what does that mean? nothing. just like this.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

If Mac had a big hand in the hiring of Gase, and Gase now reports to Mac, I give the whole organization two years to become a genuine contender or they're all fired. 

Macc reportedly had Rhule as his # 1 choice. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How many alternative options for organizational structure are there?  Hell, there's really only 4 commonly used in business.  Currently we have a "Flatarchy".  Pick one of the other 3.

https://www.allbusiness.com/4-common-types-organizational-structures-103745-1.html

Prolly looks something like this:

Peyote and caffeine-induced hallucinations that drive these ridiculous moves

^

CJ                              &                          Macc

^

Gase                             &                           Williams                  |                      (Whoever they run into in the hallway)

^                                                                                                                                               ^

OC                                                                                                                              Miscellaneous personnel

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Chris Johnson studied business. It was 16th century agrarian business...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

Manning didn't want to live here when he was 21 he's not moving here now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Put the pieces together: Gase and McCagnan report to Chris. The Jets had their eye on Williams prior to hiring Gase. I bet all three, Williams, Gase and McCagnan, report directly to Chris. Then what we have heard would add up. All the pieces fit. I wonder...

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Peyton Manning as GM ohhhh gawd 😮

The funny part is that Peyton Manning....who's rumored to want a Front Office gig one day...would hire Adam Gase as his HC 10 out of 10 times

7 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

Put the pieces together: Gase and McCagnan report to Chris. The Jets had their eye on Williams prior to hiring Gase. I bet all three, Williams, Gase and McCagnan, report directly to Chris. Then what we have heard would add up. All the pieces fit. I wonder...

If true that would mean The Johnsons are truly bigger buffoons then we thought

2 hours ago, slats said:

If Mac had a big hand in the hiring of Gase, and Gase now reports to Mac, I give the whole organization two years to become a genuine contender or they're all fired. 

Logical. If Macc is fired after a year or two, who would take this GM job being forced to keep Gase and Williams. Would make no sense and has that ever been done 🤔 ohhh uhhh 

Sorry, but people born rich should never be given positions of authority without passing some sort of basic skills exams.

This would solve many problems.  In football and well beyond.

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Right after Todd Bowles was fired, Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said he wouldn’t change the power structure of the franchise. A couple of weeks and a new head coach later and that has changed.

The original structure saw the head coach, formerly Todd Bowles, and general manager Mike Maccagnan, reporting to directly to Johnson, rather than Bowles to Maccagnan and then Maccagnan to Johnson. That structure initially began when Woody Johnson was still running the team. Now that younger brother Christopher has been in charge for two years, he’s changing things up.

“This is just the way we like to run things, but I’m going to do it a bit differently this year than last,” Johnson said while on ESPN’s The Michael Kay Show.

Many were left puzzled when Johnson said he would keep the same structure after the Jets fired Bowles. It didn’t work between Bowles and Maccagnan, as they didn’t see eye to eye on player evaluation. Clearly, Johnson realized a change was in order, though he didn’t get into specifics regarding what will be different.

It’s really a simple fix for the Jets. They need to have Adam Gase report to Maccagnan, who then reports to ownership. Whatever Johnson decides to do, it can’t be anything like the old system or the organization will continue to lack direction.

I like the idea of the coach reporting to the GM, but it will be interesting to see what happens when/if the Jets don't make the playoffs next season. Mike Maccagnan will have been here 5 years without ever making the playoffs. You can't keep Mac after 5 failed attempts to make the playoffs, and with the new power structure, you'd have to find a GM who would want to keep Adam Gase. You really don't want Sam Darnold going on his 3rd head coach and offensive coordinator in as many years he's been in the league. I would think Peyton Manning's name may come up when the Jets need to rebuild their front office a year from now. Hell, Peyton Manning already made his first unofficial move as the Jets GM when he made that phone call to Christopher Johnson to sell him on Adam Gase, which ultimately made Christopher Johnson oveRhule Mike Maccagnan when it came time to pick a new head coach.

Well ironically most of us would have to at least consider whether or not Manning is a better football mind for these type of recommendations than Mac is. lets face it Mac has never picked a HC and if we were to say neither has Manning then I would gather they both have the same level of experience doing it which is none. Manning may be similiar to Elway in this regard, and Elway maybe having problems picking QBs, but he at least hit in picking Manning which got his team 2 SBs during Manning's tenure there and winning one of them. I'd sign up for that in a heart beat.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's why all these people who wanted Macc to get "one more year with a real HC" were talking crazy.  If you wanted Macc back, you wanted him back for 3+ more years.  Because we can't possible force Gase onto the next GM.  Front office guys who would be worth making the GM would rather sit and wait for the right situation than take a GM position in a bad situation.  They'd also want to pick their own HC. 

And you also don't want a GM drafting with the thought in his mind that he only has 1 more year.  That changes his draft philosophy so that he is only thinking about 2019, not the next 5-10 years of the franchise's future.  Dangerous place to be. 

Firing Macc along with Bowles was the only sensible decision to make this offseason, but we f***ed that up, and are stuck with Macc for the foreseeable future. 

I love you guys that try and see into the future. Gase is HC right now, Gregg Williams is DC right now and Mac is GM right now. The only future portend I want to see is who the Jets get in the draft and FA.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Half expected to open this thread and read that Gregg Williams will report directly to Johnson

• Haha 2