Christopher Johnson changing Jets power structure

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Prolly looks something like this:

Peyote and caffeine-induced hallucinations that drive these ridiculous moves

^

CJ                              &                          Macc

^

Gase                             &                           Williams                  |                      (Whoever they run into in the hallway)

^                                                                                                                                               ^

OC                                                                                                                              Miscellaneous personnel

You left out Madame Cleo.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

If Mac had a big hand in the hiring of Gase, and Gase now reports to Mac, I give the whole organization two years to become a genuine contender or they're all fired. 

100% and I think a 4 win debacle this season and they are both out 

I wonder if they left the organization the same while hunting for a HC. They were whale hunting, and both the GM and the HC reporting to Chris would give a big time HC a little separation. This way, the HC wouldn't worry about being tied to a GM that might be gone in 2 years. Also, if the HC wanted more control, they could arrange that as well. Once they didn't move forward with McCarthy (or a like) and they have Gase, they could move to a more normal structure. Just a thought...

29 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I wonder if they left the organization the same while hunting for a HC. They were whale hunting, and both the GM and the HC reporting to Chris would give a big time HC a little separation. This way, the HC wouldn't worry about being tied to a GM that might be gone in 2 years. Also, if the HC wanted more control, they could arrange that as well. Once they didn't move forward with McCarthy (or a like) and they have Gase, they could move to a more normal structure. Just a thought...

Whale Hunting?  Mike McCarthy?  What are you getting at?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Why would Peyton Manning ruin his perfect life to become the GM of the NYJ?

image.jpeg.thumb.jpg.22274c9f78597ada2088af0b85bf5755.jpg

ALBERT BREER

November 30, 2017

Peyton’s next step? Soon, we’ll have my annual Future GMs list in this space, and there’s one name you won’t see in there that could well be occupying a lead chair in someone’s organization come January: Peyton Manning. The Colts/Broncos legend has long eyed a football czar role, going back to when he was playing, and you can bet there will be clubs working to lure him from retirement in Colorado. So the obvious next question is whether he carries the credentials needed outside of just being the player he was for 18 NFL seasons. And most of the people who’ve been around him will answer that question for you quickly. One Broncos staffer told me, “There’d honestly be no one better.”

Manning has prepared for it, and had a front-row seat for four years in Denver to watch John Elway, with whom he has a similar background (although Elway did run an Arena League team). Those who were around Manning as a player watched him keep close tabs on every facet of the NFL. The draft. Free agency. The coaching industry. The scouting community. All of it. And the rest, he can learn as a guy who brings experience as a player that very few of the planet ever could. “He’ll be extremely successful in anything he chooses to do because of the person is, how smart he is and how hard he works,” said one personnel man who worked with him in Indy. “He’ll be extremely well prepared, have done research on the job and an understanding of what the job entails. And he wouldn’t go into the job with unanswered questions or just to try it. He goes into everything with the deepest commitment, desire and work ethic. He’s always seen and understood the biggest picture, and he’ll set a vision and high standard for an organization. Winning will be paramount, and he’ll grind and work, he won’t be a figurehead or a guy that hangs out with the owner. He loves the nuts and bolts of football, and knows and loves the game, players and coaches. He’ll be able to put the whole landscape together from a uniquely informed perspective, knows what it takes and will attract top people. He won’t suffer other agendas and obviously has the résumé to set that line. The challenge won’t be football. It’ll be if there are spots in the organization that don’t meet his standard or share his commitment.” So why is a GM job right for him? Well, as I’ve heard it, coaching wouldn’t quite satisfy the businessman in him, and TV wouldn’t give him the competition he wants. Being a football czar, as we’ve said before, would give him both. And so it’ll be interesting to see where this goes now, with calls coming in—and his old buddy Jimmy Haslam potentially asking first to come and save the sad-sack Browns.

Welp, Peyton just unofficially made his first move as President of the Jets, hiring his BFF Adam Gase. If Christopher and Woody Johnson are smart, they would name him the President of Football Operations in 2019, and give him final say on all personell decisions. Mac and Gase report to Manning, and Manning reports to Christopher and Woody Johnson. Down the road he gets a chance to buy the Jets with his brother Eli. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Whale Hunting?  Mike McCarthy?  What are you getting at?

I 'proven' coach like McCarthy (I didn't want him), Harbaugh (either), etc. would not likely want to report to a more Jr GM (especially one that may be gone in 2 years). By the HC reporting to the owner, a change a GM would not, necessarily, affect a HC. Since Gase isn't proven, he has to deal....

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I 'proven' coach like McCarthy (I didn't want him), Harbaugh (either), etc. would not likely want to report to a more Jr GM (especially one that may be gone in 2 years). By the HC reporting to the owner, a change a GM would not, necessarily, affect a HC. Since Gase isn't proven, he has to deal....

Was kidding... McCarthy,  Whale..get it?

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Peyton Manning is not coming to the Jets.

With Peyton playing a major role in the Jets hiring Adam Gase , coupled with Christopher Johnson overhuling his GM who's on a very warm seat, I'd say the Jets are the favorites to land Peyton Manning. It works, because of his relationship with Gase, and the Jets have a young stud franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold. If Christopher Johnson truly wants to make Darnold a star he has Peyton on the phone discussing the possibility of becoming the Jets President of Football Operations. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

With Peyton playing a major role in the Jets hiring Adam Gase , coupled with Christopher Johnson overhuling his GM who's on a very warm seat, I'd say the Jets are the favorites to land Peyton Manning. It works, because of his relationship with Gase, and the Jets have a young stud franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold. If Christopher Johnson truly wants to make Darnold a star he has Peyton on the phone discussing the possibility of becoming the Jets President of Football Operations. 

There is a 0.0% chance Peyton Manning ever works for the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

If they really were making the change of the head coach reporting to the GM, then the retention of Maccagnan is so completely unforgivable, and Chris has undoubtedly proved himself to be the even dumber of the Johnson brothers.  A revised power structure does, in theory, have some logic to it, but it could not possibly be a worse decision to be doing this with someone that:

1.  Was never even hired for such a role, so it was not accounted for within their hiring process itself
2.  Has already shown himself to be wholly incompetent at his lower-level equivalent of this position

• Post of the Week 2

Gase called Manning a few days before being fired by the Dolphins to give him a heads-up. “I said, ‘Hey, something might go down on Monday,’ ” Gase said. “He was a little surprised, but he had a couple things we talked about, the way I should go about things. I don’t look at it as a player-coach relationship. I really look at it as a peer-to-peer relationship. He’s been in [football] so long, he knows how to handle things.”

Don’t be surprised to see Manning show up in Florham Park on occasion.

“I always try to get him involved,” Gase said. “He’s not shy about letting guys know if he likes something, dislikes something. He’s very honest. Guys that ask him anything, he’s very honest. He’s [a straight shooter] with guys, and I’ve always appreciated that about him. It’s always good to get another set of eyes on what you’re doing.” Manning’s support is no guarantee of success for Gase. But earning the endorsement of a future Hall of Fame quarterback who used a coach’s mentality to flourish in the NFL can’t hurt.

Once Peyton starts showing up at One Jets Drive and having conversations with Gase and Christopher Johnson, he'll start getting that itch for the competition he desires. If Woody wants to continue playing politics, make Peyton Manning the President of Football Operations. That is an easy sell to fans who have long wanted a President of Football Operations the GM and Head Coach report to. 

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Half expected to open this thread and read that Gregg Williams will report directly to Johnson

It's really not that far off.  I doubt Gase or Macc could fire Williams without Johnson's approval. 

Gase was reportedly hired with the contingency that Williams (or someone of his caliber) would be the DC.  So Williams has a large amount of power. And, in a sense, he DOES report to the owner.

That's how f**ked all of this is right now. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

If they really were making the change of the head coach reporting to the GM, then the retention of Maccagnan is so completely unforgivable, and Chris has undoubtedly proved himself to be the even dumber of the Johnson brothers.  A revised power structure does, in theory, have some logic to it, but it could not possibly be a worse decision to be doing this with someone that:

1.  Was never even hired for such a role, so it was not accounted for within their hiring process itself
2.  Has already shown himself to be wholly incompetent at his lower-level equivalent of this position 

Exactly.  How does a guy who went 14-34 the last 3 years not only retain his job, but also get handed MORE power? 

But we already knew that would be the case.  Johnson wanted Macc to have a say in who the next HC would be.  Thus, just by being invited into the room, he'd already been handed more power than when he first arrived. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, playtowinthegame said:

If the Jets don't make the playoffs and also have a losing season, you can bank on Mike Maccagnan getting sh*t canned. 

Lol like I could bank on him being held responsible for the likes of Christian Hackenberg and dozens of other failures in his actions and inactions? 

Chris Johnson's IQ is 83 at most. He's given Maccagnan total control because he's somehow convinced that bad coaching causes more losses than bad GMing. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

And what GM will take this job where they can't pick the HC?

There's no former team Gase has been on where there would be front office people to pull from.  Miami was a disaster.  He was only in Chicago for one season.  That just leaves Denver.  And they didn't even consider interviewing Gase for the HC position this offseason. 

This is among the reasons why Gase was hired.  Extra job protection for the GM.

Literally the only maybe-good GM they could get would be from within (e.g. Heimerdinger) and for all we really know he's no better than his boss.

• Sympathy 1

• 3 months later...