Why Gase didn't get an interview with Denver, and does it matter?

Jetsfan80

I know, we're not supposed to talk about the past. Gase is our HC now.  So we need to #JetUp and get on board with him.

But does it concern anyone that Gase didn't get an interview for the Broncos HC job?  After all, Peyton Manning himself was singing Gase's praises.  Manning had arguably the best season of his career in Denver, with Gase as the OC. 

But John Elway, evidently, was not impressed enough to put him in the pool of candidates for the HC job:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/01/denver-broncos-news-adam-gase-will-not-be-considered-for-head-coach-job/

During his end-of-season press conference, Denver Broncos general manager John Elway was asked if the team will consider hiring Adam Gase, who was fired by the Miami Dolphins on Black Monday.

Elway answered quickly: “Not at this point in time, no.”

Gase, 40, coached in Denver from 2009-2014, spending the final two years of his time with the team as an offensive coordinator. Gase had a falling out with the team when Elway told other teams that he was not ready to be a head coach, according to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.

Elway certainly didn’t help Gase’s job prospects, which likely led the coach to attempt an onside kick when his Dolphins were already beating the Broncos 33-9 in the fourth quarter last season.

The rift between Elway and Gase doesn’t appear to have been mended.

Yikes. 

Just now, Losmeister said:

post mannig Elway 's decisions havent been anything to write home about .....

Fair.  Vance Joseph and the decisions at QB have been clear mistakes. 

But to not even consider the guy who was OC for a 55-TD season from Peyton.  Crazy.

I wonder if Peyton called Elway to talk up Gase, or if he knew the history there and thus only called us. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I know, we're not supposed to talk about the past. Gase is our HC now.  So we need to #JetUp and get on board with him.

But does it concern anyone that Gase didn't get an interview for the Broncos HC job?  After all, Peyton Manning himself was singing Gase's praises.  Manning had arguably the best season of his career in Denver, with Gase as the OC. 

But John Elway, evidently, was not impressed enough to put him in the pool of candidates for the HC job:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/01/denver-broncos-news-adam-gase-will-not-be-considered-for-head-coach-job/

Yikes. 

OMG!!!! WHAT DID WE GET OURSELVES INTO?????? 

Other than his abilities as a quarterback, I am not impressed with John Elway.  That is exactly the reason why I am not the least bit concerned about his reluctance/refusal to interview Adam Gase.  The fact that Gase lasted five years with Elway is a credit to Gase. From my impressions , I wouldn't want to work for him.  Elway tried to "poison the well" when Gase was looking for a Head Coaching position.  Gase didn't like that,  Don't blame him.  Gase tried to run up the score on Elway subsequent to his [Elway's} snub.  I LIKE that.  Good for Gase.  Good for us.

During his end-of-season press conference, Denver Broncos general manager John Elway was asked if the team will consider hiring Adam Gase, who was fired by the Miami Dolphins on Black Monday.

Elway answered quickly: “Not at this point in time, no.”

Gase, 40, coached in Denver from 2009-2014, spending the final two years of his time with the team as an offensive coordinator. Gase had a falling out with the team when Elway told other teams that he was not ready to be a head coach, according to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.

Elway certainly didn’t help Gase’s job prospects, which likely led the coach to attempt an onside kick when his Dolphins were already beating the Broncos 33-9 in the fourth quarter last season.

The rift between Elway and Gase doesn’t appear to have been mended.

I think Elway is letting a Personal affront effect his decision. 

6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Other than his abilities as a quarterback, I am not impressed with John Elway.  That is exactly the reason why I am not the least bit concerned about his reluctance/refusal to interview Adam Gase.  The fact that Gase lasted five years with Elway is a credit to Gase. From my impressions , I wouldn't want to work for him.

Since Elway became GM/VP in 2011, the Broncos have gone 78-50 (.609), with a stretch of 5 straight division titles and a Super Bowl.  The year before he was hired, they went 4-12. 

His first draft pick was Von Miller.  He found both Danny Trevathan and Matt Paradis in the 6th round.  He acquired Peyton Manning in 2012 and DeMarcus Ware in 2014.

You wouldn't want to work for Elway?  Cool story.  Lot's of HC's would, and will likely have success under him, given his track record.

5 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I think Elway is letting a Personal affront effect his decision.  

The "personal affront" only happened AFTER Elway said Gase wasn't ready to be a HC. 

Elway gave an honest assessment that Gase didn't like.  Gase burned a bridge as a result. 

If Macc gets fired after this season, it would have been nice to reach into the Denver front office to grab our next GM.  That won't happen with Gase around. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since Elway became GM/VP in 2011, the Broncos have gone 78-50 (.609), with a stretch of 5 straight division titles and a Super Bowl.  The year before he was hired, they went 4-12. 

His first draft pick was Von Miller.  He found both Danny Trevathan and Matt Paradis in the 6th round.  He acquired Peyton Manning in 2012 and DeMarcus Ware in 2014.

You wouldn't want to work for Elway?  Cool story.  Lot's of HC's would, and will likely have success under him, given his track record.

Tell me how his  "Quarterback" search is going? What about the stability within the organization?  The Broncos are trending down the last few years.  Don't see any evidence of that changing quickly.  We beat the crap out of them this year.  The Raiders beat the crap out of them this year.  Last year they lost 5 games by more than two touchdowns and another by 13 points. 2016, they started 7-3, then lost 4 of  5 to fall out of the playoffs.  Not very competitive. Plus Mr. Elway has a reputation as an arrogant bully.  Would you still want to work with him?  I wouldn't. By the way, Von Miller's mom isn't thrilled with him either.  Stay tuned.

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yikes. 

Good ! Now Gase and the Jets can kick Denver's a$$ too as well as the Dolfags.

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But to not even consider the guy who was OC for a 55-TD season from Peyton.  Crazy.

I wonder if Peyton called Elway to talk up Gase, or if he knew the history there and thus only called us. 

Remember when Gase called an onsides kick against Denver when his team was up by 20 with just a few minutes left in the game because he still held a grudge against "someone" in the organization? Elway does. Maybe he just knew that Gase would tell him to f*** off. Or maybe he was still pissed off enough not to bother. Either way, it definitely seems like a decision that was far more personal than professional. 

It's interesting. I'm not sure it matters much... Elway has drafted a few blue chip defensive players and stumbled into Peyton Manning. His actual choices in head coaches and post-Peyton quarterbacks have generally been weak if not outright flops. (Wade Philips gets more credit for that Super Bowl than Kubiak, IMO. Not sure who brought him in.)

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Peyton. Manning.

Ahem.... Paxton Lynch, Brock Asswiper, Chad Kelly, Case Kennum.

Solid Work, John! Solid work....lol

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In two years, you'll have your answer.

Archived