Defillipo... Jags New OC

jetsons

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011066/article/jaguars-hire-exvikings-coach-john-defilippo-as-oc

Jaguars hire ex-Vikings coach John DeFilippo as OC

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 16, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 16, 2019 at 03:32 p.m.

John DeFilippo resurfaced in Florida.

The ex-Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator is expected to become the Jacksonville Jaguars' new OC, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, per sources informed of the situation. The team later confirmed the acquisition.

It's a vital hire for Jags coach Doug Marrone, who needed to inject some creativity into his ground-and-pound offense.

How DeFilippo will mesh in Jacksonville is something to watch throughout the summer. The 40-year-old coordinator was jettisoned from Minnesota with three games left in the 2018 campaign. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer repeatedly publicly complained of the lack of a running game throughout the season before firing DeFilippo.

If Marrone plans to continue emphasizing the ground game, will DeFilippo play along?

Marrone said Wednesday he's very comfortable with the research that he did on DeFilippo.

"Oh yeah. I don't have a problem with that," Marrone said of DeFilippo's playcalling. "Like I said before, if we don't pressure enough, if we don't take a chance, if we don't run it enough, the throwing, or any of those situations go on, everything on game day goes through my headset. I always have the ability to say 'this is what I want to do' and we work the entire week together. And that's one of the things I felt comfortable with (DeFilippo)."

The Jags owned one of the most anemic offenses in the NFL in 2018. Blake Bortles and Cody Kessler combined to form the worst quarterback situation in the league. First-round running back Leonard Fournette couldn't stay healthy and was ineffective when on the field. The offensive line was an epic disaster after being ravaged by injury. And the lack of experienced pass-catchers hindered the aerial attack.

DeFilippo has experience working for Jags EVP Tom Coughlin. The OC began his NFL coaching career as a quality control coach in New York under Coughlin and now rejoins him in Jacksonville.

The move to hire DeFilippo is also certain to set off further speculation that the Jags could target quarterback Nick Foles this offseason. DeFilippo was widely credited with aiding the reigning Super Bowl MVP during his stint as the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterbacks coach during last season's playoff run.

Once viewed as the next hot head coaching candidate, DeFilippo's stock plummeted after his disappointing run in Minnesota. If he can raise a morbid Jags offense back to life, he'll surely get another look at coaching jobs down the line.

57 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer repeatedly publicly complained of the lack of a running game throughout the season before firing DeFilippo.

If Marrone plans to continue emphasizing the ground game, will DeFilippo play along?

The article already mentioned my first thought when I saw the headline. Don't really see this as a match. 

51 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I will admit he had a great run last year....having another one this year. If he gets 2 rings do you want to trade Sam for him?

HELL NO!! Cause he is more Fitz than Payton

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Foles will be going to a contender next year probably the Jags. He’s better than Fitz. And speaking of Fitz ?

Just curious? What’s the Suicide watch desk?

8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Doug Marrone,  { or is it Moron?}  is quite the wordsmith.  His command of the English Language clearly rivals that of, say, Antonio Brown?  How did we ever let him slip through our fingers?  Prediction:  He'll be gone by week 11 next season.

You ain't lien.  :)

8 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

hahahahaha I need to change that...that was my perch watching the coaching search

Ok was curious because I once worked a job with that exact purpose. But it definitely fits our organization’s purpose for sure. 

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol, nice.

But you're paying for projected future performance, not what he did in the past. 

Doug Pederson isn't coming with Foles to Jacksonville. 

Foles has time in the NFL and a significant amount of success which translates into being taken seriously as a top paid QB. And he’s still in his prime. Any salary is based on PAST performance. He’s getting a nice contract with a team that can transition to being considered a contender with him on board. Jags shhhh don’t tell Jif. 

Time: Things I Must Earn

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Foles has time in the NFL and a significant amount of success which translates into being taken seriously as a top paid QB. And he’s still in his prime. Any salary is based on PAST performance. He’s getting a nice contract with a team that can transition to being considered a contender with him on board. Jags shhhh don’t tell Jif. 

Time: Things I Must Earn 

Shouldn't it be a major red flag that the Eagles still consider Foles the 2nd best QB on their roster despite his "significant amount of success"?

Sure, he's better than Bortles, and that alone makes him an intriguing option for the Jaguars, especially as we enter a 2019 draft that lacks the kind of QB prospects we saw in 2018.  But let's not pretend he's joined the elite ranks on the back of his play off the bench the last 2 seasons.  He's had an up-and-down career in this league.  He needs a great coach and plenty of talent around him to succeed. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shouldn't it be a major red flag that the Eagles still consider Foles the 2nd best QB on their roster despite his "significant amount of success"?

Sure, he's better than Bortles, and that alone makes him an intriguing option for the Jaguars, especially as we enter a 2019 draft that lacks the kind of QB prospects we saw in 2018.  But let's not pretend he's joined the elite ranks on the back of his play off the bench the last 2 seasons.  He's had an up-and-down career in this league.  He needs a great coach and plenty of talent around him to succeed. 

You should raise the white flag ? here You think a team like the Jags care about Wentz vs. Foles competition? Wentz is their QB. Period. It’s not even debatable. But that has nothing to do with Foles being a starter for another team. A team that is a QB away from possibly going to the SB. There are no guarantees in life. Ask the Vikes and that may still work out. Jags got plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. Any QB not named McClown they sign would be an upgrade over Bortles. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol, nice.

But you're paying for projected future performance, not what he did in the past. 

Doug Pederson isn't coming with Foles to Jacksonville. 

He'll get paid by Ajax for what he did over his games the last two seasons in Philly and because he's not Bortles 

He going because Philly has a QB that's younger and has even more potential, with success on their roster.  We're talking about a QB who before his injury the year before was more than likely the deserved league MVP

Archived