Jets Should Pursue Jadeveon Clowney in FA

36 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Clowney is super overrated imo. 

I wouldn’t say he’s overrated but I definitely will not give him the money he will receive this off-season. He has definitely underachieved in his entire career in Houston. 

Lets not forget that’s Watt plays along him so it’s hard to double team any of them. If he come here, he’s not going to be left alone. I would stay away. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

In the text of the article the term "Ridiculous  Money" jumps out at you.   

the Jets had 17 mil in unused cap space last year and 100 mil going into this year 

That's Ridiculous 

starting Frankie Luvu is cheap doesn't make it a great idea 

as for this player it would be awesome if they got him, regardless of the cost. But they probably won't. So we can talk about his microfracture surgery and how his brother David Clowney was a joke 

that's a better way forward than expecting the Jets to invest in the roster at basic positions like pass rusher 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets had 17 mil in unused cap space last year and 100 mil going into this year 

That's Ridiculous 

Johnson’s are saving up for a maid to go with their one butler they share. Chris wants a sexy skinny one but Woodys been in England so he’s all About the fat bottom girls at this point. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He’s like buying the awesome looking sports car with the smaller engine. Far away you are like,” nice ride.” Pulls up and your like,”oh, moms car.” 

Forget the movie but there was an old one where they called girls like that Monet's.  Good from far, but far from good.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Johnson’s are saving up for a maid to go with their one butler they share. Chris wants a sexy skinny one but Woodys been in England so he’s all About the fat bottom girls at this point. 

they don't share a butler 

Johnsons get their first man servant at the age of 14, during the ceremony of the riding crop.  The tradition dates back to the Phineaus Meville Johnson, who put a saddle on his wife's brother while on the Mayflower and demanded he be ridden to and from the mess. 

of all the rumors that got started about Johnsons, that's probably the most vicious. They can't run a football team but butlering is in their blood. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Forget the movie but there was an old one where they called girls like that Monet's.  Good from far, but far from good.

Clueless

thank christ I wasn't the first person to make a clueless reference in 2019 

side note we could say  the same about Adam Gase. He looks great coaching in Miami, one day in NY with cameras on him and no hat, he looks like a maniac. 

Just now, bitonti said:

they don't share a butler 

Johnsons get their first man servant at the age of 14, during the ceremony of the riding crop.  The tradition dates back to the Phineaus Meville Johnson, who put a saddle on his wife's brother while on the Mayflower and demanded he be ridden to and from the mess. 

of all the rumors that got started about Johnsons, that's probably the most vicious. They can't run a football team but butlering is in their blood. 

Never heard that but have heard about their Uncle swinging  who was quite the ladies man back in the day. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

He is top tier caliber player . That’s a red flag for some jets fans lol . Would be shocked if he hits FA.

He has 29 sacks in 62 games.  He has had microfracture knee surgery.  He is a freak athlete, who still has never really put up great numbers.

Do you think his effort and production will improve after getting 30 or 40 million guarenteed?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He has 29 sacks in 62 games.  He has had microfracture knee surgery.  He is a freak athlete, who still has never really put up great numbers.

Do you think his effort and production will improve after getting 30 or 40 million guarenteed?

The real issue is do we have a choice?  Jets have zero pass rush

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Clueless

thank christ I wasn't the first person to make a clueless reference in 2019 

side note we could say  the same about Adam Gase. He looks great coaching in Miami, one day in NY with cameras on him and no hat, he looks like a maniac. 

Does it count if I didn't actually name or remember the name of the movie?  You, on the other hand, revealed a darkness of the spirit by recognizing the quote.  You should probably watch every Samuel Jackson movie back-to-back to try and cleanse your soul.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

That's Ridiculous 

as for this player it would be awesome if they got him, regardless of the cost. But they probably won't. So we can talk about his microfracture surgery and how his brother David Clowney was a joke 

that's a better way forward than expecting the Jets to invest in the roster at basic positions like pass rusher 

But here's the thing Bit.  His reputation comes from that ONE hit in college.  His stats the past two years have been good, but not great.  Do you honestly think he is worth the money it will cost, knowing we have no other true pass rush?  Do you not see him being double teamed and not being able to beat said double teams? 

34 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The microfracture surgery was a long time ago. 24.5 of those sacks came in the last 3 years where he's missed a total of 3 games. I think his production will improve when he goes back to his natural position as a 4-3 DE.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

But here's the thing Bit.  His reputation comes from that ONE hit in college.  His stats the past two years have been good, but not great.  Do you honestly think he is worth the money it will cost, knowing we have no other true pass rush?  Do you not see him being double teamed and not being able to beat said double teams? 

the idea of worth is relative. They have to spend it somewhere 

we the fans are always pearl clutching about how much a player costs but the team was 17 mil under last season for no real reason. Clowney is far from an ideal player but in general terms I'd rather this team spend huge on one or two players than their usual grab bag of rejects approach

this team had half a defense last year. They started guys who wouldn't even have ST jobs on other teams 

Leo was taking all the doubles. Clowney would get doubled they would have to add more. they aren't one player away but they can't keep shopping at Dollar General and expecting it to work out 

maybe they don't expect it to work out, maybe they just expect the team to exist, take losses and continue to print money but that's another discussion entirely

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

His reputation didn’t come from one hit in college.   That’s just silly.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The real issue is do we have a choice?  Jets have zero pass rush

I know you are a big fan Phil of Clowney, but is it the player himself or that you think there is little options?

First off, I doubt he will be available.  It could all be a moot point.  I don't think Lawrence or Ford make Free agency either.

But what about Anthony Barr?  Minnesota has zero cap space, and it will be hard to resign him because he will probably command big dollars.  Problem is, for all the talk I hear of this guy, the numbers say otherwise

What about some of the secondary options....Eli Harold, Shane Ray, Shaq Bennett, Za'darius Smith..

What about an option that has not been talked about at all here: Cameron Wake.  He might come over to be with Gase (depending on their relationship).  A stop gap for a year.  Now, that obviously goes with saying that the intent would be to draft a guy like Bosa (doubt he is there, but you never know) or a guy like Allen.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

That's Ridiculous 

And give you more fodder for a resulting post citing the team's failure to "properly research a flawed player, squandering precious cap space on a bad contract, sign a different free agent, yada, yada, yada.  Got  it.  As for the unused cap space, you are probably right.  On the bright side, if that cap money had resulted in 2-3 more wins, we'd  probably still be saddled with Bowles.  You'd probably have liked that. As for the "regardless of the cost comment", once again, you make no sense.  You are like the drunk who spends his entire paycheck at the go-go bar, then doesn't have money for the cab home.  With so many holes in the roster, this  "bonanza" of cap space won't go that far.  I'm sure you know that, but it doesn't fit your contrarian narrative.  We do need a pass rusher, just not this one.  Besides, the question is  moot, because the Texans will probably resign him to a ridiculous contract and remain mired in mediocrity.  By the way, the Jets have "invested" in pass rushers, ad nauseum, resulting in the dereliction of assets on the offensive side of  the ball.  How's that worked out?  Good for you I  guess ,so you can rant about the lack of production on this team.  Lastly, Frankie Luvu is a part-time linebacker who played reasonably well for us this year, what is he even doing in this conversation? A player like Khalil Mack, a disruptive force, would have helped this pass rush immensely. An over-rated show-piece like Jadeveon  Clowney, not so much.  That's Ridiculous.    

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the idea of worth is relative. They have to spend it somewhere 

we the fans are always pearl clutching about how much a player costs but the team was 17 mil under last season for no real reason. Clowney is far from an ideal player but in general terms I'd rather this team spend huge on one or two players than their usual grab bag of rejects approach

this team had half a defense last year. They started guys who wouldn't even have ST jobs on other teams 

Leo was taking all the doubles. Clowney would get doubled they would have to add more. they aren't one player away but they can't keep shopping at Dollar General and expecting it to work out 

maybe they don't expect it to work out, maybe they just expect the team to exist, take losses and continue to print money but that's another discussion entirely

All fair points...

I think it is a moot point anyway, because Houston has the cap space to fit him in.  It was one of the reasons I didn't suggest it in my mock-off season.  That said, we will have to look at secondary options as Lawrence and Ford will probably be resigned or tagged.

Now, there is a CRAZY option for this year since it is suppose to be deep in pass rushers.

Taking Josh Allen with the 3rd pick AND a development guy later in 3rd or 4th round. What an idea, DRAFTING pass rushers in a day and age when you need at least two good ones on your team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Don't get caught up on the "name free agents" Clowney would be nice but he may be tagged.

Look deeper at the "no names" like Zadarius Smith from BAL:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3043168/zadarius-smith

Just mentioned him to Phil.

I always liked Eli Harold, and think he could come cheap and be a sub-package kind of guy.

He isn't the answer, but it never hurts having another body.

What do you think of Josh Allen at 3 KRL?  Or do you go with an OL and hope a guy like Chase Winovich is still there when we pick in the second round? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

What about some of the secondary options....Eli Harold, Shane Ray, Shaq Bennett, Za'darius Smith.. 

the thing about players like Eli Harold is i wish the Jets drafted these guys not signing them to second deals. Harold played ball in southern NJ before UVA was practically in the Jets backyard. I would blame the scouts but I'm pretty sure it's the GM and owners being "CLUELESS" 

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Does it count if I didn't actually name or remember the name of the movie?  You, on the other hand, revealed a darkness of the spirit by recognizing the quote.  You should probably watch every Samuel Jackson movie back-to-back to try and cleanse your soul.  

I'm one of those "bad can be good" types. I like it when things are really Terrible. Like the Jets.

Starship Troopers for example. 

Clueless has moments. It's is right in that 90's sweet spot of terrible but why can't I stop watching. It might be the supporting casts. Wallace Shawn shows up. RIP Britney Murphy. 

Blast From The Past is another "good" one... Branden Frazier with Alicia, ok that sounds so terrible but it's actually worth the watch for Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek.

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If the jets are smart, they will staw away from big money guys like clowney and leveon and build this through the draft.

We need long term success which requires patience.

What we will do is sign clowney and bell.  Have 2 good years and then be back in the doghouse for the next 20 years.

What do you suggest they do with the cap money? 

Yes, get two good years out of them and move on - this team will be immensely improved. and hope the draft picks you made are ready to take over in two years.  I'll take two good years out of Bell and Clowney - rather than 3 or 4 good years out of a bunch of Jags.

When you don't have your own draft picks to pay you try pick up the best talent you can in FA.

No one is saying you don't try to build through the draft but if you have Cap money you should try and get the best players you can - and yes, those are going to be high priced players.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the thing about players like Eli Harold is i wish the Jets drafted these guys not signing them to second deals. Harold played ball in southern NJ before UVA was practically in the Jets backyard. I would blame the scouts but I'm pretty sure it's the GM and owners being "CLUELESS" 

I'm one of those "bad can be good" types. I like it when things are really Terrible. Like the Jets.

Clueless has moments. It's is right in that 90's sweet spot of terrible but why can't I stop watching. It might be the supporting casts. Wallace Shawn shows up. RIP Britney Murphy. 

Blast From The Past is another "good" one... Branden Frazier with Alicia, ok that sounds so terrible but it's actually worth the watch for Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek.

CLUELESS IS ******* BRILLIANT YOU TAKE THAT sh*t BACK

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just mentioned him to Phil.

I always liked Eli Harold, and think he could come cheap and be a sub-package kind of guy.

He isn't the answer, but it never hurts having another body.

What do you think of Josh Allen at 3 KRL?  Or do you go with an OL and hope a guy like Chase Winovich is still there when we pick in the second round? 

With Williams coming in and us running more 4-3 I would love to move down.  I like what I've seen of

Allen but this draft is full of DLinemen so if I could move down 2-3 spots and pick up a #2 I would do that.

Then I would look at guys like Ferrell, Oliver & Gary

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

All fair points...

I think it is a moot point anyway, because Houston has the cap space to fit him in.  It was one of the reasons I didn't suggest it in my mock-off season.  That said, we will have to look at secondary options as Lawrence and Ford will probably be resigned or tagged.

Now, there is a CRAZY option for this year since it is suppose to be deep in pass rushers.

Taking Josh Allen with the 3rd pick AND a development guy later in 3rd or 4th round. What an idea, DRAFTING pass rushers in a day and age when you need at least two good ones on your team.

you are right about him probably not making it to FA

but as a thought exercise, Clowney's big problem BTW is penalties. He got called for roughing a ton, personal fouls, it practically wiped out his sack yardage. a team might get sick of that sort of thing

Gregg Williams probably loves the crap out of a guy like that 

the only way it works is if Leo plays like Watt, which is probably asking too much of Leo but he actually can make plays if one on one and in a rotation. (Leo played 900 snaps this year, 300 more than Henry Anderson the next most. Jamal played them all 1100) 

The Jets need a ROTATION. They also could sign Clowney or whoever, load up inside and outside. Look at the sack list this year guys like Jonathan Allen and Chris Jones are high on the list. If the Jets think Q williams or Ed Oliver is better than Josh Allen that's a way to go as well 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

To be fair, Starship Troopers is exactly as you described.  Neil Patrick Harris must want to burn the memories of that movie out of his brain but it really was campy fun.

• Haha 1

Just now, nycdan said:

To be fair, Starship Troopers is exactly as you described.  Neil Patrick Harris must want to burn the memories of that movie out of his brain but it really was campy fun.

Sometimes I'll encounter a youngling who has never seen the Troop. My pitch is always the same: 

In the future, they have Co-ed Showers.

NPH wearing a black trench coat and reading the mind of a huge vag bug, mailing it in, that's peak NPH right there 

maybe second only to his performance in Harold and Kumar goes to White Castle

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1