Jets Should Pursue Jadeveon Clowney in FA

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you are right about him probably not making it to FA

but as a thought exercise, Clowney's big problem BTW is penalties. He got called for roughing a ton, personal fouls, it practically wiped out his sack yardage. a team might get sick of that sort of thing

Gregg Williams probably loves the crap out of a guy like that 

the only way it works is if Leo plays like Watt, which is probably asking too much of Leo but he actually can make plays if one on one and in a rotation. (Leo played 900 snaps this year, 300 more than Henry Anderson the next most. Jamal played them all 1100) 

The Jets need a ROTATION. They also could sign Clowney or whoever, load up inside and outside. Look at the sack list this year guys like Jonathan Allen and Chris Jones are high on the list. If the Jets think Q williams or Ed Oliver is better than Josh Allen that's a way to go as well 

Here's my plan.  Keep Leo Williams.  Draft Quinnen Williams.  Sign Mario Williams as a FA.  Then lure Kyle Williams out of retirement.  

If we're going to do stupid things in the offseason, at least let's make it entertaining.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Sometimes I'll encounter a youngling who has never seen the Troop. My pitch is always the same: 

In the future, they have Co-ed Showers.

NPH wearing a black trench coat and reading the mind of a huge vag bug, mailing it in, that's peak NPH right there 

maybe second only to his performance in Harold and Kumar goes to White Castle

Coed showers and at least two very hot female troopers.  You could do far worse.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If the jets are smart, they will staw away from big money guys like clowney and leveon and build this through the draft.

We need long term success which requires patience.

What we will do is sign clowney and bell.  Have 2 good years and then be back in the doghouse for the next 20 years.

Don't agree with this sentiment this year.  We have $100 million to spend, have an obligation to spend most of it due to the cap floor, and there are not a lot of quality free agents.  We can see who shakes looses after the season, who is franchised, etc., but FOR THIS YEAR, I would look for quality over quantity in general.  

We have some good young players we need to develop and will get more in the draft.  We need a Superstar or two to take some of the heavy lifting off of our young developing players. Lev Bell for the next 3 years taking pressure off of Darnold is worth the enormous contract.  Front load and be ready to cut him in 3-4 years when Sam needs his 2nd contract.  Yes, you can get RB's cheaper in draft/FA but we don't need another JAG - we need a star and he is the only offensive weapon available THIS YEAR.  Another year, another story.

Same goes for defense - I don't need 5 JAGS - I need a superstar pass rusher (Clowney, Demarcus, Ford) and perhaps pair him with another Superstar pass rusher at 3 in the draft.  Everything else on defense THIS YEAR can be solved through the draft or minor FA signings.

I don't need the best LB core in the NFL, I don't need the best secondary - I need to develop Sam Darnold and score points (Lev Bell) and wreak havoc on the opposing teams QB (Pass rusher.)  

• Upvote 3

1. I'd be shocked if Clowney wasn't franchised.

2. His career was way more than "one big hit" but that Outback Bowl play against Michigan is the most overrated play in the history of football. Murders some poor guy trying to take a handoff because he was completely unblocked. It's like some guy getting creamed from a blindside hit on special teams being a "great hit." Guy never had a chance.

3. Starship Troopers rocks. I don't even think it's "so bad it's good." I think it's legitimately amazing... It's too self aware to be "so bad it's good." It leans in, hard.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Clowney has consistently been towards the top of the league in tackles for loss over the last 3 years. He's a solid against the run and the pass.

2016: Tied 1st with 17 TFL

2017: 2nd with 21 TFL

2018: Tied 7th with 16 TFL

Clowney has been good.  People act like he's Gholston

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Clowney has been good.  People act like he's Gholston

Yes he has been good.  Good should not get you to the pro bowl multiple times.  Good should not give you the reputation as one of the top Defensive Linemen in the league.  Good should not make you the first overall pick.  Good should not  designate you as a "Franchise Player", worthy of the average of the top 5 salaries in the league for that  position. Good should not qualify you for a  "Free agent Bonanza Contract"  Good will not fix the pass rush needs of the 2019 New York Jets.  Seek a different solution,  Gholston was similar in that he was a physical specimen, drafted at the top of the draft.   The comparison ends there.  

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Yes he has been good.  Good should not get you to the pro bowl multiple times.  Good should not give you the reputation as one of the top Defensive Linemen in the league.  Good should not make you the first overall pick.  Good should not  designate you as a "Franchise Player", worthy of the average of the top 5 salaries in the league for that  position. Good should not qualify you for a  "Free agent Bonanza Contract"  Good will not fix the pass rush needs of the 2019 New York Jets.  Seek a different solution,  Gholston was similar in that he was a physical specimen, drafted at the top of the draft.   The comparison ends there.  

Good >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the crap we have had at OLB last 15 years

If Clowney isn't tagged or extended the Jets absolutely should go after him hard.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Game Changer > Good   That's what we need going forward

Clowney if he's not tagged is going to be head and shoulders above any other OLB available in free agency.  Jets already made a stupid mistake not trading for Mack last summer that probably would have saved our season

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Clowney if he's not tagged is going to be head and shoulders above any other OLB available in free agency.  Jets already made a stupid mistake not trading for Mack last summer that probably would have saved our season

You are right about Mack. I thought the price at the time was prohibitive. Maybe I was wrong.  Clowney,  is not Mack.  That being said,  "saving our season" would have sentenced us to 2 more years of Bowles.  I  call that addition by subtraction, or "divine intervention", take your pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

DE, not OLB. He'd be moving back to his natural position in Gregg Williams defense.

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You are right about Mack. I thought the price at the time was prohibitive. Maybe I was wrong.  Clowney,  is not Mack.  That being said,  "saving our season" would have sentenced us to 2 more years of Bowles.  I  call that addition by subtraction, or "divine intervention", take your pick. 

Your right Clowney is not Mack but unlike Mack he would only cost money he would not cost us draft picks

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets had 17 mil in unused cap space last year and 100 mil going into this year 

That's Ridiculous 

starting Frankie Luvu is cheap doesn't make it a great idea 

as for this player it would be awesome if they got him, regardless of the cost. But they probably won't. So we can talk about his microfracture surgery and how his brother David Clowney was a joke 

that's a better way forward than expecting the Jets to invest in the roster at basic positions like pass rusher 

Wait a minute, that’s his brother? ?

I remember Westhoff calling him a pus$y on hard knocks. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, JetsTalk247 said:

I'd be absolutely stunned if the Texans did not Franchise him. They have plenty of cap space.

I guess they're probably trying to negotiate a long term deal now. It would be a surprise if they don't tag him but I'm hoping he somehow slips free. You never know what kind of snags can come up in these negotiations. See Bell & Pitt for example. Clowneys agent could potentially threaten the same type of hold out if they don't give a long term deal. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The biggest concern is this:

Lets say they sign any one of the top tier guys.  Does this mean Mac goes "problem solved" and then ignore the pass-rush in a deep draft this year, and for the next five years again?

So what - don't fill any holes in free agency out of fear that Mac won't draft that position? Seems like a silly thing to worry about. If he's going to be a dumbass there's nothing we can do about it.

22 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

My first thought is go get him. But if we can get a PR in the draft why spend the money on a guy who may have lost a step.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Why do you think he's lost a step? He's not a sack monster but he plays in the backfield on against both the run and the pass. 

He reminds me of Julius Peppers.  All world hype coming out, maybe slightly underproduced, and I thought the Bears were crazy for signing him to the big deal.

Well, he turned out to be worth it even at 30.  

Clowney is 26. 

-Sign Clowney

-Trade Leo for a second

-Draft Williams

They'd play off each other like Sapp and Rice.

Defense instantly rebuilt!

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So what - don't fill any holes in free agency out of fear that Mac won't draft that position? Seems like a silly thing to worry about. If he's going to be a dumbass there's nothing we can do about it.

The way Chris Johnson stepped in this offseason leads me to believe that will continue through FA and the draft.  Macc is still the leader of his department of scouts and all that, but CJ and probably Gase and wIlliams to a lesser degree will have input into the decisions. CJ will be up Macc's arse to get the guys in here that will help the team become more competitive. Not that I love CJ of course. Just the Manning influence on Gase makes me think he's like a star struck little kid. 

I don't know how attractive the Jets really were the last few seasons and what our real ability to grab the good guys was. Who the hell would want to come here to have Petty, Hack or mccown in charge of their success? Not many.  This time it's different and should lead to players thinking they can be a piece to a solid team with Darnold at the helm and Adams on the D. Guys would want to block for Sam and skill guys should think he can get them the ball.  We finally have potential to land the top players. 

• Sympathy 1