Free Agency: 

RB - Le'Veon Bell

WR - John Brown 

C - Matt Paradis 

DE - Trey Flowers

DT - Gerald McCoy [Cap Casualty Cut by Tampa] 

Draft: 

Trade 1st Round 3rd Overall Pick to Jags [Jags Take QB at 3]

Jets Receive Jags 1st Round 7th Overall Pick, 2nd Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick, and 2020 2nd Round Pick  

1. OT Jonah Williams 

2. OLB Montez Sweat 

3. DE Jaylen Ferguson 

3. OG Daryl Williams 

3. WR Riley Ridley 

4. CB Iman Marshall 

5. DT Ed Alexander 

6. WR Emanuel Hall 

7. DT Daylon Mack 

I like the intent ... but no way do the Jets cut their starting OT and rely on drafting his immediate replacement. One, it relies on him being there at #7, and two, it relies on him being good enough to start at LT straight away.

Not Mike's MO at all.

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

I like the intent ... but no way do the Jets cut their starting OT and rely on drafting his immediate replacement. One, it relies on him being there at #7, and two, it relies on him being good enough to start at LT straight away.

Not Mike's MO at all.

Also as much as we like to cast aside Beachum, dude is a solid LT. You don't just cut those guys.

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m not a fan of trading back if Allen is there at 3. He will be a much biggest asset then getting a 2nd rounder. How many of our 2nd round picks have been huge busts? Exactly 

How many of the first round picks of been bust?

Trading down is the best thing by far no matter who is there. 

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Don’t know how you say that without knowing who’s Gona be there at 3. A top 3 pick is a blue chip piece on your team usually. Sliding out top 5 you are gambling 

37 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Not Mike's MO at all.

Yup.  I agree with this.  Let Beachum play out his contract.  We have Brandon Shell coming back from a major injury - so we might need Jonah at RT with Beachum at LT.  If Shell is healthy next season, by most account Williams can play inside as well, so if we cut anyone, I would rather it be Spencer Long who can be cut with no cap hit.  Then you give Jonah a season playing inside and he can transition to LT in year 2 after Beachum's contract is up.

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Staying put at 3 trading down it doesn't matter we need a HR pick all these wasted busts draft picks have put this team where it is today. 

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Also as much as we like to cast aside Beachum, dude is a solid LT. You don't just cut those guys.

beachum has been pretty steady and at least puts out the effort.  i don't think i'd be too quick in launching him until an upgrade is found.

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Staying put at 3 trading down it doesn't matter we need a HR pick all these wasted busts draft picks have put this team where it is today. 

it's so true.  mac really needs to draft guys who can step in.  i can't say he'll be able to find all pros in the third round and lower but the #3 pick needs to be impactful and the the3rd rounders need to be able to get on the field.  after that it's fill ins.  and if he can get good value for trading down, it might be a good option.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Don’t know how you say that without knowing who’s Gona be there at 3. A top 3 pick is a blue chip piece on your team usually. Sliding out top 5 you are gambling 

Top players drafted since 2000 5-10. There was a few more that could be added but injuries (effected or affected??) impacted their careers too much.

B Chubb 

Q Nelson

M McGlinchey

M Williams

C McCaffrey

P Mahomes 

J Ramsey

R Stanley

T Gurley

B Scherff

K Mack

O Beckham (12)

A Donald (13)

J Matthews

M Evans

E Ebron 

E Ansah

L Kuechly

P Peterson

J Jones

T Smith

JJ Watt (11)

R McClain

I would take any of those guys plus 2 2nd round picks plus. If the Jets can pick up a 2nd this year plus a 2nd next year they have ammo in 2020 to trade up if there’s a player they really want or stay put and pick up 2 solid prospects in the 2nd round. 

Trading down this year is the best move. 

I like this, but not sold on Williams. 

Just like mine, we are doing this all WAY early.  I don't think there is ANY chance Paradis is available, which is why I went with a guy like FInney. 

I hear NY Mick, moving down and taking picks, but Allen could be too hard to pass up. 

I have been thinking about my Mock, and I am starting to think I would rather stay there and take Allen than move down and take Gary. 

Re Beachum - Maccagnan should go after Brown in FA if available and if he lands him either cut Beachum or flip him to RT or guard. Beachum is only signed for next year so LT is a clear long-term need - time to put together a long-term line rather than band-aids constantly. I think the more likely Maccagnan move will be hanging onto Beachum and trying to develop a day 2 tackle this year.

Beachum's contract is nice but the priority should be building around Darnold and the best and most important place to do that in FA this offseason is the offensive line. Drafting and developing offensive linemen has become harder over the years with the change in college schemes and the Jets have shown little to no propensity for doing it effectively. Bring in established pros with that hoard of cap space. Obviously there are other huge pieces to their success but bringing in Whitworth and Sullivan in 2017 to play LT and C respectively was huge for the Rams - they have a quality OL.

2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

beachum has been pretty steady and at least puts out the effort.  i don't think i'd be too quick in launching him until an upgrade is found.

also they probably would have to pay him half his remaining contract, eat a bunch of dead cap if they cut or trade beachum at any point this season 

https://overthecap.com/player/kelvin-beachum/1614/

funny item from that page if Beachum made the pro bowl either 2017 or 2018 he could have voided his contract. LOL 

if you ever want to know what the Jets are going to do in any given situation, pick the cheapest option and you'll probably be correct 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

also they probably would have to pay him half his remaining contract, eat a bunch of dead cap if they cut or trade beachum at any point this season 

https://overthecap.com/player/kelvin-beachum/1614/

funny item from that page if Beachum made the pro bowl either 2017 or 2018 he could have voided his contract. LOL 

if you ever want to know what the Jets are going to do in any given situation, pick the cheapest option and you'll probably be correct 

we can only hope they finally figured out you get what you pay for.  i'm thinking that hiring gase and williams will make the jets a pretty attractive place for free agents.

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I like this, but not sold on Williams. 

Just like mine, we are doing this all WAY early.  I don't think there is ANY chance Paradis is available, which is why I went with a guy like FInney. 

I hear NY Mick, moving down and taking picks, but Allen could be too hard to pass up. 

I have been thinking about my Mock, and I am starting to think I would rather stay there and take Allen than move down and take Gary. 

I’d rather take 10 guys over Allen. The more stuff I watch and focus on him the less I want him. His stats are inflated by making plays against sh*tty opponents. 

56 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’d rather take 10 guys over Allen. The more stuff I watch and focus on him the less I want him. His stats are inflated by making plays against sh*tty opponents. 

Fair enough Mick.

As quickly as I say stay and draft Allen, I can be easily persuaded in trading down.  I don't think we will get a boatload of picks, but recouping the second, possibly an extra pick this year, and then future ones?  That is hard to pass up.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Re Beachum - Maccagnan should go after Brown in FA if available and if he lands him either cut Beachum or flip him to RT or guard. Beachum is only signed for next year so LT is a clear long-term need - time to put together a long-term line rather than band-aids constantly. I think the more likely Maccagnan move will be hanging onto Beachum and trying to develop a day 2 tackle this year.

Beachum's contract is nice but the priority should be building around Darnold and the best and most important place to do that in FA this offseason is the offensive line. Drafting and developing offensive linemen has become harder over the years with the change in college schemes and the Jets have shown little to no propensity for doing it effectively. Bring in established pros with that hoard of cap space. Obviously there are other huge pieces to their success but bringing in Whitworth and Sullivan in 2017 to play LT and C respectively was huge for the Rams - they have a quality OL.

When I did this Mock, it was under the assumption that Brown gets resigned. Brady is 42 next year.  I THINK he might want a 6'8" 355 pound guy protecting his blindside.

That said, they do have a lot of Free Agents, including Gronk, to pay. 

This is probably why I should have waited another 6 weeks to do this as we might have a better idea on what will happen with some of this stuff!

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Fair enough Mick.

As quickly as I say stay and draft Allen, I can be easily persuaded in trading down.  I don't think we will get a boatload of picks, but recouping the second, possibly an extra pick this year, and then future ones?  That is hard to pass up.

Going by the chart they wouldn’t get a 2nd next year I don’t think. 

Jets 3rd - 2200

Jax 7th - 1500, 38 - 520 then a 3rd next year. Not sure how that would work out. 

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

When I did this Mock, it was under the assumption that Brown gets resigned. Brady is 42 next year.  I THINK he might want a 6'8" 355 pound guy protecting his blindside.

That said, they do have a lot of Free Agents, including Gronk, to pay. 

This is probably why I should have waited another 6 weeks to do this as we might have a better idea on what will happen with some of this stuff!

Totally agree - that's why I said if available. I think Plan A is Brown if he shakes free (the other variable for the Pats is Trey Flowers had a tremendous year and is also a FA), and then B would be hanging onto Beachum and drafting somebody. I don't think they'd cut him before the draft - makes the LT need too obvious and frankly he's on a decent contract for his position and might attract some mid-late round pick trade market attention come August if a contending team has an injury on the line.

Archived