Attitude, swagger attracted Adam Gase to Gregg Williams

Gas2No99

Attitude, swagger attracted Adam Gase to Gregg Williams

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2019, 10:26 AM EST
gettyimages-1060253006-e1547738743164.jp

Jets coach Adam Gase will run the offense in New York. He needed someone to run the defense. And he ran to former Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“I’ve know him for 10 to 12 years,” Gase told the #PFTPM podcast. “He’s somebody that I’ve gone against multiple times. I’ve always enjoyed facing him because I knew what kind of team I was going to be going against. There was an energy that was brought any time we played a game where he was the defensive coordinator because I knew what he was bringing, he knew what my offense was going to bring as far as intensity and physicality and just the grind that we were going to put into that game. 

“I’ve always wanted to work with him, I’ve always wanted to go against him in practice. I love the way that his players feel about him, the swagger, the attitude that he brings to his group. I love his experience and the fact that he’s been a head coach. He takes over Cleveland’s deal and they’re winning ball games over there and he’s acting like this is what it was going to be the whole time. Like he didn’t even blink an eye, he wasn’t surprised, and I love that about him. His attitude is just infectious.”

His attitude is infectious, but he also brings the kind of type-A personality that can create confusion or divided loyalties in a locker room regarding who’s in charge. Gase isn’t worried about that.

“We’re here to win,” Gase said. “That’s what we’re here to do. I don’t go into this thinking, ‘Hey I’m worried about this, I’m worried about this.’ I’m not worried about anything. I’m worried about how are we going to win football games? How are we going to get our guys ready? How are we going to put the best team possible? How are we going to put the best coaching staff together? And that’s why Gregg is the first guy that we’re getting on board right now. . . . 

“I’m excited. I just keep picturing practice is . . . going to be the difference maker for us is, it’s going to be like a game every day. Because the competition and the competitiveness between Gregg, myself, the staffs, that’s what you want. That’s how you get that energy you want to where the players feel that, they’re practicing like that, they’re creating that attitude so now all of a sudden it becomes the fourth quarter, it’s a close game, our guys have been there before.”

Gase also isn’t worried about the bounty scandal from 2012, a controversy that immediately resurfaced on the back pages of the tabloids after Williams’ name emerged as the likely defensive coordinator.

“Gregg was penalized for that heavily and football was taken away from him,” Gase said. “He did his time and that’s what makes this country great, right? People get second chances all the time. He’s gotten a second chance, he’s done it right, he’s gone and he has worked extremely hard to do things right and for me or anyone else to hold that over his head to me is wrong. It’s just like when we give players second opportunities. It’s the same thing. People make mistakes, we’ve moved on from it, he did his time and to me that’s something I’m not even concerned about.”

It was a cultural phenomenon that the league eradicated by making an example of the Saints. And that cultural phenomenon has disappeared from the league in the seven years since Williams ended up out of football for a full season.

17 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Good read. I’m very encouraged by Gase and his moves so far. He’s bringing people in that can win. Alpha dogs only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the OC move carefully.  He can undo all that good will if he brings in his lackluster crony from MIA (Loggains).  I hope he finds new blood, maybe a college OC, who can bring something new to the table.  Even though Gase will run the offense and call the plays, I think his choice of OC will say a lot.  

Adam Gase is not Todd Bowles where he will sit back emotionless and clueless to his surroundings and the results happening and he certainly wont make excuses, or repeat the same thing over read over,  between Gase and Wiliams they will fix things and gets things done here. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Adam Gase is not Todd Bowles where he will sit back emotionless and clueless to his surroundings and the results happening and he certainly wont make excuses between Gase and Wiliams they will fix things and gets things done here. 

I still don’t understand how Bowles was so horrible. I don’t think I’ll ever get over the shock. 

6 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Good read. I’m very encouraged by Gase and his moves so far. He’s bringing people in that can win. Alpha dogs only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree I want guys 'a little off',,, look at belichick anti social attitude etc.. When I had Cancer I saw a lot of Dr.s most staid, conservative etc. I heard about this guy who was rated #1 in his field and I had appt. He walks in, young, cowboys boots and a arrogant cocky attitude. "You're Hired" LOL

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Watch the OC move carefully.  He can undo all that good will if he brings in his lackluster crony from MIA (Loggains).  I hope he finds new blood, maybe a college OC, who can bring something new to the table.  Even though Gase will run the offense and call the plays, I think his choice of OC will say a lot.  

i'm not so keen on bringing in the guy from miami either.  he may work out but it just seems like bowles and kacy.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mangini gets hired:  "Love his tough, no-nonsense approach!"

Rex gets hired:  "Love his swagger!"

Bowles gets hired:  "Love his even-keeled demeanor!"

Gase gets hired:  "Love his swagger!"

Other than Gase has a 3 year history that says he has swagger, his team had swagger and he was direct to a fault with a hard assed, no nonsense approach.

Mangini, Rex and Bowles had no HC history that said any of this.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than Gase has a 3 year history that says he has swagger, his team had swagger and he was direct to a fault with a hard assed, no nonsense approach.

Rex had front page headlines that read "Swagger"

Mangini was a mini clone of Belichick when it came to discipline. 

So i guess Gase is what would come about if Rex and Mangini made a baby.

And Bowles... He's in another universe. He's what you get when you get sucked into a black hole. 

13 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Rex had front page headlines that read "Swagger"

Mangini was a mini clone of Belichick when it came to discipline. 

So i guess Gase is what would come about if Rex and Mangini made a baby.

And Bowles... He's in another universe. He's what you get when you get sucked into a black hole. 

And again, none of them proved it out.  It wasnt true.

Gase has a history as a HC

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Eh, for a HC like Gase or Reid who runs the offense and calls and designs the plays, an OC’s biggest job is usually running the practices and making sure everyone knows the playbook. He’s basically a glorified position coach. I personally don’t care who he picks. 

I know a lot of the "Chicken Little" crowd is going to rip this as a Bigmouth, Hothead, Braggart, howling at the moon about what an intense, competitive environment he and Williams will bring.  They will cite records and stats to back up their "foregone conclusion" about the "impending doom" that will follow shortly after this regime's Maiden Voyage.  Who knows, maybe they'll be right.  I doubt it.  To follow will be the " I told you so's",  and the dissection of where it all went wrong.  I don't  care.  At least we know we won't have weak, small mealy mouthed "Leadership" that will stand there with their arms folded, with a vacant emotionless stare, stoic and still, while ROME BURNS.   Then, stand there in the press conference telling you, "We did fine" and "I have to look at the tape".   If this comes to pass, at least I am sure we will go down swinging I don't want it any other way.   BTW;  Where is all the PROOF that Dagwood McStuffins is this small, weak, ineffectual butt-boy for Gase that won't bring anything to the table as an Offensive Coordinator?  I haven't seen it written or said anywhere.  All I have heard and seen written were positive things.  Is it because he doesn't look like a Marine?  C'mon,  Lombardi looked like  an Insurance Adjuster, and Tom Landry a Pastor.

Shows that Gase is at least confident in himself enough to bring in someone on staff who can be seen as his replacement if things go badly. He’s already better than Bowles who avoided bringing on anyone who could conceivably be seen as a potential successor and when one inexplicably emerged despite his strategy to hire only mooks... he canned him for “throwing too much” and replaced him with a hippie fresh off “finding himself” on the Appalachian Trail.

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

Gase very likely won’t bring in an OC from outside of his circle. Wouldnt make sense to have an OC that doesn’t know and can’t teach Gase’s offense. I know the puppet situation with Kacy Rogers and Bowles was unsuccessful but that set up is fairly standard. Hopefully the results will be much better. 

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s almost like you were born after the Ray Lewis era. Rex Ryan is a super bowl champion defensive coordinator and, despite what you feel about him as a head coach, indisputably better at coaching defense than Williams, and Gase is not his peer offensively or on a Head Coaching level, either.  

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

I disagree with you. Gase runs his offense and calls the plays. The OC hire is not nearly as important as the DC hire.

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

It’s almost like you were born after the Ray Lewis era. Rex Ryan is a super bowl champion defensive coordinator and, despite what you feel about him as a head coach, indisputably better at coaching defense than Williams, and Gase is not his peer offensively or on a Head Coaching level, either.  

I wrote clearly that before they came to the Jets they were coordinators and Gase has come in as a HC of 3 years, there are differences.  Pretty much it

Didnt say that anyone lacked anything.  

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

People figured out Ryans defense. I am not saying Williams is the greatest DC in the NFL, but he has improved the defense of every team he has gone to and I am not sure Ryan is better at this point than Williams. In all truth, I think I could DC a decent defense with the talent that Baltimore team had.

16 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Eh, for a HC like Gase or Reid who runs the offense and calls and designs the plays, an OC’s biggest job is usually running the practices and making sure everyone knows the playbook. He’s basically a glorified position coach. I personally don’t care who he picks. 

Thats why I didn't want Eric Bienemy! 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People figured out Ryans defense. I am not saying Williams is the greatest DC in the NFL, but he has improved the defense of every team he has gone to and I am not sure Ryan is better at this point than Williams. In all truth, I think I could DC a decent defense with the talent that Baltimore team had.

Ryan’s defensive performance has ranked higher than Williams. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Rex is a defensive genius. Flawed HC? Definitely. Flawed human being? We all are. No need to exaggerate his flaws to make a point we all agree with.

Archived