Shoring up the OL

Greenseed4

Let’s talk O-line.  Ours is sucky.  We should probably address it.  Listed below are PFF rankings. I’m not a premium member, so I can’t tell you which metrics are used for evals, but it’s a nice launching point for discussion. 

Our OL:  score (grade), pos. rank

LT: Beachum (age 30): 65.9 (above), #48T

LG: Carpenter (age 30): 56.3 (avg), #55G

C: Harrison (age 28): 54.1 (below), #30C      

C: S Long (age 28): 45.4 (below), #37C

RG: Winters (age 27): 62.6 (avg), #35G

RT: Shell (age 26): 62.7 (avg), #56T

———————————————-

Best options in free agency: (criteria is based on age, “unrestricted FA” status, and a score higher than current starter)

LT: Donovan Smith (age 25): 66.4 (above), #46T

LT: Trent Brown (age 25): 70.0 (above), #37T

OG: Mark Glowinski (age 27): 68.9 (above), #17G

OG: Billy Turner (age 27): 62.8 (avg), #34G

OG: Quinton Spain (age 27): 62.3 (avg), #36G

OG: John Miller (age 25): 64.3 (avg), #26G

OC: Matt Paradis (age 29): 79.0 (above), #2C

OC: Mitch Morse (age 27): 70.0 (above), #12C

RT: Ju’Wuan James (age 26): 70.8 (above), #33T

————————————————

Gameplan:

Go all out to sign LT Trent Brown, and OC Matt Paradis. Make strong push for OG Mark Glowinski, play him at LG, move Beachum to RT. 

LT: we move from #48T —> #37T

LG: #55G —> #17G

OC: #30C —> #2C

RG: #35G

RT: #56T —> #48T

———————————————-

This gameplan works because:

1. We need to protect Sam. Duh

2. All of these guys are f’riggn HUGE upgrades. 

3. I just can’t see Macc drafting offense at the top of this draft class, trade down or not, nor do I necessarily trust any rookie to step in and beat out any member of the lineup mentioned above (save, maybe Winters who’s under contract for another 2 years). 

Our best player on the OL, ranking wise, was Jonathon Harrison. And out of 32 starting centers, he ranked #30. 

Edit: if you factor that there are TWO starting OTs and OGs, the adjusted scoring is actually more horrible:

Beach: 48/64 (worse than .75) 

Carp: 55/64 (worse than .85)

Harrison: 30/32 (worse than .93)

Winters: 35/64 (worse than .54)

Shell: 56/64 (worse than .87)

...of starters

Wholeheartedly agree. Not sure the Pats let Brown hit FA but if they do the Jets should be all over it.

Carpenter will be replaced somehow. Can't imagine them going into FA with the LG need. Glowinski seems like the best guard hitting FA and he's young - hope they get it done even if they overpay.

Poster recently pointed out to me in another thread that Long gets $3M in guarantees if he's on the roster 3 days after the Super Bowl. Forget who it was but a great call. I think he should get let go but what they do there will be telling.

Beachum and Shell can both be upgraded and are both FA's after this season. So you can keep them in their roles for a year but it's a band aid solution that will either require draft capital this year or just be an issue again next year. Better to address in FA if possible.

Could see either of those guys kicking in to LG if they sign a tackle.

What I expect to see from Maccagnan is a Long cut, Harrison re-signing, James signing, Shell to LG, and a center and LT drafted in the round 3-5 range. Center competes with Harrison, LT is penciled in as a starter next year.

35 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

When you don’t draft OL before the 6 round, not once in 10 years ? And only pay peanuts to b and c caliber OL, you get our ol

Agree with you on drafting but as for paying, we were the 3rd highest paid o-line in the league in 2018 according to over the cap. Sad when you consider how awful they were.

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Random question, what do you guys think is more important at this point? A Center or a Left Tackle?

I know tackles get the big bucks and protect the most important part of a franchise... But I can't help feeling like Center should be the focus as a way to solidify the whole line and make everyone better. 

"Let’s talk O-line.  Ours is sucky.  We should probably address it. "

After four full years on the job and after drafting 3 QBs he thought were going to be our new young star, perhaps mac has finally the same thought.  I'd say it is a 50/50 chance.

8 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Random question, what do you guys think is more important at this point? A Center or a Left Tackle?

I know tackles get the big bucks and protect the most important part of a franchise... But I can't help feeling like Center should be the focus as a way to solidify the whole line and make everyone better.  

As long as Sam Darnold remains a right-handed QB, the LT is still the most important spot on the line.  I don't care that teams line up pass-rushers everywhere.  Protecting the blindside is still crucial, and its the hardest position to fill on your line if you don't have one.  Moreover, so many times teams draft a guy to play LT and he ends up kicking to RT or Guard because he can't handle it. 

Beachum has been "fine" there, but we can and should continue to look for an upgrade. 

Yeah, if Trent Brown becomes a free agent the Jets have to be all over that. It may happen because the Pats also have Trey Flowers becoming a FA and they can't franchise both. Do the Pats every franchise anyone? Also, the Pats 1st round pick Isaiah Wynn comes back next year off injured reserve, so a lot of reasons here to expect Brown to be available. Would also take Morse over Paradis at center due to the age difference.

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

What you think is more important the left hemisphere or the frontal lobe of your brain ? 

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree on this.

Center is the biggest priority IMO. Can't go into 2019 with Spencer Long, he stunk.

He was terrible when he was playing with an injured finger on his snapping hand. When healthy he was serviceable. The CS never should have allowed him to continue playing injured as long as they did. It was an major indictment on them really.

We could certainly use an upgrade regardless.

14 minutes ago, BigO said:

What you think is more important the left hemisphere or the frontal lobe of your brain ? 

Medically you can live without your frontal lobe, but you'll be essentially brain dead and paralyzed. You won't be able to put thoughts and actions together.

But, you can live without one of the hemispheres of your brain. There are a couple stories about people missing a hemisphere and not noticing it for a while. 

So I guess I'd say the frontal lobe is more important.

4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Medically you can live without your frontal lobe, but you'll be essentially brain dead and paralyzed. You won't be able to put thoughts and actions together.

But, you can live without one of the hemispheres of your brain. There are a couple stories about people missing a hemisphere and not noticing it for a while. 

So I guess I'd say the frontal lobe is more important.

Ahhhh explains Macc and Bowles perfectly!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I want no part of Trent Brown.  How many times have we seen the Pats let an OL go and suck elsewhere?  It's a shock when they no longer get away with holding every play. 

Otherwise very strong analysis.  Paradis needs to be our # 1 priority in free agency. 

Do me a favor, focus on Brown this Sunday when he lines up against Dee Ford, and tell me what you think. You can’t miss him, he’s easily the largest man on the field, and his technique is SOLID!

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

What kind of blocking scheme does Gase utilize?

I don’t know, but judging from the size of their starting guards before injury, Sitton (6’3, 320), Asiata (6’3, 345), I would guess a power scheme. 

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Shh...Mac is all of the sudden a genius now on these boards.

He’s considered a genius because he’s made all his moves missing the left hemisphere of his brain. Refer to Dman77’s explanation above. 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Agree with you on drafting but as for paying, we were the 3rd highest paid o-line in the league in 2018 according to over the cap. Sad when you consider how awful they were.

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Not to point out the obvious ?‍♂️? when you don’t draft OL, you have to pay for them no ? Most teams have 2-3, maybe 4 on their peanut rookie deals. We barely have 1 in shell, who isn’t really a starter. So of course we are high salary.  Why we can’t afford to break open the bank for a top OL, we are too busy paying average $ to jags.. 

23 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Do me a favor, focus on Brown this Sunday when he lines up against Dee Ford, and tell me what you think. You can’t miss him, he’s easily the largest man on the field, and his technique is SOLID!

Von Miller said Trent Brown is the best OT he's faced in the NFL.

OVERPAY THIS BEAST!

34 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Hold Dee Ford.

Not get flagged.

Perfect technique. 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

I was going to say which is more important the penis or testicles but thought it might be too crude. this is a classy site know what I mean. 

Testicles. Definitely the testicles.

I'd be like having a car without any gas or desire to go anywhere.

Archived