If Todd Bowles could go back in time what would he do differently

WayneChrebet80

The talk is about Gase, but what about Bowles?

Say what you want about Bowles, but the only real shot he had was in year one. 

If you gave Bowles truth serum I think his biggest regret would have been allowing Gailey to return in year 2 instead of retiring.  Had he done so he might have been able to attract a strong OC candidate coming off a ten win team instead of being stuck with Morton and Bates. 

I also think overestimated his ability to handle the jobs of DC and Head Coach. Why not hire a young aspiring coach as DC to work under and help you instead of your buddy? That said if Bowles ever gets another shot my bet is that Rodgers is his DC.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

If you gave Bowles truth serum I think his biggest regret would have been allowing Gailey to return in year 2 instead of retiring.  Had he done so he might have been able to attract a strong OC candidate coming off a ten win team instead of being stuck with Morton and Bates. 

I also think overestimated his ability to handle the jobs of DC and Head Coach. Why not hire a young aspiring coach as DC to work under and help you instead of your buddy? That said if Bowles ever gets another shot my bet is that Rodgers is his DC.

Take the Falcons job.

To say that Todd Bowles had a chance only in his first year just isn't true.  He did have influence on the roster, so citing lack of talent doesn't wash. He also was given the latitude to make changes on his staff, which he did, so that's not an excuse.  The  poor play calling, lack of  adjustment, poor scheming, game management, lack of discipline, game planning, poor player development culture, and stubborn adherence to a failed plan,  all fall at his feet.  NO EXCUSE.  The answer to the question is  "Stay in Arizona" or "PUNT"

I'm sure it's a question he's asking himself in some way, shape, or form... What would he do differently? What would he change?

He made mistakes all over the place. We all know that....

But I think one big question he needs to ask himself if he wants to ever be a HC again is: "How do I give a team an identity?".

Yes, his coaching also need A LOT of work. But I also think the Jets struggled a lot because they just didn't have an idea of who they were supposed to be. What was their calling card. What was their focus? Were they united? Did it feel like there was a blueprint for the season?  Bowles did an awful job of figuring that out. The Jets seemed rudderless... A coach needs to be a general and have a plan.

He wouldnt change anything and that was the #1 problem with Todd Bowles.  He didnt learn from his mistakes therefore he didnt progress as a Head Coach.  He apparently refused to listen to any perspective that went against his full proof model to success.  He's an absolutely stubborn bullheaded moron. 

This dude truly believes the NFL is going to return to the ground and pound game.  Meanwhile, he now works for his mentor who has a saying that goes, "if you dont risk it, no biscuit".  He believed it's easier to recover an onside kick that pick up a 4th down.  

I mean, where did he go right? 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He wouldnt change anything and that was the #1 problem with Todd Bowles.  He didnt learn from his mistakes therefore he didnt progress as a Head Coach.  He apparently refused to listen to any perspective that went against his full proof model to success.  He's an absolutely stubborn bullheaded moron. 

This dude truly believes the NFL is going to return to the ground and pound game.  Meanwhile, he now works for his mentor who has a saying that goes, "if you dont risk it, no biscuit".  He believed it's easier to recover an onside kick that pick up a 4th down.  

Remove "Todd Bowles" and replace it with "Rex Ryan" and this post works just as well.  Funny that you still worship Rex.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Bowles is the worst coach the NFL has seen since Kotite.  Horrible clock and game manager, players had no respect for him and ran the asylum, his X's and Os sucked, he had no ability to make adjustments and made mind-bogglingly dumb decisions like benching Chris Ivory for Steve Ridley

I'll be starting WRs and RBs every week possible next year facing the Bucs defense in fantasy

He's a terrible HC (and an overrated DC), maybe he could have had his team ready to play week 17 of 2015?  Other than that he would have had to be a completely different HC to have success.  It's just not in him, he's lucky he got 4 years.  He never should have made it that long. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Stubborn, unable to adapt and change, believes in ground & pound to a fault.

All of these are characteristics of Rex Ryan. 

None of this is remotely true.  It's fun to act this way but dude was insanely innovative in ways Todd Bowles could never dream of. 

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He's a terrible HC (and an overrated DC), maybe he could have had his team ready to play week 17 of 2015?  Other than that he would have had to be a completely different HC to have success.  It's just not in him, he's lucky he got 4 years.  He never should have made it that long. 

If the Johnson Bros actually cared Bowles would have been fired after the 2016 season when it was obvious he was beyond horrific

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

He could/should have done that in year one.  Why did he feel the need to coax someone out of retirement to coach the Offense? That's the time to get your guy.  I can remember being confused by that choice the minute I heard it. That was how quickly I started to wonder about Bowles. Interestingly he did it again in year 4 with Bates. Why did TB feel that no one who was actually employed would be a good choice to run the offense? 

My thought here is that Bowles was not as well connected or highly thought of as we are led to believe. Sure everyone likes the guy. He's a nice guy it seems. But there might have been more trepidation as far as tying their career to him. Two retired OC's in 4 years. Just odd.  But he came out of the gate with that nonsense. 

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

He could/should have done that in year one.  Why did he feel the need to coax someone out of retirement to coach the Offense? That's the time to get your guy.  I can remember being confused by that choice the minute I heard it. That was how quickly I started to wonder about Bowles. Interestingly he did it again in year 4 with Bates. Why did TB feel that no one who was actually employed would be a good choice to run the offense? 

My thought here is that Bowles was not as well connected or highly thought of as we are led to believe. Sure everyone likes the guy. He's a nice guy it seems. But there might have been more trepidation as far as tying their career to him. Two retired OC's in 4 years. Just odd.  But he came out of the gate with that nonsense. 

Gailey did a really good job in 2015. Probably the best OC the Jets have had since Parcells. Bowles should have had a succession plan knowing Gailey wasnt a long term solution.

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If the Johnson Bros actually cared Bowles would have been fired after the 2016 season when it was obvious he was beyond horrific

It was Chris Johnson, Chris did nothing his first 2 years in charge but is making up for it with a great offseason so far.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

None of this is remotely true.  It's fun to act this way but dude was insanely innovative in ways Todd Bowles could never dream of. 

Until the league figured him out, and he failed to adjust.  Hence why his last 2 years here and only 2 years in Buffalo, his teams were awful. 

Archived