If Todd Bowles could go back in time what would he do differently

WayneChrebet80

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowles did not take seriously enough the importance of coordinators and did not take enough responsibility for their performance.

His attitude appeared to be, "I hired these guys to do the job, so I am going to let them do it and not get involved."  That approach obviously failed.  

I think given that he was a former player he overly took the view that his players were men and responsible for themselves.  Bowles is an upstanding, hardworking guy, but NFL players can be a much flakier lot.  He should have adopted more of Parcells ability to pressure and manipulate players. 

He did not take the offense seriously enough.  

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The talk is about Gase, but what about Bowles?

Say what you want about Bowles, but the only real shot he had was in year one. 

If you gave Bowles truth serum I think his biggest regret would have been allowing Gailey to return in year 2 instead of retiring.  Had he done so he might have been able to attract a strong OC candidate coming off a ten win team instead of being stuck with Morton and Bates. 

I also think overestimated his ability to handle the jobs of DC and Head Coach. Why not hire a young aspiring coach as DC to work under and help you instead of your buddy? That said if Bowles ever gets another shot my bet is that Rodgers is his DC.

He would choose to be The Scarecrow before going to Oz, not the Tinman.

bowles just wasn't the right guy.  he was way more of a players coach than thought considering he was a parcells guy. and then he played the vets way more over the young guys even the vets were dogs.  granted mac didn't give him so much to coach with but he still could've done much better with the players he did get.  once the vets like wilky started to mail it in the jig was up.

his biggest downfall was his first year against buffalo. benching ivory for ridley was idiotic and out of nowhere. it was at that point i knew he was flawed. also that year against the texans when he refused to double watt and played single coverage against hopkins.  i believe it was sage rosenthals? who started that game against us.  if he wins either or both of those games we are in the playoffs and he buys extra time in ny. now he made a ton of terrible decisions after but those two games stand out in my mind during his first year

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Gailey did a really good job in 2015. Probably the best OC the Jets have had since Parcells. Bowles should have had a succession plan knowing Gailey wasnt a long term solution.

Sure, but the initial thought process was flawed from the onset. Why begin your initial HC opportunity with a guy who was sleeping on the couch with potato chip crumbs on his chest?  Starting from scratch with a short term solution built into the coaching mindset isn't good. It's not strong thinking.

Gailey being good that year potentially makes it worse to force the team to have to learn a new offense at some point in the first year or two when the old man retires again. You are right in saying that he should have addressed it year two. I don't disagree.  What I'm saying is it never should have happened in the first place. 

Let's get this straight, once and for all.  A "'Players" Coach" isn't  someone who lets the team sh*t all over him, refuses to have any accountability, plays "favorites" instead of giving game time on an earned basis ,or fails to demand excellence.  That is a "Playas" Coach".  A :"Players Coach" rewards hard work, penalizes jerkoffs and malingerers and puts his team in the best position to win.  He takes accountability, responsibility and sets an example.  Todd Bowles was not a "Player's Coach".  He was a "Playas Coach", who got himself "Played" right out of a job.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remove "Todd Bowles" and replace it with "Rex Ryan" and this post works just as well.  Funny that you still worship Rex.  

As bad as Rex turned out to be he was a much better HC than Bowles and a lot more fun to root for.  

Maybe not losing to the Bills in week 17 of his first season because he refused to give Revis help vs. Sammy Watkins. That would be a good place to start the revisionist history.

After that, perhaps not declaring Fitz the starting QB when he wasn’t under contract. That screwed Mac’s negotiating position, and probably was the beginning of the end of their partnership.

Then third, pretty much everything else he did here.

Sadly - I think nothing. He failed to learn from year to year. He failed to adjust from half to half. I think he actually believes he just needed to try this harder, or get this player, but I doubt he would learn anything. 

If he hasn't learned that ground and pound and playing not to loose is a recipe for disaster by his 4th year, he never will.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Let's get this straight, once and for all.  A "'Players" Coach" isn't  someone who lets the team sh*t all over him, refuses to have any accountability, plays "favorites" instead of giving game time on an earned basis ,or fails to demand excellence.  That is a "Playas" Coach".  A :"Players Coach" rewards hard work, penalizes jerkoffs and malingerers and puts his team in the best position to win.  He takes accountability, responsibility and sets an example.  Todd Bowles was not a "Player's Coach".  He was a "Playas Coach", who got himself "Played" right out of a job.

You're trying to split hairs by representing the negative with Ebonics. Literally nobody has ever heard this. You’re just being a bigot.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

As bad as Rex turned out to be he was a much better HC than Bowles and a lot more fun to root for.  

In order for Bowles to be bad, Rexmust be good. Jet fan ‘beaten wife’ logic at its finest.

Assemble a quality coaching staff which will never happen for him.  Learn to lead .  Lead on the field and inspire and motivate players.    Show balls to sit a veteran player who is not performing and play a young guy.  Realize that in 2018 the game is won on offense not defense.    Guy may be a good guy and good person but just seems better suited for a D coordinator position at NFL level not HC. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

My name is Jet Nation, and I approve this post.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You're trying to split hairs by representing the negative with Ebonics. Literally nobody has ever heard this. You’re just being a bigot.

"Ebonics" never crossed my mind.  In fact, it has never crossed my mind.  Must make me a poor excuse for a bigot.  Any help in making the post more "PC" would be appreciated.  Thanks Bro.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

"Ebonics" never crossed my mind.  In fact, it has never crossed my mind.  Must make me a poor excuse for a bigot.  Any help in making the post more "PC" would be appreciated.  Thanks Bro.

So you meant playas, as in beaches. He’s a beaches coach. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying, bro.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So you meant playas, as in beaches. He’s a beaches coach. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying, bro.

According to Wikipedia a "sports coach" is  " a person involved in the direction, instruction and training of the operations of a sports team or of individual sportspeople.  A coach may also be a teacher.  Since Todd Bowles was none of those things, the PC Police demand that you change out the word "Coach" from your quoted post.  Thanks.  For all the good he did us he may as well have been at  La Playa.

I don't think there's any one thing Todd Bowles could do to change things. Todd Bowles was not successful because:

• Bowles never seemed to understand how a head coach can positively influence a football game. He never took anyone by surprise.
  • While a great motivator, I think his message of "humble winning" never resonated or, really, made any sense to the modern athlete.
  • Bowles didn't understand offense. Yes, he understood how to react to other offenses, he didn't seem to grasp being offensive. As imaginative as he was with defensive schemes, he never gave the impression that offense was something he cared about.

Now, while I believe Todd Bowles is a better coach than he showed, I am just not down with Under Dog persona. A successful head coach is cutthroat, not Bowles who seemed really, really dull. "yeah, we weren't ready to play...they really spanked us...in every phase of the game." I mean, wow, that gets old quickly.

Bowles is a defensive tactician. He inspired nobody. His offensive philosophy was inept, prehistoric. Nothing tricky, nothing imaginative, nothing accomplished. The offense hasn't scored a first-drive TD in 24 games!! it's just abysmally lame!!

I'm not thrilled with Gase, but it's not like Kotite. I mean, he's got to be better than Bowles, doesn't he? I mean,  Will I remain in the wasteland of football, basketball, and baseball forever??

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Stubborn, unable to adapt and change, believes in ground & pound to a fault.

All of these are characteristics of Rex Ryan. 

True but at least Rex fielded an elite D. Bowles was all of the Rex negatives with none of the Rex positives.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

All of you:  There is nothing wrong with playa.  Or bowls.  Stop criticizing Bowls.  4 years of it was enough.  I have me some playa bowles about twice a week.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_WVgufXp0LMt6WC9kXm3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzHqXfb7AoWnE084YVR2_

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

He could/should have done that in year one.  Why did he feel the need to coax someone out of retirement to coach the Offense? That's the time to get your guy.  I can remember being confused by that choice the minute I heard it. That was how quickly I started to wonder about Bowles. Interestingly he did it again in year 4 with Bates. Why did TB feel that no one who was actually employed would be a good choice to run the offense? 

My thought here is that Bowles was not as well connected or highly thought of as we are led to believe. Sure everyone likes the guy. He's a nice guy it seems. But there might have been more trepidation as far as tying their career to him. Two retired OC's in 4 years. Just odd.  But he came out of the gate with that nonsense. 

When you know you’re bad at your job the last thing you want to do is hire hyper-competent subordinates who confirm that fact for the whole world to see. Todd didn’t want anyone breathing down his neck so he hired mooks. Sadly the strategy did help him avoid a mid-season firing. Johnsons got played and Macc couldn’t do squat because of Jets insane power structure that encourages back-biting and blame-shifting over cooperation.

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Oh yes Woody is busy helping Brexit go well over in England

Chris has been in charge, if Woody was still running things there's no way Bowles gets to year 4.  He fired Mangini after a 9-7 season and 2 out of 3 winning seasons plus a playoff app.

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Stubborn, unable to adapt and change, believes in ground & pound to a fault.

All of these are characteristics of Rex Ryan. 

Rex's teams overachieved 4 of his 6 seasons, Bowles' teams underachieved each of his 4 seasons.

There is no comparison between the two

17 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The talk is about Gase, but what about Bowles?

Say what you want about Bowles, but the only real shot he had was in year one. 

If you gave Bowles truth serum I think his biggest regret would have been allowing Gailey to return in year 2 instead of retiring.  Had he done so he might have been able to attract a strong OC candidate coming off a ten win team instead of being stuck with Morton and Bates. 

I also think overestimated his ability to handle the jobs of DC and Head Coach. Why not hire a young aspiring coach as DC to work under and help you instead of your buddy? That said if Bowles ever gets another shot my bet is that Rodgers is his DC.

I'd bet the main thing he would do differently is......

WORK FOR A DIFFERENT GM

Now I realize that was not in his control. He'd been hired by Woody as I recall and McCagnan came afterward, but I'd bet his biggest regret was working under McCagnan?

Reason being......

He never had any TALENT to work with.

Mac stripped this team down to almost nothing after 2016 and he's done a terrible job rebuilding the team. A HC is limited to what he's given to work with. Bowles never had the talent necessary to win enough games to even give the appearance that they were going to make the playoffs.

I can't remember the exact article from the NY Post (I really like the New York Post. I wonder if you do also? It seems to be a decent source for real news and not that fake nonsense you get from the New York Times, CNN, MSNBC?) Anyway, that article gave some very telling stats about Mac's drafting prowess. Something like 20% of his draft choices in rounds 2-5 are actually even still playing in the NFL? You just CANNOT win that way.

Now, in no way am I trying to defend Bowles or make it sound like he wasn't to blame. No halftime adjustments, consistently undisciplined play (especially when the game was on the line), no locker room discipline, etc. Todd Bowles had no one to blame besides Todd Bowles for losing his job.

With that said, I still think Todd Bowles did his best coaching job in 2017? That team was virtually a barren landscape in regards to talent and Bowles still managed to win 5 games when I think most fans felt that team might win 1 or 2 games.

Archived