If Todd Bowles could go back in time what would he do differently

WayneChrebet80

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Rex's teams overachieved 4 of his 6 seasons, Bowles' teams underachieved each of his 4 seasons.

There is no comparison between the two

All true... Good post. EXCEPT, I believe 2017 was an excellent job by Bowles? Really his only good coaching job in NY.

10 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

According to Wikipedia a "sports coach" is  " a person involved in the direction, instruction and training of the operations of a sports team or of individual sportspeople.  A coach may also be a teacher.  Since Todd Bowles was none of those things, the PC Police demand that you change out the word "Coach" from your quoted post.  Thanks.  For all the good he did us he may as well have been at  La Playa.

I'll bet you thought this was clever. I'll bet.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

In order for Bowles to be bad, Rexmust be good. Jet fan ‘beaten wife’ logic at its finest.

Actually pretty much an easy conclusion.  Better regular seasons, made the playoffs, 4 playoff wins.  

Rex was the better coach.  Trying to translate that into Rex must be good in order to make Bowles bad is just horrendous logic.  One doesn't need to be true to make the other true.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually pretty much an easy conclusion.  Better regular seasons, made the playoffs, 4 playoff wins.  

Rex was the better coach.  Trying to translate that into Rex must be good in order to make Bowles bad is just horrendous logic.  One doesn't need to be true to make the other true.  

Jet Nut, the arbiter of profound logic.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Disappointing response.  I've come to expect much better from you. Don't force me to have to look up the meaning of the word "redundant"

You probably should, since nothing that I said was redundant.

21 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The talk is about Gase, but what about Bowles?

Say what you want about Bowles, but the only real shot he had was in year one. 

If you gave Bowles truth serum I think his biggest regret would have been allowing Gailey to return in year 2 instead of retiring.  Had he done so he might have been able to attract a strong OC candidate coming off a ten win team instead of being stuck with Morton and Bates. 

I also think overestimated his ability to handle the jobs of DC and Head Coach. Why not hire a young aspiring coach as DC to work under and help you instead of your buddy? That said if Bowles ever gets another shot my bet is that Rodgers is his DC.

Who cares? He is no longer our HC. Why bother looking back, let's look forward.  

I'm not sure what he would do differently. He honestly thought and still thinks what he was doing was the right thing and players just needed to execute better. He's very stubborn. So I don't think he would have done anything differently. 

What I think he should have done: I think he should have gotten an experience OC after Gailey retired. An OC who is aggressive and can handle the offensive side would have helped Bowles a lot. I also think he should have had an assistant HC to help him with in game decisions. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Rex did a far better job on the defensive side of the ball than Bowles did. Would have been interesting to see what Rex could have done in 2015 with career years from Fitz, Marshall, Decker, and Ivory. 

In 2017 Josh McCown also saved Bowles job by having a career year. Had the Jets started Petty or Hackenberg they may have gone 0-16. 

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I'm not sure what he would do differently. He honestly thought and still thinks what he was doing was the right thing and players just needed to execute better. He's very stubborn. So I don't think he would have done anything differently. 

What I think he should have done: I think he should have gotten an experience OC after Gailey retired. An OC who is aggressive and can handle the offensive side would have helped Bowles a lot. I also think he should have had an assistant HC to help him with in game decisions. 

No reputable OC wanted to come here after Gailey got fired. It was obviois after the 2016 disaster that the Jets were starting a massive rebuild and Bowles wasnt going to survive long term. 

20 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

He could/should have done that in year one.  Why did he feel the need to coax someone out of retirement to coach the Offense? That's the time to get your guy.  I can remember being confused by that choice the minute I heard it. That was how quickly I started to wonder about Bowles. Interestingly he did it again in year 4 with Bates. Why did TB feel that no one who was actually employed would be a good choice to run the offense? 

My thought here is that Bowles was not as well connected or highly thought of as we are led to believe. Sure everyone likes the guy. He's a nice guy it seems. But there might have been more trepidation as far as tying their career to him. Two retired OC's in 4 years. Just odd.  But he came out of the gate with that nonsense. 

Bowles simply had no vision how a successful NFL team works in 2018. He came from the school of throw the balls out there and practice the plays, no concept of focus. Did not appear as if the Jets offense practiced anything like a 2 minute drill. Jets were often down 2 scores late in the game, but the NYJ offense  "la di da" ed it up to the line of scrimmage. And if you want the score to look kinda okay rather than try to score points and win, that;'s a pussified approach.  So when it blew up, we would hear "we didn't execute". WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? 

Bowles had no idea about how offense works, and no concept of how important a serious passing attack is in the NFL right now. Ground and pound is dead. There is no shutdown defense any more, merely containing the other guy. Recall he got rid of the "retiring" Gailey in part because Gailey thought he could install his guy to replace him. May be that was why Gailey took this job; we'll never know.

Surprising defense-oriented coaches don't get how important offense is, since it's what you try to stop. But that issue arose here with both Ryan and Bowles. Could fault Ryan for myriad failures, but at least at times his defense was good until the tape of what was doing was everywhere. That was never the case with Bowles;. One example; he gets a top dollar cover corner in Tru ...and plays zone. He had no business being here after 2016. This franchise just wasted 2 years. 

As to OCs, college has a mess of young, serious pass-oriented HCs and assistants. Bowles was never going to interview them. He owed his job to Chalrey Casserly, so instead he first got an old guy from that old boy club like Gailey. When they actually got a guy who had a clue in Morton, Bowles fired him for "passing too much". Bates was Bowles' last ditch effort to pretend he had a clue. 

What we can hope separates from Gase and Bowles is while Gase might not run the defense, he's going to tell Williams what he expects and what the gameplan is week to week. And NOBODY could possible be worse at adjustments and strategy than Bowles. 

12 hours ago, jgb said:

When you know you’re bad at your job the last thing you want to do is hire hyper-competent subordinates who confirm that fact for the whole world to see. Todd didn’t want anyone breathing down his neck so he hired mooks. Sadly the strategy did help him avoid a mid-season firing. Johnsons got played and Macc couldn’t do squat because of Jets insane power structure that encourages back-biting and blame-shifting over cooperation.

I disagree here. Bowles didn't hire better coordinators because, if you were a competent coordinator, why would you want to work for Bowles? Moreover, Bowles is a competent DC himself, so maybe it's not the best job for an established DC.

The notion that Bowles thought he wasn't a good head coach seems like a reach. And nobody would be breathing down his neck if they were winning.

The question was what would he do. He had 4 years to change his ways. I think that’s enough time to prove he wouldn’t do anything different.
What should he do? I won’t add anything that’s already been said.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And then what happened?

My point still stands. Stubborn, inflexible and reliant on ground and pound all applied to Rex Ryan.

And then what happened???  You don’t remember? The Jets got rid of all their good players, the bill came due for all of Tannenbaum‘s free agent spending, we depleted the offensive line, lost guys like Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards, replaced them with Stephen Hill. We asked Wayne Hunter to play OT and told Rex Ryan to win with Geno Smith.  There was a steady decline in talent on the Jets post-2011.  Horrible drafting, John Idzik, etc. 

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

And then what happened???  You don’t remember? The Jets got rid of all their good players, the bill came due for all of Tannenbaum‘s free agent spending, we depleted the offensive line, lost guys like Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards, replaced them with Stephen Hill. We asked Wayne Hunter to play OT and told Rex Ryan to win with Geno Smith.  There was a steady decline in talent on the Jets post-2011.  Horrible drafting, John Idzik, etc. 

When you think you can win it all - you do what you have to do and mortgage the future a bit.  Go for it.  I have no problem with what Tannenbaum did.

I remember thinking back then - that that window would give Sanchez enough time to take his game to the next level. If he had they would have maintained being highly competitive.  

The same people who want to blame Bowles for everything make excuses for Rex.

Weird how that works.

He had plenty of talent in Buffalo. What happened there?

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You sure though? 

Do you ever stop nitpicking anytime I respond to you?  This wasn't that hard, no matter how hard you try to make it.  Keep insisting that Rex wasn't better than Bowles.  And then Complaini g that someone doesn't agree with your assessment.  What a douche

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Do you ever stop nitpicking anytime I respond to you?  This wasn't that hard, no matter how hard you try to make it.  Keep insisting that Rex wasn't better than Bowles.  And then Complaini g that someone doesn't agree with your assessment.  What a douche

I never said Rex wasn’t better. I never complained. It’s like you’re in an alternate universe. The inherent problem here is that my initial post went over your head, you respond like a brat, and I just keep poking at you to make you look foolish. Ultimately, this ends with you insisting you were right about something I never said, and making personal attacks, while I’m just like...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I never said Rex wasn’t better. I never complained. It’s like you’re in an alternate universe. The inherent problem here is that my initial post went over your head, you respond like a brat, and I just keep poking at you to make you look foolish. Ultimately, this ends with you insisting you were right about something I never said, and making personal attacks, while I’m just like...

giphy.gif

Nothing went over my head.  You turned Rex was better some bizarro world comparison.  Good for you.  

You ever wonder why YOU need to spend telling people how to post, correct what you obviously said?  

You dish out a whole lot of lessons, one day you'll look in the mirror.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing went over my head.  You turned Rex was better some bizarro world comparison.  Good for you.  

You ever wonder why YOU need to spend telling people how to post, correct what you obviously said?  

You dish out a whole lot of lessons, one day you'll look in the mirror.

You’re still saying stuff? 

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Rex inherited a very talented roster and it went to sh*t under his watch. He had a big say in personel decisions when Tannenbaum was here and deserves plenty of blame for what happened.

Archived