Hall of Famer Jim Kelly gets clean bill of health in cancer battle

joewilly12

Hall of Famer Jim Kelly gets clean bill of health in cancer battle

January 18, 2019 | 6:20pm

Modal Trigger
Jim Kelly
Jim KellyRich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Jim Kelly is cancer free.

The Hall of Fame quarterback has been battling cancer for years, undergoing surgical procedures in which he had much of his jaw removed and reconstructed. He has endured recurrences since the initial diagnosis in 2013.

His wife Jill shared the most recent update on the Buffalo Bills great on Instagram on Friday, with a photo of Kelly giving an encouraging thumbs-up.

“We finally got back the results from Jim’s recent MRI…CLEAN!” she wrote. “Thank GOD! It took a bit longer than usual because of all the reconstruction Jim has had inside his mouth. They wanted to be certain that all was good.”

It has been a long road to health for the 58 year old, who received the Jimmy V. Award for perseverance at the 2018 ESPYs.

“My kids and my friends, when they came in to see me not once did they ever have a frown on their face,” he said in the July speech that went viral. “So, I just urge anybody out there, if you have somebody out there that’s suffering, it doesn’t have to be cancer. It could be somebody not having a good day. It could be your mom or your dad. It could be your grandparents. What you say to them, the smile that you have on your face, that could be the difference in them making it to the next day. Remember that. Always, always persevere. Like Jimmy V said, ‘Never, ever give up.'”

image.gif

This is great news. He's won something more important then any Super Bowl could be. So happy for him and his family.

Side note: Back in the day, he was involved in the famous penalty called on Marty Lyons. "15 yards... Giving him the business." In the early 90's I shared many a Vodka w lime juice with Lyons. The story of what led up to that call was hysterically funny, but way too colorful for this site. Kelly is a tough dude. 

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I went to school in Buffalo during the Bills unbelievable run of SBs and I can say I saw Kelly do things I never ever saw another QB do and I saw first hand what a good guy he was. 

I am so happy for him and his family. 

Lol, I remember those days. I still always rooted for him 2 times a year. 

...when he played Marino.

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I went to school in Buffalo during the Bills unbelievable run of SBs and I can say I saw Kelly do things I never ever saw another QB do and I saw first hand what a good guy he was. 

I am so happy for him and his family. 

He is hard not to like.  Did NOT want to come to Buffalo and when he got there , changed the place.  He personally recruited Flutie and is just a solid citizen of Western NY.  Im a fan.

Amazing news. The man is a better person than he was QB, and he’s a HOF, so that’s saying something. 

A cancer patient I treated, finished his treatments a couple years ago and donated to Jim Kelly’s charity. He also wrote a note to Jim saying he was an inspiration to every cancer patient.

Jim flew that man and his family out to Buffalo and got them box seats, etc all on the house. That’s the kind of man Jim Kelly is. 

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He is hard not to like.  Did NOT want to come to Buffalo and when he got there , changed the place.  He personally recruited Flutie and is just a solid citizen of Western NY.  Im a fan.

Buffalo gets a lot of grief but I will never forget being in a TOPS Supermarket on a freezing day and literally hearing through the loud speakers in the Store "Buffalo has the ball" or 'Bibbi is receiving the kick".  Literally being in the store was exciting for the game

In truth watching those Buffalo teams made me realize what it takes for winning football ---- Great players -- Yes -- Great coaching ---- Yes but most of all you have to have a winning organization from top to bottom.

And the Buffalo fans are nuts but passionate and Mr. Jim Kelly always gave his team a chance to win......

I was born and raised in NYC but there is definitely a part of me that will always cherish having lived in Western New York...

26 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Buffalo gets a lot of grief but I will never forget being in a TOPS Supermarket on a freezing day and literally hearing through the loud speakers in the Store "Buffalo has the ball" or 'Bibbi is receiving the kick".  Literally being in the store was exciting for the game

In truth watching those Buffalo teams made me realize what it takes for winning football ---- Great players -- Yes -- Great coaching ---- Yes but most of all you have to have a winning organization from top to bottom.

And the Buffalo fans are nuts but passionate and Mr. Jim Kelly always gave his team a chance to win......

I was born and raised in NYC but there is definitely a part of me that will always cherish having lived in Western New York...

I was a music major at SUNY Fredonia in the 80s.   same experience. Sunday game day was like the streets were empty as everyone was watching the game.  It was very impresionable.  It made me a better JETS fan having to defend Gastineaus behavior etc.   here in Charlotte, a TON of western NY people have come and we have 2 bars that are Bills bars.  they are incredible on a Sunday.   

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This is great news. He's won something more important then any Super Bowl could be. So happy for him and his family.

Side note: Back in the day, he was involved in the famous penalty called on Marty Lyons. "15 yards... Giving him the business." In the early 90's I shared many a Vodka w lime juice with Lyons. The story of what led up to that call was hysterically funny, but way too colorful for this site. Kelly is a tough dude. 

At the very least you can send me a private message with all the colorful details then! :) 

To this day, I believe that Jim Kelly literally threw a gift to Brian Washington to give every Jet fan, Dennis Byrds family & friends and any NFL fan with a heart a lift that was so sorely needed after seeing Byrd laying on the Giants stadium field. I remember the signs the Buffalo fans had with inspirational words for his recovery. The Bills were easily dominating the division and it literally looked like Washington was the intended target.

Sure its crazy to imagine, but I think Kelly knew he could give up one game for the greater good & still finish 13-3, 14-2. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

To this day, I believe that Jim Kelly literally threw a gift to Brian Washington to give every Jet fan, Dennis Byrds family & friends and any NFL fan with a heart a lift that was so sorely needed after seeing Byrd laying on the Giants stadium field. I remember the signs the Buffalo fans had with inspirational words for his recovery. The Bills were easily dominating the division and it literally looked like Washington was the intended target.

Sure its crazy to imagine, but I think Kelly knew he could give up one game for the greater good & still finish 13-3, 14-2. 

I think that Kelly did do that..

Think on this when Scott Norwood missed that key FG in the SB when the Bills had their city greeting the fans cheered one name.........

And yes that name was Scott Norwood.  

Interesting place...

Archived