Thoughts on Devin white?

NYallDay

I'm sure Greg Williams will have a myriad of formations, but in a base 4-3 he'll have Jenkins and Lee outside and Williamson inside?  Can Williamson play mlb?  Drafting White might not make much sense at this point for the team.  

Football Intelligence –Discipline and confidence in reads grew in 2018 as a junior. Much more confident to step with anticipation and use his lateral mobility to get over top of runs and get square on his challenges. Lapses or delay in reaction is still present but much less frequent. 

Tackling –Needs to come to balance prior to challenging the ball carrier, can overrun his target and allow cut-backs into the field. Terrific when he gets a wrap on you or a set of pads. Runs the feet, is violent with his finishes. (Has come high, contacted the face gear on a few occasions.)

Block Shedding –Stout. Drops the hips and explodes through his contact to reset ground and negate forward momentum by blockers. Does well to extend the hands and get himself clear for a lateral scrape or disengage. Effective with his hands to deliver a blow and not get swallowed up. 

Competitive Toughness –Imposing presence in the middle of the field. Prowls the tackle box and is rarely caught unprepared for contact or unable to stun blockers before chasing the ball. His range is spectacular and his effort to rally to the football is admirable. 

Lateral Mobility –True sideline to sideline player with elite speed, particularly for his stature. Will have no issue playing a true MIKE role in the NFL. Does well in his scrapes to gain ground into the LOS and not catch ball carriers five+ yards down the field. 

Coverage Skills –Zone coverage option in the underneath areas. He’s got some range to him as well, courtesy of length and spring to attack the football in the air. Doesn’t collision routes crossing his face, would like to see some more attention to the fine details of maximizing his impact in space. 

Gap Shooting Ability –Very sudden. Mass poses challenge for combo blocks or late flashing blockers to knock him off of his trajectory. Will barrel through a late block challenge and rip clear into the backfield. Has suddenness from the second level and often beats his man to the spot. 

Feet/Change of Direction –Has excellent short area quickness, has ability to quickly work over the top of a block. Does need to clean up his feet when he’s forced to slide along the LOS, can be too eager to open his hips and open up cut back lanes. Issues are technical, not physical limitations. 

Flexibility –Has good linear mobility to drop his hips and get under blockers. Has necessary mobility through his hips to hinge and open for scraping vs. the run or getting shallow landmarks in zone coverage. Only modest ability to flip open and carry if challenged vertically in pass coverage. 

First Step Quickness –Has very good track record as a blitzer and second level pressure player. Wins with momentum, has great spring to suddenly arrive in a gap after aligning several yards off the ball. Speed with a runway can provide devastating results for opposing QBs or stationary targets. 

BEST TRAIT – Competitive Toughness

WORST TRAIT – Contact Balance

BEST FILM – Georgia (2018)

WORST FILM – Alabama (2018)

RED FLAGS – None

Devin White has the ceiling of a star in the NFL. White’s explosive range, hitting power and explosiveness compliment a sturdy frame and some awesome reps of reads at the LOS. The contact balance issues with White may scare some teams, but provided he’s able to square up his challenges with more consistency it’s difficult to project anything less than Pro Bowls in his future. White plays through contact and trash well, he’s a viable starter in any system.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I'm sure Greg Williams will have a myriad of formations, but in a base 4-3 he'll have Jenkins and Lee outside and Williamson inside?  Can Williamson play mlb?  Drafting White might not make much sense at this point for the team.  

It doesn’t make any sense but I love the player. This is such a historic defensive draft. I’ve actually never seen a draft this stacked before in my entire life. Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Clelin Ferrell, Greedy Williams, Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, Dexter Williams, Devin White, Christian Wilkins, Deionte Thompson, Jachai Polite, Montez Sweat, Jeffery Simmons, Zach Allen and the list just goes on and on. I wish we had more than one first round pick. 

What a class.

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It doesn’t make any sense but I love the player. This is such a historic defensive draft. I’ve actually never seen a draft this stacked before in my entire life. Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Clelin Ferrell, Greedy Williams, Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, Dexter Williams, Devin White, Christian Wilkins, Deionte Thompson, Jachai Polite, Montez Sweat, Jeffery Simmons, Zach Allen and the list just goes on and on. I wish we had more than one first round pick. 

What a class.

Yep

On one hand it may suck that the Jets are bound to go defense if they stay at #3, but on the bright side at least the odds are damn good that they’re walking away with another franchise cornerstone player ala Darnold/Adams.

Guys like Bosa, Allen, Q. Williams, Oliver, Greedy, and White all have legit star potential.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

On one hand it may suck that the Jets are bound to go defense if they stay at #3, but on the bright side at least the odds are damn good that they’re walking away with another franchise cornerstone player ala Darnold/Adams.

Exactly this guy gets it!!!!!!!   Immediate impact players that can help us reach our goal. 

We can so use a LB that plays the game like Devin White does. 

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly this guy gets it!!!!!!!   Immediate impact players that can help us reach our goal. 

We can so use a LB that plays the game like Devin White does. 

Well, I think he meant, specifically, Josh Allen or Bosa being that it’s a specific need. Devin White looks like a really good 3-4 MLB. 

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well, I think he meant, specifically, Josh Allen or Bosa being that it’s a specific need. Devin White looks like a really good 3-4 MLB. 

Did you happen to see the impact Bosa's brother had on the Chargers -Patriots game? 

Me neither. 

There are certain MLBs that are worth picking that high. Guys like Patrick Willis were certainly worth it. Just not sure if his talent is that elite and if we will have the freedom to pick that position. We may need a CB and we need to fix our DL to fit the 4-3 better. If we solve our DL problems in free agency and he is that elite then it’s definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The scouts love this guy and he "checks" off all the boxes, sideline-to sideline, excellent tackler, great in coverage, anticipation of blitzes, strong at the point of attack, on and on.  A couple of nitpick things.  Wish he was a little taller,{6'1"},  and draft experts compare him to Jonathan Vilma.  While he is not the same player I felt Vilma's physical stature ,size and length, kept him from developing from a very good to dominant player. Besides White projects to be drafted somewhere around the 10th pick. We would end around this slot  only by trading down, and at that picking range I would prefer to pick up one of the "Stud" edge rushers who will likely fall there based on the depth this year, or a Generational  Offensive Lineman who would be typically be available there.  In a different year I would love this player, but circumstances, and "Pressing Needs", Dominant Edge Rusher and Offensive Stalwart make him a luxury that this year, regretfully ,we can not afford.  edit.  He is the player that Darron Lee should have been and will be better than Vilma.  Still......

18 hours ago, Dcat said:

I don't see Jenkins as a 43 olb. He'd have to shed some serious weight, a good 30 lbs. The one guy on the roster that might be a better fit there is Luvu. 

Also, i thinking that Williamson can play the middle in GW defense. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Did you happen to see the impact Bosa's brother had on the Chargers -Patriots game? 

Me neither. 

What does that have to do with not needing a MLB? Lol what does that have to do with needing an edge rusher since Abraham? And What does that have to do with Nick Bosa or Josh Allen.

Are you suggesting that since Joey Bosa didn’t impact the Patriots game, the Jets shouldn’t pursue an edge rusher and should instead take Devin White?

You have me all types of confused.

I don't see Jenkins as a 43 olb. He'd have to shed some serious weight, a good 30 lbs. The one guy on the roster that might be a better fit there is Luvu. 
Also, i thinking that Williamson can play the middle in GW defense. 

I agree about Jenkins. I am not sure if Williamson has the sideline to sideline speed for the 4-3.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What does that have to do with not needing a MLB? Lol what does that have to do with needing an edge rusher since Abraham? And What does that have to do with Nick Bosa or Josh Allen.

Are you suggesting that since Joey Bosa didn’t impact the Patriots game, the Jets shouldn’t pursue an edge rusher and should instead take Devin White?

You have me all types of confused.

I mentioned Bosa because someone might have been you mentioned drafting a DL. 

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Joey Bosa’s impact on the Patriots game doesn’t mean you run away from Nick Bosa.

But you question drafting yet another DL that hasn't really worked out all the well over the years here. 

Bosa vs the Patriots was a reminder. 

I say it all the time we need immediate impact players that will make a difference. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

But you question drafting yet another DL that hasn't really worked out all the well over the years here. 

Bosa vs the Patriots was a reminder. 

I say it all the time we need immediate impact players that will make a difference. 

Joey Bosa is a OLB. He’s a pass rusher. Nick Bosa is too. And Nick Bosa is an animal equipped with ungodly athleticism and his technique is as sound as it comes. Swim moves, Spin moves, Bullrush, he can hit you with every pass move imaginable. He’s refined and polished. He was the #1 pick in the draft from the second he stepped on the field as a freshman.

He’s the undisputed best player on the draft and he is a game changing cornerstone. He’s the only edge rusher that you go get if you have the chance. You are sitting here saying that you don’t mind taking defense as long as they are game changers? Well Nick Bosa is the definition of a game changer and is in his own class compared to the rest of the prospects.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Joey Bosa is a OLB. He’s a pass rusher. Nick Bosa is too. And Nick Bosa is an animal equipped with ungodly athleticism and he is technically sound as it comes. Swim moves, Spin moves, Bullrush, he’s can hit you with every pass move imaginable. He was the #1 pick on the draft from the second he stepped on the field as a freshman.

He’s the undisputed best player on the draft and he is a game changing cornerstone. He’s the only edge rusher that you go get if you have the chance. You are sitting here saying that you don’t mind taking defense as long as they are game changers? Well Nick Bosa is the definition of a game changer and is in his own class compared to the rest of the prospects.

Ok fair enough if we have the opportunity to pick Bosa we will have to see how it all works out. 

Archived