What are we doing at WR this offseason

kevinc855

Our WR were a huge let down this year. They ran bad routes and could not seem to get open. Robby came on finally late in the season but was invisible most of it. The rest were all pretty insignificant. 

The thing is it looks like we will address edge rusher and o line in the draft...as we should but the WR FA market is slim picking this year? So what’s the game plan at receiver folks? I honestly don’t know. Don’t know about you but I’m not overly excited to get 31 year old golden Tate who is rated the top Avialbale wr in fa

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good conversation regarding the receiver position but do feel that the improvement to the O-Line will actually improve the receivers we have.  I'm actually encouraged by some of the talent on our current roster.  

1.We have already re-signed Quincy and when healthy has shown to start building a good rapport with Sam.

2. If we were another team and Robby Anderson hit the market as a free agent we would want to sign him.  He is the speed that kills.  He just has to mature and make better decision off the field.  The Eagles allegedly offered us a 2nd rounder for him but we declined.

3.  Deontay Burnett as a rookie has shown flashes and continued to have that chemistry with Sam.  That play at the end of the season in the back of the end zone with more practice will be something to watch in the future.

4. Herndon the rookie TE we have to give credit for this selection.  Before being injured in college, he could have been one of those 1st round Miami TE's that always show success in the NFL.  Being able to get him where we did was to our benefit. He made the all rookie team

5.  I'm going to mention one more name that I keep seeing flashes from and wonder if he will come into his own this year and show the potential is Cherrone Peake.  Watching him play with the ruthless agression on Special Teams hopes that he uses that on offense.  With his big frame, he should challenge the catch more, block out the smaller DB's and climb the ladder to out jump them.

We live in a time of a Lotto Mentality of wanting things to happen fast and now.  History show's that it usually takes Rookie/young receivers 2-3 years to develop into the talent expected which is why most teams find that free agent wr to add to their team.

In closing, when I look at the potential of just the names I listed here and another year of Sam developing a rapport with these guy's and improving the O-line and having a feature RB:   The Arrow here is pointing up!

3 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

It's a good conversation regarding the receiver position but do feel that the improvement to the O-Line will actually improve the receivers we have.  I'm actually encouraged by some of the talent on our current roster.  

1.We have already re-signed Quincy and when healthy has shown to start building a good rapport with Sam.

2. If we were another team and Robby Anderson hit the market as a free agent we would want to sign him.  He is the speed that kills.  He just has to mature and make better decision off the field.  The Eagles allegedly offered us a 2nd rounder for him but we declined.

3.  Deontay Burnett as a rookie has shown flashes and continued to have that chemistry with Sam.  That play at the end of the season in the back of the end zone with more practice will be something to watch in the future.

4. Herndon the rookie TE we have to give credit for this selection.  Before being injured in college, he could have been one of those 1st round Miami TE's that always show success in the NFL.  Being able to get him where we did was to our benefit. He made the all rookie team

5.  I'm going to mention one more name that I keep seeing flashes from and wonder if he will come into his own this year and show the potential is Cherrone Peake.  Watching him play with the ruthless agression on Special Teams hopes that he uses that on offense.  With his big frame, he should challenge the catch more, block out the smaller DB's and climb the ladder to out jump them.

We live in a time of a Lotto Mentality of wanting things to happen fast and now.  History show's that it usually takes Rookie/young receivers 2-3 years to develop into the talent expected which is why most teams find that free agent wr to add to their team.

In closing, when I look at the potential of just the names I listed here and another year of Sam developing a rapport with these guy's and improving the O-line and having a feature RB:   The Arrow here is pointing up!

I actually think if you pair Anderson, Quincy, Burnett with a true #1 receiver from the draft, and Herndon continues to develop (after his likely suspension), I think that could be a formidable receiving corps. I was VERY impressed with both Robbie and Deontay down the stretch. Burnett is perfect for a Edelman type of role-should be easy to scheme him open.

The NY Jets need a legitimate #1 WR along with a possession WR. Perfect example in recent years was Marshall and Decker even Fitzpatrick had success.  The days of dragging in the JAG's and bums should be over and we should have learned our lesson. We have a franchise QB lets give him the players he needs to succeed. A #1 RB would also help the passing game. 

I actually think if you pair Anderson, Quincy, Burnett with a true #1 receiver from the draft, and Herndon continues to develop (after his likely suspension), I think that could be a formidable receiving corps. I was VERY impressed with both Robbie and Deontay down the stretch. Burnett is perfect for a Edelman type of role-should be easy to scheme him open.

Sure. But finding a “true #1” is much easier said than done. Not happening this offseason/draft

And without that guy this is a below average corp.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Who might that be? I don't think there is one but I'm no draft expert. A agree with you that adding a true #1 would give us a really nice receiving corps but I don't see that happening this off-season without a trade. Most likely not happening.

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Golden Tate, Jamison Crowder and Adam Humphries.  Sign them all 

As long as we address the OL, just one of those guys and Bell would be pretty good. Get another WR with our early 3rd and we’ll be ready to roll. Crowder would be my preferred player. 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Who might that be? I don't think there is one but I'm no draft expert. A agree with you that adding a true #1 would give us a really nice receiving corps but I don't see that happening this off-season without a trade. Most likely not happening.

Correct, DK Metcalf, Henry, and Butler may end up getting drafted higher than predicted.

You see how chemistry matters between qb and wr when you watch darnold throw to Burnett.  Starting out with Anderson, enunwa and Burnett at wr with the 2 TEs, that’s decent.  Of course with no 2nd rounder it makes it harder to get talent in the draft since it does not appear that there is a wr or rb to take with the 3rd pick, or even the 10th or 15th.

In today’s nfl weapons are weapons regardless of what position they play.  If you sign bell that reduces the urgency to get another good wr in FA.  The good qbs turn jags into weapons and we have to hope that’s what darnold is able to do.  Building the OL also helps.

Well, we missed out on UFA WR Devin Smith:

Devin Smith - WR -  Cowboys

Cowboys signed WR Devin Smith to a reserve/futures contract.

Smith spent last year out of the league and hasn't played a game since tearing his ACL in 2017. A second-round pick in 2015, the former Jet faces an uphill battle to crack the Cowboys' 53-man roster.

Jan 18 - 3:54 PM

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Well, we missed out on UFA WR Devin Smith:

Devin Smith - WR -  Cowboys

Cowboys signed WR Devin Smith to a reserve/futures contract.

Smith spent last year out of the league and hasn't played a game since tearing his ACL in 2017. A second-round pick in 2015, the former Jet faces an uphill battle to crack the Cowboys' 53-man roster.

Jan 18 - 3:54 PM

3rd or 4th team since the NY Jets cut him?  

Like you I am not excited about the Free Agent  options.  I have long liked Golden Tate, may be a little long in the tooth. Jamison Crowder is intriguing, having been a high quality slot receiver with a high target/completion rate during his career, as is Adam Humphries.  Crowder is the much faster of the two, making him the preferred choice. Mike Evans would be a dream come true, but isn't happening.  Not interested in DeShawn Jackson.   In house options in the slot are Quincy and Deontay  Burnett.  Burnett has good size, has shown excellent hands and runs good patterns along with chemistry with Sam.  Other interesting Free Agent options include:  Devin Funchess, of the Panthers who is tall, fast, but could be expensive, 9 million'year.  Tyrell Williams of the Chargers is huge, extremely fast, and due to "cash in". Rashard Higgins of the Browns is not as big, fast, or highly regarded, but would be a  cheaper option,  Robbie Anderson must/will be retained. The Tight End situation looks solid, for a change, with the possible exception of an added  "Blocking Tight End", to replace the inept Eric Tomlinson.  I have always liked Charone  Peake, but was disappointed with his lack of development as a receiver last year in limited opportunities.  Maybe with a new coaching staff he will do better.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Like you I am not excited about the Free Agent  options.  I have long liked Golden Tate, may be a little long in the tooth. Jamison Crowder is intriguing, having been a high quality slot receiver with a high target/completion rate during his career, as is Adam Humphries.  Crowder is the much faster of the two, making him the preferred choice. Mike Evans would be a dream come true, but isn't happening.  Not interested in DeShawn Jackson.   In house options in the slot are Quincy and Deontay  Burnett.  Burnett has good size, has shown excellent hands and runs good patterns along with chemistry with Sam.  Other interesting Free Agent options include:  Devin Funchess, of the Panthers who is tall, fast, and could be expensive, 9 million'year.  Tyrell Williams of the Chargers is huge, extremely fast, and due to "cash in". Rashard Higgins of the Browns is not as big, fast, or highly regarded, but would be a  cheaper option,  

I got to watch a good bit of Tate as he was traded to the Eagles. His primary route seems to be the out cut route. He seemed to want no part of the middle of the field. At 5'10" he is not a huge target. 

For the money that he feels he is going to be worth, I would not spend it.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I got to watch a good bit of Tate as he was traded to the Eagles. His primary route seems to be the out cut route. He seemed to want no part of the middle of the field. At 5'10" he is not a huge target. 

For the money that he feels he is going to be worth, I would not spend it.

You are right on the money.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

John Brown isn’t a star but he’s a solid WR that’s better then Kearse and will be able to fill in for Enunwa when he gets hurt. 

Enunwa, Anderson and Brown are a workable base for the season. Draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th. 

Antonio Brown would be better. 

Sign Bell & fix the damn Oline & you can sign Crowder and have huge success as Sam will easily be 25% better next year! 

Bell forces LBs & Safeties to crowd the LOS, making playaction that much better for Sam. If Sam has time that group is plenty to move the chains, with Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnett & Herndon.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I think this is fair.  These guys are all one forced to play one slot ahead of where they should be on the depth chart.  If Robby, Q and Burnett are your 2,3 & 4 guys you are okay.  If they are 1,2 & 3, that is a problem.   

I still think we need to sign a FA (no opinion on whom yet) and draft a guy with one of our 3s and re-sign Roberts as a returner/5th WR.  Then we go into next season with Q, Robby, Burnett, Roberts, vet FA and Draft pick.  We need that FA for depth in the event that Q struggles with injury (again) or Burnett does not develop as we are hoping. 

Archived