What are we doing at WR this offseason

kevinc855

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Antonio Brown would be better. 

Yes and no. The team isn’t ready to make a run at the SB with or without AB. AB is getting older and has only a few more seasons left in him so is it worth the headache and money to bring him in just for a few more wins a season? I’d rather they concentrate on the oline and bringing in younger players. 

They need to build around Darnold for the long term and to win SBs not get big name players late in their careers to sell seats. It hasn’t worked for them yet. 

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Anderson and Enunwa can play. Add a #3 from FA (Humphries maybe?) draft a guy in the mid rounds and rely on the new coach to scheme these guys open.

OL is a bigger issue. RB too.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Who is the #1 WR? 

Who’s going to take Enunwa’s place when he gets injured? You can’t depend on him making a full season and yes fit the Oline and get a better RB. Crowell sucked. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Yes and no. The team isn’t ready to make a run at the SB with or without AB. AB is getting older and has only a few more seasons left in him so is it worth the headache and money to bring him in just for a few more wins a season? I’d rather they concentrate on the oline and bringing in younger players. 

They need to build around Darnold for the long term and to win SBs not get big name players late in their careers to sell seats. It hasn’t worked for them yet. 

Fair enough but the turmoil in Pittsburgh seems to be centered around Big Ben and Tomlin both Bell and Brown had issues there it seems. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

Gase is the HC here do you think that will be better especially considering the team isn’t as good as Pitt?

We have no clue what's going in on Pittsburgh its just ironic 2 superstar players who helped that team accomplish a lot are involved in turmoil at the same time. 

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i been pondering about Peake as well...   he sure hustled his arse off on ST's...   

had a nice TD catch in the PS as i remember

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlight-teddy-bridgewater-to-charone-peake-for-td

The problem with Peake is that we are already keeping 1 WR on the roster as primarily a STer -- assuming we re-sign Roberts.  We really can't afford to use two WR roster spots on guys who contribute little as WRs.  We did that this past year and then we saw what happened as guys got hurt.  I thought Cannon looked good as a gunner on the punt coverage team, which makes Peake expendable.  No room on the roster for him.

Odds are we aren’t getting a potential #1 WR this offseason unless we pull off a trade for someone like AJ Green/Mike Evans or move down in the draft and take a guy like Brown/Metcalf.

I say tender Robby, bring in a solid young slot guy like Humphries  and draft a kid like Riley Ridley if he’s still there at the top of the 3rd.

Anderson, Enunwa, Humphries, Ridley, Burnett, Roberts

It isn’t all-world but it’s a solid, young, well rounded core. Especially if paired with Bell in the backfield and a 2nd year Chris Herndon.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Our WR were a huge let down this year. They ran bad routes and could not seem to get open. Robby came on finally late in the season but was invisible most of it. The rest were all pretty insignificant. 

The thing is it looks like we will address edge rusher and o line in the draft...as we should but the WR FA market is slim picking this year? So what’s the game plan at receiver folks? I honestly don’t know. Don’t know about you but I’m not overly excited to get 31 year old golden Tate who is rated the top Avialbale wr in fa

Walter Football (I know... ) has Tate #1 and Robby Anderson #2. First step has to be putting a first round tender on Anderson. A second round tender and they're likely to lose him for a pick in the 60s. They can't afford to do that. 

I agree that the WR crop is thin.  I like the idea of getting another TE in free agency to pair with Herndon. Can they pry Jesse James out of Pittsburgh? I'd prefer him to Brown or Bell. 

58 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Tyrell Williams and Adam Humphries are the two free agents I would be interested in.  Lots of big tall wr prospects in the draft but they all seem likely to go between our 3rd overall pick and the pick in the 3rd round.

Those are the two WRs I probably like best. I'd be happy with either/both. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Walter Football (I know... ) has Tate #1 and Robby Anderson #2. First step has to be putting a first round tender on Anderson. A second round tender and they're likely to lose him for a pick in the 60s. They can't afford to do that. 

I agree that the WR crop is thin.  I like the idea of getting another TE in free agency to pair with Herndon. Can they pry Jesse James out of Pittsburgh? I'd prefer him to Brown or Bell. 

Three teams to watch to sign Robbie are the Pats, Titans, and Colts.  The Jets better tag him with a 1st round tender.

No like Jordan Leggett? I thought he was much improved towards the end of the season.

I would sign tavon Austin and kelvin Benjamin they are both kind of one trick ponies but if gase is the offensive guru they say he should get some productivity out of them. Additionally I would take a flier on either Kevin white or cordarrel Patterson. That should give us more than enough depth at wr and we would just be lacking a true number one but if we end up being decent it should be enough to make us competitive

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Three teams to watch to sign Robbie are the Pats, Titans, and Colts.  The Jets better tag him with a 1st round tender.

No like Jordan Leggett? I thought he was much improved towards the end of the season.

They'll carry four TEs. Leggett will probably be one of them. A guy like James could replace Tomlinson's blocking but also be a legitimate receiver. 

Sign Bell & fix the damn Oline & you can sign Crowder and have huge success as Sam will easily be 25% better next year! 
Bell forces LBs & Safeties to crowd the LOS, making playaction that much better for Sam. If Sam has time that group is plenty to move the chains, with Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnett & Herndon.

Signing Bell actually adds another quality WR in one move!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I would sign tavon Austin and kelvin Benjamin they are both kind of one trick ponies but if gase is the offensive guru they say he should get some productivity out of them. Additionally I would take a flier on either Kevin white or cordarrel Patterson. That should give us more than enough depth at wr and we would just be lacking a true number one but if we end up being decent it should be enough to make us competitive

Tavon Austin and Cordarrell Patterson?   Flashbacks from the 2013 draft discussions..Lol.  Hated both then, still hate both now.  

White wouldn’t be bad to bring in for a look, just don’t count on him as being a contributor.   If he develops, it’s a bonus.  

49 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Odds are we aren’t getting a potential #1 WR this offseason unless we pull off a trade for someone like AJ Green/Mike Evans or move down in the draft and take a guy like Brown/Metcalf.

I say tender Robby, bring in a solid young slot guy like Humphries  and draft a kid like Riley Ridley if he’s still there at the top of the 3rd.

Anderson, Enunwa, Humphries, Ridley, Burnett, Roberts

It isn’t all-world but it’s a solid, young, well rounded core. Especially if paired with Bell in the backfield and a 2nd year Chris Herndon.

This is really the best we can hope for. I'm not holding my breath for a #1 because they are just not out there unless, like you said, we trade for Green, Evans or A Brown. I just don't see those trades happening. 

Getting a fast slot guy helps us in-between the 20's and getting a big X receiver helps us in the red zone. That's not asking for much, Macc needs to get it done. Plus Bell of course. Plus a better interior Line. Macc better be ready.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Humphries from Tampa and Conley from the Chiefs.

Burnett looked really good to me, and he's WAY CHEAPER than Humphries, Burnett would look good playing for Tampa too with Mike Evans & Deshaun Jackson & they have a good TE too. 

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

As long as we address the OL, just one of those guys and Bell would be pretty good. Get another WR with our early 3rd and we’ll be ready to roll. Crowder would be my preferred player. 

The key is Bell -- he is not just a RB he is a TREMENDOUS route runner and he automatically improves the entire offense!

Some folks out here say "don't pay Bell just draft another RB in the third round" have no idea what they are talking about. 

First the they don't understand what a running back like Bell can do for the entire offense and second they don't understand how important Bell would be to maintaining leads in the fourth quarter. 

Indeed the Jets lost four games this past season in which they were leading in the fourth quarter, Bell running the ball could help to close out the game.

Tavon Austin and Cordarrell Patterson?   Flashbacks from the 2013 draft discussions..Lol.  Hated both then, still hate both now.  
White wouldn’t be bad to bring in for a look, just don’t count on him as being a contributor.   If he develops, it’s a bonus.  
Tavon Austin as a wr is meh but he brings more to the table I think of him as a mediocre Percy harvin essentially the same thing with Patterson. If you can find creative ways to use guys like that they can be contributors (not big time week after week guys but contributors) Benjamin might be slow fat and lazy but he has decent hands and is a big target which could be useful for red zone oppertunities. Kevin white had a few flashes this season you don't bring a guy like that expecting him to be a huge contributor but almost look at him like he is still a prospect and hope you can get something out of him. We are not getting a true number one out of this year unless we give up our first round pick in trade or draft (even then the prospects are not can't miss this year).

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

The problem with Peake is that we are already keeping 1 WR on the roster as primarily a STer -- assuming we re-sign Roberts.  We really can't afford to use two WR roster spots on guys who contribute little as WRs.  We did that this past year and then we saw what happened as guys got hurt.  I thought Cannon looked good as a gunner on the punt coverage team, which makes Peake expendable.  No room on the roster for him.

i wanst REALLY making a pitch for Peake, rather wondering/pondering if he could be that BIG bodied WR and we already have him...  am guessing he'll get his shot to make the team, but he's gonna have to step up HUGEly for that to happen.

There isn’t much you can do if you are talking about a full WR core rebuild but what I would do is sign a guy like Adam Humphries then look to draft someone with some length in the 3rd round like Anthony Johnson(Buffalo), Hakeem Butler(Iowa State), Riley Ridley(Georgia) , maybe someone like Kelvin Harmon(N.C State) slips to the 3rd.

With the other 3rd, I’d look to take Justice Hill(RB, Oklahoma St.) or if we didn’t go LT in the first, I’d like Yodny Cajuste. That would change the offense and give Gase/Darnold something nice.

Robby needs a first round tender because any team picking after 50 could decide that he’s better than any player they can take after that spot. The big move might be a trade to offer cap relief where we give up our 1 and get back a receiver and a 1 further back in the draft.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Tavon Austin as a wr is meh but he brings more to the table I think of him as a mediocre Percy harvin essentially the same thing with Patterson. If you can find creative ways to use guys like that they can be contributors (not big time week after week guys but contributors) Benjamin might be slow fat and lazy but he has decent hands and is a big target which could be useful for red zone oppertunities. Kevin white had a few flashes this season you don't bring a guy like that expecting him to be a huge contributor but almost look at him like he is still a prospect and hope you can get something out of him. We are not getting a true number one out of this year unless we give up our first round pick in trade or draft (even then the prospects are not can't miss this year).

If you have to say that about a WR to justify them, then that is a hard pass for that player.  This team needs legit receivers for Sam, not some more special team players masquerading as WRs.    Austin and Patterson shouldn’t even remotely be considered options for this team.  

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Burnett looked really good to me, and he's WAY CHEAPER than Humphries, Burnett would look good playing for Tampa too with Mike Evans & Deshaun Jackson & they have a good TE too. 

While you are right that he looked good and has the potential to develop into a good receiver, we have the cap space and can't take the chance that some of our guys will make the jump. Burnett is just 21 years old. We can get a player like Crowder to give us 3 solid years then we can slide Burnett in there if he develops. He'll just be 24 at that time. 

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If you have to say that about a WR to justify them, then that is a hard pass for that player.  This team needs legit receivers for Sam, not some more special team players masquerading as WRs.    Austin and Patterson shouldn’t even remotely be considered options for this team.  

Gadget players are very annoying to have on your team. They are so limited and unless you have Andy Reid or Sean McVay, they just don’t churn out the consistent production as a “position tweener”.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The key is Bell -- he is not just a RB he is a TREMENDOUS route runner and he automatically improves the entire offense!

Some folks out here say "don't pay Bell just draft another RB in the third round" have no idea what they are talking about. 

First the they don't understand what a running back like Bell can do for the entire offense and second they don't understand how important Bell would be to maintaining leads in the fourth quarter. 

Indeed the Jets lost four games this past season in which they were leading in the fourth quarter, Bell running the ball could help to close out the game.

How many years will it take before he slows down? One or two? How long before he gets mad they’re no winning?

Again is signing him going to bring the Jets to a SB or will it just be another feel good big name signing to sell tickets. That hasn’t worked out for them yet. It’s all about winning SB and becoming the next dynasty not winning 10 games and just making the playoffs. 

51 minutes ago, slats said:

Well 2nd round tender doesnt mean we would lose him, we can always match the contract. Poison pills are not allowed anymore so no more "if he plays 4 games in NYC area he gets a bazillion dollar bonus" nonsense any more. First round tender is tough too because we are unlikely to franchise him, so if he has a breakout year under Gase we lose him in FA. I think he is good enough to discuss long term deal with some protection for us if he decides to go full blockhead again at some point.

Trade Tampa our first for their first and Mike Evans.

Seriously though, the QBs will ROCKET up the draft board and we are in maybe the best position for a trade up. We sort of set a price level for it last year, so something around 6 and 3 twos and we can get OL and WR and RB in the draft.

Why? Both guys can produce and contribute they are not great as typical receivers but can help make darnolds life easier and help him develop into a better qb. Who are you getting to give darnold a real threat this year? Ab who has only really been productive with big Ben and will require a walker to get on the field next season? There are no real options this season and we have more important holes to fix than big name receiver.

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Why? Both guys can produce and contribute they are not great as typical receivers but can help make darnolds life easier and help him develop into a better qb. Who are you getting to give darnold a real threat this year? Ab who has only really been productive with big Ben and will require a walker to get on the field next season? There are no real options this season and we have more important holes to fix than big name receiver.

Help Darnold how exactly?   Give it up man, those guys didn’t help the teams they were on, teams that needed help at receiver and they did nothing.  The Cowboys traded a first round pick for Cooper, the Pats only used Patterson as a RB.  Move on.  

Archived