What are we doing at WR this offseason

kevinc855

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well 2nd round tender doesnt mean we would lose him, we can always match the contract. Poison pills are not allowed anymore so no more "if he plays 4 games in NYC area he gets a bazillion dollar bonus" nonsense any more. First round tender is tough too because we are unlikely to franchise him, so if he has a breakout year under Gase we lose him in FA. I think he is good enough to discuss long term deal with some protection for us if he decides to go full blockhead again at some point.

Trade Tampa our first for their first and Mike Evans.

Seriously though, the QBs will ROCKET up the draft board and we are in maybe the best position for a trade up. We sort of set a price level for it last year, so something around 6 and 3 twos and we can get OL and WR and RB in the draft.

If the Jets want to sign Anderson to a long term deal they should just do that rather than letting another team negotiate for them. If they only want to tender him, they should use the first round tender. OTC projects the 2nd round tender at $3.1M and the first at $4.4M. No reason to dick around for just $1.3M. 

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There isn’t much you can do if you are talking about a full WR core rebuild but what I would do is sign a guy like Adam Humphries then look to draft someone with some length in the 3rd round like Anthony Johnson(Buffalo), Hakeem Butler(Iowa State), Riley Ridley(Georgia) , maybe someone like Kelvin Harmon(N.C State) slips to the 3rd.

With the other 3rd, I’d look to take Justice Hill(RB, Oklahoma St.) or if we didn’t go LT in the first, I’d like Yodny Cajuste. That would change the offense and give Gase/Darnold something nice.

We’ll know a lot more about Cajuste after next week, but I think he’s long gone by the 3rd.   Johnson and Ridley could very well be there in the 3rd.  I like Butler way too much, so therefore the Jets will not draft him, so he’s out...Lol

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

How many years will it take before he slows down? One or two? How long before he gets mad they’re no winning?

Again is signing him goiI do think that it could bring ng to bring the Jets to a SB or will it just be another feel good big name signing to sell tickets. That hasn’t worked out for them yet. It’s all about winning SB and becoming the next dynasty not winning 10 games and just making the playoffs. 

I do think that Bell is a part of bringing us a SB.

This idea of the Jets just get another Jag in here has NOT worked for the last 45 years plus.

IMO we need to get the best players on the team period.

What big name signings on offense have the Jets signed on offense in the last twenty years are you talking about?

Powell, Kearse, Forte, Fitzpatrick, Decker, Hill, Holmes, Buress?

Second tier players at best?

Guys just getting out of jail?

None of which did squat when they they left the Jets

These are your idea of "Big Name" signings?

No one in the last twenty plus years was in Bells zip code.  Curtis Martin maybe but he wasn't as versatile as Bell IMO.

Winning SBs? Hahahahh Right...

Ok

How about the Jets get competitive first.......

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sign Chris Hogan or Donte Moncrief. 

Trade down* and draft a receiver in round 1 because we are cursed in round 2.

*Only if Nick Bosa isn't available at the 3rd overall pick. If he is, then we'll have to trade for the diva. 

If Bosa is available at the 3rd pick you run up to the podium and take him before 30 seconds runs off the clock and don't look back.

29 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The key is Bell -- he is not just a RB he is a TREMENDOUS route runner and he automatically improves the entire offense!

Some folks out here say "don't pay Bell just draft another RB in the third round" have no idea what they are talking about. 

First the they don't understand what a running back like Bell can do for the entire offense and second they don't understand how important Bell would be to maintaining leads in the fourth quarter. 

Indeed the Jets lost four games this past season in which they were leading in the fourth quarter, Bell running the ball could help to close out the game.

If you're going to be the only buttfumble in a post that was generally well received, make sure that you are not posting garbage yourself. 

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Our WR were a huge let down this year. They ran bad routes and could not seem to get open. Robby came on finally late in the season but was invisible most of it. The rest were all pretty insignificant. 

The thing is it looks like we will address edge rusher and o line in the draft...as we should but the WR FA market is slim picking this year? So what’s the game plan at receiver folks? I honestly don’t know. Don’t know about you but I’m not overly excited to get 31 year old golden Tate who is rated the top Avialbale wr in fa

not that the position needs some upgrading but the routes the receivers run are dependent upon the play being called and it looked like bates was trying to bring darnold up to speed more slowly than needed.  that seems to be why anderson didn't get thrown to much until the last few games. and let's be clear too that the short routes were run so the oline didn't have to hold blocks for very long.

Help Darnold how exactly?   Give it up man, those guys didn’t help the teams they were on, teams that needed help at receiver and they did nothing.  The Cowboys traded a first round pick for Cooper, the Pats only used Patterson as a RB.  Move on.  
They would require/allow for unique playcalling which would give darnold oppertunities to orchestrate plays he normally wouldn't get to attempt?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

They would require/allow for unique playcalling which would give darnold oppertunities to orchestrate plays he normally wouldn't get to attempt?

Ok, awesome.  Let’s sign Austin, Patterson, bring back Roberts, keep Peake and we can have a group of “WRs” that actually can’t play WR.  Brilliant.  

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I actually think if you pair Anderson, Quincy, Burnett with a true #1 receiver from the draft, and Herndon continues to develop (after his likely suspension), I think that could be a formidable receiving corps. I was VERY impressed with both Robbie and Deontay down the stretch. Burnett is perfect for a Edelman type of role-should be easy to scheme him open.

We aren’t drafting a receiver at 3. The point of this whole post is I don’t see us getting a 1wr which is a problem

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sign Chris Hogan or Donte Moncrief. 

Trade down* and draft a receiver in round 1 because we are cursed in round 2.

*Only if Nick Bosa isn't available at the 3rd overall pick. If he is, then we'll have to trade for the diva. 

WUT? Those guys suck! Chris Hogan? Guy has cement shoes. I want either FAST or SUPER QUICK guys. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This idea of the Jets just get another Jag in here has NOT worked for the last 45 years plus.

What big name signings on offense have the Jets signed on offense in the last twenty years are you talking about?

No one in the last twenty plus years was in Bells zip code.  Curtis Martin maybe but he wasn't as versatile as Bell IMO.

Ok

You don’t get competitive by signing older big names when you don’t have a base. Bring in younger players and get a base then bring in the missing piece. The current Jets team barely has the corner pieces. 

LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Atwater,  Ronnie Lott, Art Monk etc didn’t bring a SB. 

Enunwa is re-signed so he’s back. Peake is signed as well and I’d guess he stays for special teams value. Anderson will be tendered and I’d like to see him back. Seems like he brings some Kenny Stills skill set who Gase brought in - I think he fits. I’d like to see Burnett back as well.

Gase also signed Albert Wilson - smaller, fast guy with YAC capability. Wilson is the guy who said if he was healthy all year he could’ve shown what a genius Gase is. Guessing they bring in somebody with that kind of skill set. Austin kind of fits the bill and is a FA. Doesn’t seem terribly unlikely.

Maybe another vet - reclamation project type guy who isn’t a roster lock - and almost certainly a draft pick.

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Who are you bringing in this year realistically? Can't leave the position as it is and expect better results?

There are probably 30 guys you can sign that would be better than Austin and Patterson.  You know, signing guys who actually play WR would be a good start.  

32 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ok

26 years old with a year off? Bell is in his freaking prime & if we get 3 great years we could maybe compete for a Super Bowl! 

I would sign Robbie to a longer term contract guaranteed for performance and injury, but not stupidity.  Do not hive him too much money up front.

Trading defenders like Leo and Lee and trying to get draft picks would seem better to me than keeping them.  Let Pennel, McClendon, Henry Anderson, Shepherd and Foley figure out how to be DTs in Williams’ system.  

Sign as many FA needs as possible.  

Top pick is best player from what you still need-DE, WR, OL.  Not a redundant player.  

46 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If you're going to be the only buttfumble in a post that was generally well received, make sure that you are not posting garbage yourself. 

I didn’t but fumble anyone. If I did it was a mistake.  Where did you see that?

And my post here was sound what are talking about?

Good Grief!

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

WUT? Those guys suck! Chris Hogan? Guy has cement shoes. I want either FAST or SUPER QUICK guys. 

Hogan or Moncief would be a good veteran signing. I really like Hogan  though. He could be the Ricky Proehl in Gase's offense. He's a Jersey kid, and has potential to be a good under the radar signing for the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I didn’t but fumble anyone. If I did it was a mistake.  Where did you see that?

And my post here was sound what are talking about?

Good Grief!

My post about giving credit where credit is due. If you accidentally butt fumbled me, that's cool. 

As far as your Bell comment. If someone would rather draft a RB than sign Bell for a king's ransom,  I wouldn't say that they have no idea what they're talking about. The arguments for and against Bell are valid. James Connor stepped into Bell's role, and for way less than what Bell is going to command.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Names please? It was a simple request

Williams, Humphries, Crowder, Tate, Moncrief, Brown, Beasley, Lattimore, Dorestte, Funchess, Shepherd, Hunters, Mathews, Inman, Floyd, Hardy, Conley, Allison, Permian just to name a few.  ALL are better options than Austin and Patterson.  

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

How many years will it take before he slows down? One or two? How long before he gets mad they’re no winning?

Hes 27 and took a year off.  You'll get 3 years out of him, at least two as a top back.  His contract is going to allow him to be dumped at that point.  

When has he ever been a whiner about wins and losses?  He smoked weed and didnt want to be used and abused by the Steelers, what else has he done that makes you worry about that? 

He not only becomes our best back he becomes our best receiver helping each position out.  But nowhere near the amount of help that he gives the QB.  He makes Darnolds life easier than any other position 

15 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

My post about giving credit where credit is due. If you accidentally butt fumbled me, that's cool. 

As far as your Bell comment. If someone would rather draft a RB than sign Bell for a king's ransom,  I wouldn't say that they have no idea what they're talking about. The arguments for and against Bell are valid. James Connor stepped into Bell's role, and for way less than what Bell is going to command.

And Conner was not Bell.  

He was a nice story, a great story for a couple of weeks.  But ultimately hes no Bell and that the Steelers were at the bottom of the yards rushing per game list tells you that. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes 27 and took a year off.  You'll get 3 years out of him, at least two as a top back.  His contract is going to allow him to be dumped at that point.  

When has he ever been a whiner about wins and losses?  He smoked weed and didnt want to be used and abused by the Steelers, what else has he done that makes you worry about that? 

I thought he was going to be 28. I’d still rather get Hunt. I think Bell is going to want to much money. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I thought he was going to be 28. I’d still rather get Hunt. I think Bell is going to want to much money. 

So we worry about a player who didnt want to be used with no regard to his health and sat out but we should open our arms to a guy who physically beats women? 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

IF Hunt is allowed to play next year he will be a huge bargain for the team that chooses to go down that road.  Just so much baggage that will come with him though.  

Would like to see them keep Burnett, Roberts and Anderson.  A less popular FA would be a guy like Cody Latimer for depth.  A guy that spent his first year with Gase and had praise from Gase early on.  Just couldn't get on the field with Thomas and Sanders in front of him.  

In the draft they could target a guy like Stanely Morgan Jr or Terry Godwin to fill the slot, which is heavily target in Gase's offense.

Anderson and Roberts to fill the Stills role, Enunwa and Latimer to fill the Parker role and Burnett and draft pick to fulfill the Amendola role.

No splashy, big name, diva wide receivers (except for maybe Anderson) that are young, good mix of talent and experience that Darnold can develop and grow with.

Would rather spend the cap space on the offensive line and a pass rusher if one hits free agency.

Archived