What are we doing at WR this offseason

kevinc855

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we worry about a player who didnt want to be used with no regard to his health and sat out but we should open our arms to a guy who physically beats women? 

He was suspended, is doing therapy and is paying the price of his actions. He deserves a second chance and as far as just football it’s a no brainer. He’s a beast on (and off) the field. Excellent running, excellent receiver and he can block. He’ll also have something to prove and will be a lot cheaper then Bell plus a lot younger. It’s Hunt 1000 times over Bell. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Hogan or Moncief would be a good veteran signing. I really like Hogan  though. He could be the Ricky Proehl in Gase's offense. He's a Jersey kid, and has potential to be a good under the radar signing for the Jets. 

He blows, I live in New England, I see every Pats game. We need guys that move the needle, mediocre slow players don't do that. Personally, there isn't 1 free agent WR worth those big contracts their agents try to get them. I'd rather sign Bell, really smooth runner, incredible hands out of the backfield, and hopefully trade back & land a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft. 

Everytime Sam Darnold was given time to operate of the offense we moved the ball, and many, many times, that was after 2 unsuccessful runs forcing us into 3rd & long. Fix the OLINE, sign Bell (McGuire & Cannon are cheap decent backups), maybe sign a guy like Crowder? 

Our big free agent money needs to be spent on guys that move the needle! Guys that are top ranked players at their position, like Bell, and Clowney or Lawrence, difference makers! That Khalil Mack trade elevated that entire defense! 

The Jets might be able to sign Clowney, trade back and land Clelin Ferrell! How would you like those bookends in Gregg Williams 4-3? 

We need bold moves that have significant impact on 3rd down CONVERSIONS & 3rd down STOPS. Bell makes defending the Jets that much harder on 3rd down. A Clowney + Ferrell tandem, with Leo and ? In the middle gives us a chance to finally pressure opposing QBs. 

Upgraded Oline gives Sammy a second or two to find open WRs & TEs. I know their are many skeptical fans when it comes to how fast the Jets can turn this around but it can be done if we get lucky & a few things fall into place. The QB is set baby & now it's time to find a few players.

A name to watch in the 3rd or 4th round depending on how he tests: XAVIER UBOSI from UAB. 

He's 6'3 215 lbs and averaged 24 yards per catch. He had a slow start to the season but came in strong late and dominated his bowl game. Passes the eye test as a legit NFL WR. 

He's playing in the EAST-WEST game and NFLPA Bowl game.  Love him as an under the radar prospect. 

IF Hunt is allowed to play next year he will be a huge bargain for the team that chooses to go down that road.  Just so much baggage that will come with him though.  
Hunt will probably choose where he goes next year. I think a lot of teams will make similar offers to him with a cheap low to no guarantee deal.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Golden Tate, Jamison Crowder and Adam Humphries.  Sign them all 

Being the WR junkie that I am, clearly i'll be posting 1000 times in this thread. 

I'd pass on all of those. I think Burnett can develop into a long term solution at slot -- making all of these redundant. Crowder's a bust. Health will run him out of the league in 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Who might that be? I don't think there is one but I'm no draft expert. A agree with you that adding a true #1 would give us a really nice receiving corps but I don't see that happening this off-season without a trade. Most likely not happening.

Lots of #1 options. 

The JETS need an prototype Split-End (X) WR... and there is a bounty of them this year. None a fool proof if that's what you mean.

4 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

Correct, DK Metcalf, Henry, and Butler may end up getting drafted higher than predicted.

Barring medical red flags, i think Metcalf will go near top 10... the rest who knows. Testing numbers are going to be big for them. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In what sense? In terms of targets? Probably Enunwa.

Not every offense needs a "number one" receiver.

#1 WR in a sense of being the best on the team and top 10 NFL

We need a #1 WR as the rest of our guys aren't all that great, mediocre WR's will not win us a Super Bowl or help Sam Darnold. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Being the WR junkie that I am, clearly i'll be posting 1000 times in this thread. 

I'd pass on all of those. I think Burnett can develop into a long term solution at slot -- making all of these redundant. Crowder's a bust. Health will run him out of the league in 2 years. 

Lots of #1 options. 

The JETS need an prototype Split-End (X) WR... and there is a bounty of them this year. None a fool proof if that's what you mean.

Barring medical red flags, i think Metcalf will go near top 10... the rest who knows. Testing numbers are going to be big for them. 

Three years from now Metcalf has a better chance of being a top 10 player at his position than any of the other guys being mentioned in the top 5.  

37 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He was suspended, is doing therapy and is paying the price of his actions. He deserves a second chance and as far as just football it’s a no brainer. He’s a beast on (and off) the field. Excellent running, excellent receiver and he can block. He’ll also have something to prove and will be a lot cheaper then Bell plus a lot younger. It’s Hunt 1000 times over Bell. 

And here's someone who we know beats women.  We don't know he won't do it again, this want just first time was it?  So it's not another chance, it's an additional chance.  

That's before we get into the negative publicity that will come with signing Hunt.  

We all want the cheapest out but this is a tough one

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I think this is fair.  These guys are all one forced to play one slot ahead of where they should be on the depth chart.  If Robby, Q and Burnett are your 2,3 & 4 guys you are okay.  If they are 1,2 & 3, that is a problem.   

I still think we need to sign a FA (no opinion on whom yet) and draft a guy with one of our 3s and re-sign Roberts as a returner/5th WR.  Then we go into next season with Q, Robby, Burnett, Roberts, vet FA and Draft pick.  We need that FA for depth in the event that Q struggles with injury (again) or Burnett does not develop as we are hoping. 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Odds are we aren’t getting a potential #1 WR this offseason unless we pull off a trade for someone like AJ Green/Mike Evans or move down in the draft and take a guy like Brown/Metcalf.

I say tender Robby, bring in a solid young slot guy like Humphries  and draft a kid like Riley Ridley if he’s still there at the top of the 3rd.

Anderson, Enunwa, Humphries, Ridley, Burnett, Roberts

It isn’t all-world but it’s a solid, young, well rounded core. Especially if paired with Bell in the backfield and a 2nd year Chris Herndon.

Just using your two posts to highlight a point--

Unless we loose Robbie to FA... i don't think we can sign a WR in FA. We only have room for 5 WRs if you're going to keep A. Roberts

1. Quincy
  2. Robbie
  3. Burnett (this is happening i believe)
  4. Rookie (this also needs to happen)
  5. Gunner/Peak

Something's gotta give there. And that's pushing it, committing to 6 WRs total, far from guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I still want AJ Brown

If somehow we end up trading back or accumulating an early 2nd round pick - this would be a beast selection... Not the X receiver we need, but i think he's getting seriously under valued at this point. IMO it would be mistake to take guys like Harmon, Butler etc ahead of him. 

I don't think we can address WR in FA this year... not saying don't sign some depth and competition, but the starting line up needs a major addition through the draft.... 

This is who'd be looking w/regards to what we need:

Round 1) -- DK Metcalf, whether at #3 or a few spots back in a trade scenario, he's worth a look and roll of the dice.

Round 3) -- K. Doss, J. Hurd, H. Butler

Round 4 and beyond) -- A. Johnson, P. Campbell, E. Butler, J. Way, J. Ferguson

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I don't think we can address WR in FA this year... not saying don't sign some depth and competition, but the starting line up needs a major addition through the draft.... 

This is who'd be looking w/regards to what we need:

Round 1) -- DK Metcalf, whether at #3 or a few spots back in a trade scenario, he's worth a look and roll of the dice.

Would you really advocate a "roll of the dice" with the #3 pick? Macc would get killed for that.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Would you really advocate a "roll of the dice" with the #3 pick? Macc would get killed for that.

Fcking rights i would. Otherwise you end up Leo Williams instead of Todd Gurley. Imagine what the JETS would look like today, had Macc rolled the dice there... 

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Here you go. For the record, this Antonio Brown territory. 

What do you mean AB territory? I always have trouble imagining how these guys at the lower level will transition to the NFL. I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen at all, it's just my own mental hurdle of seeing how it translates. 

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

My post about giving credit where credit is due. If you accidentally butt fumbled me, that's cool. 

As far as your Bell comment. If someone would rather draft a RB than sign Bell for a king's ransom,  I wouldn't say that they have no idea what they're talking about. The arguments for and against Bell are valid. James Connor stepped into Bell's role, and for way less than what Bell is going to command.

Ok

First please let me know which post I butt fumbled you on because I deliberately don't do that and want to undo that.

Second no Connor didn't step in to Bell's shoes. I truly believe if Bell were running the rock they wouldn't have been on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

IMO I believe that in the NFL over time big time players are the ones who help teams consistently win and perform at a high level on the biggest stages. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What do you mean AB territory? I always have trouble imagining how these guys at the lower level will transition to the NFL. I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen at all, it's just my own mental hurdle of seeing how it translates. 

Dominating at a smaller program and popping on film. He can do it all -- which is the way i felt about Brown when he was coming out central Mich... There's lots of guys who throw up big numbers at small schools, but sometimes how they do it is what matters. 

Build the offensive line, you’ll be surprised how good the Corp you have already is- it is enough for now to give Sam options. 

Don’t reach on a WR unless you find that big, tough WR who can block and not afraid to knock a D player on his ass.  Draft him, don’t spend the $$$ for someone else’s leftovers or for a malcontent that will be a locker room cancer. 

A pass rusher like Bosa though, you run up the pick at three.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And here's someone who we know beats women.  We don't know he won't do it again, this want just first time was it?  So it's not another chance, it's an additional chance.  

That's before we get into the negative publicity that will come with signing Hunt.  

We all want the cheapest out but this is a tough one

He not just cheaper. Outside of the off the field stuff he’s a better choice. This is the only incident  I know of against a women and he didn’t beat his girlfriend/wife. He shoved and kicked a chick that apparently refused to leave his condo and hall. We don’t know the complete story. Obviously he should of just called security to get rid of her but sh*t happens when you’re drinking and get angry. I have zero issue with him getting signed.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Burnett is slow. 

No he isn't, he's "not fast" but he's quick & runs good routes & has great hands, and that's what you need in the slot. Julian Edelman isn't fast either, but, he quick. 

15 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Build the offensive line, you’ll be surprised how good the Corp you have already is- it is enough for now to give Sam options. 

Don’t reach on a WR unless you find that big, tough WR who can block and not afraid to knock a D player on his ass.  Draft him, don’t spend the $$$ for someone else’s leftovers or for a malcontent that will be a locker room cancer. 

A pass rusher like Bosa though, you run up the pick at three.

Claypool and Humphrey both fit that bill. I’m hoping the get a Cherbert type. They need someone to make plays when needed and get first downs. 

12 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He not just cheaper. Outside of the off the field stuff he’s a better choice. This is the only incident  I know of against a women and he didn’t beat his girlfriend/wife. He shoved and kicked a chick that apparently refused to leave his condo and hall. We don’t know the complete story. Obviously he should of just called security to get rid of her but sh*t happens when you’re drinking and get angry. I have zero issue with him getting signed.

He also lied repeatedly to his employer about what really happened. That led to his release every bit as much as the actual incident did.

Archived