What are we doing at WR this offseason

kevinc855

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the want for a big bodied #1 type of WR but I think Gase's offense heavily emphasizes the slot with players that don't have to be physically dominant.  Landry spent 60% - 70%+ time in the slot during his good years in Miami.  When he left, Gase replaced him with Amendola (the highest targeted receiver this past season) and Albert Wilson.  They already had Jakeem Grant (another slot receiver) and Gase talked about getting Stills more touches by moving him into the slot.  Stills played 40% in the slot during the 2017 when Landry was still in Miami.  Thats 4 receivers 6 feet or shorter (Stills 6', Amendola 5'11", Wilson 5'9", Grant 5'6") with Davante Parker as the only other receiver seeing significant targets.  If Gase did have control over the roster in Miami, it says a lot about the type of receiver Gase favors in his offense.

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So a WR that is a mid first projection at best, is ok to pick #3?

Mid-1st round? the whole WR class is still fluid. 

Look, no one gives a sh*t where you drafted Metcalf 2-3 years from now. #3? #10--> who cares. Is he worth our only pick before round 3, and are there better players that move the needle are the two real questions. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Just using your two posts to highlight a point--

Unless we loose Robbie to FA... i don't think we can sign a WR in FA. We only have room for 5 WRs if you're going to keep A. Roberts

1. Quincy
  2. Robbie
  3. Burnett (this is happening i believe)
  4. Rookie (this also needs to happen)
  5. Gunner/Peak

Something's gotta give there. And that's pushing it, committing to 6 WRs total, far from guaranteed. 

I am not in favor of keeping two WRs who are primarily STers.  So if we keep Roberts, then Cannon is the gunner -- no need to keep Peake.  Replace him with a FA WR who can give us something in the passing game.  Quincy is an injury risk,  rookie WR may or may not be ready to conribute, who knows what Burnett is going to be.  I think we need to sign an experienced WR in FA to replace Peake.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Macc would get lambasted by the majority here, Just saying.

no they wouldn't. 

We haven't picked a WR in the 1st since 2001 -- and we've taken 235 DTs in the first since then... who exactly is going to be pissed the Jets took this guy, over another dlineman?

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

And then, 2years later "Macc is such a dope for taking Metcalf at 3, when (insert whatever player after Metcalf rises) was there".

He’s a dope for drafting who he has so far, criticism will always be there no matter what if it doesn’t work out.  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

no they wouldn't. 

We haven't picked a WR in the 1st since 2001 -- and we've taken 235 DTs in the first since then... who exactly is going to be pissed the Jets took this guy, over another dlineman?

Just watch. That pick would be met with "Macc does not understand value". Just saying.

It is easy to mock and pick, when it does not have to meet the scrutiny of fans, pundits, and time. 

And I like Metcalf. But not at 3.

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

no they wouldn't. 

Do you believe that a current poll on this site asking; "Draft DJ Metcalf at 3", yes or no, would yield 50% + "yes"?

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just watch. That pick would be met with "Macc does not understand value". Just saying.

It is easy to mock and pick, when it does not have to meet the scrutiny of fans, pundits, and time. 

And I like Metcalf. But not at 3.

What scrutiny? How are you defining value?

A healthy Metcalf is nearly on par with AJ Green... who went #3 if memory serves. I don't understand what you're saying. Are you suggesting that the only positions that hold value in are SEC dlinemen and QBs? When we took the "value surpreme" pick with Leo Williams -- it literally did nothing to improve our team on the field. It was redundant. Value? Value is winning games and hypothetically a player like Metcalf is going to make a bigger difference on this team than some of these other players. 

27 minutes ago, Jetster said:

No he isn't, he's "not fast" but he's quick & runs good routes & has great hands, and that's what you need in the slot. Julian Edelman isn't fast either, but, he quick. 

Heart.  Knows his limitations, worked longer than any WR on catching the ball, a football player.  Maybe not a #1, or even a #2 at this level, but a weapon nonetheless.  Your QB trusts him.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Do you believe that a current poll on this site asking; "Draft DJ Metcalf at 3", yes or no, would yield 50% + "yes"?

lol, i think that would go 70%+ YES, but not for the reasons you're looking for.

Post a highlight reel on JN --> the masses respond with "Kid's a stud, just draft him already"

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure. But finding a “true #1” is much easier said than done. Not happening this offseason/draft

And without that guy this is a below average corp.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

Kelvin Harmon is a Michael Thomas/JuJu Clone and will be available in the 2nd. Make it happen, Tanny!!

Oops, LOL

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

What scrutiny? How are you defining value?

A healthy Metcalf is nearly on par with AJ Green... who went #3 if memory serves. I don't understand what you're saying. Are you suggesting that the only positions that hold value in are SEC dlinemen and QBs? When we took the "value surpreme" pick with Leo Williams -- it literally did nothing to improve our team on the field. It was redundant. Value? Value is winning games and hypothetically a player like Metcalf is going to make a bigger difference on this team than some of these other players. 

Seriously, who exactly would we be passing on that is such a no-brainer anyway?   Another DT?  Please.   This franchise has neglected WRs in the draft more than any other franchise in the league, it’s not even close.  

Just now, sec101row23 said:

What does that prove exactly?  Why are you so consumed with popular opinion?  

Well, it would prove that not everone is thinking the same way and that there are mny other opinions. It does not make one more right than the other.

When people say "roll the dice" with a #3 pick, I tend to cringe a little. And I like Metcalf. But not at 3

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Well, it would prove that not everone is thinking the same way and that there are mny other opinions. It does not make one more right than the other.

When people say "roll the dice" with a #3 pick, I tend to cringe a little. And I like Metcalf. But not at 3

At what pick then?  

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Heart.  Knows his limitations, worked longer than any WR on catching the ball, a football player.  Maybe not a #1, or even a #2 at this level, but a weapon nonetheless.  Your QB trusts him.

And he's really YOUNG! Can get much better with NFL experience. Be really cool having 2 UDFAs succeed on our offense. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

We'll get you the rest of the way... 

Just forget rankings and all that. They need to do their homework on a handful of guys and start to really look at who moves the needle on the floor, and who's going to help elevate the roster and who is going to help Sam and Adam do what they want, 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I say he is in the range of 10-15.

BUT, a bigger caveat for me is the question-What did we did the Jets do in Free agency? Drafting players now, without understanding the plan and what will happen in FA is relatively a worthless exercise.

I can guarantee you they will not sign a legit WR1 true X receiver in free agency.   That need will definitely still be there come draft time.  

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

BUT, a bigger caveat for me is the question-What did we did the Jets do in Free agency? Drafting players now, without understanding the plan and what will happen in FA is relatively a worthless exercise.

Thank you, that's the other part of the equation.... We all know that you're not going to find a Metcalf in FA... you can however address the DLine and pass rush reasonably well this year. 

56 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He not just cheaper. Outside of the off the field stuff he’s a better choice. This is the only incident  I know of against a women and he didn’t beat his girlfriend/wife. He shoved and kicked a chick that apparently refused to leave his condo and hall. We don’t know the complete story. Obviously he should of just called security to get rid of her but sh*t happens when you’re drinking and get angry. I have zero issue with him getting signed.

I don't want him in my team.  I don't like him. I don't care he can run the ball, he's a punk.  You're not filling to ever convince me to forget what he is.  Don't give me excuses that he's never done this before.  As if once is ok.  He was suspended in college 

We dont agree.  He can play, I don't want him

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Thank you, that's the other part of the equation.... We all know that you're not going to find a Metcalf in FA... you can however address the DLine and pass rush reasonably well this year. 

I respect all that you have here, but without knowing the offseason actions, It is difficult for me to sign off on this right now.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't want him in my team.  I don't like him. I don't care he can run the ball, he's a punk.  You're not filling to ever convince me to forget what he is.  Don't give me excuses that he's never done this before.  As if once is ok.  He was suspended in college 

We dont agree.  He can play, I don't want him

Fair enough. What about Anderson?

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Fair enough. What about Anderson?

First off, just to get it straight, his college issues were with a woman.  

Anderson was exonerated by the police.  He didn't beat down anyone.  I've been ticketed for speeding.  Never touched a woman, kicked her, beat her.   

I have a mother, a sister and a daughter. And my opinion.  That's all

Archived