Do the Jets roll the dice and pursue Kareem Hunt?

5 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

If properly vetted and the FO feels it's unlikely to recur, sure. If he serves his suspension and the league says he can work, I have no issues with him playing here. We've weathered the storm with signing Vick and others, wouldn't be the first. I think equally as little, maybe less, about Roethlisberger, but would have enjoyed watching him win superbowls here. 

I HATED the signing of  MIchael  Vick.  Before he got here, while he played for us, and every game he played thereafter, I "wished" that someone would break his leg.  I don't give a rat's ass about his "upbringing".  Dog Fighting is not "Culture". Anyone who could do that to any living thing for sport, much less a dog, is a certified piece of sh*t.

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If I were the NFL I'd do this:

1) Force Hunt to do XX amount of hours working with battered women

2) Hunt should come out and offer to donate to one of these organizations

The NFL has a terrible image with these issues, use this as an opportunity to get a star back into the league while bringing active awareness to domestic violence. 

This has nothing to do with domestic violence. This was about a drunk white women calling a drunk black man the N-word and this drunk man using poor decisions making in attacking the women. 

The NFL has no place in telling people to be responsible drinkers when their most prominent sponsors are from alcohol beverages.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

hello my name is average football messageboard poster and i am willing to exchange my dignity for justifying a professional athlete kicking a defenseless woman please

@RutgersJetFan

Yes, the defenseless 19 year old “woman” who decided to confront and take a swing at a professional athlete after starting a fight with his girlfriend,  and then calling him & his friends the n word because she was denied access to his party.

Super defenseless. Strange she kept approaching him and fighting his friends despite his Super villainous behavior. 

I don’t see a victim here.  I see two drunk kids acting like two drunk kids. And Honestly, given her perseverance to break past blockers, if SHE could run for 1300 yards in a season, I’d say sign HER to the team, God knows we could use someone averaging 4.9 a clip to take pressure off Sam. That’s all I really care about. Let the kids smoke weed and crack and punch whores in the mouth, maybe even support them when they lightly kick a girl in the pants....I don’t give a crap. I want my football team to win the Super Bowl. I’ll let my morals and dignity be defined by MY actions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yes, the defenseless woman who decides to confront and take a swing at a professional athlete defense. 

There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't care about the whole thing. It's honestly fine. We can't all be causeheads for every little thing. But it's a losing argument you're making in this thread and it's not a good look.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't care about the whole thing. It's honestly fine. We can't all be causeheads for every little thing. But it's a losing argument you're making in this thread and it's not a good look.

I’ve edited my response since this quote. Not necessarily for the better, lol

Nope... easy pass.

One side of the mouth: "RBs shouldn't be drafted high or paid too much because they're a dime a dozen!"

Other side of the mouth: "Oooh talent for cheap and the violence against a woman wasn't that violent and she was aggressive so you can't blame him."

Weak... draft a guy in round 3 (coincidentally the same amount of violent incidents Hunt had in 2018).

• Sympathy 2

Look, I’m not advocating violence, or battery. But to put this in context.... 

Kareem Hunt pushed a woman, then pushed a man into said woman, then  lightly kicked her in the bottom when she was in a crouching position, causing her to topple. I don’t know what was said or done prior to the confrontation, nor can I justify the actions of either party, but... if he has learned his lesson and can better our team... 

Ray Lewis murdered two people and the following year went on to earn Defensive player of the year, multiple probowl awards, and then had a ten year career following the “incident”.

Maybe we should keep an open mind to adding talent to this roster.

I go to church. I don’t hurt people. But I do like it when the Jets win. There’s not a “best team morals” award. Who here can honestly tell me the recipient of the ‘Walter Payton Man of the year’ award?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Look, I’m not advocating violence, or battery. But to put this in context.... 

Kareem Hunt pushed a woman, then pushed a man into said woman, then  lightly kicked her in the bottom when she was in a crouching position, causing her to topple. I don’t know what was said or done prior to the confrontation, nor can I justify the actions of either party, but... if he has learned his lesson and can better our team... 

Ray Lewis murdered two people and the following year went on to earn Defensive player of the year, multiple probowl awards, and then had a ten year career following the “incident”.

Maybe we should keep an open mind to adding talent to this roster.

I go to church. I don’t hurt people. But I do like it when the Jets win. There’s not a “best team morals” award. Who here can honestly tell me the recipient of the ‘Walter Payton Man of the year’ award?

That's exactly the point.  Give me more "Walter Payton's".  It's not about this "one" incident.  There's been at least three. Five year old boys know that you don't hit a woman.  Sure, she wasn't blameless, and acted like a fool.  What man hasn't had a woman get in his face before, knowing that she can, because a man isn't supposed to react physically.  I don't care if she slapped him.  You don't hit a woman.  He had several opportunities to walk away. He was pulled away, at least once.  He went back.  Then he lied about it.  Didn't realize there was a tape.  Oh well.  Now he has to pay the price.  Hope he learns from it.  If  this was the only incident, I would be inclined to be more compassionate towards him.  After three, no thanks.  The Chiefs knew  something, and released him.  They did the right thing.   I don't wish him ill, like you said he's no Ray Lewis, or Ben Rothlesberger for that matter.  I wouldn't want them on my team either and neither should you.  I could tell from your previous posts/responses what type of person I thought you were, and was frankly surprised at your response to this one.  I'm glad you  have at least somewhat, changed your stance.  We don't need guys like this, I'll take a Walter Payton or a Dennis Byrd, every time. Regards.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

That's exactly the point.  Give me more "Walter Payton's".  It's not about this "one" incident.  There's been at least three. Five year old boys know that you don't hit a woman.  Sure, she wasn't blameless, and acted like a fool.  What man hasn't had a woman get in his face before, knowing that she can, because a man isn't supposed to react physically.  I don't care if she slapped him.  You don't hit a woman.  He had several opportunities to walk away. He was pulled away, at least once.  He went back.  Then he lied about it.  Didn't realize there was a tape.  Oh well.  Now he has to pay the price.  Hope he learns from it.  If  this was the only incident, I would be inclined to be more compassionate towards him.  After three, no thanks.  The Chiefs knew  something, and released him.  They did the right thing.   I don't wish him ill, like you said he's no Ray Lewis, or Ben Rothlesberger for that matter.  I wouldn't want them on my team either and neither should you.  I could tell from your previous posts/responses what type of person I thought you were, and was frankly surprised at your response to this one.  I'm glad you  have at least somewhat, changed your stance.  We don't need guys like this, I'll take a Walter Payton or a Dennis Byrd, every time. Regards.

He did. Have several opportunities to walk away. And he didn’t. He’s not me, or you, or any other respectable human...at least that evening. I’m not aware of his other incidents....but he he is a hell of a good RB, which we need. 

46 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

This!!! Despicable what Hunt did. Public perception is he is guilty. Absolutely NO 

In a lot of these cases it’s all about the perception. You can say let the court decide, but often victims and witnesses are bought off. Hell even videos don’t show what led up to some incidents  Have heard there are accounts where she had something to do with escalating the situation. I am only talking about this one incident not a history. So it is all about the perception.

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

This has nothing to do with domestic violence. This was about a drunk white women calling a drunk black man the N-word and this drunk man using poor decisions making in attacking the women. 

The NFL has no place in telling people to be responsible drinkers when their most prominent sponsors are from alcohol beverages.

You are absolutely correct but the media will play the DV card. The NFL would be wise to get as far ahead of it as they can. Are you under the impression there won't be any dicipline for Hunt since it was an alcohol issue?

Guy got fired. He's currently unemployed. He's been punished, the weird "modern people must be punished forever thing" blows my mind. The stupid incident cost him millions of Dollars at best. At worst his livelihood.  

Give him another chance, put him on some woman's charity work. Pay money out of his wage to help women's programs. Place domestic violence clause in his contract and sign him up.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Even if he has an eight game suspension. He would be on the team the second half of the year plus another three or four years depending on his contract. 

He is signing a 1 year tryout wherever he goes and then cashing in if he plays like he was.

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I HATED the signing of  MIchael  Vick.  Before he got here, while he played for us, and every game he played thereafter, I "wished" that someone would break his leg.  I don't give a rat's ass about his "upbringing".  Dog Fighting is not "Culture". Anyone who could do that to any living thing for sport, much less a dog, is a certified piece of sh*t.

I hated when we signed Vick too but let me ask - do you eat chicken, burgers, steak, fish, bacon, etc? 

• Thumb Down 2

Randy Moss did all kinds of sh*t when he was young. Minny got rid of him, Raiders got rid of him. Pats trade for him & everyone says how smart they are! 

Like someone else said, Ray Lewis is a murderer. 

Sign him up, have a clause, let him rip the Patriots a new A hole, WIN. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets from past signing's dont seem to have any issues bringing in players with prior convictions. From a public perspective it doesnt look good signing Hunt. By no means do i condone what he did. But everybody deserves a 2nd chance. This dude's a hell of a player & will help this team Win Football games on Sundays. I just hope this kid has his head on straight if they do indeed sign him.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hated when we signed Vick too but let me ask - do you eat chicken, burgers, steak, fish, bacon, etc? 

So eating is the same as torture for entertainment? 

Not remotely the same thing.  But neither is dog fighting and beating a woman.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You are absolutely correct but the media will play the DV card. The NFL would be wise to get as far ahead of it as they can. Are you under the impression there won't be any dicipline for Hunt since it was an alcohol issue?

Anyone who brings controversial press to the league in that magnitude will either get suspended or black balled. So yes I agree he will be served one way or the other. 

If suspended it will come before the draft or regular season as the NFL always places it during a period it can be swept under the rug and viewers can be distracted by something else. 

7 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

In a lot of these cases it’s all about the perception. You can say let the court decide, but often victims and witnesses are bought off. Hell even videos don’t show what led up to some incidents  Have heard there are accounts where she had something to do with escalating the situation. I am only talking about this one incident not a history. So it is all about the perception.

Many alternatives decisions could have been made by Hunt. Whatever this woman could have done, said, ect., with the exception of having a weapon drawn on him, should not have resulted in her being violently assaulted. Hunt could have decided to walk away from her, close and lock his hotel room, call the authorities, and count his money. Doesnt seem that difficult considering he's probably been called every name in the book on the football field. He did not respect himself and what he accomplished in life enough and allowed another person's "words" to destroy his career. He is a fool with major anger issues and the Jets or any NFL team should not reward him by signing him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It’s far more similar than you would like to admit 

so somehow eating meat and breeding animals in a cruel way to make them vicious enough to try to tear eachother apart for entertainment purposes, and then drowning (or killing in some other way)the ones who don't perform well enough in the fights, is kinda the same thing? i get it, the animals have to be slaughtered and aren't bred in loving conditions......still not even close to the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Many alternatives decisions could have been made by Hunt. Whatever this woman could have done, said, ect., with the exception of having a weapon drawn on him, should not have resulted in her being violently assaulted. Hunt could have decided to walk away from her, close and lock his hotel room, call the authorities, and count his money. Doesnt seem that difficult considering he's probably been called every name in the book on the football field. He did not respect himself and what he accomplished in life enough and allowed another person's "words" to destroy his career. He is a fool with major anger issues and the Jets or any NFL team should not reward him by signing him. 

I think the thing that gives me the most pause isn't even just his actions.  It's the fact that he has a 'posse' (term as described in the articles I've read) that contributed to the whole chain of events.  The issue for me is that unless he willingly separates himself from that, it seems highly unlikely anything will change for the better.   I don't know a thing about them but they certainly have no incentive to change their behavior.  We've seen this movie before.  I don't care to watch it again in a Jets uniform this time.   

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I saw your response, looked to my left........saw your Avatar pic.......... and thought yes I would too.... :) 

Oh and based on what I have seen I would be alright with Hunt joining the Jets.

Though the Jets as an organization may be shy.  Don't forget the female reporter incident and the cheerleader suit.  

Just some thoughts...

Beyond the "shy" issue does anyone really believe our "woke" owner Chris Johnson is going to take the heat in his social circle by signing Hunt?  

• Upvote 1

From NFL.com this AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011677/article/kareem-hunts-fate-likely-to-be-known-by-free-agency

Kareem Hunt's fate likely to be known by free agency
By Ian Rapoport
NFL Network Insider
Published: Jan. 20, 2019 at 05:56 a.m. 0 Likes  |  0 Comments

While his former team plays Sunday in the AFC Championship Game against the Patriots, Kareem Hunt stays away from the spotlight. The 2017 rushing leader and former Chiefs running back hasn't spoken publicly since the days after he was released and put on the Commissioner's Exempt List, quietly attempting to turn his life and career around.

Meanwhile, the NFL's investigation into three incidents involving Hunt continues. While there is no official deadline -- being thorough is the goal -- sources say the belief is the investigations will be wrapped up before the start of free agency in March. At the very least, teams considering signing him will know what they need to know before the league year opens.

Along with the assault on a female in a Cleveland area hotel from last February, there is also an apparent altercation at a club and an incident where he allegedly punched a man at a resort. The league has bundled those three offenses into one case.

Hunt has not yet spoken with NFL investigators, as that would be the final piece of the investigation. At this point, based on the fact that several teams have been keeping tabs on Hunt, touching base and doing homework on him, the likelihood is that Hunt is back in the NFL in 2019. But the belief remains that any six-plus game suspension keeps him on the sidelines to begin next season.

What's not clear is how many weeks of his stay on the exempt list will play into his looming suspension for violating the personal conduct policy. Kansas City released Hunt with five weeks remaining in the regular season.

While the Chiefs haven't missed a beat since he was cut for lying to them about the Ohio incident -- Damien Williams has averaged 5.1 yards per rush -- Hunt has gone through counseling for anger and alcohol issues.

Earlier this week, Bears coach Matt Nagy, who was Hunt's offensive coordinator in Kansas City, said he has spoken to Hunt on a personal level and did not rule out signing him for a second chance. There seem to be other teams in that category, and it's likely Hunt will get that final opportunity.