Williams and his Defensive Philosophy

jetsons

I’m honestly not expecting Williams to turn this bunch into a great defense next year because most of the players suck except for Avery Williamson, but I’m excited to have a guy come in here and provide accountability and some—dare I say—fire. Both Rex and Bowles treated the defensive personnel like they were, collectively, their children as opposed to treating them like professionals there to do a job. I think Williams changes that right away.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’m honestly not expecting Williams to turn this bunch into a great defense next year because most of the players suck except for Avery Williamson, but I’m excited to have a guy come in here and provide accountability and some—dare I say—fire. Both Rex and Bowles treated the defensive personnel like they were, collectively, their children as opposed to treating them like professionals there to do a job. I think Williams changes that right away.

There’s not one facet of the game where Rex hasn’t performed with superiority over Gregg Williams. Why are we treating him like the messiah?

Williams is going love playing with leads. The dude won't have his team sit back on their heels up 10 points! Sure, we'll have some games where his aggressive style will backfire but for the most part looking at our division, speeding up Josh Allen, Tannyhill, and the elder Brady could put us in contention for the division NEXT YEAR. He'll get more out of what he has to work with than Kacey Rogers did. If Leo is here, I doubt you see him trotting around like he did in that Buffalo game. 

I have to be honest, im really ecstatic about Williams and I do believe that we'll get alot out of the players overall with him as the DC. There are some subtle things that he does that shows an enormous amount of respect to the game and to the players. Example. 

Remember when Sean Taylor passed away? The next game on the redskins 1st defensive play they only put out 10 defensive players on the field as a tribute to Sean Taylor. You know who the DC was? Gregg Williams. That's the type of respect that he has for his players, and it directly goes to what you said about not treating them as children but as professionals there to do a job. 

But here are his subtle things that I just love about Williams. One example is in the thread's video above at the 4:30 mark. Gregg Williams talks about the heated issues between Buddy Ryan and another coach that led up to the fight on the sidelines. Yet, Gregg Williams is so caught up in his job and making sure that his group of guys are ready to play that he doesnt even realize what the hell happened, and not that he even cared. It reminded me of this video from Hard Knocks when Hue and Haley were fussing at one another. Now we know what the aftermath of that situation was. But in the moment, look at Gregg Williams. The dude is in his book the entire time. Hugh and Haley are fussing and Williams is about his business. But the best thing about this video, and again...it's subtle but powerful, AS SOON as the meeting is over Gregg Williams says "Defense, down stairs 11:15". He cares nothing about the power struggle. And look at how the season ended up and who got the Interim job. It was Williams. 

This dude is about his job and he holds his players to that same standard. I have nothing but respect for this guy and at bare minimum we're going to get the best version of the players he puts out on the field. Players truly respect these types of coaches. 

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

There’s not one facet of the game where Rex hasn’t performed with superiority over Gregg Williams. Why are we treating him like the messiah?

Agreed.  Williams should be better than Bowles and Rodgers, but that isn’t saying much.  Williams is as overrated as they come.  

“most of the players suck except Avery Williams”

PFF

Avery Williams 74.3 #18 LB
Jamal Adams 89.7 #2 Safety

Figured we haven’t had a thread turned into a Jamal topic in over 2hrs. We are slowing down.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Not too sure about that. When Rex was with the Ravens he had stacked teams and that D was already assembled prior to his arrival. When he got to the Jets he had a team that was already decent.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

“most of the players suck except Avery Williams”

PFF

Figured we haven’t had a thread turned into a Jamal topic in over 2hrs. We are slowing down.

Steve McLendon 78.5

Leonard Williams 78.2

Henry Anderson 76.5 

Of course McLendon and Anderson are FAs now so there's that.

41 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Not too sure about that. When Rex was with the Ravens he had stacked teams and that D was already assembled prior to his arrival. When he got to the Jets he had a team that was already decent.

Imagine if Jenkins didn’t retire? 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have to be honest, im really ecstatic about Williams and I do believe that we'll get alot out of the players overall with him as the DC. There are some subtle things that he does that shows an enormous amount of respect to the game and to the players. Example. 

Remember when Sean Taylor passed away? The next game on the redskins 1st defensive play they only put out 10 defensive players on the field as a tribute to Sean Taylor. You know who the DC was? Gregg Williams. That's the type of respect that he has for his players, and it directly goes to what you said about not treating them as children but as professionals there to do a job. 

But here are his subtle things that I just love about Williams. One example is in the thread's video above at the 4:30 mark. Gregg Williams talks about the heated issues between Buddy Ryan and another coach that led up to the fight on the sidelines. Yet, Gregg Williams is so caught up in his job and making sure that his group of guys are ready to play that he doesnt even realize what the hell happened, and not that he even cared. It reminded me of this video from Hard Knocks when Hue and Haley were fussing at one another. Now we know what the aftermath of that situation was. But in the moment, look at Gregg Williams. The dude is in his book the entire time. Hugh and Haley are fussing and Williams is about his business. But the best thing about this video, and again...it's subtle but powerful, AS SOON as the meeting is over Gregg Williams says "Defense, down stairs 11:15". He cares nothing about the power struggle. And look at how the season ended up and who got the Interim job. It was Williams. 

This dude is about his job and he holds his players to that same standard. I have nothing but respect for this guy and at bare minimum we're going to get the best version of the players he puts out on the field. Players truly respect these types of coaches. 

I agree with everything you said here. I like the point you made about Williams having zero interest in the little struggle that's taking place.  And it's nice to hear you stating some hopeful positives for the future I might add.  :) 

I'm hopeful but still unsure of the Impact Gase will have on Darnold and the offense as a whole. Hopeful but cautiously so. Williams on the other hand is more of a proven commodity, and while people can bring up statistics that cause concern in one area or another I'm still happy to have him. 

The immediate impact will be accountability. Add to that whatever schematic adjustments he can make prior to and during a game, but the accountability is going to be huge for our team. Guys like Adams seem to crave that and just want everyone to operate the same way. Williams' impact on Adams and hopefully Leo etc will be seen very early on. That has me excited.  

Too excited for January quite frankly.

3 hours ago, Lizard King said:

This reminds me of my favorite Rez stat of this offseason: despite all but announcing he was ready to coach again....no interviews or requests! Rex is a pariah! @JiF Come Getcha Boyyyyyyy

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Agreed.  Williams should be better than Bowles and Rodgers, but that isn’t saying much.  Williams is as overrated as they come.  

Bowles was overrated. Williams is consistently solid with his players always playing aggressive without taking plays off.  He may not be the greatest defensive mind of all time, but he is a significant upgrade and one of the best options the Jets could have hoped for. We should all be very excited to see what he can for our team. 

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree with everything you said here. I like the point you made about Williams having zero interest in the little struggle that's taking place.  And it's nice to hear you stating some hopeful positives for the future I might add.  :) 

I'm hopeful but still unsure of the Impact Gase will have on Darnold and the offense as a whole. Hopeful but cautiously so. Williams on the other hand is more of a proven commodity, and while people can bring up statistics that cause concern in one area or another I'm still happy to have him. 

The immediate impact will be accountability. Add to that whatever schematic adjustments he can make prior to and during a game, but the accountability is going to be huge for our team. Guys like Adams seem to crave that and just want everyone to operate the same way. Williams' impact on Adams and hopefully Leo etc will be seen very early on. That has me excited.  

Too excited for January quite frankly.

I agree. Im not impressed at all with the Gase hire for 2 reasons. 

#1. Even if I decide to give him credit as an offensive coordinator, he's not solely the Jets offensive coordinator. This is one of the main reasons why I didnt fully agree with the "We need an offensive minded HC". I was more on the "We need a competent HC". It's one thing to be a brilliant offensive mind, it's another to be responsible for an entire team and coaching staff. Todd Bowles couldnt do it, yet he'll probably go back to his DC position and have an awesome season under Bruce Arians, a competent HC. 

#2. Macc

This is why I agree with your point of view. Folks are hopeful but very wary of this Gase/Macc regime given that anyone could fairly easily make a legit argument on why neither should be heading this Jets organization. However, Williams is a much more credible coach. He's in a position he's been most successful in as a DC but he also has the ability as a coach to deal with dysfunction and provide some structure/order. 

I really hope that Gase is the guy and I am wrong on his ability as a coach. For once Jets fans really got the guy that they want as QB and he's young. Im not even asking SB, but I would just like to see competitive football to the point that no matter who we face I feel like the Jets have a chance to win. That's all im asking for. I want to be excited for this team again but im really not a fan of the Gase/Macc tandem. I know I've spoken mostly on Gase, given that he's been the main topic as of late, but the tandem overall I dont like because I trust Macc even less as a GM than I do Gase as a HC. 

Im just hoping that some way some how Williams has a positive impact on this coaching staff outside of just the defense. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hue was terrible. I watched a little bit of Hard Knocks and I remember this scene-- still just as cringeworthy. Cool to see Freddie Kitchens because I had no idea who that guy was at the time. 

If holding people ACCOUNTABLE on the Defense is why he's being compared to some Messiah, then direct me to the Temple!!!  IF he can get Darron Lee & TruJoh to PLAY to their fullest abilities & talent then he CAN make water into wine- MIRACLES!!

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Hue was terrible. I watched a little bit of Hard Knocks and I remember this scene-- still just as cringeworthy. Cool to see Freddie Kitchens because I had no idea who that guy was at the time. 

I used to defend him before this. I really believed that it was Sashi Brown simply blowing up the team while also letting go of expensive vets that tanked the team for years. But after watching Hardknocks as well as watching him keep guys like Chubb and Baker on the the bench when they were both clearly better showed that Just being an offensive-minded "QB whisperer" coach means nothing when you're a HC. Remember, they hired him because he was an offensive minded coach and labeled a QB whisperer because of Carson Palmer. 

But I WAS really was impressed by how Williams handled this dysfunction. It's incredible how you can say nothing yet say so much. Williams handled that situation like a "G". Go in, do your job, give zero "F's" about anything else. 

That's what we need here, let Williams lead by example. I was so tired of the dry answers by guys like Bowles when asked a simple question his answer is "I got to go look at the tape". Everytime he said that I thought to myself: "Dude, the game just ended 5 mins ago. You really cant remember what the hell just happened?". 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is shocking coming from you. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Williams is a much more credible coach. He's in a position he's been most successful in as a DC but he also has the ability as a coach to deal with dysfunction and provide some structure/order. 

it was the only reason i woulda been ok if they went mccarthy. my perception is that this structure order is needed.

4 hours ago, prime21 said:

most of the players suck except Avery Williams”

PFF

Weren't you totally shocked by this statement ?

6 hours ago, Lizard King said:

because rex was not a good head coach.  and even there, the ravens didn't lose much when rex left so it's not just about rex being a difference maker.  williams has a coaching resume just as long and jsut as successful when you consider the level of talent on the coached teams.

Archived