Williams and his Defensive Philosophy

jetsons

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. Im not impressed at all with the Gase hire for 2 reasons. 

#1. Even if I decide to give him credit as an offensive coordinator, he's not solely the Jets offensive coordinator. This is one of the main reasons why I didnt fully agree with the "We need an offensive minded HC". I was more on the "We need a competent HC". It's one thing to be a brilliant offensive mind, it's another to be responsible for an entire team and coaching staff. Todd Bowles couldnt do it, yet he'll probably go back to his DC position and have an awesome season under Bruce Arians, a competent HC. 

#2. Macc

This is why I agree with your point of view. Folks are hopeful but very wary of this Gase/Macc regime given that anyone could fairly easily make a legit argument on why neither should be heading this Jets organization. However, Williams is a much more credible coach. He's in a position he's been most successful in as a DC but he also has the ability as a coach to deal with dysfunction and provide some structure/order. 

I really hope that Gase is the guy and I am wrong on his ability as a coach. For once Jets fans really got the guy that they want as QB and he's young. Im not even asking SB, but I would just like to see competitive football to the point that no matter who we face I feel like the Jets have a chance to win. That's all im asking for. I want to be excited for this team again but im really not a fan of the Gase/Macc tandem. I know I've spoken mostly on Gase, given that he's been the main topic as of late, but the tandem overall I dont like because I trust Macc even less as a GM than I do Gase as a HC. 

Im just hoping that some way some how Williams has a positive impact on this coaching staff outside of just the defense. 

I have similar concerns. I'm less critical of Macc than most due to what I see as actual progress. I believe in staying the course when progress can be identified. That's just to mention it to support why I'm optimistic overall. Not to reopen the anti Macc vs. Greenbean debate. I have zero issue with seeing the other point of view and why people feel and see it they way they do with Macc. In reality I agree with a lot of it. I'd have to be blind not to. 

The Gase stuff you mentioned is why I was so into a guy like McCarthy getting the job and why I would have hated someone like KK, Richard or even Monken. I liked the idea of offensive minded, but the big one was NFL HC experience for me.  Gase is somewhere in the middle of the aforementioned as I see it. 

One thing I really can hang my hat on though is that Gase was an actual NFL HC for three years. That is a positive. That whole learning on the job piece is not going to be something we have to endure for once. Not to say he's not going to make mistakes of course, but three full seasons as the leader is invaluable. My hope is that he takes what he learned and can now avoid the rookie head scratchers and coach the friggin team. It will be interesting to see how he does as the HC with his focus admittedly being on Offense. 

Getting back to Williams, I agree with you. As long as the egos can be kept in check I see William's experience as something that can help to keep the ship from going too far off course. That's a big IF and I hope they can pull it off.  The impact on the players should be immediate and easily identifiable. His impact on the organization as a whole may just be one of the stronger aspects of what the braintrust of CJ and Macc have pulled together this offseason.  It will be fun to watch... at least for a little while.  

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I used to defend him before this. I really believed that it was Sashi Brown simply blowing up the team while also letting go of expensive vets that tanked the team for years. But after watching Hardknocks as well as watching him keep guys like Chubb and Baker on the the bench when they were both clearly better showed that Just being an offensive-minded "QB whisperer" coach means nothing when you're a HC. Remember, they hired him because he was an offensive minded coach and labeled a QB whisperer because of Carson Palmer. 

But I WAS really was impressed by how Williams handled this dysfunction. It's incredible how you can say nothing yet say so much. Williams handled that situation like a "G". Go in, do your job, give zero "F's" about anything else. 

That's what we need here, let Williams lead by example. I was so tired of the dry answers by guys like Bowles when asked a simple question his answer is "I got to go look at the tape". Everytime he said that I thought to myself: "Dude, the game just ended 5 mins ago. You really cant remember what the hell just happened?". 

Just like Williams' "D" Will Play.

I Never had a problem with how Bowles responded to the media ...imo Bowles response to the media was more of a "I could care less about you & I will give you a minimal response everytime"… which by how the media normally distorts their reporting I can understand.

7 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Not a flattering video for the former coach and it's no surprise he's gone.

That video of Hue is just SOOOOOOO cringeworthy. How anyone can think that buffoon can be a head coach..wow. Bowles was horrible but that was sub Bowles

Archived