Why no OC announcement yet?

Chris & Woody's Butler

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the only thing that matters is won-lost followed by points for and points against.  the rest are fools gold.

True. And no other team in nfl history made it to back to back championships with one of the leagues worst qb.. if we had farve in 09 we likely win it all?

He’s patiently waiting for Loggains. Loggains is supposedly good at game planning but bad at play calling. Considering Gase is calling the plays, I don’t mind the hire. The messaging to Darnold will be consistent.

So, the offensive braintrust is going to be Gase, Loggains, Dorrell, and Pollack. 

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the only thing that matters is won-lost followed by points for and points against.  the rest are fools gold.

Well yeah, if you're evaluating overall team performance.

But Mark Sanchez' butt fumble was counted against the defense by that metric. Are you going to blame the defense because Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith keep throwing pick sixes and fumbling away games?

Example, 2011 the Jets Ravens game the Jets lost 34-17. The Ravens defense scored three touchdowns -- two fumbles to the house and a pick six. The Jets defense allowed 13 points and had a pick six themselves -- they essentially allowed 6 net points. 

Here the fools gold would be points against, since the Mark Sanchez was the one allowing so many points and the Jets defense played pretty well.

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well yeah, if you're evaluating overall team performance.

But Mark Sanchez' butt fumble was counted against the defense by that metric. Are you going to blame the defense because Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith keep throwing pick sixes and fumbling away games?

Example, 2011 the Jets Ravens game the Jets lost 34-17. The Ravens defense scored three touchdowns -- two fumbles to the house and a pick six. The Jets defense allowed 13 points and had a pick six themselves -- they essentially allowed 6 net points. 

Here the fools gold would be points against, since the Mark Sanchez was the one allowing so many points and the Jets defense played pretty well.

Great game! The Jets scored 17 points despite a pick 6, a kick return TD and starting in Ravens territory at least 3 times.  At one point the Jets recovered a fumble inside the Ravens 30 and Sanchez immediately throws a pick 6.  I sure wish the Jets had properly developed him!

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Great game! The Jets scored 17 points despite a pick 6, a kick return TD and starting in Ravens territory at least 3 times.  At one point the Jets recovered a fumble inside the Ravens 30 and Sanchez immediately throws a pick 6.  I sure wish the Jets had properly developed him!

It was on Sunday Night Football and is definitely on the short list for most embarrassing Jets primetime games of all time. Probably not as bad as the butt fumble Thanksgiving game, but it was an awful performance.

My best guess is Gase is waiting on Loggains. Gase is comfortable running the offense with Loggains in a non-competitive roll as OC. I don’t think he wants to be butting heads with a new OC that wants to play a more active role of owning the offense. I don’t even know if Loggains is on the sidelines. He may be in the booth playing a consultative role rather than calling the shots.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but the Arizona Cardinals aren't even going to hire an Offensive Coordinator.  They have no plans to put someone in that position.  They are hiring Tom Clements as a "Passing Game Coordinator" which will be the most senior position on the offensive coaching staff.  The show on offense will be run by Kliff Kingsbury.  Perhaps a similar approach here with our Jets?  I mean, Gase is already planning to call all the plays, does he really need a coordinator?  He may just need functional coaches to handle positional groups and then coordinate the run and pass game.  The NFL is changing....I wouldn't be surprised if the composition of coaching staffs does as well.

NFL Rumors: Dowell Loggains to Become Jets OC After Dolphins Grant Permission

KYLE NEWPORTJANUARY 22, 2019

Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains watches at the NFL football team's training camp, Friday, July 27, 2018, in Davie, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)
Lynne Sladky/Associated Press

The Miami Dolphins have granted offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains permission to speak to other teams around the league to explore potential opportunities, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Rapoport noted Loggains is expected to become the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets, where he would reunite with the newly hired Adam Gase. Loggains was Gase's offensive coordinator in Miami in 2018, and the two were also on the Chicago Bears coaching staff together in 2015.

Loggains has more than a decade's worth of coaching experience in the NFL. He was a scouting assistant for the Dallas Cowboys back in 2005 and has served as the offensive coordinator for three teams Tennessee, Chicago and Miami.

In Loggains' first season in South Beach, the Dolphins ranked 31st in yards, 30th in passing, 18th in rushing and 26th in scoring.

The overall numbers may not have Jets fans eager to add Loggains to the coaching staff, but it's important to note Miami's starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill (shoulder) was limited to just 11 games, leaving backup Brock Osweiler to make five starts.

Even with an injury at the quarterback position, the Dolphins managed to hang in the AFC playoff picture for much of the season. They ultimately fell short of the postseason, however, by finishing 7-9.

A Loggains hire would just be the latest addition to New York's coaching staff. Last week, the Jets hired former Cleveland Browns interim head coach Gregg Williams as their defensive coordinator.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The Miami Dolphins are considering a move to give Dagwood McStuffins the opportunity to interview with other teams. Word is that he will sign to be the Offensive Coordinator for our very own New York Jets.  Expect an announcement any time soon.

Dagwood Bumstead? 

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Adam Gase is hiring a puppet as an oc.  Someone who will get him coffee when he needs it.

Darrell Loggins was that guy in miami.  Im sure he will be here soon.

Loggains works with the offense to install and help execute Gase's plays.  He is Gase's right hand man in managing the offense.  Gase is not bringing in someone else who is not as well versed in his offense.   Common sense.

7 hours ago, kelly said:

5 offensive coordinator candidates the Jets should consider            https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/20/offensive-coordinator-candidates-jets-should-consider-dowell-loggains-todd-haley/ via @thejetswire 

what is it you don't get?  The offense is Gase.  He needs a person to implement HIS offense.  Loggains has been that person.  

On 1/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

They're probably just waiting for the Seahawks to set schotty free.

He singlehandedly was the reason the Seahawks lost that playoff game.  He couldn't get away from the Run even when it wasn't working.  I understand the whole "do what got you there" and nobody rushed more than Seattle this year, but it wasn't going anywhere against Dallas.  He needed to pivot to Wilson and let the magic happen.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He singlehandedly was the reason the Seahawks lost that playoff game.  He couldn't get away from the Run even when it wasn't working.  I understand the whole "do what got you there" and nobody rushed more than Seattle this year, but it wasn't going anywhere against Dallas.  He needed to pivot to Wilson and let the magic happen.

The words Brian Schottenheimer and pivot do not belong in the same sentence together.  

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I really never thought anyone would have taken that seriously. 

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Why should we be surprised.  We saw him to that to our team for the better part of his last three years. Stubbornly. 

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I really never thought anyone would have taken that seriously. 

I didn't, but I couldn't resist pointing out how a guy dragged the Ground and Pound philosophy with him to a team with a capable QB and couldn't move away from it even as the strategy melted right in front of his eyes.

Archived