Imagine being a Boston sports fan

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol no kidding. 

The "fun fact" is he hadn't had to be in a playoff game without Brady since 1994; the stat is hardly indicative of anything other than short-lived Jets fan pleasure that an 11-5 season once meant no division title and no wildcard (though having it go to Miami was no better). 11-5 with a 7th round backup QB who hadn't started a game since 8 years prior - in freaking high school - and were arguably an OT coin toss (never mind a full offseason of Cassel-starting preparation) away from another 12-win season anyway. But yeah without one player he's Al Groh. 

We've obviously had the right men in charge and all over the field, and are fortunate things went just the way they did post-Parcells. ;) 

7 seasons without Brady:

5 losing seasons

1 playoff app(WC)

1 home playoff win in WC Rd

Over 10 games under .500

He had the following QBs:

Bennie kosar- Bernie made 3 conf title games without BB

Vinny- made WC with BB, made championship game and won div title with Parcells

Bledsoe- 5-13 with BB, made SB with Parcells

Cassell- missed playoffs with BB (after inheriting undefeated team), led KC to division title

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

7 seasons without Brady:

5 losing seasons

1 playoff app(WC)

1 home playoff win in WC Rd

Over 10 games under .500

He had the following QBs:

Bennie kosar- Bernie made 3 conf title games without BB

Bledsoe- 5-13 with BB, made SB with Parcells

Cassell- missed playoffs with BB (after inheriting undefeated team), led KC to division title

Lol ok he's nothing because you want to isolate numbers without context. 

Mark Sanchez really was a great QB, too. Herm Edwards was a really good HC. All of it. Lol. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Must be nice.....

1968-1970.  I'm 9-11 years old in that span and witness:

January, 1969: Superbowl 3-Joe Namath.  'nuff said

October, 1969:  NY Mets win the world series in 5 games against Orioles who were supposed to sweep.  Tom Seaver, my hero.  

May 1970:  NY Knicks defeat LA LAkers for New York's 1st NBA title (to be repeated in a few years).  Willis Reed and Cassie Russell live 2 blocks away from me in a couple of apartments in what was then called Park City in Rego Park (a block or two from Alexander's).  

Being a kid growing up in Queens, NYC is sports heaven!  Or so I thought.  But the marriage to these 3 teams was a done deal and there is no divorce court in the world of fandom.   

nearly 50 years later.....  

In the words of David Byrne from the Talking Heads:  "My God, What have I Done?"

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

1968-1970.  I'm 9-11 years old in that span and witness:

January, 1969: Superbowl 3-Joe Namath.  'nuff said

October, 1969:  NY Mets win the world series in 5 games angainst Orioles who were supposed to sweep.  Tom Seaver, my hero.  

May 1970:  NY Knicks defeat LA LAkers for New York's 1st NBA title (to be repeated in a few years). 

Being a kid growing up in NYC is sports heaven!  Or so I thought.  But the marriage to these 3 teams was a done deal and there is no divorce court in the world of fandom.   

I am the same age as you, and I repeat what you just said all the time. I thought it would go on forever. This is a great post!

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I am the same age as you, and I repeat what you just said all the time. I thought it would go on forever. This is a great post!

I edited and added a couple of details.  In 1973 the knicks win another Championship and I also loved watching Julius Irving with that huge afro and the red, white and blue ball over at the Nassau Coliseum, who then won their 1st ABA championship.    

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, but you have to live in Boston. 

Most of their fan base doesn’t. Huge portion of the city is comprised of people from around the world here for career purposes. Lots of band wagoners, but it’s in  The suburbs where you find their most idiotic and ignorant fans... and they’re all still miserable.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Most of their fan base doesn’t. Huge portion of the city is comprised of people from around the world here for career purposes. Lots of band wagoners, but it’s in  The suburbs where you find their most idiotic and ignorant fans... and they’re all still miserable.

The topic says Boston Sports fan. It doesn't say N.E. sports fan, Ma., sports fan, or any other location. I would think he was talking about soneone who lives in Boston who is a sports fan. A lot of Giants fans live in NJ but you netter not call them NY sports fans. I know a lot of them and it drives them nuts they root for a team that says NY on its  helmets but NJ and NY college teams all suck and there is no NJ pro team. They quietly call them NJ Giants

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The topic says Boston Sports fan. It doesn't say N.E. sports fan, Ma., sports fan, or any other location. I would think he was talking about soneone who lives in Boston who is a sports fan. A lot of Giants fans live in NJ but you netter not call them NY sports fans. I know a lot of them and it drives them nuts they root for a team that says NY on its  helmets but NJ and NY college teams all suck and there is no NJ pro team. They quietly call them NJ Giants

Pretty much. Its such a baseless statement saying boston's fanbase is made up  of bandwagoners...when plenty have stuck with the pats since they threaten to move to Connecticut. Bruins, Redsox and Celtics fandom here in this town is unmatched. That's why some free agents come here. Cause the passions the fans have for their team....its always been based off of that blue collar mentality

But yea lets chat it up with like five random people from boston and claim that is the whole fan base. Good strategy. 

25 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Brady doesn’t have a winning record without BB either 

Brady hasn't played without BB but BB has coached without Brady and was a failure without him.

We do, however, have info on other QBs with and without BB:

Bernie kosar- 3 AFC title games without, 11-18 with BB

Vinny: made WC playoff app with BB.  Won division and made AFC title game without BB

Bledsoe: made SB without, 5-13 with. Bledsoe had 93-82 record with all other coaches.

Cassell- went 10-5 and missed playoffs with BB after team was undefeated a year earlier (against tougher sched), led KC to division title

29 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Pretty much. Its such a baseless statement saying boston's fanbase is made up  of bandwagoners...when plenty have stuck with the pats since they threaten to move to Connecticut. Bruins, Redsox and Celtics fandom here in this town is unmatched. That's why some free agents come here. Cause the passions the fans have for their team....its always been based off of that blue collar mentality

But yea lets chat it up with like five random people from boston and claim that is the whole fan base. Good strategy. 

Honestly, I don't  get the last part but maybe it's  because I don't  live in Boston. I visted Boston many times on business and i don't  think i have ever been in a more boring city which was the point of my post. Ma. Is a nice state, I will say that. Very scenic

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brady hasn't played without BB but BB has coached without Brady and was a failure without him.

We do, however, have info on other QBs with and without BB:

Bernie kosar- 3 AFC title games without, 11-18 with BB

Vinny: made WC playoff app with BB.  Won division and made AFC title game without BB

Bledsoe: made SB without, 5-13 with. Bledsoe had 93-82 record with all other coaches.

Cassell- went 10-5 and missed playoffs with BB after team was undefeated a year earlier (against tougher sched), led KC to division title

So....Brady doesn’t have a winning record without BB?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, I don't  get the last part but maybe it's  because I don't  live in Boston. I visted Boston many times on business and i don't  think i have ever been in a more boring city which was the point of my post. Ma. Is a nice state, I will say that. Very scenic

Well not every city is for everyone. That all comes down to personal preference.

But go to a sports bar or a sporting event there and you will get my point.

6 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Well not every city is for everyone. That all comes down to personal preference.

But go to a sports bar or a sporting event there and you will get my point.

Went to a Red Sox game where they booed Roger Clemens. Was that your point? That they can't  recognize greatness?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Went to a Red Sox game where they booed Roger Clemens. Was that your point? That they can't  recognize greatness?

so is that the same when BB comes to play the jets and he gets booed because he left the jets? Or when Revis played for the pats and how much he was hated here than loved again when he came back..or nah?

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fun fact: last time BB won a playoff game without Brady was 1994

BB without Brady is Al Groh

When he went for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG and got stuffed, all I could think was I hope they lose by a FG.  Bad call and they still won. 

that bogus roughing on Brady penalty was almost as bad as the non call PI in the Saints Rams game

1 hour ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

so is that the same when BB comes to play the jets and he gets booed because he left the jets? Or when Revis played for the pats and how much he was hated here than loved again when he came back..or nah?

Clemens was a member of the Red Sox. That is totally different from everything you described. 

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

BB WAS on that Coaching Staff as DC from '97-'99, so Vinny's 1998 accolades would fall under the Belly domain.

Could one argue that Vinny had a good year b/c BBelly's #2 overall ranked defense gave Vinny & the Jets great field position?

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I went to school up there JUST as it was starting to turn in their favor. Brady won it my senior year and I still recall the MASSIVE gathering on Harvard & Brighton Ave outside of Blanchard's Liquor Super Store and people jumping on buses and cars while burning all the plastic The Daily Phoenix bins until they melted into liquid onto the asphalt. It was bedlam and the mob chants went from Go Pats to U-S-A (9/11 was that year) to finally LOOT BLANCHARDS! THAT"S WHEN the cops finally decided to put an effort to corral the chaos: a liquor store looting is prohibited while everything IN SITE was being burned to the ground, but that's OK,  b/c the "Pats WON the SB" :roll:

Friggin ANIMALS UP THERE!!!! I graduated in 3 years to get the HELL out of there and come back to NYC. 

I started school there when the Mets beat the Sox in 1986. Being a Mets fan it was great, but at that time the Boston baseball fans had a truly defeatest attitude. They felt it was destiny for the Sox to break their hearts in the most grandest of ways, and held no ill will for Met fans.

And, as far as they were concerned, the Pats were destined for mediocrity even after serving as the sacrificial lamb for the Bears SB win. We would all laugh and cry about how our football teams were too stupid to pick Dan Marino , and ended up with Eason and O'Brien. I find it weird that the very same people are now in my face when their dynastic Pats beat my 4-12 Jets.  The honest one's among them candidly admit that the party is almost over and they expect to return to form after Brady and BB retire (which they think will happen together).

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I started school there when the Mets beat the Sox in 1986. Being a Mets fan it was great, but at that time the Boston baseball fans had a truly defeatest attitude. They felt it was destiny for the Sox to break their hearts in the most grandest of ways, and held no ill will for Met fans.

YUP! :D

it was GREAT to be a Yankee fan in Boston back then. They were more confident when I was there as the Sox did improve (SS - Nomaaaaaaahh, P -Paaydrow MaaahhTniz, 1B - Daaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhbaaahk, C - Varitek & P-  Wakefield, always loved hearing the names pronounced up there) but they KNEW, that in the end, NY would prevail and Boston would be CRUSHED. IT WAS GREAT! So much fun! Definitely compensated and soothed the sports fan ego after being a Jets fan in NYC surrounded by moronic Giants fans

2 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

you can't be serious. Its exactly the same, the same context, in fact please explain how it's different. I actually wanna hear this one?

When BB comes to the play the Jets in NJ, he's not on the Jets. Nobody is booing him because he was a Jet, they are booing him because he's a Pat. And to be totally honest, when he left the Jets, nobody cared. We all thought he was crazy scribbling I Resign on a napkin.  He was a losing HC from the Browns and he was losing with Bledsoe. We were actually happy he left after seeing how bad the Pats were under him before Mo Lewis knocked Bledose out. 

And nobody here hated Revis. He had to go and reasonable Jet fans understood. But now that you bring Revis up, do you care to explain how the Pats signed him within hours of him becoming a FA? Can you say tampering? And who the Hell loved him when he came back? He sucked and we were spending fortune on him. It was possibly the single worst FA signing in the teams history. 

That is how booing Roger Clemens who was a productive member of the Red Sox and had a productive career after he left the Red Sox is different than what you described.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

BB WAS on that Coaching Staff as DC from '97-'99, so Vinny's 1998 accolades would fall under the Belly domain.

Could one argue that Vinny had a good year b/c BBelly's #2 overall ranked defense gave Vinny & the Jets great field position?

How so? He was the DC, he had nothing to do with Vinny's success.

The ranking was misleading(and they were ranked 7th that yr) we won because the offense was great with Vinny.  

And in the championship game that D blew a 10 pt second half lead, a belichick tradition for his D's in big games

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Ehhhhhhhh. Okay?

• Haha 1

If Belichick doesn’t have Brady fall in his lap he gets fired by 2003 and is now a DC somewhere
I believe bb is the driving force behind the patriots success. Brady helps but the team is good with or without him. Every time a qb comes in and plays in Brady's place they always seem to do good. Bb brings absolute discipline to that franchise to a point where even good players are afraid to mess up or not give 110 percent effort.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Please list any free agents who have come to Boston because the fandom there is unmatched as is the passion the fans have for their team....  Free Agents sign for  a few reasons, principally money, winning franchises, "going home", weather,  and perhaps lifestyle.  I have  never heard a free agent citing his "burning desire to play for a particular franchise based on fans' passion for the team.  Give me a break.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Nah...Boston winters and the people generally suck 

Generally? Its a city with no culture whatsoever, other than one of dooshiness and petty jealousness of real cities like New York. They actually take pride in it. Getting drunk and fighting is a right of passage for boys. Being a bitch is how the girls relate to each other. And no matter what sex you are, be as racist and homophobic as you possibly can be, and you get to be a real Bostonian.