Jump to content
johnnysd

Bizzaro Jets: EVERYTHING is different

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Disagree with you, but not completely.  Ground an Pound as the Dominant Offensive Philosophy of a football team is indeed dead.  Teams that want to run the ball 60% of the time as an offense are simply not going to be successful.  The days of the 12+ play scoring drive dominating football are long gone.  Quick strike, passing offenses, with run mixed in are the present and future of this league due to player makeup, rule changes and design.  Ground and Pound  as a tool for shortening the game and  controlling the ball with a lead is effective and will always be a part of the game.

Agree to disagree then. However, it's common knowledge that a ground and pound offense can be so dominating that they:

1) By the time the opposing offense gets the ball back their offense if off balance, out of sync because they've been waiting on the sidelines for far too long.

2) As a huge benefit of the ground and pound it is obviously time consuming. There won't be a whole lot of time for those opposing offenses to score when they get the ball back.

It is in particular an invaluable tool when it comes to games where strong winds prevent frequent passes. A strong running game is the key to winning December games.

Now as I already mentioned, it doesn't make sense to run the ball 60% of the time when you have a valuable, young , talented QB. But it still a very useful approach to winning football games.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

now all we need is mac to come through and have a great draft and pick up key free agents.

You are quite the optimist or maybe you need to see an optometrist. 🤓

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Not me buddy, I broke that mold especially after dumb move expecting different result.  I'm going in expecting the usual Jets sh*t so that I dont get disappointed. 

Wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Agree to disagree then. However, it's common knowledge that a ground and pound offense can be so dominating that they:

1) By the time the opposing offense gets the ball back their offense if off balance, out of sync because they've been waiting on the sidelines for far too long.

2) As a huge benefit of the ground and pound it is obviously time consuming. There won't be a whole lot of time for those opposing offenses to score when they get the ball back.

It is in particular an invaluable tool when it comes to games where strong winds prevent frequent passes. A strong running game is the key to winning December games.

Now as I already mentioned, it doesn't make sense to run the ball 60% of the time when you have a valuable, young , talented QB. But it still a very useful approach to winning football games.

True. But the ability to gain chunk plays that move the ball 50+ yards is also valuable, especially for December dome games. It would be nice to have the ability to do both by having a field-stretching WR, AND a dominant running attack!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really didn't know how to feel about the Gase hire - and to be honest, he was not my first choice. that being said, I'm still on the fence about it - but, I'm willing to take the wait & see approach.

I'm honestly more excited about the hire of Gregg Williams as our DC; I always liked his coaching style and I'm looking forward to him weeding out some of the under-achievers from our defense.

We finally have a DC with some balls whose not afraid to blitz and can make effective in-game adjustments.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

I really didn't know how to feel about the Gase hire - and to be honest, he was not my first choice. that being said, I'm still on the fence about it - but, I'm willing to take the wait & see approach.

I'm honestly more excited about the hire of Gregg Williams as our DC; I always liked his coaching style and I'm looking forward to him weeding out some of the under-achievers from our defense.

We finally have a DC with some balls whose not afraid to blitz and can make effective in-game adjustments.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Agree to disagree then. However, it's common knowledge that a ground and pound offense can be so dominating that they:

1) By the time the opposing offense gets the ball back their offense if off balance, out of sync because they've been waiting on the sidelines for far too long.

2) As a huge benefit of the ground and pound it is obviously time consuming. There won't be a whole lot of time for those opposing offenses to score when they get the ball back.

It is in particular an invaluable tool when it comes to games where strong winds prevent frequent passes. A strong running game is the key to winning December games.

Now as I already mentioned, it doesn't make sense to run the ball 60% of the time when you have a valuable, young , talented QB. But it still a very useful approach to winning football games.

The funny thing is you are not disagreeing with me.  The Seattle Seahawks led the league in running % this year at 52%.  The only other two offenses above 48% were the Ravens and Titans.  Even at those percentages of run vs. pass, this is hardly "Ground and Pound".   No other team was above 46%.  Most teams were in the high 30's to low 40's. That is three teams out of 32. Even ten percent is not a trend nor is it a representation that  a predominant "Ground and Pound" Offensive Philosophy is fitting in today's NFL. It is, as I said,and you reiterated, a useful tool for killing clock and game control with a lead. Check my post.  My first line was that I didn't disagree with you completely.  If you read it again, and consider this reply then you will see that we are not that far apart and my representation is accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Wish I was young. I vividly remember Joe Namath winning the Super Bowl. I was actually a Namath fan first and then sort of just stuck with the Jets since.

Geez....talk about falling into a f**king 40 year trap! :P

You just sort of took the Jets as your team.....kinda like a person winning a ticket for a cruise on the Titanic.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Geez....talk about falling into a f**king 40 year trap! :P

You just sort of took the Jets as your team.....kinda like a person winning a ticket for a cruise on the Titanic.

 

No, with the Titanic the misery would have been over after the first year.  The Jets are more like Groundhog Day.  Wake up the day after the season ends expecting the next season to be better, then BOOM...Same Old Jets hits you right in the face as soon as the new season starts...

But, I'll still keep coming back, after almost 50 years, and root for my team.  Definition of insanity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey everyone it's the Bizarro Jets:  everything is going to be different, I can feel it!  

*Narrator* It wasn't. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 3:47 PM, 14 in Green said:

I feel EXACTLY the same way. The inclusion of so many potentially combustible parts to this coaching staff gives it a boom or bust feel. I'm ok with that though, considering what we had the last few years. Its worth taking a big chance here, what have we got to lose? The thing I'm concerned with more is the number of holes we need to fill at vital positions. Its a big ask to expect any GM to get it all fixed in a year, especially when the person responsible for the mess is the one we're asking to fix it.

So in your opinion is MM calling the shots here if he's responsible for the mess? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Same guy’s picking the players though, right

Yes, but 50% will be replaced!  Year 5, we will finally be rid of the albatross(es) left by Idzik and Tannenbaum.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So in your opinion is MM calling the shots here if he's responsible for the mess? 

Yes, I think he still is calling them. There's a chance he can pull this off though and get us to a more respectable level. Last years draft was pretty good, but we need an awful lot of things to go right this offseason.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes, I think he still is calling them. There's a chance he can pull this off though and get us to a more respectable level. Last years draft was pretty good, but we need an awful lot of things to go right this offseason.

In my opinion (no link) I think MM has a very short leash insofar as his responsibilities and what he does and doesn't do. 

Adam Gase,Gregg Williams and the Johnson brothers I think have more input in the daily operations,free agents and draft day selections. 

But i'm an outsider just a fan with an opinion. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

fromage

frottage...  are we doing word association?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

True. But the ability to gain chunk plays that move the ball 50+ yards is also valuable, especially for December dome games. It would be nice to have the ability to do both by having a field-stretching WR, AND a dominant running attack!

That's exactly my point. I was defending the ground and pound as a viable to offense, but not for us. We just need to have that ability if the need arises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes, I think he still is calling them. There's a chance he can pull this off though and get us to a more respectable level. Last years draft was pretty good, but we need an awful lot of things to go right this offseason.

Pretty good?  I am still optimistic, but Darnold did not light the world on fire.  Shephard played 30% of the snaps and did not stand out.  Herndon was a nice pickup, but 500 yard receiving is not earth shattering.  Cannon had 3 ypc.  Nickerson played 20 % of the snaps, but only 4 came after week 7.  Hardly improving as time went on.  Fatukasi played 3 snaps.  I am not going to bag on this draft class, but I don't see why we should act like there is the expectation that guys like Nickerson, Shepherd, and Fatukasi  will be viable players.  In past years we have done that will Mauldin, Burris, Stewart and Hansen and none are on the team.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets current roster outside of 2 guys is simply mediocre to bad.  Despite the third overall and a boatload of money we’re basically starting over with a franchise QB in place and a clear lead dawg on defense. Those are two HUGE must haves that do make this time in Jets history feel unique.

just knowing you have a FQB Locke’s down for the next 10-15 years changes so much. No more searching for an identity or leader. No more endless resources pouring into the position- it’s actually mind boggling all the picks and cap room that have been flushed down the toilet that can now be used to build the roster around Sam and his strengths.

A second for Hack

second for geno

4th for Petty

12 mill to fitz

10 mill to mccown

a top 5 pick for Sanchez

etc. Now it is set and high caliber and will be a magnet for good players to want to come to New York where their profile can be elevated by Sam and the market.

again- this roster is bad but there’s a different kind of hope now that we have a QB

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David Harris said:

The Jets current roster outside of 2 guys is simply mediocre to bad.  Despite the third overall and a boatload of money we’re basically starting over with a franchise QB in place and a clear lead dawg on defense. Those are two HUGE must haves that do make this time in Jets history feel unique.

just knowing you have a FQB Locke’s down for the next 10-15 years changes so much. No more searching for an identity or leader. No more endless resources pouring into the position- it’s actually mind boggling all the picks and cap room that have been flushed down the toilet that can now be used to build the roster around Sam and his strengths.

A second for Hack

second for geno

4th for Petty

12 mill to fitz

10 mill to mccown

a top 5 pick for Sanchez

etc. Now it is set and high caliber and will be a magnet for good players to want to come to New York where their profile can be elevated by Sam and the market.

again- this roster is bad but there’s a different kind of hope now that we have a QB

This is why I can't understand the pessimism by some Jet fans. Sure, 50 seasons have passed but when have we entered a season with a 22 year old phenom? Jet fans on the one hand will tell you, the entire team stinks! And then give no credit to the youngest QB to ever start in the NFL. This kid played a few games without his 2 starting WRs & a rookie TE! Lol! When's the last time you saw that? 

Parcells won games with Vinnie throwing to Dedrick Ward. Sam Darnold was like a different QB after sitting for 4 games. I can only imagine an entire offseason, his 2nd training camp taking all of the 1st string reps, surrounded by a complete offense with some added pieces on the Oline & at the skill positions. 

QB? Check, Offensive coach? Check, DC? Check, Cap space? Check, High draft picks? Check. There hasn't been 1 offseason with this much going in the Jets favor since 1998. 2011 was fools gold with Sanchez who has proven to be nothing more than a journeyman backup. Sams the real deal, Gase has had success coaching the mediocre Tannyhill & winning in the division, Gregg Williams has gobs of experience, and even he wouldn't hire Kacey Rogers. What else are Jet fans looking for for a bit of optimism?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...