Recency Bias

playtowinthegame

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

Cowherd was using facts about the game, not revising history, or  changing the subject.

That's not what I said or what I meant.  I feel like he may have "perused" the game film to help his point.  The call not made was blatant and obvious, the other call was simply not noticed or it surely would have been called.  The other "topics" were tongue in cheek, lighten up.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The call not made was blatant and obvious, the other call was simply not noticed or it surely would have been called.  The other "topics" were tongue in cheek, lighten up.

First off you're wrong about the Goff facemask. It was a blatant face mask causing his helmet to turn. It was noticeable and should have called. Secondly, why are you telling me to lighten up? I'm not upset with you or personally attacking you. 

41 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Rams were the better team that day, and the better team is going to the Super Bowl. I think the Rams defense is going to dominate the Patriots. I would love for LIII to be the first Super Bowl that Brady and Belichick get embarrassed in all three phases.

The Rams were not the better team yesterday, they were the more fortunate team.

28 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

First off you're wrong about the Goff facemask. It was a blatant face mask causing his helmet to turn. It was noticeable and should have called. Secondly, why are you telling me to lighten up? I'm not upset with you or personally attacking you. 

That's good.  I'm not upset with you either. I just think that they missed it.  I know you're passionate about this subject.  I saw the back and forth between you and others on the thread yesterday.  Didn't want to go there with you today on this is all.

38 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Were the Saints fortunate when the Goff facemask wasn't called? 

Yes but not as much Rams on the PI call.  However, that missed call was worse than the helmet to helmet tackles and the hands to the face of QB that they didn’t call on the Rams.  So, again, “the more fortunate team”.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes but not as much Rams on the PI call.  However, that missed call was worse than the helmet to helmet tackles and the hands to the face of QB that they didn’t call on the Rams.  So, again, “the more fortunate team”.

Kinda like getting mod killed in mafia.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Were the Saints fortunate when the Goff facemask wasn't called? 

LOL. I like Colin, too. But I don't suck his dick and then pretend what he said was my idea. Wow. There are penalties that could be called on every play. The "facemask" was unintentional, incidental contact, and they were still inside the 5 either way. Tough not to get a first and goal, but not a game altering play. And I'll even argue that it was a fair tradeoff for the Saints losing their TE to a blatant helmet to helmet hit that resulted in Concussion Protocol for Hill (maybe Col forgot that one...) 

On the primary call in question, The Rams defender chucked a receiver to the ground in the open field without even looking for the ball (while it was in the air). Blatantly. In the open. Impossible to miss. It was an EXTREME example of Pass Interference. The DB even said postgame he thought it would be flagged.  And it changed the game completely. 

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. I like Colin, too. But I don't suck his dick and then pretend what he said was my idea. Wow. There are penalties that could be called on every play. The "facemask" was unintentional, incidental contact, and they were still inside the 5 either way. Tough not to get a first and goal, but not a game altering play. And I'll even argue that it was a fair tradeoff for the Saints losing their TE to a blatant helmet to helmet hit that resulted in Concussion Protocol for Hill (maybe Col forgot that one...) 

On the primary call in question, The Rams defender chucked a receiver to the ground in the open field without even looking for the ball (while it was in the air). Blatantly. In the open. Impossible to miss. It was an EXTREME example of Pass Interference. The DB even said postgame he thought it would be flagged.  And it changed the game completely. 

How do you know that? They kicked a FG, the penalty could have led to a TD instead.

Where do you draw the line on "game altering"?

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

35 yards?? :confused:

Stop being pedantic. Whatever the yardage was.....that call almost certainly cost the Saints the game, and was as blatant a PI as has ever existed. It is a FACT that the horrible, worstest, most bad incidental facemask  to Goff did NOT cost them that game. Because they won. Add it to losing their starting TE for the game to a helmet to helmet hit that wasn't called and I will definitively say the Saints got ****ed yesterday. 

NoFlag.gif.a6feb41b40bbe31955f1033160ac5748.gif

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Admit it, you're reaching. Bottom line the better team won. 

27 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. I like Colin, too. But I don't suck his dick and then pretend what he said was my idea. Wow

How am I pretending what he said is my idea? Go look at my post history on this subject. I've been very consistent on this subject. Cowherd and I merely have the same opinion the Rams were the better team that day.

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I agree with Cowherd. 

I agree that the blown call is being made into something bigger than it is because it was missed just before the end of the game. But this call literally sends the Saints right then and there to the Super Bowl. The missed call on Goff is not blatent. It was an accidental facemask and doesn't change the outcome of the game. Cowherd is ASSUMING that the Rams score a TD and that makes the difference. But it only puts them first and goal at the 1. The Saints CAN make a goal line stand and still be in the same situation. This blown call couldn't have been more game changing and it was missed. 

TL:DR Cowherd is comparing apples to Oranges with these calls. Even with Recency bias taken into account. 

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Stop being pedantic. Whatever the yardage was.....that call almost certainly cost the Saints the game, and was as blatant a PI as has ever existed. It is a FACT that the horrible, worstest, most bad incidental facemask  to Goff did NOT cost them that game. Because they won. Add it to losing their starting TE for the game to a helmet to helmet hit that wasn't called and I will definitively say the Saints got ****ed yesterday. 

Well, don't throw in exaggerations. :-) (It was 3rd and 10, PI at the spot of the contact is about 8 yards. Only the 1st down is relevant, the yardage really isn't).

I get it, it was blatant and they missed it. But it wasn't the only thing that decided the game. And it's always worth remembering - the lovely slow mo, perfect angle shot above is not what a human sees in real time.

Let me ask this - had this call been made, and the Saints won, would that have changed the narrative on the non-call face mask? Or would that have then been the call that lost the game for the Rams?

1 minute ago, Reynolds1029 said:

I agree that the blown call is being made into something bigger than it is because it was missed just before the end of the game. But this call literally sends the Saints right then and there to the Super Bowl. The missed call on Goff is not blatent. It was an accidental facemask and doesn't change the outcome of the game. Cowherd is ASSUMING that the Rams score a TD and that makes the difference. But it only puts them first and goal at the 1. The Saints CAN make a goal line stand and still be in the same situation. This blown call couldn't have been more game changing and it was missed. 

TL:DR Cowherd is comparing apples to Oranges with these calls. Even with Recency bias taken into account. 

This works both ways. This call only puts the Saints 1st and goal at the 5.

What if Payton calls another pass play? Like he did on 1st and 10 at the 13?

What if they call a run and the RB fumbles it? Maybe the Rams deliberately give up the TD on 1st down, and save enough time to score a TD of their own?

What if NO miss the FG after three runs? Or Rams block it? Just because they kicked the FG straight after doesn't mean they'd have made a different kick several minutes later.

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

if you couldnt tell in real time may as well stab yourself in the eyes with an icepick

I could tell, but I only saw the TV angles / replays. Was the line judge even in the right spot, was he too close ... who knows. He f'ed up, big time, God only knows why.

But ... if we open up every play, decision and non-call to replay, better be ready for 4 hour plus games. And that's before OT. Maybe they need to cut down on other clock stoppages to compensate? Lots of moving parts to consider. But it's unlikely that wholesale changes will happen after the furore dies down.

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Rams were the better team that day, and the better team is going to the Super Bowl. I think the Rams defense is going to dominate the Patriots. I would love for LIII to be the first Super Bowl that Brady and Belichick get embarrassed in all three phases.

I wouldn't bet on it.. but I hope for it.

48 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Well, don't throw in exaggerations. :-) (It was 3rd and 10, PI at the spot of the contact is about 8 yards. Only the 1st down is relevant, the yardage really isn't).

I get it, it was blatant and they missed it. But it wasn't the only thing that decided the game. And it's always worth remembering - the lovely slow mo, perfect angle shot above is not what a human sees in real time.

Let me ask this - had this call been made, and the Saints won, would that have changed the narrative on the non-call face mask? Or would that have then been the call that lost the game for the Rams?

No, because it was evened out by the no call helmet to helmet that cost the Saints their Starting TE for the game.

50 minutes ago, jamesr said:

And dude, The NFL APOLOGIZED for the non-call and it will lead to a rules change. You are wrong. Period. End. Done..wrongo-dongo, captain stupid!

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Everything I said is the cold hard truth written in blood.

The COLD HARD TRUTH is the refs missed a facemask call on Jared Goff that takes away first and goal on the 1 yard line. Without a doubt that took away 4 points from the Rams. But let's not stop there. The Saints had a 23-20 lead after that missed PI, and the Saints defense allowed the Rams in 1 minute and 22 seconds to score a field goal to send the game to OT. You think the Saints defense that day makes a goal line stand with the Rams having it 1st and goal at the 1 yard line? I highly doubt it brother. The game goes to OT after both teams got screwed by the refs, then the Saints win the coinflip! Brees, unlike Tom Brady, CHOKES in OT forcing a pass with Fowler right in his face, which leads to an interception, and that INT pretty much cost the Saints the game and a trip to the Super Bowl. The Saints had so many missed opportunities to win that game, but they didn't. They could have run more clock by running the ball once they got it into field goal range, but nope, they kept passing the ball. That Rams D had a great performance that day. Holding the Saints to a pair of field goals early in the game proved to be huge. The Rams earned their trip to the Super Bowl despite the horrendous officiating we all witnessed that day. The Rams are and were the more complete team that day. The Rams going to the Super Bowl wasn't because the NFL is rigged. The NFL is not the WWE. This kind of talk is for the people who believe in conspiracy theories. I am not one of them.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

such contradictory use of words...  :) 

Archived