BornJetsFan1983

Sign Tony Romo to Off Coordiinator

I would sign him up as the Defensive Coordinator for the Pats games only

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Seriously, he might not have been able to perform when it matter most  in the playoffs (see his well documented losses as a player) but the dude knew what was happening and what he was supposed to do in every situation, or he certainly does in his new role as color. I'm not sure he is really making calls that aren't to someone that played the QB position but I seriously doubt any of our QB coaches or Off Coordinators  (bates Morty whatever all of them) ever could do what Tony is doing. It wouldn't be much of a jump to get him coaching. He is not just calling plays, but diagnoses it in real time better than the teams coaches calling the plays in real time.

Tell me one coach that we have had in the last decade that could consistently know what was happening and call plays that even sort of seemed like they had a chance during a season. Tony is sitting here calling plays, telling them if it would work and what they should be doing.

Maybe I just am pisst but damn love to have Tony on our sideline with Darnold. That is the type of voice I like in his ear as a coach. 

Doesn’t take a genius to go to your GO TO players in Edelman and Gronk when the rest of their ‘weapons’ suck. It’s just common sense. 

• Downvote 1

Honestly a great idea.

One of the brightest football minds out there who shares a common play style with our young savior whom he loves as well. 

c'mon.  i can see romo being good but the thing is these color commentators are given the game plan before the game so they kind of know what's coming.  plus the patsies have been going to guy like gronk and edelman (and before him welker and try brown) for quite a few years.  why other teams can't seem to figure this out is pretty surprising.

No way would he take a coordinator job. If he wants to coach he would be a head coach.

Tony Romo is a content retired former NFL quarterback who at the moment is an accomplished Broadcast Color Commentator, for which he is paid handsomely while enjoying freedom and leisure time.  He also is an accomplished Golfer who aspires to make it to the pro tour and eventually the Senior Circuit.  With his current schedule he is afforded the time to "work" on his golf game, make a nice income for himself and spend time with his family.....  Why do you hate him so much that you want to ruin his life by subjecting him to the "horror" that surely is the lifestyle of the " OC of the NYJ".  Shame.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I’d suggest QB coach before OC though. Just because he calls out plays doesn’t mean that he calls plays. I know Gase wants the least amount of voices around Darnold but Romo or Peyton would be awesome lol. 

Neither wii do that though. They are probably enjoying life.

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No way would he take a coordinator job. If he wants to coach he would be a head coach.

Couldn't find any former quarterback who went directly from player to Head Coach without first at least being a Coordinator or Coach on some level.  That would be a first.  Don't see it happening.

Couldn't find any former quarterback who went directly from player to Head Coach without first at least being a Coordinator or Coach on some level.  That would be a first.  Don't see it happening.
Pretty rare for college coaches will losing records to get a promotion but Arizona made that happen.

He's not going to get a head coaching job but the biggest the reason why is he's not going to want one.

Sent from my XT1650 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Pretty rare for college coaches will losing records to get a promotion but Arizona made that happen.

He's not going to get a head coaching job but the biggest the reason why is he's not going to want one.

Sent from my XT1650 using JetNation.com mobile app

Smart man.

40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It would be a good Gateway into HC though. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t mind him being the QB coach. Would love it actually. Make Dorrell the pass game coordinator and Pollack the run game coordinator with Gase calling the plays. Similar setup to the Rams.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

I would sign him up as the Defensive Coordinator for the Pats games only

Seriously, dude knows every play and where the ball is going like it's nothing. 

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Seriously, he might not have been able to perform when it matter most  in the playoffs (see his well documented losses as a player) but the dude knew what was happening and what he was supposed to do in every situation, or he certainly does in his new role as color. I'm not sure he is really making calls that aren't to someone that played the QB position but I seriously doubt any of our QB coaches or Off Coordinators  (bates Morty whatever all of them) ever could do what Tony is doing. It wouldn't be much of a jump to get him coaching. He is not just calling plays, but diagnoses it in real time better than the teams coaches calling the plays in real time.

Tell me one coach that we have had in the last decade that could consistently know what was happening and call plays that even sort of seemed like they had a chance during a season. Tony is sitting here calling plays, telling them if it would work and what they should be doing.

Maybe I just am pisst but damn love to have Tony on our sideline with Darnold. That is the type of voice I like in his ear as a coach. 

yeah I agree. I got LOL'd a year ago for saying this.

Romo would be a great mentor for Sam. Way better than McCown, and actually knows his stuff and has proven it game after game

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

has Romo ever been a coach of anything?

• Like 1

Actually he’d be a better d coordinator since he’s able to predict what the offence will do.

Now, why in the heck can’t our coaches do that?

Seriously, dude knows every play and where the ball is going like it's nothing. 

As a broadcaster he is given advance access to the coaches, players and basic game plan. Also practices leading up to the game which allows him to see most of the plays being rehearsed. He is a former QB used to reading defenses based on formation and calling offensive plays off of that. That is what he is essentially doing in the both. Most former QBs can, and have done what he is doing. It just isn’t encouraged from a broadcasting perspective because the networks view it is a spoiler for casual fans at home watching. CBS has decided to allow it with Romo, and I have to say it kind of works.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Why in the world would he leave his cushy job for that?  He now makes great money at something he is very good at, is becoming even more famous and he probably works about ten hours a week, if that.  Don't see it happening.

But don't you understand, Jets Fans have heard of Romo!  That means he'd be great at doing something he's never done before in any capacity, WE'VE HEARD OF HIM!!!  WE MUST SIGN HIM TO SOMETHING SOMETHING.

The only thing that's missing from Jets Fan perfection, Romo isn't a failed ex-Jet.  Just imagine if he was, how Jets Fans would be....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I just wish I could watch him without Nantz.

There will be plenty of Nantz on his knees on Super Bowl Sunday

Everyone making a big deal about this. Romo is a better than average announcer, which really only speaks to how bad most of them suck. I noticed him calling those plays, but those were obvious to everyone in that stadium and watching on TV except for Bob Sutton. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

has Romo ever been a coach of anything?

he is a good analyst.  he does not just analyze, he calls the play a lot.  I even kind of like Aikman, though he seems so unhappy to be there.  The worst former player/commentator, by leaps and bounds, of course, was Ron Duguay on the Ranger broadcasts.  He should be the subject of a How-Not-To video.

It's one thing to guess whether Brady will throw to Gronkowski or Edelman from the booth but an entirely different job to design a playbook and call plays under pressure. 

Romo is easily the best NFL broadcaster I've heard in a while. When I listen to him I feel like I actually learn something.  He's is very good at breaking down a play so the casual fan can understand and at the same time the more  hardcore fan can pick up some new info. Seems like every other announcer is pretty terrible and you wonder how they even have a job.

You can tell Romo watches a ton of film and breaks down each teams tendencies based on down and situation. It seems like he would make a great coach if he wanted to.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BloodGreen said:

As a broadcaster he is given advance access to the coaches, players and basic game plan. Also practices leading up to the game which allows him to see most of the plays being rehearsed. He is a former QB used to reading defenses based on formation and calling offensive plays off of that. That is what he is essentially doing in the both. Most former QBs can, and have done what he is doing. It just isn’t encouraged from a broadcasting perspective because the networks view it is a spoiler for casual fans at home watching. CBS has decided to allow it with Romo, and I have to say it kind of works.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Thank you 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

he is a good analyst.  he does not just analyze, he calls the play a lot.  I even kind of like Aikman, though he seems so unhappy to be there.  The worst former player/commentator, by leaps and bounds, of course, was Ron Duguay on the Ranger broadcasts.  He should be the subject of a How-Not-To video.

Our beloved Joe Namath wasn't too spiffy either, if you recall.  Didn't do it long, probably had a "feeling" about his prowess as a Color Commentator.

Romo is great.  A lot of that is him just understanding the game.

But he's also being fed information in a production meeting from the players and coaches.

• Like 1

Also - Romo is obviously having fun. He's kind of like comedians that make you laugh by giggling at their own bit. Only he is adding value and helping you see the field better... while having a ball. 

It's great tv. It's just too bad he is sitting next to the Patriots press officer while he is doing it.

Dude never, ever stops talking. I’d be glad for him to get an OC job just so I can watch a game with a few moments without commentary.

• Haha 1