Sign Tony Romo to Off Coordiinator

BornJetsFan1983

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Seriously, he might not have been able to perform when it matter most  in the playoffs (see his well documented losses as a player) but the dude knew what was happening and what he was supposed to do in every situation, or he certainly does in his new role as color. I'm not sure he is really making calls that aren't to someone that played the QB position but I seriously doubt any of our QB coaches or Off Coordinators  (bates Morty whatever all of them) ever could do what Tony is doing. It wouldn't be much of a jump to get him coaching. He is not just calling plays, but diagnoses it in real time better than the teams coaches calling the plays in real time.

Tell me one coach that we have had in the last decade that could consistently know what was happening and call plays that even sort of seemed like they had a chance during a season. Tony is sitting here calling plays, telling them if it would work and what they should be doing.

Maybe I just am pisst but damn love to have Tony on our sideline with Darnold. That is the type of voice I like in his ear as a coach. 

He makes $4 million per year working 22 weeks as a broadcaster, and he will be getting a very substantial raise after next season. 

18 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Seriously, he might not have been able to perform when it matter most  in the playoffs (see his well documented losses as a player) but the dude knew what was happening and what he was supposed to do in every situation, or he certainly does in his new role as color. I'm not sure he is really making calls that aren't to someone that played the QB position but I seriously doubt any of our QB coaches or Off Coordinators  (bates Morty whatever all of them) ever could do what Tony is doing. It wouldn't be much of a jump to get him coaching. He is not just calling plays, but diagnoses it in real time better than the teams coaches calling the plays in real time.

Tell me one coach that we have had in the last decade that could consistently know what was happening and call plays that even sort of seemed like they had a chance during a season. Tony is sitting here calling plays, telling them if it would work and what they should be doing.

Maybe I just am pisst but damn love to have Tony on our sideline with Darnold. That is the type of voice I like in his ear as a coach. 

Good idea, but Romo has quickly become the best play-by-play commentator probably in all of sports. His coverage of the Pats/Chiefs game was unbelievable, especially the way he was able to call the outcome of plays before it happened. 

He could probably garner an OC salary from the booth, which would be well deserved. The way he calls games puts the viewer in the drivers seat in a way. Romo isnt going anywhere, but if he did, hiring him as an OC would be a great idea. 

I think there are a lot of competent DCs that can call the offensive plays pre-snap the way that Romo does. I'm sure Greg Williams was sitting on the couch doing the same thing. Only the best DCs can come up with a game plan that enables the players to recognize and defend those plays.

As for Romo, he's not leaving the booth, but I'd pay him top dollar to spend a few days mentoring Sam this off-season.

17 hours ago, BigO said:

Doesn’t take a genius to go to your GO TO players in Edelman and Gronk when the rest of their ‘weapons’ suck. It’s just common sense. 

Yeah I was really surprised that Elelman was not getting a double team. He just runs routes and finds the holes in zone coverage. He IS the go to guy for Brady. Rams will need to find a way to shut him down. Maybe a jam at the line to throw off the timing. Also Brady was virtually untouched all game. If you want to beat the Pats you have to get to Brady early and often. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

A. His job is too cush and pays too well. B. This is just what a sound football mind sounds like it, just exacerbated bc the normal color commentators have never played the game, or are complete boobs.  

Actually, the color commentator is almost always somebody who played the game at the pro level, no?  Troy Aikman, Chris Collinsworth, Phil Simms, Rich Gannon, Dan Fouts, Ronde Barber, etc. 

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Yeah I was really surprised that Elelman was not getting a double team. He just runs routes and finds the holes in zone coverage. He IS the go to guy for Brady. Rams will need to find a way to shut him down. Maybe a jam at the line to throw off the timing. Also Brady was virtually untouched all game. If you want to beat the Pats you have to get to Brady early and often. 

Edelman thrives because no one treats him like a #1 WR. No one except Brady that is.  If it is so obvious to us, I don't get why no one else sees it?

I think the Rams are going to do exactly what you said. They will put Marcus Peters on Edleman in press coverage the entire game. No free releases and with the tempers and competitive edges of those 2 guys, it will prove to be entertaining. This will be combined with the Rams trying to pressure Brady and break the pocket inside. Donald and Suh are already in the middle but I think Phillips will blitz up the middle as well.  Frankly, if I'm Phillips I tell my players do not worry about roughing the passer calls in the first half. Getting to Brady is far more important then worrying about the penalty.

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Edelman thrives because no one treats him like a #1 WR. No one except Brady that is.  If it is so obvious to us, I don't get why no one else sees it?

I think the Rams are going to do exactly what you said. They will put Marcus Peters on Edleman in press coverage the entire game. No free releases and with the tempers and competitive edges of those 2 guys, it will prove to be entertaining. This will be combined with the Rams trying to pressure Brady and break the pocket inside. Donald and Suh are already in the middle but I think Phillips will blitz up the middle as well.  Frankly, if I'm Phillips I tell my players do not worry about roughing the passer calls in the first half. Getting to Brady is far more important then worrying about the penalty.

That’s one thing Jets fans have learned playing the Pats twice a year. If you rock Brady early and don’t allow him to get his rhythm he starts hurrying his throws and his accuracy diminishes. It’s the only way to beat him

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

My thought is that if Romo knows a lot, just imagine how much Peyton Manning and Tom Brady know! 

I think Romo is annoying honestly.  That one play where Gronk motioned to the slot it doesn’t take a genius to figure out he was Brady’s first read just because the crappy Chiefs safety couldn’t recognize it

Gronk and Brady have been doing that for 8 years now teams just suck at covering and adjusting to the pre snap motion

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I think Romo is pretty comfortable and probably getting a big salary as a commentator. Not sure he has desires to coach

Since the guy has never coached anything, anywhere (check his bio),  he'd need to start as a position coach or as an assistant to a position coach.  He's probably making more money per broadcast than he would make in an entire season.   

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Actually, the color commentator is almost always somebody who played the game at the pro level, no?  Troy Aikman, Chris Collinsworth, Phil Simms, Rich Gannon, Dan Fouts, Ronde Barber, etc. 

in other words CTE zombies and team homers 

Agree with the post that said Gregg Williams (or any DC) can do it 3 seconds before the play the trick is doing it 30 seconds before the play

it's like playing chess 4 moves ahead vs playing chess straight up 

19 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Why in the world would he leave his cushy job for that?  He now makes great money at something he is very good at, is becoming even more famous and he probably works about ten hours a week, if that.  Don't see it happening.

Well that leaves plenty of time left over to do a side gig as OC! Seriously though, how many jobs does Michael Strahan have? 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I think Romo is annoying honestly.  That one play where Gronk motioned to the slot it doesn’t take a genius to figure out he was Brady’s first read just because the crappy Chiefs safety couldn’t recognize it

Gronk and Brady have been doing that for 8 years now teams just suck at covering and adjusting to the pre snap motion

Furthermore what is so great about being told ahead of time what is going to happen? When did color commentary become predictions? 

More realistic than this:

“CBS broadcaster/seer of the future Tony Romo clearly still has the ability to diagnose plays at the line of scrimmage, and somebody apparently wanted him to get back to doing it with a helmet on.
In his interview with Richard Deitsch of The Athletic, Romo said he’s had offers to come back to the field.
“There are legitimate contract offers and there are, ‘Hey, what are you thinking?'” he said with a laugh.
Then asked to describe the difference between a serious offer and a less-than serious offer, he offered a bit of info.
“There was something earlier this season and definitely two times this offseason,” he said. “Usually, it is a coach that reaches out” “

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Romo is great.  A lot of that is him just understanding the game.

But he's also being fed information in a production meeting from the players and coaches.

And people scoff that he only has to work a few hours one day a week! 

53 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Furthermore what is so great about being told ahead of time what is going to happen? When did color commentary become predictions? 

I’m sure Romo would be way better than some of the crap OCs we have had but I still prefer Gase handling the offense

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Good idea, but Romo has quickly become the best play-by-play commentator probably in all of sports. His coverage of the Pats/Chiefs game was unbelievable, especially the way he was able to call the outcome of plays before it happened. 

He could probably garner an OC salary from the booth, which would be well deserved. The way he calls games puts the viewer in the drivers seat in a way. Romo isnt going anywhere, but if he did, hiring him as an OC would be a great idea. 

Best play by play commentator in all of sports?

Archived