Entirely too early offeseason mock(4 Round Draft/FA)

Patriot Killa

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

If we don't sign a big name rb maybe we can make the off season interesting and let the jags move up for their qb take on bortles contract and demand fournette (who they seemed to have issues with last year aside from his injuries) maybe not the most realistic idea but could be worth a phone call depending on what the team looks like closer to the draft.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Fornett is a bum. Disrespected his teammates last game of the season on the sidelines by acting like he didnt care, rumored to be milking his hamstring injury, got himself ejected from a game, Coughlin cant stand him, bad teammate. PASS

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fornett is a bum. Disrespected his teammates last game of the season on the sidelines by acting like he didnt care, rumored to be milking his hamstring injury, got himself ejected from a game, Coughlin cant stand him, bad teammate. PASS
Blue chip prospect on a rookie contract who we might be able to get at basically no cost even if just for a bandaid?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I like a lot of this but I think Henry anderson is a good player and can be good in any scheme.  I'm not a huge fan of roberts.

Not wanting to disagree with you but if he was he would have never been traded by the Colts.

appreciate the effort

C Mitch Morse is concussion city. Far too many and when he gets them he's out for a month. Hard pass

RT James there's no need, Shell is basically the same guy 

QB Josh McCown is beyond done. The games he played this year were winnable 

WR Deontay Burnett sux. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

appreciate the effort

C Mitch Morse is concussion city. Far too many and when he gets them he's out for a month. Hard pass

RT James there's no need, Shell is basically the same guy 

QB Josh McCown is beyond done. The games he played this year were winnable 

WR Deontay Burnett sux. 

Thank for you the feedback. I’ll probably do another after the Senior Bowl. I wanted to fill as holes with FA and double down in the draft.

I HATE when people quote the OP after having a long post. Pet peeve for sure. 
Anyways, I would love this off-season. I do not see Jacksonville giving up that much tho. 

Given what teams have been giving up to move up for QBs the last 7 years, I think PK’s scenario would be a bargain for the Jaguars.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yes. Haskins. the chart aligns nicely with the 2019 1st, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd so that was my deal. They’d be paying close to 1000 points extra if we got their 1st in 2020. Idk if that’s more realistic than the 2nd 2020.

I'm not an expert on draft value.  What was the value we gave/got to move from 6 to 3 last year?  Seems like moving from 3 to 7 should be worth more, especially if no QB goes 1 or 2; the #3 spot would be the first QB spot.

Someone ALWAYS overpays for a QB in the draft.

5 minutes ago, viffer said:

I'm not an expert on draft value.  What was the value we gave/got to move from 6 to 3 last year?  Seems like moving from 3 to 7 should be worth more, especially if no QB goes 1 or 2; the #3 spot would be the first QB spot.

We overpaid a good bit for the third pick last year. Jags would only be overpaying just a tad bit in this scenario.

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Great write up @Patriot Killa. I really can along with that mock draft. Dropping to 7 and getting perhaps the best WR would be nice. Of course it all depends on what we do in free agency but 7 is a good spot to drop to. 

Thanks, Prime. What did you think of the rest of the draft? I’m really starting to like Elgton Jenkins a lot. Easily a plug and play starting center. My next mock will most likely having us resign Harrison and taking Jenkins in some way, shape or form.

Thanks, Prime. What did you think of the rest of the draft? I’m really starting to like Elgton Jenkins a lot. Easily a plug and play starting center. My next mock will most likely having us resign Harrison and taking Jenkins in some way, shape or form.

I’m intrigued with Winovich. I think he would fit nicely in a Gregg Williams defense. I didn’t see you list Jenkins in your mock. I think he goes late one or 2nd round. Let’s see if we can acquire a 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I hope I’m wrong but I really don’t think they’ll be able to trade down. There’s no QB worth moving that high for. And why not wait till OAK to do so?

Mac would have to take a cheap deal and prob the one making the calls. 

People like Haskins. He just had a season where he threw 48 touchdowns to 7 interceptions on a 70% completion rate and on top of it he won the rose bowl in convincing fashion. Someone is going to trade up for him.

I am on board with almost all of this list except;  Morris Clairborne needs to be shown the door.  We can do better. Steve  McClendon has seen better days was a big disappointment and has, for me outlived his usefulness.  I would see what the new coaching staff thinks about Peake before cutting him.  He has the physical tools, and doesn't cost much, may be he's a victim of poor coaching, has shown flashes in the past.  I'm not wild about LeVeon Bell, character and dollars, but understand the attraction, and let's see where else the  dollars are spent.  What about Carpenter, Beachum.  I hope you think Carpenter should be gone, his play has fallen off tremendously.  Beachum stinks, but if he is retained as a reclamation project/depth I understand.  I assume you propose keeping Winters. I'm ok with that.  Don't know all the draft picks but the positioning and draft order all seem well thought out and appropriate.   Love the trade down.  Only thought is maybe using the #2 on a Defensive playmaker {Defensive Tackle or Explosive linebacker} who slips to us out of the first due to the depth of this draft. I don't agree with Burnett. He has great hands, decent size and has a good understanding of how to find open space.  Let's see if he can play the slot.  He's young cheap and will be  useful somewhere on this roster  Where are you drafting safeties on this board? Haha.  Great Job.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I like a lot of this but I think Henry anderson is a good player and can be good in any scheme.  I'm not a huge fan of roberts.

Yeah you find a player that outperforms expectations and is one of the GM's rare "hits" you don't dump him just because.  We did that with the second go-round of Demario Davis and he would easily be the best 'backer on this team right now.

Seahawks have $55 million in cap space. I can't see them allowing Frank Clark, who is their best defensive player next to Bobby Wagner, leave. I expect he'll be either re-signed or at worst franchise tagged by the Seahawks.

In fact, I think none of the top tier pass rushers (Lawrence, Clowney, Flowers or Clark) test free agency as they either sign new deals with their current teams or receive the franchise tag. Dee Ford may have cost himself a fair amount of coin by lining up in the wrong position yesterday, but I suspect he'll stay with Kansas City anyway.

I think another free agent target could be Grady Jarrett. Only 26 and had a great season with the Falcons. Again, I think it'll be difficult to prise him away from the Falcons, but I would be looking at someone like him to help anchor the middle of the defence in a 4-3 defence.

Personally, if I were Maccagnan, I would be looking at the following moves:

Cuts - Skrine, Kearse, Peake (no brainers all of them) and, if the Jets sign Bell or another free agent running back, designate Crowell as a post June 1 cut (incurs $1 million in dead money but saves $4 million on the cap)

Re-signs - McLendon, Roberts, Luvu, Copeland

Tender Robby Anderson at a first round grade

Let walk - Claiborne, McCown, Powell, Anderson

Free agent signings

Le'Veon Bell or Tevin Coleman - assuming he has a team-first attitude, Bell would be a great asset for the Jets. Fantastic running back and always a danger as a receiver out of the back-field. If Bell proves to be too expensive, the fallback would be Coleman, who should come much cheaper than Bell, even if he isn't anywhere near as good a player. Personally, if the Jets sign Bell, I would cut Crowell as there would be no need for Bell and Crowell to be on the same roster together. If the Jets fail to sign Bell but sign Coleman, then look to see if Crowell and Coleman can work as a running back by committee.

Tyrell Williams (WR) - not a true #1 receiver, but has the measurables to be a solid player for the Jets and will complement Robby Anderson

Matt Paradis (C) or Mitch Morse (C) - Long was a disaster at centre and I suspect that these two are the two best centres on the free agent market. Denver could opt to re-sign Paradis as they have the cap space for it and will likely be breaking in a new quarterback next season (word is that Keenum won't be the starter for the Broncos next year, as they're likely to push for Flacco or Foles in free agency), which perhaps means that they will want a veteran centre to work with the new quarterback.

Golden Tate (WR) - maybe a luxury signing after we re-signed Enunwa, but I don't trust Enunwa to stay healthy, while Tate is a veteran receiver who can be a security blanket for Sam.

Anthony Barr (OLB) - a second-tier pass rushing option, but has shown he can do the job with the Vikings who may find it difficult to re-sign him due to a cap squeeze. 

Bryce Callahan (CB) - a good replacement for Claiborne. 

If the Jets could swing a trade down with a team looking to upgrade their quarterback, I'd be all for it, especially if we can get either a 2020 first round pick and/or a 2019 second round pick. I would still be keen to draft an offensive lineman in the first round, probably Jonah Williams or Greg Little.

If the Jets stand pat at pick #3 overall, it wouldn't put it past Maccagnan to take Quinnen Williams on the basis that he represents the best player available (assuming Bosa is off the board).

Do you feel like it’s a fair return for us though?

Doesn’t matter much to me. I’ll feel lucky just to be in a position to trade down in this draft. This isn’t last year’s QB class, for sure.

And dropping down to 7 is about perfect for us. Puts us in position to take arguably the best OL or WR in the draft, and do so without regret.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What about Carpenter, Beachum. 

I honestly forgot about James Carpenter lol. I’d let him walk faster than he can leave the building. Beachum can stay for one more year. I was mostly focused on the inside OL in the draft because that inside was the biggest issue. The way I have this set up is Beachum walking the offseason after with Andre Dillard ready to take the reigns as starting LT.

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn’t matter much to me. I’ll feel lucky just to be in a position to trade down in this draft. This isn’t last year’s QB class, for sure.

And dropping down to 7 is about perfect for us. Puts us in position to take arguably the best OL or WR in the draft, and do so without regret.

Agreed, #7 is honestly an awesome spot. Wouldn’t feel any regret taking Jonah or Metcalf there.

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

First Order of business:

1st rd tender on Robby Anderson

Walk List Buster Skrine Jermaine Kearse Charon Peake Henry Anderson(working under the assumption we run the 4-3

Resign list:

Steve McClendon(DE/DT)- 1 Year deal 

Morris Claiborne(CB) - 3 year deal

Darryl Roberts(CB) - 2 year deal

Frankie Luvu(MLB) - 1 year deal

Brandon Copeland(OLB) - 1 year deal 

Josh McCown(QB) - 1 year deal 

FA signings:

Le’Veon Bell(RB)

Adam Humphries(Slot WR)

Frank Clark(DE) 

Mitch Morse(C) 

Bryce Callahan(Slot CB) 

Ja’Waun James(RT) 

Draft:

Jets trade #3 overall pick(value: 2200) to Jacksonville Jaguars for #7 overall pick(value: 1500), 2019 2nd round #38 overall,(value: 520), 2020 2nd round pick.

2nd Round, #38 Overall: Andre Dillard, LT, Washington 

3rd Round, #95 Overall: Chase Winovich, DE/OLB, Michigan State.

4th Round, #98 Overall: Dave Singletary, RB, FAU.

Good effort and some good insights. I’d be more radical however in my approach. I’d tender a 2nd on Robbie. He’s a 1 trick pony so if someone bites it’s no big loss and we get a 2nd. I’d kiss Leo farewell via trade or just cut him. He’s underperformed. Seen enough of him. I’d cut Lee or not resign him. Don’t know his status but he’s another underperforming waste product. I’d demolish the OL, bar Shell, who’d provide depth. 

Walkers- The ones you mentioned plus Mcklendon. He was terrible this past year. Clairborne, burn burn burnt. McCown NO. I’d bring Fitz back but he’s a jinx so never mind. Osweiler would be best bet. 

Resign - Burnett, Copeland, Luvu, Roberts. 

FA signings 

No to Bell. I ain’t giving 18 mill to a RB. F that noise. Would love to get Alex Collins. Our RB’s are mediocre. This may just have to wait. 

Love the DE Clark move A+ and the steal Bryce Callahan(Slot CB) A++ Just what this secondary needs or sign Honeybadger. 

Humphries A+ Young and talented slot wr. Great compliment to Anderson, Enuwa, Herndon and Burkett. 

Sign WR Tyrell Williams. Sam is all giddy.

Sign OL   C  Paradis, G Glowinski, G Saffold

Draft Trade back I like the trade. Jonah Williams may be there. If not take CB Greedy or fill an important need with an impact player. 

3rd round RB Dexter Williams ND Kid can do it all. 

The rest I will deter. I’m tired ? 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Agree about Anderson. I think everyone is too keen to see him off based on what the Colts felt about his usefulness in a 4-3, If I remember correctly they wanted him to drop weight to play end more than DT and I’m not so sure Gregg Williams isn’t going to see some value in him staying exactly as he is and filling one of the interior DL slots. Worth considering.

I think Roberts is a bit underrated. Not a star by any means but for the right money he has a role to play. I think he filled in manfully at FS the latter part of the season, sure there was the high profile burning by Hopkins in the Housaton game but otherwise he was solid. I think guys like that can be useful.

My personal view when evaluating our secondary is that our pass rush has been so anaemic for years that it’s tough to truly understand the value of what we have back there. If we ever start getting serious pressure on opposing QB’s and start forcing panicky throws you’ll likely see more INTS and 3rd down incompletions and therefor perhaps a slightly more positive view of our DB’s. Not saying these guys are all world or anything by any stretch but we actually had a surprising amount of coverage sacks this past couple of years and I’ve lost count of how many times opposing QB’s have hung around untouched in the pocket before finally completing a pass. The secondary can’t cover for ever. I wan’t to see a decent pass rush to truly evaluate guys like Roberts

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

First Order of business:

1st rd tender on Robby Anderson. It’s only an extra 1.4 compared to using the 2nd round tender. You have the money so just do it.

Ask Gregg Williams to review tape of Leonard and determine if he believes that Williams can be salvaged and if it is worth the 14$. Trust his thoughts and move accordingly on LW. This would be the year to give an extra chance with a new DC if you really wanted to considering the Cap Space and the fact this team has the least amount of Cap $$ commitment in the league. ((assuming that he does get the tag..I’m going to work under those circumstances in this mock))

Deontay Burnett to the active roster.

Move Spencer To LG

Walk List:

Buster Skrine

Jermaine Kearse

Charon Peake(Trenton Cannon is our new gunner, no reason to waste a WR roster spot.)

Henry Anderson(working under the assumption we run the 4-3, (That is the reason I’m going to let Henry Anderson walk. )

Resign list:

Steve McClendon(DE/DT)- 1 Year deal 

Morris Claiborne(CB) - 3 year deal (with an escape hatch in the deal after the first year)

Darryl Roberts(CB) - 2 year deal

Frankie Luvu(MLB) - 1 year deal

Brandon Copeland(OLB) - 1 year deal 

Josh McCown(QB) - 1 year deal 

FA signings:

Le’Veon Bell(RB)- We get a jack of all trades RB in his prime who is the first truly elite player on offense since Curtis Martin, himself. He’ll give Darnold one of the most important security blankets he could ever have in this young part of his career where it’s needed the most.

(Alternative: Telvin Coleman)

Adam Humphries(Slot WR) - we get a 3rd down chain mover who can be money when we need it the most. Humphries has excellent hands and ran a healthy amount of the route tree with Monken scheming him open. He has the potential to be an integral part of a Adam Gase scheme. His style reminds me of Albert Wilson, slightly. Albert Wilson excelled with Gase.

0A107B7A-E1C7-4CDD-ADCB-0B6FD664EF17.thumb.jpeg.2dfe78597d5fd07e703dae56ba09a025.jpeg

(Alternative: Chris Conley)

Frank Clark(DE) - A young talented player who fits the new scheme and can provide a possible long term fill at RDE. 

70D41F99-7CD5-4562-B4FF-B232DA0A8C5B.thumb.jpeg.f89f1c7d5736d060edbea45e550f9b12.jpeg

(Alternative: Dante Fowler Jr.)

Mitch Morse(C) - After moving Spencer Long to LG has a last experiment to see if he can be salvaged on the last 2 remaining years on his contract, we yet again have a major hole at Center so we take Mitch Morse to hold it down long term.

1B937881-FA52-484B-9CAA-440BD38D9994.thumb.jpeg.eb985100fc768242a3d769e4dffe757e.jpeg

(Alternative: if we can’t sign Morse, I resign Jonatthan Harrison, and draft one.)

Bryce Callahan(Slot CB) - on a three year deal. He’s a young corner(27) and very talented player who can take over the slot for us, long term, while Morris and Tru come back to man the outside spots. I don’t trust Parry to start yet. And Darryl can rotate in and out where they find him best at. But a primary slot corner is needed. Bryce gets the job.

6FA1946B-B191-4895-B195-2DDFC3F4A952.thumb.jpeg.57e32023adb96ff49e53a8954e80568c.jpeg

(Alternative: Ronald Derby)

Ja’Waun James(RT) - Don’t know if Brandon Shell’s injury will keep him out longer than training camp but we go and get an ex-Dolphin who knows how to play in Gase’s offense and someone who is actually a year younger than Brandon Shell is. Brandon Shell is 27 and a very average player who was just injured. Definitely have to get a RT for more than one reason.

EEAB7F58-87A8-456C-BB3B-3D1492E9F8AD.thumb.jpeg.e09456e5c5e9564acdb9ab69995579e4.jpeg

(Alternative: Darryl Williams)

Draft:

Jets trade #3 overall pick(value: 2200) to Jacksonville Jaguars for #7 overall pick(value: 1500), 2019 2nd round #38 overall,(value: 520), 2020 2nd round pick.(value estimated: 500)

Jets value given: 2200

Jaguars value given: 2520

1st Round, #7 overall: DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss. 

— A bit too much of a rol of the dice for some posters taste but nonetheless we get great compensation for the 3rd pick and the best WR in the draft at #7. The Jets need a big X WR who can grab contested jump balls. we can focus on OL and take some reasonable players now that we have playmaker covered.

2nd Round, #38 Overall: Andre Dillard, LT, Washington

— Jets take a LT long term soluation for Kelvin Beachum. He can take over right away or we can give him a year of limited reps and groom him for next year’s full introduction to being a starting LT in the NFL

3rd Round, #68 Overall: Michael Dieter, LG/C, Wisconsin.

— Michael Dieter is a versatile OL who can play all long the inside of the line. He blocked well for Jonathan Taylor last season and can develop into quality starter, imo. We will most likely like him at LG for Spencer Long’s replacement. Spencer isn’t destined to be on the team for much longer. 

3rd Round, #95 Overall: Chase Winovich, DE/OLB, Michigan State.

— Jets get a seasoned senior pass rusher who has great speed and athleticism off the edge, someone can hit the opposing QB often as well as stop the run. He tallied 8.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss as a junior along with  5.0 sacks and 15.5 tackles for a loss as a senior.

4th Round, #98 Overall: Dave Singletary, RB, FAU.

— Jets take a tough complimentary back to Le’Veon Bell. Singletary has amazing balance, long speed and will break tackles often. 

Nice effort all round. I’d rather go after Paradis than Morse at centre. Is Morse really that good?....or benefitting from the ‘KC effect’ that comes with being part of such a record breaking offence? If we are going to replace Long and Harrison it needs to be a significant upgrade and for me Paradis is 100% in that category but I remain to be convinced about MM.  I like that Paradis has battled through some losing teams while still being considered a top centre for several years. Also like adding a bit of experience(29) and leadership to Sam’s huddle while still having a guy who’s young enough to have a few years ahead of him. 

Shell is not expected to miss any time so if we go after James(and I’m not against it at all) we’d have a decision to make about BS. In effect we’d be drawing a line under him. He may have some trade value.

I like AJ Cann of Jacksonville but likewise we’d be calling it a day for Brian Wnters if we did that.

I love your trade with Jacksonville but I’m not sold at all on Metcalf. I think there’s insane depth at WR all the way down the draft and personally I’d look at drafting a couple from Round 2(Hollywood, if he drops, Stanley Morgan) through 4(Sills, Custis, Dillon Mitchell, Doss). I need to go back and take a look at Metcalf maybe I can be persuaded. At 7 we have to get an edge rusher. There’s just too many blue chip guys this year to miss put. Even if Allen, Bosa and Ferrell are gone there’s still guys like Montez Sweat or even Rashan Gary. It will be interesting to see between now and the combine who rises, who falls and who solidifies themselves as top 10 material. Either way dropping back to 7 and recouping a high 2nd this year and a 2nd in 2020 would be good business

I love Devin Singletary and if he was available in the 4th I’d be racing up to the podium with the card. I think he goes higher. I also think Justice Hill is worth a look. Either would make a nice compliment to Le’Veon Bell and both can catch the ball and be a dangerous match-up headache for opposing defences

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Given what teams have been giving up to move up for QBs the last 7 years, I think PK’s scenario would be a bargain for the Jaguars.

I agree but if and only if there’s a QB worth trading up for. As of now, I don’t think anyone goes in the top 10. 

Still very early tho. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I agree but if and only if there’s a QB worth trading up for. As of now, I don’t think anyone goes in the top 10. 

Still very early tho. 

All 3 teams picking at the top don't need QB's, so if Haskins is indeed worth moving up for, it could happen at any spot.  But I also can't see the Cardinals passing on Bosa.  San Fran is where things get interesting. 

QB's always get overrated as we get nearer to the date.  The Giants and Jaguars both need one, and if they both like Haskins, it turns into a "bidding war", where neither wants to wait until their spot to take him.  They want to "preempt" the other team. 

All 3 teams picking at the top don't need QB's, so if Haskins is indeed worth moving up for, it could happen at any spot.  But I also can't see the Cardinals passing on Bosa.  San Fran is where things get interesting. 
QB's always get overrated as we get nearer to the date.  The Giants and Jaguars both need one, and if they both like Haskins, it turns into a "bidding war", where neither wants to wait until their spot to take him.  They want to "preempt" the other team. 
I could see the redskins trying to move up too they are in a bad spot with their qb situation might target flacco or carr instead

When a team is willing to overpay for a qb they don't wait till pick 3 in a 2 qb draft. If a team rolls the dice and waits till we pick to make a trade they are not looking to be big spenders.

Archived