Entirely too early offeseason mock(4 Round Draft/FA)

Patriot Killa

So let's imagine a totally out of the box scenario. The Redskins sitting at #15. Obviously the trade package would have to be huge to move from 15 to 3. But let's just imagine that Dan Snyder remembers the excitement that one RGIII provided before his injuries. 

So say Snyder has his eyes on Murphy. No one needs a QB worse than the Deadskins. That fan base wants nothing to do with left over vets like Flacco anymore. Let's start with the Redskins 2nd, next years #1, plus Josh Norman who everyone knows wants out in Washington.

Sure a trade up from 15 to 3 would need a bit more going towards the Jets favor but would you do that trade at that starting point? Josh Norman (alpha dog), next years #1 giving us 2 picks, probably next years #3, and this years #2. 

I know it's a bit scary trading back 12 spots but on most mocks you get an idea who is sitting in the middle of the draft. See below from 1 mock.

15. Washington: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

There are a number areas Washington could address with the No. 15 pick. Cornerback is one of them, and Murphy is pro-ready corner thanks to his instincts and ability to play the ball in the air. 

16. Carolina PanthersClelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

The Panthers would be happy to see Ferrell last this long in the draft. He would immediately be the team’s best defensive end and help improve a lackluster pass rush. 

17. Cleveland BrownsChristian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

By the end of last season, Cleveland’s group of starting defensive linemen wore out due to overuse. That was particularly true for tackle Larry Ogunjobi. Wilkins can line up next to Ogunjobi and take some of the pressure off of him. 

18. Minnesota VikingsJawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

The Vikings need to hit on some picks this draft to really get into contention in the NFC. One thing holding Minnesota back has been subpar offensive line play. Taylor is a standout run blocker who could get looked at either at tackle or on the inside. 

19. Tennessee TitansBrian Burns, DE/OLB, Florida State

This is another holdover pick from last week’s mock draft. It was enticing to go with Oklahoma wide receiver Marquise Brown as a field stretcher for Tennessee, but an edge player is just as big of a need. Burns may be a little lean, but if he can bulk up he’ll be an effective pass rusher who can stand up or play with his hand in the ground.

20. Pittsburgh SteelersDevin White, LB, LSU

Because Ryan Shazier’s future is still unknown, the Steelers could turn to the draft to get a linebacker. White isn’t quite the player Roquan Smith was in last year’s draft, but he’s close. White excels at finding the ball carrier and making strong tackles. 

21. Seattle SeahawksT.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa

Seahawks tight end Will Dissly is working his way back from a torn patellar tendon, and it was clear how much he was missed last season. Even if he comes back fully healthy, the Seahawks need to get better at the position. The project of moving George Fantfrom tackle to tight end should be over, and the rest of the depth is average. Hockensonis the draft’s top tight end who is a capable blocker and pass catcher.

22. Baltimore RavensD.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

Alabama safety Deionte Thompson is an intriguing option here, but the Ravens may have to put a lot of work into their wide receiver group. Leading receiver John Brown is a free agent, Willie Snead is locked in as a slot-only player, and Michael Crabtree is just average. Metcalf can be a star No. 1 wideout for Lamar Jackson.

we have fans on this site saying take DK Metcalf at #3. How about trading Lee, and drafting Devin White for Williams 4/3? This mock has Clelin still there (highly doubtful but you never know).

Now, normally I would not advocate for vacating a #3 spot you got from losing so much, we earned that spot! But, when you have the QB in place it's much better to fill out a roster with more talented bodies than just 1 pick like Quinnen Williams or Jonah Williams.

Starting next year with our CBs being Tru & Josh is a nice start. I also look at this Jet team as a 2 year rebuild even though I think the needle starts pointing up next year. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

To get a QB

Why would they need to trade up to #3 for a QB? 

Who is taking a QB ahead of them at #7?  The Giants, maybe?

Which QB('s) are in such demand this draft that they don't feel comfortable sitting at #7 for their guy?

Why are they looking at the draft if they could sign say, Nick Foles (who will be available by all accounts)? 

I love the idea, don't get me wrong, getting back some or all of the picks we sold off to have a chance to draft Darnold thanks to the Giants, that would be great.  I'm just not sure the market will support it given this crop of QB's is not last year's crop, they're generally considered far less quality prospects and are likely to be drafted lower thusly.

A better chance (IMO) is to foster a trade down to say the Redskins, who A. are desperate now for a QB and likely won;t sign Foles as a FA, and B. are low enough that they might miss all three of the best prospects in this draft.  Jacksonville may just be content to sit at #7 and get the #2 prospect at QB, because other than the Giants who else in the top 6 is going QB?  

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which QB('s) are in such demand this draft that they don't feel comfortable sitting at #7 for their guy?

Why are they looking at the draft if they could sign say, Nick Foles (who will be available by all accounts)? 

I love the idea, don't get me wrong, getting back some or all of the picks we sold off to have a chance to draft Darnold thanks to the Giants, that would be great.  I'm just not sure the market will support it given this crop of QB's is not last year's crop, they're generally considered far less quality prospects and are likely to be drafted lower thusly.

A better chance (IMO) is to foster a trade down to say the Redskins, who A. are desperate now for a QB and likely won;t sign Foles as a FA, and B. are low enough that they might miss all three of the best prospects in this draft.  Jacksonville may just be content to sit at #7 and get the #2 prospect at QB, because other than the Giants who else in the top 6 is going QB?  

I think your right about the Redskins. See my post above yours. Snyder needs to make a splash this year & they need a QB bad but redskins fans will not be happy with an older retread. They're looking for a young future QB. 

I just realized Josh Norman was 31 years old! Wow, where has the time gone? Well, Redskins would have to part with a player to move up to our spot at 3, they do have a decent roster outside of QB so I'm sure they have a player at a position of need for us. 

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Outside of Bell I like it but I doubt Jax is going to give up that much. 

Actually it wasn't nearly enough.  The calculation of value of a 2020 2nd rounder was off.  PK set it at 500 which is the equivalent of the 8th pick of the round this year.  It should be roughly the average of the 3rd round this year, which is 190.  So the value of the trade back to us is 2,210.  While that matches our value almost perfectly, it is light if there is any sense of competition to move up for a QB.  We gave up 2,730 pts to move up to 3 last year (an extra current 2nd rounder and we were at 6, not 7).  I think 2,500 is probably the reasonable floor.  So with this year's 2nd and next year's second, I would expect JAX to probably add something else.  At the very, very least, we will get those two 2nds and probably a bit more.

14 hours ago, BCJet said:

He will be 27 to start this season, so would be an ideal candidate for a 4 year $20 million contract, as long as he knee injury isn't devastating.  I personally think that the best Olines are built from the inside out and if your guards are strong enough to not get bullrushed into the backfield (winters - routinely gets pushed 2/3 yards into the backfield blowing up plays) and can also pull/play in space, you are able to do so much more as a unit, that having someone like Shell is totally fine.

As far as CB, we've spent 3 mid/late round picks on Nickerson, Jones and Jeremy Clark and yet due to Bowles continuing to run Skrine out there, we really dont know what we have in Jones and Nickerson, young players who have flashed enough.  Teams routinely play mid round picks who flash in pre-season/TC/limited game snaps which is how you find cheap players.  Maybe Mac sucks at picking, but maybe Nickerson would have been a better slot CB then Skrine all year, we just didnt have a HC who believe in playing young players.  Jones and Nickerson also have excellent, NFL level athletic ability and Id love to see us have some guys to take chances on INTs.

I am not a fan of Shell at all. It seems to me that they spend way too much time covering him with a "tight end" (usually Qvale) so that he doesn't get obliterated by speed rushers.  I admit that he has held up better than I expected, but they should be all over trying to improve at RT, though I can see not throwing a ton of money at the spot.  

At CB, we have no idea about what Nickerson or Jones bring to the table.  The fact that Jones is not a special teams stud does not bode well IMO.  At best, they are good and it is all Bowles fault.  At worst they are non-roster players.  I know blaming Bowles is all the rage, but you forgot Juston Burris.  They basically handed him the job and he lost it.  It wasn't vets ahead of those guys - it was Burris and Roberts.  Just like Peake, Stewart and Hansen not getting run.  It wasn't vets keeping them off the field, it was Robby Anderson.  I don't account for any of these guys in my offseason other than maybe keeping from loading up on mid/low-level CB FAs or draft picks. That goes for Burnett too.  Check them out in camp sure, but I count on none of them. 

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Exactly. Enunwa does his work best from the slot, Burnett has the skill set of a slot player, Herndon occupies the same space as a slot receiver and Bell would mostly play in the slot when not in the backfield. It seems like overkill for a particular role in an offense if we sign Humphries. 

Agreed. Humphries is a hell of a player but Funchess might be a better fit. If we're taking a WR, which I think is a fantastic idea I really like N'Keal Harry. Think he may end up being the best wr in the class he's a freak! I'd probably pass on a WR in free agency if we're going WR 1s round, use the money to get more oline depth

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Look back at history.  Teams always need to trade up because other teams will jump them otherwise.  Why do you assume nobody else would trade up ahead of 6?  Goff, Wentz, Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky...the list goes on.  CHI trade up from 3 to 2 to get Trubisky.  Not because the 49ers were a threat to take him but because they were a threat to trade the pick to another team that wanted him.  

This isn't rocket science.  QBs in the top-10 are almost always the subject of a trade-up unless, like in the case of Winston/Matiota, the teams there stay put and draft them at the very top, or they are so overdrafted that it was safe to stay put (i.e. Jake Locker at 8, Christian Ponder at 8).  

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Look back at history.  Teams always need to trade up because other teams will jump them otherwise.  Why do you assume nobody else would trade up ahead of 6?  Goff, Wentz, Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky...the list goes on.  CHI trade up from 3 to 2 to get Trubisky.  Not because the 49ers were a threat to take him but because they were a threat to trade the pick to another team that wanted him.  

This isn't rocket science.  QBs in the top-10 are almost always the subject of a trade-up unless, like in the case of Winston/Matiota, the teams there stay put and draft them at the very top, or they are so overdrafted that it was safe to stay put (i.e. Jake Locker at 8, Christian Ponder at 8).  

Best case scenario for us would be the Redskins moving their way up through 2 trades so we can trade with them without going back to 15. But, I'd take DK Metcalf or Devin White at 15 with a HUGE HAUL from the Skins including 2020s 1st round pick! 2020 on is JETS TIME! 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

When a team is willing to overpay for a qb they don't wait till pick 3 in a 2 qb draft. If a team rolls the dice and waits till we pick to make a trade they are not looking to be big spenders.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No one is passing on Bosa.  Bosa goes 1 - then it's game on after that.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You do realize this is a mock draft and it’s for fun and complete speculation. A lot of “pro” mocks that have trades have Jax trading with the Jets or SF. I’m guessing if Jax did trade it would be to make sure that they got the QB they wanted instead of the Giants, Broncos, Bengals, Dolphins or Skins. 

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Actually it wasn't nearly enough.  The calculation of value of a 2020 2nd rounder was off.  PK set it at 500 which is the equivalent of the 8th pick of the round this year.  It should be roughly the average of the 3rd round this year, which is 190.  So the value of the trade back to us is 2,210.  While that matches our value almost perfectly, it is light if there is any sense of competition to move up for a QB.  We gave up 2,730 pts to move up to 3 last year (an extra current 2nd rounder and we were at 6, not 7).  I think 2,500 is probably the reasonable floor.  So with this year's 2nd and next year's second, I would expect JAX to probably add something else.  At the very, very least, we will get those two 2nds and probably a bit more.

I pulled up a few other trades in the top 5 and they’re all over the place in what they get. 

Looking back at trade-ups for QBs in recent drafts reminded me that it was BUF who traded out of the 10-slot with KC so the Chief's could take Mahomes.  As tough as it has been to be a Jets fan the past few...well decades...think about how that must feel up in Buffalo and will continue to for...well the next two decades.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You do realize this is a mock draft and it’s for fun and complete speculation.

Yes.

A lot of “pro” mocks that have trades have Jax trading with the Jets or SF.

Ok.

I’m guessing if Jax did trade it would be to make sure that they got the QB they wanted instead of the Giants, Broncos, Bengals, Dolphins or Skins. 

Jacksonville would only have to trade up to pick #5 to be ahead of all the other teams likely/potentially drafting a QB in round 1 in 2019, barring other trade ups.

Those other teams would have to jump to 5 or higher if they wanted the top QB.

With that said, none of the QB prospects in this cycle (to-date) are considered top 5 type prospects/picks.  

The market for QB would have to get hyped materially to foment the type of bidding war that would have someone trade as high as #3 for a QB. 

I don't see it.   At least one team will fill it's gap with Foles.  The others may be content to see who will fall to them, because this appears 9at this early date) to be a "QB's available in the middle of round 1" type draft class.  

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

This draft class is not consdiered remotely as good as Wentz, Godd, Mahomes, Darnold, etc.  That's why I don;t see the trade up being as sure thing as you seem to.  

As I said, I'd love it.  We could draft O-line without the Pass Rush fans whining about reaches, and we could get multipe high-round picks back to replace the treasure trove spent to get Darnold.

I just don't see it yet.  These QB's would need a hella more hype and combine results to drive that kind of trade up potential.

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’d probably ejaculate. DK and Dillard is double penetration for this guy. And obviously singletary is Fillet of talent. So would take this and run.

I really don’t think anyone is trading up but if  JAX falls in love with a QB and we’re willing to settle for 2nd and change, then maybe...just maybe, the gods will favor us. 

I dont think any team not settled at QB is going to play with ANY 2020/2021 house money. 

It would be a big time draft for sure but like you said with the QB prospects coming out the next two years I find it hard to believe that teams are going to give up the 2020/2021 capital... I've heard rumblings some believe as many as 3 qbs can go top 10 this year and that teams are higher than you'd think on the talent. I dont see it, but I've been wrong before on teams intentions.  I really want to see these qbs a little more, jones from duke at the senior bowl will be interesting as I think he has Mitch Trubisky riser potential.

One thing that keeps sticking in my mind is how historically great this draft is for defense, to not take advantage of that even a little bit gives me an uneasy feeling, but even saying that, this draft would be pretty nice. 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This draft class is not consdiered remotely as good as Wentz, Godd, Mahomes, Darnold, etc.  That's why I don;t see the trade up being as sure thing as you seem to.  

As I said, I'd love it.  We could draft O-line without the Pass Rush fans whining about reaches, and we could get multipe high-round picks back to replace the treasure trove spent to get Darnold.

I just don't see it yet.  These QB's would need a hella more hype and combine results to drive that kind of trade up potential.

The comp I use for Haskins I Trubisky.  One full season as starter.  Haskins had much better stats than Trubisky.  I was surprised Trubisky went as high as he did (and that CHI actually moved up a slot to lock it in) but he was considered the 'best' QB (tough call in retrospect) in that class and CHI absolutely needed to draft a QB.  NYG, JAX and MIA (and probably WAS) should all be locked in on QB.  Foles is a wild card that could take one off the board.  But if you don't move up for Haskins and miss out, you are looking at Murray, who is not going to get any taller by April, or a bunch of guys who aren't nearly as well-regarded as even Watson and Mahomes were in 2016 when CHI moved up for Trubisky.

Recapping - I don't know squat but history suggests to me that someone is going to move up for Haskins as things stand right now, and our pick should be on the table.  Only question is, will ARI or SF want to play as well.

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The comp I use for Haskins I Trubisky.  One full season as starter.  Haskins had much better stats than Trubisky.  I was surprised Trubisky went as high as he did (and that CHI actually moved up a slot to lock it in) but he was considered the 'best' QB (tough call in retrospect) in that class and CHI absolutely needed to draft a QB.  NYG, JAX and MIA (and probably WAS) should all be locked in on QB.  Foles is a wild card that could take one off the board.  But if you don't move up for Haskins and miss out, you are looking at Murray, who is not going to get any taller by April, or a bunch of guys who aren't nearly as well-regarded as even Watson and Mahomes were in 2016 when CHI moved up for Trubisky.

Recapping - I don't know squat but history suggests to me that someone is going to move up for Haskins as things stand right now, and our pick should be on the table.  Only question is, will ARI or SF want to play as well.

Why did Chicago absolutely need a QB?  They had just signed Villain's long necked friend to a very large deal.  They were better poised to wait for the 2018 "Year of the QB" than...say the Jets, or SF.  Among others.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

Ok.

Jacksonville would only have to trade up to pick #5 to be ahead of all the other teams likely/potentially drafting a QB in round 1 in 2019, barring other trade ups.

Those other teams would have to jump to 5 or higher if they wanted the top QB.

With that said, none of the QB prospects in this cycle (to-date) are considered top 5 type prospects/picks.  

The market for QB would have to get hyped materially to foment the type of bidding war that would have someone trade as high as #3 for a QB. 

I don't see it.   At least one team will fill it's gap with Foles.  The others may be content to see who will fall to them, because this appears 9at this early date) to be a "QB's available in the middle of round 1" type draft class.  

After the combine they’ll be at least two QBs that teams will want. If someone wants one bad enough they’ll trade with whoever gives them the best chance of getting him. 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It would be a big time draft for sure but like you said with the QB prospects coming out the next two years I find it hard to believe that teams are going to give up the 2020/2021 capital... I've heard rumblings some believe as many as 3 qbs can go top 10 this year and that teams are higher than you'd think on the talent. I dont see it, but I've been wrong before on teams intentions.  I really want to see these qbs a little more, jones from duke at the senior bowl will be interesting as I think he has Mitch Trubisky riser potential.

One thing that keeps sticking in my mind is how historically great this draft is for defense, to not take advantage of that even a little bit gives me an uneasy feeling, but even saying that, this draft would be pretty nice. 

I've seen similar things on social media, and it's not even worth an lol... Teams haven't even met with the QBs yet, prodays, combine, etc -- but we're to believe that teams have already elevated QBs from freaking Duke into the top 10? 

fack. *eyeroll*

This draft is way more EJ Manuel/Geno than it is Mayfield/Darnold. 

And if i'm a GM, and my job is riding on figuring out the QB position -- you think I'm going to mortgage the next two drafts to move up for Haskins or Murray? With guys like Tua around the corner? 

Cmon.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've seen similar things on social media, and it's not even worth an lol... Teams haven't even met with the QBs yet, prodays, combine, etc -- but we're to believe that teams have already elevated QBs from freaking Duke into the top 10? 

fack. *eyeroll*

This draft is way more EJ Manuel/Geno than it is Mayfield/Darnold. 

And if i'm a GM, and my job is riding on figuring out the QB position -- you think I'm going to mortgage the next two drafts to move up for Haskins or Murray? With guys like Tua around the corner? 

Cmon.

Like i said, i dont see it, i cant imagine with the QB talent coming out in the next two years teams are going to be jumping up to grab haskins or jones... I can see one team being desperate and maybe making a play, but id tend to lean towards no one wanting to trade up.  

This is baring someone falling in love in the predraft process or one of these kids absolutely killing workouts. It's a long way away to know for sure, but i wouldnt bet on us trading down from 3 and i wouldnt bet that player at 3 being an OFF player. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think you guys (that camp of thought) are 100% way off base. 

• Look at the EJ Manuel/Geno draft for similarities in quality of QB talent... look at how that played out. 
  • Lamar Jackson is better than every QB prospect in this draft, and he barely went #32
  • Nobody with longterm uncertainty is going to take themselves out of the Tua/Lawrence sweepstakes for Haskins. Would you? 
  • There's enough Bridgewaters and Flaccos to go around to bandaide a team (even if they draft a Lock, or Murray) and still keep their options open.
  • You severely understimate how good/heralded Tua Tagovailoa or Trevor Lawrence are if you think teams aren't looking ahead.

I know we all WANT to have that scenario play out, but JAX (the ONLY option) trading up with for Haskins?... Tom C is gonna pull the trigger on that?... maybe for a 2nd round pick and a trouble maker. Forget getting any 2020 draft capital IMO

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Like i said, i dont see it, i cant imagine with the QB talent coming out in the next two years teams are going to be jumping up to grab haskins or jones... I can see one team being desperate and maybe making a play, but id tend to lean towards no one wanting to trade up.  

This is baring someone falling in love in the predraft process or one of these kids absolutely killing workouts. It's a long way away to know for sure, but i wouldnt bet on us trading down from 3 and i wouldnt bet that player at 3 being an OFF player. 

Yea i hear you. 

If i'm a GM of JAX/NYG/WSH etc, i'm trying to sign Flacco, Bridgewater, and I'll take a chance on a QB in the draft, sure. But i ain't throwing away the currency i may need to move up next year or the year after. Not a chance. 

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think you guys (that camp of thought) are 100% way off base. 

• Look at the EJ Manuel/Geno draft for similarities in quality of QB talent... look at how that played out. 
  • Lamar Jackson is better than every QB prospect in this draft, and he barely went #32
  • Nobody with longterm uncertainty is going to take themselves out of the Tua/Lawrence sweepstakes for Haskins. Would you? 
  • There's enough Bridgewaters and Flaccos to go around to bandaide a team (even if they draft a Lock, or Murray) and still keep their options open.
  • You severely understimate how good/heralded Tua Tagovailoa or Trevor Lawrence are if you think teams aren't looking ahead.

I know we all WANT to have that scenario play out, but JAX (the ONLY option) trading up with for Haskins?... Tom C is gonna pull the trigger on that?... maybe for a 2nd round pick and a trouble maker. Forget getting any 2020 draft capital IMO

You could, if you squint a little, use the same logic on why it would make no sense to trade up for Watson or Mahomes because of all the great talent coming out the following year.  I don't know why teams do what they do.  But they almost always seem to do it. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You could, if you squint a little, use the same logic on why it would make no sense to trade up for Watson or Mahomes because of all the great talent coming out the following year.  I don't know why teams do what they do.  But they almost always seem to do it. 

I need you to understand that you're talking about an Atlantic sized difference talent. I'm already (seriously) giving leverage to the "anything can happen" mentality by accepting that 1 or 2 may end up going in the first round at all... 

But to trade up? 

you're just stacking the "unlikelys" on top of each other IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I need you to understand that you're talking about an Atlantic sized difference talent. I'm already (seriously) giving leverage to the "anything can happen" mentality by accepting that 1 or 2 may end up going in the first round at all... 

But to trade up? 

you're just stacking the "unlikelys" on top of each other IMO. 

You're using that certainty that only madmen have which allows for no possibility of being wrong.  I'll bow out of this discussion until the draft.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You're using that certainty that only madmen have which allows for no possibility of being wrong.  I'll bow out of this discussion until the draft.

Now now, don’t get your vagina in a wrinkle. I said IMO. I left the door open by saying that IF jax fell in love with Haskins and felt he was worth trading up for, then I wouldn’t expect anything in the form 2020 draft capital. 

Bookmark this. If I’m wrong, I will officially STFU with making “entitled” prognostications of this sort 

44 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yea i hear you. 

If i'm a GM of JAX/NYG/WSH etc, i'm trying to sign Flacco, Bridgewater, and I'll take a chance on a QB in the draft, sure. But i ain't throwing away the currency i may need to move up next year or the year after. Not a chance. 

I feel like this is 2017 all over again.  Everyone is screaming, waiting till next years QB class and someone is going to blow it and miss out on a Mahomes/Watson type whether that's Haskins/Murphy is TBD but there is sooo much buzz about next year and why?  Because of Tua?  Herbert?  Are they even good?  The only QB in college that would make me salivate right now isnt available for another 2 years. 

Good thing is, we're Jets fans and dont have to worry about QB.

That was so weird to type. 

Archived