Schefter: Rex in consideration for KC DC

Lizard King

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LES said:

Chiefs had more sacks and takeaways than any other team and still finished 31st in team defense. SMH ??‍♂️ 

Only because their opponents were always playing catch-up. We see what happened when it mattered most. Pats scored TDs on their finally 3 drives I believe. If KC holds them even to a field goal on 1 of those drives they win. Rex and Andy Reid are a good combo. He’s one guy Rex could coach under. Don’t think Rex could coach under a Kliff Kingsbury. But an Andy Reid. Yep. 

17 minutes ago, LES said:

Chiefs had more sacks and takeaways than any other team and still finished 31st in team defense. SMH ??‍♂️ 

With the Chiefs scoring so many points it allows the opponents offense more opportunities to rack up yardage.  This also plays into the defense getting more chances for sacks and picks.   

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

With the Chiefs scoring so many points it allows the opponents offense more opportunities to rack up yardage.  This also plays into the defense getting more chances for sacks and picks.   

True BUT their run defense was pathetic. Rex will have a good impact on that D. 

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He was listed as a "name to watch" which sounds to me like Rex is floating his own name like he has for other openings. I'd be very surprised if KC hired him.

Or you forgot to read all of the sudden. teams has been approaching Rex? It should be the other way I will be surprise if Rex take that job.  

Rex Ryan, who has been approached about other DC openings in recent seasons.

I like Rex and I think his defenses are better than he is given credit around here now.  That being said, I do not think this is a dream job.  That is an offensive team.  They aren't suddenly dumping a ton of resources back on the D, they are going to pass like crazy and not eat clock.  WIth the pace they play, even good defenses will surrender points and yards.  Rex is not going to like that.  It is why I wanted him to take some time off after he left the Jets and not run up for the Buffalo job.  He needed to learn to think like a head coach and not a DC.  I don't see this job as helping him get back, though working with Reid could probably only help him. 

Archived