NFL sued over blown call during NFC Championship game

joewilly12

NFL sued over blown call during NFC Championship game

January 22, 2019 | 2:08pm

Modal Trigger
Nickell Robey-Coleman and Tommylee Lewis
Getty Images

Frank D’Amico Jr. filed the suit with the Civil District Court of Orleans Parish on behalf of Saints season-ticket holders, saying NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has the power to put time back on the clock and allow the game to resume.

The Saints appeared to have the game in hand near the end of regulation when Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman delivered a helmet-to-helmet haymaker to Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis before the ball arrived.

If the penalty had been called, the Saints would likely have won the game. Instead, they lost in overtime 26-23.

“It’s a judgment call by the officials. I personally have not seen the play,” referee Bill Vinovich said after the blatant pass interference seen around the globe.

D’Amico is asking the NFL to enforce Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1 in the NFL Rulebook that he says “could, in the right circumstances, allow the commissioner to take extreme action in the face of a grossly unfair result,” according to WDSU in Louisiana.

The lawyer issued a press release that apparently copied and pasted extensively from a Pro Football Talk article on the matter.

“Even though Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman admits that he opted to wipe out Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis because Robey-Coleman believed he’d been beaten for touchdown, it’s hard not to imagine this being the kind of ‘extraordinarily unfair’ act that would have a major effect on the outcome of the game,” he wrote.

“Then again, the rule is there for a reason; if ever it would be invoked, wouldn’t now be the time to do it? And here’s where it gets even juicier, Consider Rule 17, Article 3: ‘The commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include … the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred,’” he continued.

“Basically, the Commissioner has the power to turn back time to the spot of the penalty that wasn’t called, put the teams back on the field from that point in the game, give the Saints first-and-goal at the spot of the foul, put 1:49 on the clock, and let the game proceed, tied at 20, with the Rams having one timeout left.

“It isn’t inconceivable that it would happen, but even if it is, then why does the rulebook even allow for this type of an approach?

“And maybe that’s why the league is wrestling with the language of its expected statement acknowledging the error. Maybe the league realizes that, depending on the specific words chosen, the door to a Rule 17 proceeding could inadvertently be kicked open.”

A Lafayette law firm separately has informed the NFL that litigation over the game’s outcome may be imminent.

“At present, a large asterisk sits next to the title NFC champions. Allowing the status quo to stand is a ‘black eye’ on the history and integrity of the game which you have been entrusted to preserve and protect,” a joint statement from the attorneys said, according to WDSU.

D’Amico acknowledged that the NFL could probably do nothing about the blown call.

“Bad calls happen. Sometimes, bad calls have bigger consequences than others,” he said in a statement Tuesday.

image.gif

The call was terrible, but if that Saints receiver didnt drop a TD on their first drive of the game, this probably wouldnt be a discussion. 

Everyone knows that "Ref Ball" is part of the NFL, has been for about 15 years at least. Folks need to accept that fact when they're going as far as this. 

Should the commish turn back time to the draft everytime my team drafted a bust? Ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The call was terrible, but if that Saints receiver didnt drop a TD on their first drive of the game, this probably wouldnt be a discussion. 

Everyone knows that "Ref Ball" is part of the NFL, has been for about 15 years at least. Folks need to accept that fact when they're going as far as this. 

Should the commish turn back time to the draft everytime my team drafted a bust? Ridiculous. 

This team would surely destroy any such time machine with the amount of busts that we draft. 

I doubt very seriously the plaintiff has a legal leg to stand on, but that was one of the most severely egregious missed calls that any fan base should have to suffer through. I DO think Goodell should have acted, but there's really nothing that can be done now.

I think it’s ridiculous BUT it’s possible that the courts could order the game to be continued from that point on if there is such a rule and power given to the commissioner. Now I’m not a lawer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Your comparing apples to gall stones there brother. 

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I doubt very seriously the plaintiff has a legal leg to stand on, but that was one of the most severely egregious missed calls that any fan base should have to suffer through. I DO think Goodell should have acted, but there's really nothing that can be done now.

I’m sure we could easily pick out a half dozen equally egregious calls that went against the Jets over the years. Difference being of course, the consequences. A bad call is a bad call, the consequences don’t make it worse or better. The interesting thing here is the Saints’ expectation of being treated fairly. It’s like they just joined the NFL or something. Just goes to show how uneven the officiating is when one team freaks out over being treated this way, while another (us) finds it just another day at the office. 

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I think it’s ridiculous BUT it’s possible that the courts could order the game to be continued from that point on if there is such a rule and power given to the commissioner. Now I’m not a lawer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

Not possible

2 hours ago, Xtina said:

I’m sure we could easily pick out a half dozen equally egregious calls that went against the Jets over the years. Difference being of course, the consequences. A bad call is a bad call, the consequences don’t make it worse or better. The interesting thing here is the Saints’ expectation of being treated fairly. It’s like they just joined the NFL or something. Just goes to show how uneven the officiating is when one team freaks out over being treated this way, while another (us) finds it just another day at the office. 

Saints beat the Jets in NJ last time the played here.   Key play of the game was a horrible roughing the passer call on Mo when Brees ducked down and came up crying to the refs.  He got the call, 15 yards and the 1st to set up the win.  Happens, like you said, to everyone.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

no but they should use it as a learning point going forward. the camera footage is so good now that it’s a bad look for the refs to be missing calls that every fan can see on replay. they should have a judge in the box plugged into the camera feeds that can call official reviews in egregious cases to avoid making it a coach decision. and refs wouldn’t have to worry about “make up” calls anymore either 

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I know but if that happen to the Jets I would honestly probably need the sedation and stuff. 

At least the saints won one this century, if that was the jets Sunday, I don’t know what I’d do, probably break the tv and or my hand, I’d also probably say I’d never watch the nfl again I would be so turned off to the league but then like the nfl always does I’d probably get sucked right back in some how, some way. I do know one thing, the last thing I’d do is worry about suing the NFL

come to think of it. Thank god it wasn’t the jets 

The Judge would just slide in the tape of the missed face mask grab on Goff which would have put the ball on the 1 yard line pretty much guaranteeing 7 points. Instead the Rams kicked a FG, lost 4 points. Sh*t happens. 

Happens to the Jets seemingly EVERY GAME, so I have no sympathy for the Saints.

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

At least the saints won one this century, if that was the jets Sunday, I don’t know what I’d do, probably break the tv and or my hand, I’d also probably say I’d never watch the nfl again I would be so turned off to the league but then like the nfl always does I’d probably get sucked right back in some how, some way. I do know one thing, the last thing I’d do is worry about suing the NFL

come to think of it. Thank god it wasn’t the jets 

Yep, you would need the sedation and probably some quiet time. 

Archived