Antonio Brown or Leonard Williams trade? Where Jets offseason goes from here

Gas2No99

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan

January 21, 2019 | 11:17pm

With the search for their new head coach completed, the Jets will begin the 2019 offseason in earnest this week.

It is a two-pronged approach right now. New coach Adam Gase is working to build his coaching staff. At the same time, general manager Mike Maccagnan and the personnel staff will be in Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl, which is the kickoff to draft season and a mini-NFL convention.

Gase has already hired Gregg Williams as his defensive coordinator and retained special teams coach Brant Boyer. Pro Football Talk reported he has hired Frank Pollack as the new offensive line coach. Gase hinted last week in interviews that he is waiting for some assistants under contract with other teams to come free. He may be referring to members of his former staff with the Dolphins. It is known he wants to bring offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains to the Jets. But Miami does not have to let those assistants out of their contracts and may be waiting until they can officially hire new coach Brian Flores to see if he wishes to retain any of them.

As for Maccagnan, he heads to Alabama to start another huge offseason. Last year, he was charged with finding a quarterback, and it appears he succeeded by drafting Sam Darnold with the No. 3 overall pick. This year, he needs to round out the roster around Darnold.

The prospects at the Senior Bowl are not the blue-chip players who will go in the top 10 of the draft. Whomever the Jets end up picking third in April is almost certainly not at the Senior Bowl. However, the Jets have five other draft picks and the Senior Bowl is a crucial part of the evaluation process to determine whom to take in the draft. Maccagnan and his staff will be interviewing players, watching practices and looking for who catches their eye. Defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd, the Jets’ third-round pick last year, helped his draft stock last year during Senior Bowl week by practicing well against stronger competition than he faced in college at Fort Hays State.

Maccagnan is entering his fifth season as Jets GM without a playoff appearance. Todd Bowles is gone and Maccagnan is left behind with the bull’s-eye on him. He must improve the talent on the roster this year if he wants to remain as the team’s GM.

“We just had the anniversary of the Super Bowl for 50 years the other day,” Maccagnan said last week. “Our focus is to try to build this correctly to try to be as competitive and successful as we possibly can.”

The other aspect of the Senior Bowl beyond what happens on the field is what takes place at the hotels, bars and restaurants around town. Teams talk and informal trade talks can start here. Last year, the Jets began talking to the Colts about trading up to No. 3 during Senior Bowl week.

This year, the Jets could start feeling out the Steelers to see what an Antonio Brown trade might look like. It is early in the process, so nothing is likely to happen this soon, but the seeds can be planted. Other teams may be curious about how the Jets feel toward Leonard Williams, who is entering the final year of his contract. Would the Jets be willing to listen to offers for their 2015 first-round pick?

After this week, the Jets will be preparing for free agency, which begins March 13. They have some decisions to make on their own players first. It starts with center Spencer Long, who struggled in 2018. He has a $3 million roster bonus due Feb. 6, so the Jets likely will have to make a decision before then about whether to hold on to him.

Once they decide on some of their own free agents, the Jets can focus on other teams’ free agents. The Jets have about $100 million in salary-cap space. Will they chase Steelers star running back Le’Veon Bell? Can they find a pass rusher?

We want to get to the finish line as quick as we can, but we also understand that you have to balance it and try not to mortgage the future and things like that,” Maccagnan said. “So a lot of times, although we’ll be aggressive in free agency, we’re going to try to make smart decisions that are going to set this team up for both short- and long-term success.” That process takes another step this week.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Antonio brown would be an awful pickup.  He has tons of milage, is small and has a horrible attitude.  This would be an all time bad trade.

I dont believe the jets have any interest in this guy.

it's the jets - of course they have interest in him.  i'm torn on the thought of brown because he is such a difference maker.  as for mileage - he's only missed 15 games in his whole career - and minus his rookie season he's gone over 1000 yds in all but 1 of them.  he's a huge talent - i just don't want to give up a first rounder for him if they do make a move for him.

32 minutes ago, heymangold said:

it's the jets - of course they have interest in him.  i'm torn on the thought of brown because he is such a difference maker.  as for mileage - he's only missed 15 games in his whole career - and minus his rookie season he's gone over 1000 yds in all but 1 of them.  he's a huge talent - i just don't want to give up a first rounder for him if they do make a move for him.

He should go to a team that is in the SB hunt not rebuilding. Maybe New England or the Colts. Obviously Pitt isn’t making these trades unless they get a great offer. 

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

January 21, 2019 | 11:17pm

With the search for their new head coach completed, the Jets will begin the 2019 offseason in earnest this week.

It is a two-pronged approach right now. New coach Adam Gase is working to build his coaching staff. At the same time, general manager Mike Maccagnan and the personnel staff will be in Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl, which is the kickoff to draft season and a mini-NFL convention.

Gase has already hired Gregg Williams as his defensive coordinator and retained special teams coach Brant Boyer. Pro Football Talk reported he has hired Frank Pollack as the new offensive line coach. Gase hinted last week in interviews that he is waiting for some assistants under contract with other teams to come free. He may be referring to members of his former staff with the Dolphins. It is known he wants to bring offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains to the Jets. But Miami does not have to let those assistants out of their contracts and may be waiting until they can officially hire new coach Brian Flores to see if he wishes to retain any of them.

As for Maccagnan, he heads to Alabama to start another huge offseason. Last year, he was charged with finding a quarterback, and it appears he succeeded by drafting Sam Darnold with the No. 3 overall pick. This year, he needs to round out the roster around Darnold.

The prospects at the Senior Bowl are not the blue-chip players who will go in the top 10 of the draft. Whomever the Jets end up picking third in April is almost certainly not at the Senior Bowl. However, the Jets have five other draft picks and the Senior Bowl is a crucial part of the evaluation process to determine whom to take in the draft. Maccagnan and his staff will be interviewing players, watching practices and looking for who catches their eye. Defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd, the Jets’ third-round pick last year, helped his draft stock last year during Senior Bowl week by practicing well against stronger competition than he faced in college at Fort Hays State.

Maccagnan is entering his fifth season as Jets GM without a playoff appearance. Todd Bowles is gone and Maccagnan is left behind with the bull’s-eye on him. He must improve the talent on the roster this year if he wants to remain as the team’s GM.

“We just had the anniversary of the Super Bowl for 50 years the other day,” Maccagnan said last week. “Our focus is to try to build this correctly to try to be as competitive and successful as we possibly can.”

The other aspect of the Senior Bowl beyond what happens on the field is what takes place at the hotels, bars and restaurants around town. Teams talk and informal trade talks can start here. Last year, the Jets began talking to the Colts about trading up to No. 3 during Senior Bowl week.

This year, the Jets could start feeling out the Steelers to see what an Antonio Brown trade might look like. It is early in the process, so nothing is likely to happen this soon, but the seeds can be planted. Other teams may be curious about how the Jets feel toward Leonard Williams, who is entering the final year of his contract. Would the Jets be willing to listen to offers for their 2015 first-round pick?

After this week, the Jets will be preparing for free agency, which begins March 13. They have some decisions to make on their own players first. It starts with center Spencer Long, who struggled in 2018. He has a $3 million roster bonus due Feb. 6, so the Jets likely will have to make a decision before then about whether to hold on to him.

Once they decide on some of their own free agents, the Jets can focus on other teams’ free agents. The Jets have about $100 million in salary-cap space. Will they chase Steelers star running back Le’Veon Bell? Can they find a pass rusher?

We want to get to the finish line as quick as we can, but we also understand that you have to balance it and try not to mortgage the future and things like that,” Maccagnan said. “So a lot of times, although we’ll be aggressive in free agency, we’re going to try to make smart decisions that are going to set this team up for both short- and long-term success.” That process takes another step this week.

Says Nothing speaks again

I can see a few of he view points of people on here but as a player and the impact he would have on the team:

Antonio Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leo Williams

The guy had a career high in tds last year, 15, 1300 yards, he has caught over 100 balls in 6 straight years.

Attitude worries?  Fine but anyone dissing him impact wise to an underachieving DT is looney tunes.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can see a few of he view points of people on here but as a player and the impact he would have on the team:

Antonio Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leo Williams

The guy had a career high in tds last year, 15, 1300 yards, he has caught over 100 balls in 6 straight years.

Attitude worries?  Fine but anyone dissing him impact wise to an underachieving DT is looney tunes. 

The age gap is a significant argument to be made.  If Leo turns things around under Gregg Williams, we could reap those benefits for a long time, even under future DC's. 

By the time we're even close to being ready to contend for a Super Bowl (if that ever happens), Antonio Brown will be gone or significantly less effective than he is right now.

And historically, when the Steelers are ready to move on from someone, they've been right to do so roughly 99 % of the time, and the timing of making that decision is usually perfect.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The age gap is a significant argument to be made.  If Leo turns things around under Gregg Williams, we could reap those benefits for a long time, even under future DC's. 

By the time we're even close to being ready to contend for a Super Bowl (if that ever happens), Antonio Brown will be gone or significantly less effective than he is right now.

And historically, when the Steelers are ready to move on from someone, they've been right to do so roughly 99 % of the time, and the timing of making that decision is usually perfect.

If you analyzed NFL trades over the last 10 years (players for picks), who would you think comes out ahead?

I think paying for a high pick for a veteran player most often turns out to be a loser.  

The Steelers may need to get comfortable getting little if anything for Brown.  

Whether the Jets keep Leo or try to get something for him is another story.  I think the Seahawks regret trading a second round pick for SR.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

brown certainly wore out his welcome in pittsburgh but then again his feud is with rothelisberger and i suspect big ben is a bit of a pr&&k.

From what I've read it isn't just with Ben, it's with the whole team cause they didn't vote him team MVP.  Jets should pass on this guy

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

If you analyzed NFL trades over the last 10 years (players for picks), who would you think comes out ahead?

I think paying for a high pick for a veteran player most often turns out to be a loser.  

The Steelers may need to get comfortable getting little if anything for Brown.  

Whether the Jets keep Leo or try to get something for him is another story.  I think the Seahawks regret trading a second round pick for SR. 

Which is why I ultimately think they do what they can to "appease" him a bit, at least for one more year.  His contract is certainly a big turnoff for most teams, limiting the places they could deal him.

If not, however, they'll take what they can get.  But it will be on their terms, not Antonio's.  The Le'Veon situation was further proof that the Steelers never let one player hold the organization hostage. 

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Of course AB is > Williams, that's not a question.

Switching to a 4-3 means we're going to need to dump resources into building that front. We need a mike, a sam, a DE, and depth at most positions in the front 7. We probably won't be able to make that transition in one off season as it is. Trading away one of the pieces we actually have compounds that issue.

Well the Leo Williams of last year is very easily replaced.  Yeah he is young and we do not need to shed Dlineman but how much is it going to cost to keep an average dlineman?

I will not be upset if we do keep him.  Under a real DC he can be much better but the I still maintain the difference in what he brings vs what brown would bring there is a huge gap.

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But he's small lol

29 minutes ago, flgreen said:

From what I've read it isn't just with Ben, it's with the whole team cause they didn't vote him team MVP.  Jets should pass on this guy

well, brown certainly isn't the mvp of the steelers, especially since they didn't make the playoffs. i agree on staying away from this guy.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You want to trade a 24 year old DT that’s going to be playing in a new system that’s prefect for him with a new aggressive DC for a 30 year old WR?

Leo could easily be replaced by signing someone like Sheldon Richardson or Bennie Logan.  Brown has 3-4 years left as a top WR.  I wouldn’t even consider Leo to be “good” let alone elite at his position 

Problem is Steelers will want Leo plus the 3rd pick overall — F that

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

well, brown certainly isn't the mvp of the steelers, especially since they didn't make the playoffs. i agree on staying away from this guy.

Plus he was the 2nd best receiver on his team this year.

A lot of that is all the attention Brown gets from DB's.  But still.  He's gotten a lot of attention the last several years and still put up awesome numbers.  This season was different. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus he was the 2nd best receiver on his team this year.

A lot of that is all the attention Brown gets from DB's.  But still.  He's gotten a lot of attention the last several years and still put up awesome numbers.  This season was different. 

Brown can still play.  I remember people declaring Jerry Rice was done at age 38 then he went Oakland had another good 3 years and would have won another super bowl if it wasn’t for the made up tuck rule

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I just don't see how we have the assets to go after Brown. I think I could be talked into Brown but I don't think he is a good personality to have around Sam.

As for the assets we could probably trade #3 for #20 + AB. We'd still have a first round pick, maybe even in a better position to take a position of need for better value. 

I don't know what the deal is with his personality, but something sure stinks in Pittsburgh and this isn't an isolated incident. AB is known as one of the hardest working players in the league which is something that Gase loves and I think could be a great thing to rub off on other players.

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You want to trade a 24 year old DT that’s going to be playing in a new system that’s prefect for him with a new aggressive DC for a 30 year old WR?

Why does his age matter?  Williams is getting $14M+ and he is not under contract for 2020.  I think they make basically the same amount for 2019 and Brown is under team control for an additional 2 years.

Archived