Bucs SLB Devante Bond (25)
Colts CB Chris Milton (26)
Bears TE Ben Braunecker (25)
Bills CB Lafayette Pitts (26)
Seahawks FB Tre Madden (25)
Bucs TE/FB Alan Cross (25)
Browns TE/FB Orson Charles (28)

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see a lot of people on here who don't want to pay for guys like LeVeon Belll, Antonio Brown & Jadeveon Clowney, none of which are terrible players. Pretty sure those are the guys he was referring to.

Brown's under contract and the Jets really don't have much to trade for him outside of the #3 pick in the draft. Bell will make 2-3x more than the next RB on the list, but will not have nearly 2-3x the production. Don't see a lot of people against one of the name pass rushers. 

Looking at that OT list, a bunch of those guys are guards.  Among others Qvale, Sambrailo, The Vikingstried Clemmings at G, not sure if he moved back, but a bust at both.  I think Bushrod had only played G over the past few years - including for Gase.  There are a couple of guys that may be able to play some LT that wouldn't break the bank.  Robinson was a massive bust but flashed at LT for the Browns.  Cameron Fleming played a few games there for the Cowboys and I think he held up okay.  He was on a 1 year $2.5M contract.  Might be someone to make a run at.  The Dolphns tried to move Ju'Waun James last year, but eventually kept him on the 5th year option ($9.5M).  Really belongs on the right and he may be pricey.  Gase presumably likes him. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Brown's under contract and the Jets really don't have much to trade for him outside of the #3 pick in the draft. Bell will make 2-3x more than the next RB on the list, but will not have nearly 2-3x the production. Don't see a lot of people against one of the name pass rushers. 

Brown being under contract is irrelevant to the point. I see people on here balking at the money we'd have to pay him if we traded for him.

Plenty of people in this thread not wanting to pay Clowney

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah... production versus value isn't linear. A 2,500 yard QB is worth a helluva less than half of a 5,000 yard QB. There are a hundred guys who can deliver the former. The latter is a universe of like three.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah... production versus value isn't linear. A 2,500 yard QB is worth a helluva less than half of a 5,000 yard QB. There are a hundred guys who can deliver the former. The latter is a universe of like three.

I hear you, but 1200 rushing yards vs. 1000? 65 catches vs. 55? Because that's more like the differences you're looking at. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I hear you, but 1200 rushing yards vs. 1000? 65 catches vs. 55? Because that's more like the differences you're looking at. 

I lack your ability to see the future. I just want legitimate offensive weapons than give DCs cold sweats. I'm a simple man.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I lack your ability to see the future. I just want legitimate offensive weapons than give DCs cold sweats. I'm a simple man.

Me too. I want a few of them. I'd rather get a RB, WR, and/or a TE for that single RB contract, and have my QB do his thing and spread the ball around. I just think it's the smarter way to do things. How often does landing the top guy in free agency really work out? If the Jets land Bell, I (with my amazing future-seeing capabilities!) predict that we'll be comparing his stats unfavorably to other FA RBs and/or RBs Mac passed on in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Me too. I want a few of them. I'd rather get a RB, WR, and/or a TE for that single RB contract, and have my QB do his thing and spread the ball around. I just think it's the smarter way to do things. How often does landing the top guy in free agency really work out? If the Jets land Bell, I (with my amazing future-seeing capabilities!) predict that we'll be comparing his stats unfavorably to other FA RBs and/or RBs Mac passed on in the draft. 

Well, other than Peyton Manning to Broncos I can't think of any other examples of getting the top FA won a Superbowl in the last two years. ;) 

But of course I respect your position. I just think with a QB on rook contract if there's a time (only time) to be bold in FA it's now.

My preferred targets:

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Wide Receivers
Golden Tate (30)
Randall Cobb (28)
Adam Humphries (25)
Cole Beasley (29)

Running Backs

Le’Veon Bell (27)
Tevin Coleman (25)
Javorius Allen (27)

Offensive Tackles

Ja’Wuan James (26)

Interior Offensive Linemen

Matt Paradis (29)
Rodger Saffold (30)

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Edge Defenders

DeMarcus Lawrence (26)
Jadeveon Clowney (26)
Frank Clark (25)
Dee Ford (28)
Trey Flowers (25)
Za’Darius Smith (26)
Ezekiel Ansah (29)
Shane Ray (25)
Dante Fowler (24)
Eli Harold (25)

If the goal is to contend for the playoffs now, Mike Iupati at guard could be an interesting veteran pickup if he's healthy again.  Would be like the Faneca signing, a guy who's past his prime but still could have good football left in him for another year or two, and would be a good veteran presence.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Larry Fitzgerald re-signed with the Cardinals last night.

larry fitzgerald is/was an excellent receiver who would've been great to get for darnold had this been maybe 3 years ago.  good for him for sticking with his team.  he doesn't seem to be the type who wants the big big money that the other clowns want.

imo they should be looking at the guys coming off their rookie contracts or those that finally made a good splash after being a free agent or bouncing around on 1 year contracts.  that guy humphries has patsies written all over him as edleman's replacement.  an edge guys would be nice but they seem so one dimensional that they can be controlled.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see a lot of people on here who don't want to pay for guys like LeVeon Belll, Antonio Brown & Jadeveon Clowney, none of which are terrible players. Pretty sure those are the guys he was referring to.

Mo wilk, darrelle revis, tru johnson

All awful.

If any of the guys you listed come here and play as advertised no one will complain. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Looking at that OT list, a bunch of those guys are guards.  Among others Qvale, Sambrailo, The Vikingstried Clemmings at G, not sure if he moved back, but a bust at both.  I think Bushrod had only played G over the past few years - including for Gase.  There are a couple of guys that may be able to play some LT that wouldn't break the bank.  Robinson was a massive bust but flashed at LT for the Browns.  Cameron Fleming played a few games there for the Cowboys and I think he held up okay.  He was on a 1 year $2.5M contract.  Might be someone to make a run at.  The Dolphns tried to move Ju'Waun James last year, but eventually kept him on the 5th year option ($9.5M).  Really belongs on the right and he may be pricey.  Gase presumably likes him. 

.Probably bad form to quote myself, but on the tackle-front I should add that Darryl Williams seems like a Maccagnan type pick up.  Guy played well for Carolina in 2017, but had a very bad knee injury in camp last year.  Giants also may look at him because I think he was a Gettelman draft pick. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

For me the sticking point on him is how many years are guaranteed more than how much for the first year or two. I think there's a butterfly effect with some players. I don't think, for special players, there's a straight correlation to $/yard or $/touch. He may only be 20% more productive in stats but that doesn't mean he's therefore 20% more valuable. 

I'm primarily on the fence with him because of the possibility of a 3rd season getting guaranteed on the first calendar day of the 2nd season. (i.e. strictly it's a 1-year deal with $20MM guaranteed but effectively it's a 3-year deal with $45MM guaranteed). If he was a couple years younger, without this many miles, or without any real injury history in the past, I'd care a lot less about even that (e.g. Gurley).

Mostly I think I'm willing to throw value away a bit not only because we have so much to spend, but because I don't believe Maccagnan has the capacity to build a complete, true SB-contender roster anyway. Further, Gase is himself unproven as a HC (other than proving he is similarly incapable of reaching a SB himself when given Jets-like substandard rosters). I figure at least in the meantime before the GM is finally shown the door Darnold can at least develop with greater ease.  This massive amount of cap space and Darnold's cheap years that allow it to stay unnaturally low for 3 more seasons? They're going to flush it down the toilet anyway. 

It's definitely not my style to blow out the cap for a RB position where rushing stats - whether ypc or gross yards - are more closely tied to the performance of others (OL, QB, OC) than it is to the RB himself. For all his skill, Bell has never led the league in any category other than a Martin-like carries/touches stat in 2017 alone, and with it went his prior 5 ypc average. But unlike a Thomas Jones part II, though, Bell is more than just a one-cut guy to hand off to; he's a rare dual-threat back and has an extra year of body-healing that none get without ACL/MCL-rehab reasons. Just like a productive burner WR or strong-armed QB or unafraid OC, such a player keeps the defense honest not just because a conservative HC/OC feeds him the ball a lot, but because he's a major threat for a big gainer any time he touches the ball. We might be able to get 80% or more of his stats for far less than 80% of the cost, but IMO he carries more than 20% more value.

Maybe a more condensed (if not extreme) analysis is look at our 2015 starting QB and NE's. Fitz made ~$3MM and say Brady even at his vastly below-market salary made $13MM. Was Brady 4x as productive as Fitzpatrick? Not even close. If he was market-priced at $21MM would he have been 6x as productive? Even less so. Was he worth 4x or 6x more? You know the answer. 

Ultimately I think the money's going to get flushed down the toilet anyway, and Gase seems less likely than our recent HCs to view a high-priced Bell as a reason to slavishly run him up the gut on every fresh set of downs. Instead (I'd hope) he would use Bell's experience and presence as a tool to open things up for Darnold, who's own salary is unnaturally low for 3 more seasons, and be not just a dangerous runner but a serious receiving threat himself when things don't open up downfield or repeatedly dial up by design outright.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's definitely not my style to blow out the cap for a RB position where rushing stats - whether ypc or gross yards - are more closely tied to the performance of others (OL, QB, OC) than it is to the RB himself. For all his skill, Bell has never led the league in any category other than a Martin-like carries/touches stat in 2017 alone, and with it went his prior 5 ypc average. But unlike a Thomas Jones part II, though, Bell is more than just a one-cut guy to hand off to; he's a rare dual-threat back and has an extra year of body-healing that none get without ACL/MCL-rehab reasons. Just like a productive burner WR or strong-armed QB or unafraid OC, such a player keeps the defense honest not just because a conservative HC/OC feeds him the ball a lot, but because he's a major threat for a big gainer any time he touches the ball. We might be able to get 80% or more of his stats for far less than 80% of the cost, but IMO he carries more than 20% more value.

Maybe a more condensed (if not extreme) analysis is look at our 2015 starting QB and NE's. Fitz made ~$3MM and say Brady even at his vastly below-market salary made $13MM. Was Brady 4x as productive as Fitzpatrick? Not even close. If he was market-priced at $21MM would he have been 6x as productive? Even less so. Was he worth 4x or 6x more? You know the answer. 

Ultimately I think the money's going to get flushed down the toilet anyway, and Gase seems less likely than our recent HCs to view a high-priced Bell as a reason to slavishly run him up the gut on every fresh set of downs. Instead (I'd hope) he would use Bell's experience and presence as a tool to open things up for Darnold, who's own salary is unnaturally low for 3 more seasons, and be not just a dangerous runner but a serious receiving threat himself when things don't open up downfield or repeatedly dial up by design outright.

good points all.  i guess one question about picking up a guy like bell is the team ready for his kind of game.  i think i'd rather them getting their oline and even dline in order before springing  for a guy who is worth more to a true contender.  but who knows.  mac could use the money on someone much worse.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If the Jets were to go more to a Sabermetric type of analysis I wonder how they would rate Tevin Coleman vs. Bell? Production would likely be less but at a fraction of the cost...

9 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

If the Jets were to go more to a Sabermetric type of analysis I wonder how they would rate Tevin Coleman vs. Bell? Production would likely be less but at a fraction of the cost...

Hey, I'm not a huge Bell supporter but Coleman is not in the same galaxy ability wise. I'd support signing Bell than wasting our $$ on a second tier runner like Coleman. This is what Mac did last year when he signed an extremely average Isaiah Crowell.

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

good points all.  i guess one question about picking up a guy like bell is the team ready for his kind of game.  i think i'd rather them getting their oline and even dline in order before springing  for a guy who is worth more to a true contender.  but who knows.  mac could use the money on someone much worse.

Kind of.

If they decide to go in that obvious direction they should be adding no fewer than 3 offensive linemen this year; at least two of whom are sure thing instant veteran starters added from FA. 

Bell is a FA when he's a FA; you can't add a player after he's no longer available. You can only get him when he is, and it's not an option to tell him to wait another year for our GM to finish/complete his latest OL overhaul attempt (this time with draft picks!).

My reason is more the belief (ok, the hope) that he'll help greatly in Darnold's development; not due to an unrealistic idea that we'll be serious SB contenders in the next 2 years absent that development taking major strides. One can point to Goff's strides in year 2, then further in year 3, to lift the team into contention, but he didn't do it with castoff FA Isaiah Crowell and his late-round backups lining up behind him. 

So even if we're straddling 8-8 +/-2 without serious contention, at least we'll be watching fun football with a bright opportunity for any future season through 2035 once players they eventually draft will allow a more balanced team investment in it's more-costly veterans.

For now? Devote the cap space predominantly to surrounding Sam - on the field with him, not for a $10MM washed up player (at his own position) that doesn't play alongside him - for a couple years so he sinks or swims without the usual missing-wepponz excuses. If some of it is wasted, I accept that most would have been wasted anyway.

Archived