If NFL Nation reporters could re-pick the 2018 draft, here's how things would shake out in redraft

Patriot Killa

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really would be fascinating to see what the Giants would do if they could pick again after seeing everyone play a year. I think they'd probably stay with the sure thing in Barkley. I'm not trying to troll here, I'm just not as convinced that Darnold is guaranteed to be the super star most of you are convinced he will be, and I am convinced about Barkley. I also think the Browns are satisfied with the rookie trio of Mayfield QB, Ward CB(probable DROY) and Chubb RB over Mayfield/Barkley, although I have to be honest, if I were them, last year I'd have picked Barkley at 1, then taken whichever QB was left at 4 among Darnold, Allen and Rosen. That would've left Mayfield for the Jets, and left me all warm and fuzzy, LOL. Guess that's why I was never hired as a GM. ?

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

It really would be fascinating to see what the Giants would do if they could pick again after seeing everyone play a year. I think they'd probably stay with the sure thing in Barkley. I'm not trying to troll here, I'm just not as convinced that Darnold is guaranteed to be the super star most of you are convinced he will be, and I am convinced about Barkley. I also think the Browns are satisfied with the rookie trio of Mayfield QB, Ward CB(probable DROY) and Chubb RB over Mayfield/Barkley, although I have to be honest, if I were them, last year I'd have picked Barkley at 1, then taken whichever QB was left at 4 among Darnold, Allen and Rosen. That would've left Mayfield for the Jets, and left me all warm and fuzzy, LOL. Guess that's why I was never hired as a GM. ?

I think that Darnold showed enough good stuff and Eli showed enough bad stuff that they'd take Darnold if they could do it again.

Also, the scary thing is that Rosen was even worse than Allen this year. I'd still draft Rosen > Allen though

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

After watching a year of Darnold the Giants would absolutely take Darnold.  They will have to roll the dice on high draft capital or spend a huge amount of cap space on mediocre free agents hoping to find something that resembles stability at the QB position.  As Jets fans we know the crapshoot they face and I’d rather have a legit young guy like Sam Darnold and try to find a great running back than vice verca.

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think that Darnold showed enough good stuff and Eli showed enough bad stuff that they'd take Darnold if they could do it again.

Also, the scary thing is that Rosen was even worse than Allen this year. I'd still draft Rosen > Allen though

I agree with Rosen over Allen. Good point about Eli, but the potential of the rookies aside, do you really think he played worse then Allen, Rosen and Darnold? Darnold playing with OBJ and the rest of the Giants WRs and TE would've been interesting to watch, that's for sure. That's why I think this thread is a fun thing to talk about

17 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

After watching a year of Darnold the Giants would absolutely take Darnold.  They will have to roll the dice on high draft capital or spend a huge amount of cap space on mediocre free agents hoping to find something that resembles stability at the QB position.  As Jets fans we know the crapshoot they face and I’d rather have a legit young guy like Sam Darnold and try to find a great running back than vice verca.

Or they could just stay where they are, and probably get the top QB in this draft, and certainly no worse then the second best. Again you're assuming a lot with Darnold in thinking he'll automatically become an elite QB. Right now he has the potential to be, but he hasn't separated himself from any of the other rookie QBs. In fact he's behind Mayfield, and whether you like the way he plays or not, possibly Jackson, who revitalized his team and led them to the playoffs. 

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

When we had Sanchez there were things that made you say, he could become really good or he could just stay a JAG.

Same thing with Geno.

But with Darnold, I honestly don't see how someone can watch him even purely objectively and not think that he will almost 100% become a franchise QB and possibly better than that. Without almost any weapons, and with a suspect at best OL, and a doofus head coach, he was one of the best QBs in the NFL the last 4 weeks after he came back from injury.

He had three potential knocks against him in college:

1. Ball security Was VERY bad in college. But he fixed it so well basically instantly that he was the best in the NFL at not fumbling.

2. Elongated release which should cause slow delivery Gone. He has among the fastest releases in the NFL

3. Interceptions He threw a lot. However 2/3 of them were in 3 very bad games, and he had only 1 in his last 4 games, His decision making and decisiveness in the last 4 games suggest that INTs are not likely be a big issue going forward

Add to that: Youth, arm strength, ability to throw on the run, movement in the pocket, packet awareness, decent scramble ability, intelligence, ability to correct flaws almost instantly and then factor in the very poor coaching he got from Bowles and Bates, and a move to an offensive head coach and  I am just not sure how anyone can think, barring injury that Sam will be anything less than a Top 10 QB in the league.

Darnold over Barkley after a year of review is the biggest no brainer since Jordan over Sam Bowie.

And over their careers Darnold will be better than Mayfield, though having him at 1 still is probably correct.

28 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sorry my friend,  but you lost me at the Darnold comment.  I'm not saying this as a Jet fan, but as a football observer.  Darnold is the real deal. I don't see how you can doubt that.  As far as Barkley goes, I am a Penn State fan who saw tons of Barkley in college, love him as a player, and feel that as a pro he is even better than expected.  That being said, the Giants made a big mistake not taking Darnold.  They will regret it.  Only way they deflect some of the damage from that pick is if, they trade up, snag Haskins, and he develops into something close to Sam which frankly, I don't see. Otherwise by the time they fix their QB dilemma they will be.  Otherwise by the time they have an established QB, { post Eli}  they will be four years into the career of a Marquee running back playing a position that has a short shelf life,

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Sorry my friend,  but you lost me at the Darnold comment.  I'm not saying this as a Jet fan, but as a football observer.  Darnold is the real deal. I don't see how you can doubt that.  As far as Barkley goes, I am a Penn State fan who saw tons of Barkley in college, love him as a player, and feel that as a pro he is even better than expected.  That being said, the Giants made a big mistake not taking Darnold.  They will regret it.  Only way they deflect some of the damage from that pick is if, they trade up, snag Haskins, and he develops into something close to Sam which frankly, I don't see. Otherwise by the time they fix their QB dilemma they will be.  Otherwise by the time they have an established QB, { post Eli}  they will be four years into the career of a Marquee running back playing a position that has a short shelf life,

given where the giants are with their qb mess, no doubt they would take darnold with the benefit of hindsight.  and we'd have rosen.  

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

70C8464A-3098-422A-BBFF-E224F9A35412.thumb.jpeg.2e333e44ff61b6bdae1975443ad8b050.jpeg

I feel like I'm living in alternate universe via a tear in the space/time continuum, where the Jets drafted Darnold...

Because that ^^^ right there, is the Jets and reality that i know all too well. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

So, whomever did this, said the Jets got to watch all of 2018 and with Darnold gone, still took Allen?

Come on.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

They obviously think Allen did better than Rosen.

Rich Cimini did the redraft for the JETS on this. I saw the article last night. He said that basically the Jets would have probably selected Rosen this year had Darnold been gone, but after seeing this season and how Allen outperformed Rosen he, Cimini, took Allen.

IMO this is a pretty dumb move. I still think Allen is going to be the worst of the 4 (Mayfield, Sam, Rosen, Allen).

54 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

@joenamathwouldn'tcry We both generally agree on most things, and are both around the same age. We've seen a lot of water under the bridge with this team over the years, and therefore are both likely to take a wait and see approach with young players. I'm genuinely curious, since I rarely leave a negative or butt fumble react, why you left one for the above post. In my mind its a fun thread where we can rehash what teams would do if they had a mulligan in last years draft. I made it a point to say I wasn't trolling, just gave my opinion on how things played out, and said how I wished they would have if I were a GM. No hard feelings my friend, I'm just curious about what made you react... 

EDIT as soon as I posted this I saw your reply above. 

25 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

No problem, I'm glad you took the time to explain. Before I saw this I left a post asking you about your reaction. I'm glad you did, so disregard that post. I respect your view, its a valid position to take. 

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

When we had Sanchez there were things that made you say, he could become really good or he could just stay a JAG.

Same thing with Geno.

But with Darnold, I honestly don't see how someone can watch him even purely objectively and not think that he will almost 100% become a franchise QB and possibly better than that. Without almost any weapons, and with a suspect at best OL, and a doofus head coach, he was one of the best QBs in the NFL the last 4 weeks after he came back from injury.

He had three potential knocks against him in college:

1. Ball security Was VERY bad in college. But he fixed it so well basically instantly that he was the best in the NFL at not fumbling.

2. Elongated release which should cause slow delivery Gone. He has among the fastest releases in the NFL

3. Interceptions He threw a lot. However 2/3 of them were in 3 very bad games, and he had only 1 in his last 4 games, His decision making and decisiveness in the last 4 games suggest that INTs are not likely be a big issue going forward

Add to that: Youth, arm strength, ability to throw on the run, movement in the pocket, packet awareness, decent scramble ability, intelligence, ability to correct flaws almost instantly and then factor in the very poor coaching he got from Bowles and Bates, and a move to an offensive head coach and  I am just not sure how anyone can think, barring injury that Sam will be anything less than a Top 10 QB in the league.

Darnold over Barkley after a year of review is the biggest no brainer since Jordan over Sam Bowie.

And over their careers Darnold will be better than Mayfield, though having him at 1 still is probably correct.

“Darnold, he’s like a cow on ice,’’ Shonka said. “His footwork is all over the place. His feet in the pocket are embarrassing. When you turn the ball over [35 times] in 26 games, you’re intellectually dishonest when you’re talking about bringing in Sam Darnold as your next savior. This guy opens his hands over the ball, it just drops out when he’s in the pocket.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

@joenamathwouldn'tcry We both generally agree on most things, and are both around the same age. We've seen a lot of water under the bridge with this team over the years, and therefore are both likely to take a wait and see approach with young players. I'm genuinely curious, since I rarely leave a negative or butt fumble react, why you left one for the above post. In my mind its a fun thread where we can rehash what teams would do if they had a mulligan in last years draft. I made it a point to say I wasn't trolling, just gave my opinion on how things played out, and said how I wished they would have if I were a GM. No hard feelings my friend, I'm just curious about what made you react...

I didn't want to insult you in any way. I just posted the down vote as a way of saying that I didn't agree.  No slight intended.  I thought that was what a butt fumble was for, not a down vote.  You know I respect your  knowledge and viewpoints.  If it bothers you I will remove it. That being said I think the Website needs a emoji to symbolize that you don't necessarily agree, without the negative connotation that you felt with the down vote.

6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I didn't want to insult you in any way. I just posted the down vote as a way of saying that I didn't agree.  No slight intended.  I thought that was what a butt fumble was for, not a down vote.  You know I respect your  knowledge and viewpoints.  If it bothers you I will remove it. That being said I think the Website needs a emoji to symbolize that you don't necessarily agree, without the negative connotation that you felt with the down vote.

Actually I really like that we both used the term "my friend" simutaneously in both our posts.

42 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Or they could just stay where they are, and probably get the top QB in this draft, and certainly no worse then the second best. Again you're assuming a lot with Darnold in thinking he'll automatically become an elite QB. Right now he has the potential to be, but he hasn't separated himself from any of the other rookie QBs. In fact he's behind Mayfield, and whether you like the way he plays or not, possibly Jackson, who revitalized his team and led them to the playoffs. 

That’s absurd. Not a single NFL GM is taking Lamar Jackson over Darnold. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The problem is, Darnold doesn’t have to be a “superstar” for him to end up being the guy who got away. 

If Darnold is an above-average to very good 10 year starter, the Giants f*cked up.

I thought it came out after the draft that Maccagnan rated Allen fourth out of the four quarterbacks (excluding Lamar Jackson who was never going to be a top five pick). By that logic, had Sam been off the board at #3, he would have taken Rosen at #3.

Allen has seduced a few pundits this season with his mobility and capacity to make plays on the ground, and his poor completion percentage has been excused by the fact he's playing with a broken down LeSean McCoy, Robert Foster and a bunch of scrubs.

To be honest, I think the Bills will extract a good career out of Allen. He has all the physical attributes required to succeed in Buffalo. If the Bills can put some talent around him, he'll be a good QB.

Rosen on the other hand looked terrible in his first season with the Cardinals. But that organisation clearly had a number of issues. From memory, they fired their OC early in the season and then fired their rookie HC at the end of the season. The linemen seemed incapable of run-blocking or pass-blocking. No doubt Rosen's confidence was shredded by the end of the season, compounded by the fact that David Johnson was pretty poor for most of the season, and he only had two receivers worth their roster spots.

Archived