You're running the Jets

derp

Value at the top of the draft doesn't really seem to match your needs.

At the combine Jacksonville approaches you and says they'd like to move up to in the draft if the value is right but they're not totally committed to the idea and it doesn't need to be up to 3. Offer is their pick at 7 and their second rounder at 38. Value of 3 = 2200, 7+38 = 2020. They won't give anything else and you haven't received a better offer. They need to know before free agency starts. Do you take it?

Edit:

For those who say no before FA. Draft goes Bosa, Allen. Jags call. Same offer.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, grudgingly, if no other offers exist.

Draft the Best-in-draft O-Lineman at a "more appropriate" #7, and get an additional O-player (RB, WR, Another O-Line) for Darnold in the 2nd.

Pass Rush obsessives will have to wait till another draft to pick the next D-Rob or Ghost or Richardson or Meh Williams.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

At the combine Jacksonville approaches you and says they'd like to move up to in the draft if the value is right but they're not totally committed to the idea and it doesn't need to be up to 3. Offer is their pick at 7 and their second rounder at 38. Value of 3 = 2200, 7+38 = 2020. They won't give anything else and you haven't received a better offer. They need to know before free agency starts. Do you take it?

I don't take it until I'm on the clock and see who is available.  If the Jets are sitting at #3 and Nick Bosa is still on the Board then Jax better come up with 2900 points.

Yes, grudgingly, if no other offers exist.
Draft the Best-in-draft O-Lineman at a "more appropriate" #7, and get an additional O-player (RB, WR, Another O-Line) for Darnold in the 2nd.
Pass Rush obsessives will have to wait till another draft to pick the next D-Rob or Ghost or Richardson or Meh Williams.
You just gave the jaguars a deal allowing them beat the value chart the giants lost the qb they were going to draft just took the best offensive line prospect a pick ahead of you. Explain yourself to the media?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, derp said:

No. I tell them to call me back when the Jets are on the clock at 3. I'm not being pressured into trading the 3 pick for a lesser value.

15 minutes ago, derp said:

F*ck em. They’re all on a short leash in Jacksonville and holding on to future picks won’t be their primary concern. At 3 you’re getting either Allen or Bosa most likely, so it’s better to hold onto the pick and see what happens at 1 and 2. If Allen and Bosa are both gone and you don’t want Quinnen Williams, then you hold someone up for the rights to Haskins

Not even a consideration. If they want the pick before free agency, they need to pay a premium, not expect to get it for a discount. I'll wait and listen to offers from them or other teams who failed to meet their needs thru free agency closer to the draft. 

46 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

You just gave the jaguars a deal allowing them beat the value chart the giants lost the qb they were going to draft just took the best offensive line prospect a pick ahead of you. Explain yourself to the media?

"Hey Manish, Eat the corn from my sheeeeeeit"..........Mic Drop, exit stage right.

I run the team, results matter, not words.  If I fail, I'm fired.

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Tony Romo "any time belicheat goes up against a #1 ranked offense in the playoffs he attacks it with inside pressure" 

Jets fans :" we don't need a guy that can give us inside pressure "? ? ? ? 

We need to protect our QB before we worry about going after other teams. 

57 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We got a great OT prospect and tomorrow we are going to pick another prospect that’s high up on our boards so we’re very happy. 

If we're truly making a shift to a 4-3 Defense, then i'm not nearly as attached to Josh Allen as I was. I take the trade, draft WR DK Metcalf at #7, and use the 2nd rounder to address the Oline where the talent will meet the value nicely. 

Didn’t we give up 3 second round picks last year to move up to 3 from 6?  So a year later we move from 3 to 7 and only get 1 second round pick out of it.  No way I do that. I get that last year was “the year of the quarterback” draft but in this scenario Jacksonville would be moving up for a qb as well.  I’d expect much much more in return. 

13 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Didn’t we give up 3 second round picks last year to move up to 3 from 6?  So a year later we move from 3 to 7 and only get 1 second round pick out of it.  No way I do that. I get that last year was “the year of the quarterback” draft but in this scenario Jacksonville would be moving up for a qb as well.  I’d expect much much more in return. 

You need to understand that 2018 was an all time great draft. The third pick last year is 2x more valuable than the third pick this year.

28 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You need to understand that 2018 was an all time great draft. The third pick last year is 2x more valuable than the third pick this year.

But if they are trading up that means they are very high on one of the quarterbacks. Regardless how many so called “elite qbs” there are in the draft or not. They are doing pretty much the same exact thing we did last year.  Just my opinion. I couldn’t do it.  Also they wouldn’t trade up to 3 in the off season like we did as they would need to see if the qb they liked fell. They couldn’t risk the giants,raiders or some other team jumping ahead of them after they traded with us. When we traded up last year before the draft that was unusual but Mac obviously like three of the quarter backs enough to take the chance. Any trades would happen day of the draft and I’d expect 7, 38, and next years first round in return. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

If we're truly making a shift to a 4-3 Defense, then i'm not nearly as attached to Josh Allen as I was. I take the trade, draft WR DK Metcalf at #7, and use the 2nd rounder to address the Oline where the talent will meet the value nicely. 

Depending on how he measures, and I’ve seen him listed at 6’6, 260....he’d be a legit DE in a 40 front.

put him and Dee Ford bookcapping a DL with Pennel or McClendon at NT and Leo at DT, rotating with Henry Anderson.  We good. 

If I make the trade for Jacksonville's #7 pick and their second rounder, I would make another trade. I would trade the #7 pick again for more picks. I would be asking for next years first rounder or another second and third rounder for this years draft. 

This is the chance for the Jets to help themselves by gaining more draft picks to build any area they need.

If I make the trade for Jacksonville's #7 pick and their second rounder, I would make another trade. I would trade the #7 pick again for more picks. I would be asking for next years first rounder or another second and third rounder for this years draft. 
This is the chance for the Jets to help themselves by gaining more draft picks to build any area they need.
If you keep trading down eventually you and up with all the 7th round picks. Each time you trade down the prospects you can draft are less and less likely to become successful nfl players. I am all for a trade down but you can't just keep doing it at some point all those picks mean nothing because the guys available are not good

anything is only worth what someone else will pay for it. as others said the draft value sheet is only an indication and not the be all end all. last year mayfield went no. 1 and darnold no. 3 yet by the draft sheet the pick value isn't the same and it can be argued darnold is a more valuable player than mayfield.

i like the idea of picking up a high second round pick all for moving down 4 places but it kind of depends on who is picked with the no. 1 and 2 picks.

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If you keep trading down eventually you and up with all the 7th round picks. Each time you trade down the prospects you can draft are less and less likely to become successful nfl players. I am all for a trade down but you can't just keep doing it at some point all those picks mean nothing because the guys available are not good

well yes but at the same time if they'd be staying in the top ten it means they can be guaranteed of getting the best player at their position in the draft. i know there are 22 players so anything within the top 22 wold be the best but not all positions are valued the same.

8 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

That's not true at all, there have been a lot of great players drafted late in the first round and in the later rounds. Look up how many great players were drafted in the later rounds for every team. At #7 you can do one more trade and it will not hurt especially when you are rebuilding or replacing players. If you believe trading down or having more picks means nothing because the players aren't any good, that only means you have bad scouts and bad player personnel in picking those type of players.

That's not true at all, there have been a lot of great players drafted late in the first round and in the later rounds. Look up how many great players were drafted in the later rounds for every team. At #7 you can do one more trade and it will not hurt especially when you are rebuilding or replacing players. If you believe trading down or having more picks means nothing because the players aren't any good, that only means you have bad scouts and bad player personnel in picking those type of players.
Fact that further down you go the less likely the guy you take is to be a successful player. More successful first rounders than second rounder more second rounders than thirds and so on

10 hours ago, derp said:

Edit:

Absolutely. I would then trade out of that 7th spot again into the early teens, and then trade out of that into the 20th position picking up another 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

With the 20th pick I'll pick up the top Center, 2nd round I'll pick up the top G/T and in the 3rd pick up another G/T with a WR. 

Invest in Darnold early and often during his rookie contract. 

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Yes. The value chart is just a chart. If there’s a player they want at 7 and another in the second round it’s a no brainer. I’d rather have a chance at two starting players then one. 

But Mac is the gm, there is a good chance he blows the 2nd round pick.. if the jags really want to move up for a qb, they will pay more. 

10 hours ago, derp said:

Edit:

if you're Mac, you take the 7,  2nd and a 4th or 5th. MAC will draft a BUST with his 2nd and 3 HOFers will be drafted after that anyway so we need another pick. :)

Archived