Good Interview by SI with John Dorsey About Picking Mayfield and the Scouting Process

DetDawg

you gotta wonder how things would've shaken out had cleveland taken darnold first.  would mayfield still fall to the jets?  or what if cleveland took barkley with the first pick.  what qb would they get with the 4th pick?  would the giaints have passed on darnold or mayfield?

The article held a different interest to me.  I was more interested in how Dorsey went about scouting Mayfield, the process he used in making decisions on players, and how he went about identifying good scouts, all of which can be applied generically and not just to Mayfield.

When reading interviews with guys like John Dorsey and Rick Spielman from the Vikings, I just get the feeling that Mac and his staff are really not good at scouting. 

Guys that draft the likes of Ardarious Stewart, Hack, Donahue, Hansen, Shepherd, Mauldin, Jarvis Harrison and others, over in each case the players that were left on the board, just seem completely hopeless.  

My guess is that this year the first round pick will be whomever Kiper has ranked highest, and his other picks will be who the coaches want.  Just like before, but now hopefully we have smarter coaches.  

21 hours ago, rangerous said:

you gotta wonder how things would've shaken out had cleveland taken darnold first.  would mayfield still fall to the jets?  or what if cleveland took barkley with the first pick.  what qb would they get with the 4th pick?  would the giaints have passed on darnold or mayfield?

If Barkley went first, they would have traded out. Barkley was the only guy Gettleman would have taken at #2.

I still contend that they picked Mayfield in an attempt to also land Saquon. They believed the Giants would take Darnold at 2. The Jets were reportedly interested in Mayfield (assuming Darnold was gone) so Saquon at 1 would have left them with Allen/Rosen.

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I still contend that they picked Mayfield in an attempt to also land Saquon. They believed the Giants would take Darnold at 2. The Jets were reportedly interested in Mayfield (assuming Darnold was gone) so Saquon at 1 would have left them with Allen/Rosen.

If the browns went Barkley/Jackson they would have made the playoffs this season.

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

I think they wanted Mayfield, obviously.  They may have hoped for Barkley, but Dorsey should have known that Gettleman was drafting for Green Jackets, not wins.  

Mac can tell us in his epitaph who he would have taken if Mayfield and Darnold were gone. I think SB. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

What’s with the obsession with Mayfield and the Browns on this board?

I’m assuming it’s just Browns fans with too much time on their hands.  Have you been to Cleveland?

Maybe they want us to want Baker. Idk. Jets fans are happy as sh*t to have Darnold. 

Archived