Le'veon Bell

Brady Averch

Hey Jets fans, I read this article about how we could get Le'veon Bell to help build around Sam Darnold. Definitely worth the read.

The Forgotten Star: Where Le’veon Bell should sign in Free Agency

CouchReport  Uncategorized   3 Minutes
Image result for leveon bell

Le’veon Bell is not coming back to Pittsburgh for 2019. People have seemed to forget that when Bell decides to play, he is a top 5 running back. After holding out all season in an attempt for a contract extension, Bell will look for a long term deal that pays him similarly to what Todd Gurley is paid. These are the teams that need to go for the star running back, and the teams that should stay away from an expensive problem.

Should: The New York Jets:

The Jets finally found their franchise quarterback by trading up in the 2018 draft for Sam Darnold. Darnold was not completely healthy, and the Jets still sucked, but with a promising quarterback and a star running back, they could make a run at a wild card spot. The best part about this past season was Darnold, as late in the season they played the 11-5 Texans very close, and they put up 38 points in a shootout for Green Bay. Right now, I think Adam Gase was a very bad hire. It made no sense after his time in Miami was extremely mediocre, compiling a 23-25 record over 3 seasons, with one wildcard exit. However, that could change if he has the Jets offense looking like the Broncos when Peyton Manning had his record breaking season. The Jets have a league high $88 million dollars in cap space this offseason. Look for them to go after Bell and other game changing free agents.

Should Not: The Miami Dolphins

Even though Bell spend a lot of time on a jet ski in Miami during his holdout, doesn’t mean it would be a good place for him to play in 2019. The Dolphins should blow the roster up through trades, obtain draft picks for 2020, and stay away from paying veteran players. It is clear at this point that the Dolphins won’t make the playoffs again anytime soon, let alone win a playoff game. I expect Miami to have a top 5 draft pick next year, they also only have about $14M in cap space. When a roster has this many holes, they can’t spend so much on a running back. Hopefully Bryan Flores gives Kenyan Drake the ball more, he is one of the few players on this team with potential.

Should: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Honestly I think Bell signing with the Jaguars would be a better move for him, but the Jaguars have no cap space for 2019. Maybe giving Blake Bortles that huge extension wasn’t very smart. Tampa has about $13M in cap space, but they can get to about $23M by releasing Desean Jackson, who no longer wants to be a part of the orginization. Bell loves spending time in Florida, and he likes a lot of money, so the fit seems perfect. The Bucs need a running back, and a trio of Bell, Winston, and Mike Evans could be in the hunt for a wildcard sport under new coach Bruce Arians.

Should: The Baltimore Ravens

If Le’veon Bell still wants to get back at Pittsburgh for not giving him a big contract, this is the best way to do so. Baltimore has $30M in cap space for 2019, and they can make even more when they inevitably move Joe Flacco. In the wildcard loss to the Chargers, the Ravens played piss poor offense until the 4th quarter, where they almost completed a historic rally. Baltimore has a very good defense, and the way they are built to win games is to control them from start to finish. Bell could get the ball 30 times a game, and the Ravens would dominate. Lamar Jackson needs to develop more before he is a reliable passer, and giving him Le’veon Bell would instantly make Baltimore the favorites to win the AFC North again.

Maybe: The Indianapolis Colts

Indy has the most cap space in the NFL. They already have Andrew Luck and T.Y Hilton, and they had an outstanding 2018 draft class in Darius Leonard and Quenton Nelson. It is so impressive to pick two rookies and having them both be All Pros that season. Marlon Mack had a good season, rushing for about 1,100 yards including the playoffs. However, signing Bell would have them as AFC South favorites going into next season. They could also save their cap space for a different player, such as Antonio Brown. I think the Colts should go all in by signing Bell and trading for Brown. You could argue that each season the NFC is a lot more wide open to win, as the Patriots have completely dominated the AFC the past 8 seasons. The Chiefs seem to be the consensus favorite to make the Super Bowl once New England’s reign is over. The only way the Colts could leapfrog those teams would be to go all in for stars.

Thanks for reading! I

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Brady Averch said:

Hey Jets fans, I read this article about how we could get Le'veon Bell to help build around Sam Darnold. Definitely worth the read.

https://couchreport.home.blog/2019/01/24/the-forgotten-star-where-leveon-bell-should-sign-in-free-agency/

Jets getting Bell is my plan!!! :)  

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I HONESTLY think that ANYONE on this board could have written a better article than THIS, and that's saying ALOT.  Five minutes of my life that I can never get back.  Thanks.

SHOULD have heeded your warning ⚠️ 

https://fansided.com/2019/01/24/leveon-bell-free-agency-rumors-miami-dolphins/

Although free agency remains more than a month away, FanSided has learned that Le’Veon Bell would prefer to sign with the Miami Dolphins.

All things being equal, Le’Veon Bell wants to play for the Miami Dolphins. A source with knowledge the situation has told FanSided of Bell’s desire to sign with the Dolphins when the NFL free agency legal tampering period ends on March 13.

FWIW of course - a lot of smoke will be out there between now and free agency.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If the jets can trade back and get their 2nd back, they dont need to trade for bell.  They can get a stud rb in the 2nd round.  Heck, pick another back w/ one of the 3rd round picks.  2 new back would be awesome! 

Lindsay and Freeman looked nice last year in Den.

That’s kind of wasting the pick we acquired... we have the money to fill a need with a stud player. Use the pick to fills holes free agency cannot address...

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Both the Colts and Jets have a league high cap space!?!?

Are we in a space and time continuum?

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Trying to figure out how the Colts and the Jets are league high in cap space

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

LOL we posted this at the same exact time

JifMouth

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

That’s kind of wasting the pick we acquired... we have the money to fill a need with a stud player. Use the pick to fills holes free agency cannot address...

Its not wasting a pick.

Its wasting money on a back like bell who has tons of mileage on him and didnt even suit up last year.

I dont believe we have any interest in bell so its a moot point.  The days of us making disasterous signings like this ended w/ Trumaine Johnson.  Mac cant be stupid enough to get burned again.

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not wasting a pick.

Its wasting money on a back like bell who has tons of mileage on him and didnt even suit up last year.

I dont believe we have any interest in bell so its a moot point.  The days of us making disasterous signings like this ended w/ Trumaine Johnson.  Mac cant be stupid enough to get burned again.

Normally I agree but we have money and not enough high picks that can be used on RB with all of our other needs. There are also very few players in FA on offense worth signing. Maybe a WR/TE shakes free and if we can actually sign some o-line then we can draft a RB. I’m just not sure we will do enough for the o-line in FA and that will dictate what we do about Bell.

The problem there is that if we wait, we miss out on everyone. We have the luxury of a lot of cap space and need to target top o-line/edge rusher and Bell right out of the gate and secure them at all costs. Then fill the roster out. We can’t worry about the Cap until it becomes a problem.

This team is being set back by being too patient/slow and missing opportunities. We have Sam and need to be in “win now” mode on offense so we put him in the best position possible.

The draft will depend on FA but we need to fill as many holes as possible in FA this year and next year. 4 year period for cap rollover will be over after next offseason and we need to load up and support Sam. He’s our only realistic hope.

It’s not a sound team strategy to bank on your QB being a top NFL QB but it seems like that’s the route that we are going. I’m fine with that because I think Sam has the tools. I just wish we had a better GM to support him and build a team properly. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

rs-miami-dolphins/

Although free agency remains more than a month away, FanSided has learned that Le’Veon Bell would prefer to sign with the Miami Dolphins.

All things being equal, Le’Veon Bell wants to play for the Miami Dolphins. A source with knowledge the situation has told FanSided of Bell’s desire to sign with the Dolphins when the NFL free agency legal tampering period ends on March 13.

Great to see that after his "sabbatical", Bell is chomping at the bit to get right back in there. So, he prefers Miami because it "gives him a chance to focus on his rap career", while  getting a fat NFL paycheck and enjoying the other perks of living in the Miami South Beach area.  I imagine playing for a competitive team is not high on his list of priorities at this juncture in his career.  Seems like a rebuilding program with low prospects and expectations suits him better.  Good to know.  Pass on this guy, I suspect if we pursue him it will end badly.

22 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Great to see that after his "sabbatical", Bell is chomping at the bit to get right back in there. So, he prefers Miami because it "gives him a chance to focus on his rap career", while  getting a fat NFL paycheck and enjoying the other perks of living in the Miami South Beach area.  I imagine playing for a competitive team is not high on his list of priorities at this juncture in his career.  Seems like a rebuilding program with low prospects and expectations suits him better.  Good to know.  Pass on this guy, I suspect if we pursue him it will end badly.

This is the guy who said he wouldn't play for the Jets because they don't have a QB. Now he's ok playing on a team with a sh*tty QB in tinyhill. OK

23 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This guy gets it.  Be patient, trade down this year and build through the draft.  Sam is here for 15 years.  If we do this right, we can have sustained success for the next decade.

Spend like a drunken sailor on guys like bell and we will improve quickly, but we will be right back in this spot 3 years from now.

This can be a turning point for our franchise.  Do it right and stay away from clowns like bell.

25 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

First off, Bells agent is going to spread rumors about a bunch of teams to help get his client a better deal. So I wouldn't take this story too seriously.

Second, we know that Gase was likely fired because the Fish wanted him to be on board with a rebuild. Signing Bell to a big free agent deal is not something a team rebuilding would do. 

Third, the fish already have Drake/Ballage at RB and limited cap space (one of the least in the NFL this year). Allocating a large chunk of that already limited cap space to a 27 year old RB isn't something they will be look to do. 

Don't believe everything you read. First question to Lev Bell, "do you want to be a NY Jet", any bit of hesitation & you move on to Signing Tevin Coleman. 

I doubt Gase & Macc will allow Bells agent to use them as pawns, you roll out your best offer, put a timeline on it so you don't get stalled in free agency & you sign him or move on quickly after your next target. 

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This guy gets it.  Be patient, trade down this year and build through the draft.  Sam is here for 15 years.  If we do this right, we can have sustained success for the next decade.

Spend like a drunken sailor on guys like bell and we will improve quickly, but we will be right back in this spot 3 years from now.

This can be a turning point for our franchise.  Do it right and stay away from clowns like bell.

We can trade down, sign Bell and still have plenty of cap space to address edge rusher/Oline. I am not a huge fan of Bell, but I won't be upset if we get him. Like someone said, he will help us in the rush game, he is an elite receiver and an elite blocker. All things that will help Darnold grow. 

Granted, if the option is signing an above average LT or Bell, i am picking the LT every day. But with 100 million-ish in cap space, we can address a bunch of issues and take a shot on a flashy new toy. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

,First off, Bells agent is going to spread rumors about a bunch of teams to help get his client a better deal. So I wouldn't take this story too seriously.

Second, we know that Gase was likely fired because the Fish wanted him to be on board with a rebuild. Signing Bell to a big free agent deal is not something a team rebuilding would do. 

Third, the fish already have Drake/Ballage at RB and limited cap space (one of the least in the NFL this year). Allocating a large chunk of that already limited cap space to a 27 year old RB isn't something they will be look to do. 

How does it benefit Bell to have his agent "float stories" that feature his interest in Miami being partially based on him wanting to further his "rap career"?  The article's premise is based on Bell's reported interest in playing in Miami.  I wasn't commenting on the Dolphin's interest in Bell, because that doesn't make sense to me either.  My comments were directed towards Bell's interest in finding a "soft" landing spot that will suit his personal life and leisure time, more than further his football career.  Miami doesn't need to allocate "a large chunk" of cap space to a "27 year old RB"'  Neither should WE.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

How does it benefit Bell to have his agent "float stories" that feature his interest in Miami being partially based on him wanting to further his "rap career"?  The article's premise is based on Bell's reported interest in playing in Miami.  I wasn't commenting on the Dolphin's interest in Bell, because that doesn't make sense to me either.  My comments were directed towards Bell's interest in finding a "soft" landing spot that will suit his personal life and leisure time, more than further his football career.  Miami doesn't need to allocate "a large chunk" of cap space to a "27 year old RB"'  Neither should WE.

Hmm, maybe if a team like the Jets want him and THINK Bell wants to go to Miami they may pay extra to lure him away. This is pretty common tactic by agents. 

Archived