Le'veon Bell

Brady Averch

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not wasting a pick.

Its wasting money on a back like bell who has tons of mileage on him and didnt even suit up last year.

I dont believe we have any interest in bell so its a moot point.  The days of us making disasterous signings like this ended w/ Trumaine Johnson.  Mac cant be stupid enough to get burned again.

Not your money. Our cap situation allows us to pay a premium for Bell.  

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for nothing but when you say "...And teams that should stay away from the expensive problem", it's not exactly a ringing endorsement! ?

The Jets should take of this expensive problem, but this team shouldnt. Smdh. 

And another thing, the whole "Adam Gase was a very bad hire but it would be ok if the Jets can be Peyton Mannings record breaking offense" or however he worded it. Really? The hire was horrible, but take on an expensive problem and reproduce Peyton friggin Manning's record breaking offense and we'll be alright. Hard to argue with that logic. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Hmm, maybe if a team like the Jets want him and THINK Bell wants to go to Miami they may pay extra to lure him away. This is pretty common tactic by agents. 

I fully understand the "tactic".  Let me put this simply.  The Jets should not sign LeVeon Bell.  LeVeon Bell's Agent can "float" or say anything he want. I still don't want LeVeon Bell.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not wasting a pick.

Its wasting money on a back like bell who has tons of mileage on him and didnt even suit up last year.

I dont believe we have any interest in bell so its a moot point.  The days of us making disasterous signings like this ended w/ Trumaine Johnson.  Mac cant be stupid enough to get burned again.

1.  He doesn't have a ton of milage, hes coming off of a year of rest.

2.  A GM better not stay out of FA  just because another doesn't work out.  Think Yankees

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  He doesn't have a ton of milage, hes coming off of a year of rest.

2.  A GM better not sign another FA us another doesn't work out.  Think Yankees

The reality is that signing Bell is a risk.

1- He does have plenty of mileage, but you are right the year off should help.

2- Will he play hard throughout his contract or bail on the team in the final year like he did with the Steelers. 

3- He is going to be 27. That isn't too old, but it's also not young for a RB. Many fall off a cliff at 28-29-30. Demarco Murry at 28 rushed for 1300  yards. Demarco Murray at 30 was out of the league.

4- In his last year with the Steelers (at 25), he put up massive numbers (nearly 2k yards), but only rushed for 4 yards per carry. 

5- Bell has already been suspended once for PEDs.

I am not adamantly for or against Bell. I see both sides to the situation. While there is risk associated with signing Bell, just about every FA will come with some level of risk. I think Macc would take a shot on Bell....if the price is right. If it becomes a bidding war, I doubt Macc will overpay for a RB at 27. 

Take a look at the Steelers without Bell, they had no problem getting production from Connor/Samuels. Look at the Rams, they bring in CJ anderson off the street and he is doing very good. There is a reason most smart football people think the Giants were foolish for taking Saquon over Darnold even if Saquon turns out to be a HOF RB. 

I'm getting more intrigued by Tevin Coleman.  Falcons protected him a bit behind Freeman and Ito Smith. I'm wondering how he'd do as a feature back.  Far less mileage than Bell and less expensive.  I don't compare him at all to Crowell.  Coleman is a pretty good receiver...

30 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm getting more intrigued by Tevin Coleman.  Falcons protected him a bit behind Freeman and Ito Smith. I'm wondering how he'd do as a feature back.  Far less mileage than Bell and less expensive.  I don't compare him at all to Crowell.  Coleman is a pretty good receiver...

Coleman makes way more sense.  Good receiver out of the backfield at a fraction of the cost of Bell

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The reality is that signing Bell is a risk.

1- He does have plenty of mileage, but you are right the year off should help.

2- Will he play hard throughout his contract or bail on the team in the final year like he did with the Steelers. 

3- He is going to be 27. That isn't too old, but it's also not young for a RB. Many fall off a cliff at 28-29-30. Demarco Murry at 28 rushed for 1300  yards. Demarco Murray at 30 was out of the league.

4- In his last year with the Steelers (at 25), he put up massive numbers (nearly 2k yards), but only rushed for 4 yards per carry. 

5- Bell has already been suspended once for PEDs.

I am not adamantly for or against Bell. I see both sides to the situation. While there is risk associated with signing Bell, just about every FA will come with some level of risk. I think Macc would take a shot on Bell....if the price is right. If it becomes a bidding war, I doubt Macc will overpay for a RB at 27. 

Take a look at the Steelers without Bell, they had no problem getting production from Connor/Samuels. Look at the Rams, they bring in CJ anderson off the street and he is doing very good. There is a reason most smart football people think the Giants were foolish for taking Saquon over Darnold even if Saquon turns out to be a HOF RB. 

I look at him as a short term signing.  He'll get a big contract that a team will be able to get out of after 3 years.  I'd he we went more I hope we stay away.  I don't think he has a problem being productive for 3 years

58 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Coleman makes way more sense.  Good receiver out of the backfield at a fraction of the cost of Bell

Coleman was a huge disappointment this year. If you just look at his numbers the 4.8ypc were impressive, but much of that came on a couple of a big runs. In fact, his season mirrored our boy Crowell who also had averaged 4.8ypc thanks to some big runs. 

Freeman basically missed the entire year. So many expected Coleman to break out. Instead, he managed just two 100  yard games playing in an offense with Ryan/Julio/Sanu/Ridley. He only broke 60 yards rushing 3 times. Those are awful numbers for a player on a good offense with virtually zero competition. 

If you are suggesting we bring him in at about the same price as Crowell? Sure. 3 years 12 mill is about what he is worth. But let's not expect him to be the answer to our RB situation when he wasn't the answer to the Falcons RB situation last  year. He is just another decent RB to plug in to our current stable of backs. 

3 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Great to see that after his "sabbatical", Bell is chomping at the bit to get right back in there. So, he prefers Miami because it "gives him a chance to focus on his rap career", while  getting a fat NFL paycheck and enjoying the other perks of living in the Miami South Beach area.  I imagine playing for a competitive team is not high on his list of priorities at this juncture in his career.  Seems like a rebuilding program with low prospects and expectations suits him better.  Good to know.  Pass on this guy, I suspect if we pursue him it will end badly.

I want to see us get Bell, but I understand the argument against doing it. What I wouldn't do though, is use ANYTHING from this article or his agent to support either side of the conversation. You might know more about this site then me, but I think it's one where unpaid contributors (fans?) submit the articles. I replied "ban him" right after the OP started this thread. It was obviously an amateurish, self written (is self written a thing? lol) piece of crap, which @Maxman has since confirmed. 

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I want to see us get Bell, but I understand the argument against doing it. What I wouldn't do though, is use ANYTHING from this article to support either side of the conversation. You might know more about this site then me, but I think it's one where unpaid contributors (fans?) submit the articles. I replied "ban him" right after the OP started this thread. It was obviously an amateurish, self written (is self written a thing? lol) piece of crap, which @Maxman has since confirmed. 

I would be inclined to agree with you if were just this one source, agreed that the article was extremely  amateurish,  but it is being posted on many sites, some of which seem credible.  247Sports is one, owned by CBS.  Newspapers have posted articles alluding to this possible "marriage" also.  We'll see.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Coleman was a huge disappointment this year. If you just look at his numbers the 4.8ypc were impressive, but much of that came on a couple of a big runs. In fact, his season mirrored our boy Crowell who also had averaged 4.8ypc thanks to some big runs. 

Freeman basically missed the entire year. So many expected Coleman to break out. Instead, he managed just two 100  yard games playing in an offense with Ryan/Julio/Sanu/Ridley. He only broke 60 yards rushing 3 times. Those are awful numbers for a player on a good offense with virtually zero competition. 

If you are suggesting we bring him in at about the same price as Crowell? Sure. 3 years 12 mill is about what he is worth. But let's not expect him to be the answer to our RB situation when he wasn't the answer to the Falcons RB situation last  year. He is just another decent RB to plug in to our current stable of backs. 

Been following Coleman closely since his college days at IU.  He’s a good player 

I just don't get the love for a guy who wasn't happy with $14mm (that's what TOM BRADY made!) and sat out the whole season.  Revis 2.0 except he will sit out again in 1-2 years.  No thank you!  I'll take Tevin Coleman AND a first rate center any day of the week and sixteen times on Sunday.

Having said that, I am convinced CJ and Mac told Gase they were going after Bell and asked if he was onboard with that.  If he said no, they wouldn't have hired him.  CJ and Mac are going to make a big time splash this offseason starting with Bell.  Not a good move.

9 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I just don't get the love for a guy who wasn't happy with $14mm (that's what TOM BRADY made!) and sat out the whole season.  Revis 2.0 except he will sit out again in 1-2 years.  No thank you!  I'll take Tevin Coleman AND a first rate center any day of the week and sixteen times on Sunday.

Having said that, I am convinced CJ and Mac told Gase they were going after Bell and asked if he was onboard with that.  If he said no, they wouldn't have hired him.  CJ and Mac are going to make a big time splash this offseason starting with Bell.  Not a good move.

I don't want this guy he's a cancer plain and simple. I don't mind confident and I don't mind cocky, but this guy is all about himself. I don't care how good he is it's not going to make that much of a difference except on the back page. Not worth it in my opinion I'd rather focus on o line, wide receivers and linebackers. This league has been running back by committee 10 more than a decade and if you pay one assclown 15 million a year Plus and he gets hurt or just gives up like Revis did then what?

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I take your point and being honest I didn't watch alot of Falcons games.  But if I compare 2017 where Freeman was for the most part healthy (230+ touches) and 2018 where he went on IR, the number of touches given to Coleman looks to be similar (183 vs. 199).  Are you saying they gave him a chance to be featured and he didn't step up, or is this a case where they game planned him for 3rd downs and other backs took Freeman's carries on 1st and 2nd down?  Comparing him to Crowell then wouldn't be accurate since Crowell had his chance when Powell went down and didn't produce...

46 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I don't want this guy he's a cancer plain and simple. I don't mind confident and I don't mind cocky, but this guy is all about himself. I don't care how good he is it's not going to make that much of a difference except on the back page. Not worth it in my opinion I'd rather focus on o line, wide receivers and linebackers. This league has been running back by committee 10 more than a decade and if you pay one assclown 15 million a year Plus and he gets hurt or just gives up like Revis did then what?

When has Bell given up? He decided he wasn't going to let the Steelers burn him into the ground with a 2nd franchise tag? Is he Ghandi? of course not he's a f*cking football player! There are a handful of guys in this league you'd want your daughter to marry. Guys like Larry Fitzgerald are rare. 

If lining up Le'veon Bell behind Darnold & possibly having a starting lineup of Bell, Quincy, Anderson, Herndon & Deebo Sweeny or DK Metcalf doesn't make you look forward to the season, are you really a Jet fan?

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I take your point and being honest I didn't watch alot of Falcons games.  But if I compare 2017 where Freeman was for the most part healthy (230+ touches) and 2018 where he went on IR, the number of touches given to Coleman looks to be similar (183 vs. 199).  Are you saying they gave him a chance to be featured and he didn't step up, or is this a case where they game planned him for 3rd downs and other backs took Freeman's carries on 1st and 2nd down? 

What other backs? Ito Smith? He had a grand total of 90 carries all year. Coleman was the guy. Even if they have other  backs the 1st/2nd down carries what does that tell you about Coleman? It SHOULD tell you they didn't think much of Coleman or that Coleman is merely a change of pace guy. Again, a guy we shouldn't be too excited about getting. 

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Comparing him to Crowell then wouldn't be accurate since Crowell had his chance when Powell went down and didn't produce...

It was a perfectly accurate comp. In fact, Coleman had a greater chance to succeed since Freeman played less than Powell and Coleman was playing in a MUCH better offense and still proved to be nothing more than an OK player. 

I am not against bringing in Coleman, but the notion that he is even remotely in the same league as Bell is comical. He is just another guy. Pair him with Cro/Cannon and you may have enough to win. The reality is that a great offense/Oline can make an JAG RB look great. 

25 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah. A good player. Crowell  is a good player. Powell is/was a good player. If you are ok with good RBs, that's fine. But he is nothing more than good. 

Hey how many super bowl trophies do Adrian Peterson, David Johnson, Barry Sanders and Ezekiel Elliot have combined?

Gurley is the first “elite” back in a long time who has a legit shot at winning a super bowl and he’s playing on a stacked team that needed Christmas gifts from the refs and Sean Payton

The desire of so many of this fan base to NOT have good players simply amazes me. 

There is a top 5 RB available, we have ZERO legitimate weapons, we have over $100mm in cap space...and a 2nd year, 22 year old QB who is in desperate need of weapons to grow...

and half the fan base is not just saying no but screaming NO....

It's like people are afraid of prosperity here.

Sure he comes with some risk but even if you get two good years out of him it's WELL worth it - these are formative years for Darnold.  Get him some toys - make his transition easier.  Bell is a no brainer.

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hey how many super bowl trophies do Adrian Peterson, David Johnson, Barry Sanders and Ezekiel Elliot have combined?

Gurley is the first “elite” back in a long time who has a legit shot at winning a super bowl and he’s playing on a stacked team that needed Christmas gifts from the refs and Sean Payton

Have you read my posts? I'm not all in on Bell. RB should not be our #1,2,3 priority. But we have a ton of cap space and if there is room to spare after we address more important positions then I'm ok with Bell. 

But just because Bell isn't worth it doesn't make tevin Coleman anything more than a jag running back. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The desire of so many of this fan base to NOT have good players simply amazes me. 

There is a top 5 RB available, we have ZERO legitimate weapons, we have over $100mm in cap space...and a 2nd year, 22 year old QB who is in desperate need of weapons to grow...

Sure he comes with some risk but even if you get two good years out of him it's WELL worth it - these are formative years for Darnold.  Get him some toys - make his transition easier.  Bell is a no brainer.

I agree 100%. I can't believe there are people who don't want bell. It's crazy to me

Our offense has been neglected for years. We are desperate for playmakers, and he would be a huge benefit to darnold and the team as a whole. The wr market isnt impressive to say the least, so I think signing bell is a no brainer. We should be all in on bell.

Sign Bell, and shore up the offensive line in free agency. Add a wr or 2 in the draft. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I’d be okay with Bell with lots of poison pills in the contract and very little guaranteed money after 2 years. I’d rather they just go and draft the next Bell, but I don’t have faith Macc can do that, so he’ll just throw money at the problem. Either way, I don’t see Bell coming to the Jets. Unless he is really just wanting to get paid, which should be a massive red flag. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets projected cap space is 93 million dollars, ,not "over 100 Million" as you stated.  Bell turned down 47 million over three years, meaning he's looking for a contract worth North of 17 Million dollars a year. Were the Jets to sign Bell, that would likely leave you with 76 Million  at the most.  As you stated the Jets have Zero legitimate weapons.  Currently they have approximately 30 players under contract for next season. Granted that the disposable cap  money  could increase with additional cuts,  but understand those cuts would necessitate replacing those players, probably costing you more, taking into account cap hits for prorated bonuses and such.  So with this 76 Million you have to sign 25 plus players to include Free Agents and Draft Picks.  The "Bonanza" you and others tout will not go as far as you think.  It's not about being afraid of prosperity.  It's about building a solid, real, long term foundation that will make us  perennial contenders. All of you Bell proponents start the sentence with, " sure he's a risk".  I for one don't want to "risk" the next few years of Sam's future on a 17 million dollar potential problem.  We have too many other needs to address.  "A fool and his money are soon parted".  Lets stop being the fools, for a change.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I dont think it's a smart idea to compensate for never drafting running backs by wildly overpaying for one (who hasnt played in a year either). Draft a back every year in the middle rounds. Stop drafting defensive tackles. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The Jets projected cap space is 93 million dollars, ,not "over 100 Million" as you stated.  Bell turned down 47 million over three years, meaning he's looking for a contract worth North of 17 Million dollars a year. Were the Jets to sign Bell, that would likely leave you with 76 Million  at the most.  As you stated the Jets have Zero legitimate weapons.  Currently they have approximately 30 players under contract for next season. Granted that the disposable cap  money  could increase with additional cuts,  but understand those cuts would necessitate replacing those players, probably costing you more, taking into account cap hits for prorated bonuses and such.  So with this 76 Million you have to sign 25 plus players to include Free Agents and Draft Picks.  The "Bonanza" you and others tout will not go as far as you think.  It's not about being afraid of prosperity.  It's about building a solid, real, long term foundation that will make us  perennial contenders. All of you Bell proponents start the sentence with, " sure he's a risk".  I for one don't want to "risk" the next few years of Sam's future on a 17 million dollar potential problem.  We have too many other needs to address.  "A fool and his money are soon parted".  Lets stop being the fools, for a change.

We've been lacking legitimate weapons for so long that I don't think Jet fans understand what it's like to have one. 

What you're talking about is adding a bunch of Jags and jags + - we have a team full of them already.  

This league comes down to a few plays a week and you need guys that will step up and make them.   

If there were stud WR's or Stud O-linmen out there I would be all for it, but they're not.  

Signing Bell does will not prevent Mac from drafting well.  Just will immediately make the Jets a better offense.

Stop worrying about the money - we have NO ONE to pay.  

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We've been lacking legitimate weapons for so long that I don't think Jet fans understand what it's like to have one. 

What you're talking about is adding a bunch of Jags and jags + - we have a team full of them already.  

This league comes down to a few plays a week and you need guys that will step up and make them.   

If there were stud WR's or Stud O-linmen out there I would be all for it, but they're not.  

Signing Bell does will not prevent Mac from drafting well.  Just will immediately make the Jets a better offense.

Stop worrying about the money - we have NO ONE to pay.  

I feel your pain. 51 years worth.  LeVeon Bell is not the answer.  Why does it have to be all or none.  They have 2 years to get this right.  It will not get done in one off-season.  Signing Bell will handicap us going forward.  You can count on that.  He is a missing piece.  He is not the solution.  We need solutions, not pieces.  The Jets are not there yet, obviously.

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This guy gets it.  Be patient, trade down this year and build through the draft.  Sam is here for 15 years.  If we do this right, we can have sustained success for the next decade.

Spend like a drunken sailor on guys like bell and we will improve quickly, but we will be right back in this spot 3 years from now.

This can be a turning point for our franchise.  Do it right and stay away from clowns like bell.

This post clearly sez it all about Bell. Yes he is a great player. Yes he will make a difference but for how long? 3 years may be a little soon but if we go the FA route and ignore the draft for need positions we will be back in the same situation we are now. How about we build a contender that lasts for a decade? Or longer? It can be done because I believe Sam is the real deal. The importance of acquiring young players on both sides of the ball who can grow up together is the way to go. That's how you build winners. That's how you Dynasties.

Archived