the naysayers are planting the seed

rangerous

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think my favorite part of the defense of Adam Gase being fired in Miami is that "he forced his way out because he didnt like the direction of the organization, he wants to win now".  

Isnt the newly decided direction of the organization directly correlated to the fact the Gase failed?  I mean, he had the chance to change the direction of the team and win now and he failed.  One could argue, he's the reason they are where they are.  Why didnt he just do that while he was there, then he wouldnt have had to "force his way out" to "win now'.

One could also argue that he wrung a surprising amount of wins out of a below-average roster.  I'm not saying he's a great or even good coach.  But I think MIA looked like a team that kept trying to push 8-8 into 10-6 by tweaking the roster around a questionable QB.  Remember the old days when we didn't have a QB... :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think my favorite part of the defense of Adam Gase being fired in Miami is that "he forced his way out because he didnt like the direction of the organization, he wants to win now".  

Isnt the newly decided direction of the organization directly correlated to the fact the Gase failed?  I mean, he had the chance to change the direction of the team and win now and he failed.  One could argue, he's the reason they are where they are.  Why didnt he just do that while he was there, then he wouldnt have had to "force his way out" to "win now'.

This is obviously true but if you're taking Gase's side of the argument you're basically saying "he had garbage at QB and still managed to have a winning record when Tannehill was healthy."

There's no way to deny that Adam Gase failed in Miami. The question is basically "why did he fail and why will it be different here." The homer anthem we're all hoping is the answer is Darnold.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How many games was Tannyhill injured in those 3 years? I would imagine if Belly lost Brady for that same amount of time over the last 3 years, Miami would have challenged them for the division. Gase has a young QB to work with here, it's like night & day from his 1st year at Miami.

Offensive geniuses and QB Whisperers should be able to have their offensives perform better than the bottom 1/3rd of the league every year.

I get he had a hurt Tannehill, but his terribly performing offenses just says to me he's a JAG coach.  Can succeed with P. Manning and terrible with back-up QB.

Anybody expecting something special, unique, different, genius like is going to be sorely disappointed.  We hired a JAG HC who's also a head case.  Not an inspiring choice.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think we have success & Williams is tabbed as another teams future head coach is why we lose him. Guy was 5-3 & all 3 games were winnable & Mayfield threw some ill timed picks like the last game in Baltimore. 

Your logic is a little questionable here. Mayfield was really good in that Ravens game. Yeah he was intercepted on what could've been the game winning drive (great play by a DL dropping back if I remember correctly?), but it was a divisional game on the road against a team that needed a win to get into the playoffs. I can't imagine anyother Qb, much less a rookie playing any better in that atmosphere.

As far as that 5-3 record, and all 3 losses being winnable games, kudos to Williams. He took over and he and Kitchens were a big upgrade over Jackson, and the results showed it. However, I'm going to say the Kitchen/Mayfield combination was a bigger reason for that then the job Williams did as HC. 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Name one.

Why in this forum is it some unwritten rule that Head Coaches that don't have success (I'm not going to say Gase failed), that's too simple, can't have success with a new organization? 

Theres a big difference in a guy like Charlie (I'm out of it) Casserly recommending Todd (never been a HC) Bowles to Woody, or Adam Gase getting a stamp of approval from a HOF QB like Payton Manning.

I think going 23-25 in Miami with an oft injured starting QB & having to play Matt Moore & Brock Osweiller, going 5-1 against the Jets & 2-4 vs the Pats is pretty damn good. Every Head Coach in this league is nobody without the QB. Just look at the playoff contenders this year, Brady, Luck, Watson, Rivers, Mahomes, Goff, Foles, Brees, with Jackson the only outlier (Ravens were propelled by defense). 

Proof comes from Indy (sucked without Luck), Texans (Obrien sucked with Osweiller), ect. How would Reich look without Luck?, Obrien won sh*t without Watson. How well would have the best Head Coaches done in Miami with their QB situation?

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Offensive geniuses and QB Whisperers should be able to have their offensives perform better than the bottom 1/3rd of the league every year.

I get he had a hurt Tannehill, but his terribly performing offenses just says to me he's a JAG coach.  Can succeed with P. Manning and terrible with back-up QB.

Anybody expecting something special, unique, different, genius like is going to be sorely disappointed.  We hired a JAG HC who's also a head case.  Not an inspiring choice.

Another in the bummed out fan brigade...Womp...womp....waaah. Give me a head coach that would have thrived in Miami with the oft injured Tannyhill? 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Why in this forum is it some unwritten rule that Head Coaches that don't have success (I'm not going to say Gase failed), that's too simple, can't have success with a new organization? 

Theres a big difference in a guy like Charlie (I'm out of it) Casserly recommending Todd (never been a HC) Bowles to Woody, or Adam Gase getting a stamp of approval from a HOF QB like Payton Manning.

I think going 23-25 in Miami with an oft injured starting QB & having to play Matt Moore & Brock Osweiller, going 5-1 against the Jets & 2-4 vs the Pats is pretty damn good. Every Head Coach in this league is nobody without the QB. Just look at the playoff contenders this year, Brady, Luck, Watson, Rivers, Mahomes, Goff, Foles, Brees, with Jackson the only outlier (Ravens were propelled by defense). 

Prove comes from Indy (sucked without Luck), Texans (Obrien sucked with Osweiller), ect. How would Reich look without Luck?, Obrien won sh*t without Watson. How well would have the best Head Coaches done in Miami with their QB situation?

23-25 with nothing but crappy quarterbacks is not failing

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How many games was Tannyhill injured in those 3 years? I would imagine if Belly lost Brady for that same amount of time over the last 3 years, Miami would have challenged them for the division. Gase has a young QB to work with here, it's like night & day from his 1st year at Miami.

BB is 13-5 without Brady.  Sam Darnold missed 3 games this year, if he misses 3 next year are we just taking the L because awshucks, injuries!!!????

Gase took over a team that was 22-26 and a QB who was producing in the 3 years preceding him arriving, not a team that was 14-34 with a rookie Qb who if he didnt get hurt, would have more than likely broke the rookie record for INT's. 

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gase disagreed with the moves the FO wanted to make.  If his name was Mangini instead posters like you would be calling him a young genius who got fed up with incompetent ownership

1 minute ago, JiF said:

BB is 13-5 without Brady.  Sam Darnold missed 3 games this year, if he misses 3 next year are we just taking the L because awshucks, injuries!!!????

Gase took over a team that was 22-26 and a QB who was producing in the 3 years preceding him arriving, not a team that was 14-34 with a rookie Qb who if he didnt get hurt, would have more than likely broke the rookie record for INT's. 

What was BB’s head coaching record before 2001?  Just wonderin

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

If they were forced together I'd be concerned.

Gase WANTED Williams.  Williams had choices and CHOSE the Jets.

They both wanted this.  End of story.

Why can’t they coexist with Gase managing the offense and Williams managing the defense?

Just now, Philc1 said:

23-25 with nothing but crappy quarterbacks is not failing

Bowles got to 10-6 with a mercinary squad & one of the easiest schedules we've had in years. After that? 14-34. 23-25 & 14-34? In the same division. 

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There will be no issues because Gase has given williams cart blanche to do what he wants.

Gase wants no part of the D so there wont be any miscommunication.  The D is williams show to run.

I hear ya but I want to see how Williams reacts to Gase going hurry up when playing a September game in 90 deg heat and going 3 and out a few times...

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The jet hating media always trashes are coaches except for Bowles

The media are complete hypocrites.  They criticize the current coach, point out all his flaws, write articles based on "inside sources" who say the Head Coach's days are numbered, etc.  Then, when the HC is finally fired they wait about 3-4 weeks and start talking him up, revering the positives about him, making excuses about his roster being bad, etc. and they start slamming the guy hired to replace him.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is obviously true but if you're taking Gase's side of the argument you're basically saying "he had garbage at QB and still managed to have a winning record when Tannehill was healthy."

There's no way to deny that Adam Gase failed in Miami. The question is basically "why did he fail and why will it be different here." The homer anthem we're all hoping is the answer is Darnold.

Yet, he constantly defended Tannehill and hand selected to play Jay Cutler over Matt Moore, who just the season before help lead the team to the playoff when Tannehill went down.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Bowles got to 10-6 with a mercinary squad & one of the easiest schedules we've had in years. After that? 14-34. 23-25 & 14-34? In the same division. 

Gase made the playoffs with tannehill and Moore who both absolutely suck.  My first choice was McCarthy but Gase was the second best HC available 

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One could also argue that he wrung a surprising amount of wins out of a below-average roster.  I'm not saying he's a great or even good coach.  But I think MIA looked like a team that kept trying to push 8-8 into 10-6 by tweaking the roster around a questionable QB.  Remember the old days when we didn't have a QB... :)

He took over a team that went 22-26 before he got there, he went 22-26 while he was there. lol

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The media are complete hypocrites.  They criticize the current coach, point out all his flaws, write articles based on "inside sources" who say the Head Coach's days are numbered, etc.  Then, when the HC is finally fired they wait about 3-4 weeks and start talking him up, revering the positives about him, making excuses about his roster being bad, etc. and they start slamming the guy hired to replace him.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

If the jets had hired McCarthy the media hit jobs on him would have been relentless

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Gase disagreed with the moves the FO wanted to make.  If his name was Mangini instead posters like you would be calling him a young genius who got fed up with incompetent ownership

Excuse me?  Mangini was an idiot.  Know your audience, bud.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Please stop with the 2008 bullspit everyone spews here regarding Belichick without Brady. They had the easiest schedule in the league & our Jets beat them IN GILLETTE! They missed the playoffs & Miami WON THE DIVISION the only time BB didn't have Brady. They went 3-1 with Garrapolo, who had be groomed in the system for 3 years, it wasn't like they threw some rookie out there, and oh by the way they LOST TO BUFFALO AT HOME! 

Stop with this sh*t regarding BB without Brady, it's a totally different team!

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yet, he constantly defended Tannehill and hand selected to play Jay Cutler over Matt Moore, who just the season before help lead the team to the playoff when Tannehill went down.

Tannehill tore his ACL a month before the season.  Cutler was all that was available and he already knew Gase’s playbook

Please stop with the 2008 bullspit everyone spews here regarding Belichick without Brady. They had the easiest schedule in the league & our Jets beat them IN GILLETTE! They missed the playoffs & Miami WON THE DIVISION the only time BB didn't have Brady. They went 3-1 with Garrapolo, who had be groomed in the system for 3 years, it wasn't like they threw some rookie out there, and oh by the way they LOST TO BUFFALO AT HOME! 

BB was on his way to getting fired in New England when Mo Lewis did him the biggest favor ever

Oh, so, that record doesnt count?  lol

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Tannehill tore his ACL a month before the season.  Cutler was all that was available and he already knew Gase’s playbook

Great call on Gase's part!  Cutler is the epitome of great leadership and consistent QB play.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Never answer my question.  What was Belichick’s record his first 4 seasons as a nfl head coach?

Bad.  He then took, a how many year hiatus as a DC before returning to the Head Coaching ranks?  Or did he get immediately hired by another team? 

Archived