Jets hire Cenral Michigan coach for O-line/run game coordinator

CTJetsFan

Stumbled across this. Assume it's just as run game coordinator.

Football Scoop reports that the New York Jets will hire Central Michigan OL coach/run-game coordinator Derek Frazier.

Frazier was hired at CMU back in the spring of 2015 and had made it through the transition at head coach from John Bonamego to Jim McElwain this winter. We'll keep an eye on this now-vacant post until it is filled.

Jan 25 - 12:01 PM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bio from CMU site

Derek Frazier is in his fourth year on coach John Bonamego's Central Michigan football staff, and in his second season in his current role of offensive line coach/run-game coordinator.

in 2017, Frazier led an offensive line anchored by veteran J.P. Quinn -- a Third Team All-MAC selection -- that paved the way for Jonathan Ward to become CMU's first 1,000-yard rusher since 2014 as the sophomore running back averaged 5.7 yards per carry, which ranked second in the Mid-American Conference and 40th in the nation.

In addition, Frazier's offensive line protected quarterback Shane Morris in the Chippewas no-huddle, uptempo scheme, helping the signal-caller to a memorable year in which he threw for 3,237 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Morris' yardage total is the seventh best for a single season in program history, and his TD-pass total is tied for the second best in CMU lore. 

Among the leaders on the offensive line who return in 2018 are Steve Eipper and Shakier Carr.

In 2015 and 2016, Frazier led a unit that protected quarterback Cooper Rush as the signal caller developed into one of the very best to ever play for CMU, finishing his career second in program history in passing yardage (12,891) and touchdown passes (90).

Among Frazier's top protégés during his time at CMU are two-time First Team All-MAC center Nick Beamish along with the likes of Ramadan Ahmeti and Quinn.

Prior to his arrival in Mount Pleasant, Frazier spent three seasons as the offensive line coach at Colorado State, where he helped lead a program that went from four victories in his first season (2012) to 10 in 2014. The Rams went from the ninth-ranked offense in the Mountain West Conference in 2012 to its second-ranked in 2014.

Frazier's offensive line paved the way as the Rams' Kapri Bibbs rushed for 1,741 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2013.

Two Frazier-coached offensive linemen from Colorado State, Ty Sambrailo and Weston Richburg, earned First Team All-Mountain West honors and Richburg was selected in the second round of the NFL draft by the New York Giants. He is one of several players that Frazier has mentored who was drafted by an NFL team or signed professionally as a free agent.

Prior to, Frazier served as an assistant, primarily on the offensive line or, in some cases, as the offensive coordinator, at Fresno State (2006-11 and ’03-04), Northern Arizona (’05-06), Adams State (Colorado) College (2001), Nichols (Mass.) College (2000).

Frazier earned four letters as an offensive lineman at Northern Colorado and was the starting center on the Bears’ NCAA Division II national championship team in 1996. He earned the team’s Most Inspirational Offensive Player Award that season.

Frazier earned his bachelor’s degree from Northern Colorado and his master’s degree from Nichols College. He and his wife, Taryn, have two children, a daughter, Katelyn; and a son, James.

19 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Bio from CMU site

Derek Frazier is in his fourth year on coach John Bonamego's Central Michigan football staff, and in his second season in his current role of offensive line coach/run-game coordinator.

in 2017, Frazier led an offensive line anchored by veteran J.P. Quinn -- a Third Team All-MAC selection -- that paved the way for Jonathan Ward to become CMU's first 1,000-yard rusher since 2014 as the sophomore running back averaged 5.7 yards per carry, which ranked second in the Mid-American Conference and 40th in the nation.

In addition, Frazier's offensive line protected quarterback Shane Morris in the Chippewas no-huddle, uptempo scheme, helping the signal-caller to a memorable year in which he threw for 3,237 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Morris' yardage total is the seventh best for a single season in program history, and his TD-pass total is tied for the second best in CMU lore. 

Among the leaders on the offensive line who return in 2018 are Steve Eipper and Shakier Carr.

In 2015 and 2016, Frazier led a unit that protected quarterback Cooper Rush as the signal caller developed into one of the very best to ever play for CMU, finishing his career second in program history in passing yardage (12,891) and touchdown passes (90).

Among Frazier's top protégés during his time at CMU are two-time First Team All-MAC center Nick Beamish along with the likes of Ramadan Ahmeti and Quinn.

Prior to his arrival in Mount Pleasant, Frazier spent three seasons as the offensive line coach at Colorado State, where he helped lead a program that went from four victories in his first season (2012) to 10 in 2014. The Rams went from the ninth-ranked offense in the Mountain West Conference in 2012 to its second-ranked in 2014.

Frazier's offensive line paved the way as the Rams' Kapri Bibbs rushed for 1,741 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2013.

Two Frazier-coached offensive linemen from Colorado State, Ty Sambrailo and Weston Richburg, earned First Team All-Mountain West honors and Richburg was selected in the second round of the NFL draft by the New York Giants. He is one of several players that Frazier has mentored who was drafted by an NFL team or signed professionally as a free agent.

Prior to, Frazier served as an assistant, primarily on the offensive line or, in some cases, as the offensive coordinator, at Fresno State (2006-11 and ’03-04), Northern Arizona (’05-06), Adams State (Colorado) College (2001), Nichols (Mass.) College (2000).

Frazier earned four letters as an offensive lineman at Northern Colorado and was the starting center on the Bears’ NCAA Division II national championship team in 1996. He earned the team’s Most Inspirational Offensive Player Award that season.

Frazier earned his bachelor’s degree from Northern Colorado and his master’s degree from Nichols College. He and his wife, Taryn, have two children, a daughter, Katelyn; and a son, James.

That's a good bio for a guy who is solely focused on offensive lines, protection and running game coordination since the year 2000.  Lots of experience, seems to have improved the offense every place he's been in recent years and has experience coaching guys from smaller programs who have gone on to become Pros.

Seems like the perfect kind of candidate to get his shot at an NFL assistant job working under a very good Offensive Line coach in Frank Pollack. I'd assume Pollack was heavily involved in the recruitment, signing of Frazier but I don't know that to be a fact.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where are all the "he sucks, is a crony of Gase" threads ripping the guy?  

Sorry to burst your bubble. Everyone is cheering this, as they should. Not all follow and feel to cheer every single move team makes. Those are called “ homers “ Greg Williams certainly wasn’t tied to gase. It took balls we haven’t seen in decades, to bring in a well respected cord who has lot more coaching experience than you. Some  think Gase is the opposite of Bowles, who was obsessed with running, small conservative plays, compared to gase who passes a lot, and is surely not conservative like bowles. The fact that he is up with rest of the league, and believes in attacking/passing is a good thing. But as he has said, he wants to be versatile and will run whenever time is right. Bringing in run game cord is making sure he will have this O well rounded..

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble. Everyone is cheering this, as they should. Not all follow and feel to cheer every single move team makes. Those are called “ homers “ Greg Williams certainly wasn’t tied to gase. It took balls we haven’t seen in decades, too bring a well respected cord on who has lot more coaching experience than you. Some  think Gase is the opposite of Bowles, who was obsessed with running, small conservative plays, compared to gase who passes a lot, and is surely not conservative like bowles. The fact that he is up with rest of the league, and believes in attacking/passing is a good thing. But as he has said, he wants to be versatile and will run whenever time is right. Bringing in run game cord is making sure he will have this O well rounded..

Not that I have a problem with Gregg Williams as the DC, but all indications are it didn't take "balls," to bring him in.  It seems, by all reports, as if it was literally a condition of the job.

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I know nothing about him so I don’t know if he’s good or bad. We know Dobad sucks. 

And im still trying to figure out why the **** there’s a run game coordinator. 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is a fair question.

I think mostly it is the usual promotion without a raise in pay.  As teams hire more coaches, we are going to see more and more.  It used to be intern, quality coordinator, video coordinator and assistant special teams coach.  Smart assistant coaches are usually looking to move up. To get intelligent up and comers, you need to have a job that looks good on their resume.  Run game coordinator sounds better than assistant offensive line coach.

A run game coordinator works with all the units and position coaches to install the base running plays, develop the running plays for the game plan each week, and communicate assignments and check offs across units - the intent is for there to be a cohesive overall plan for the running game

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I never heard of it and clearly a few others haven’t. 

The Browns just hired Stump Mitchell from Bowles’ old staff to be their running game coordinator.

The Chargers have Pat Meyers in the role, the Eagles with Jeff Stoutland, the Falcons with Chris Morgan, etc.

It’s very common

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Browns just hired Stump Mitchell from Bowles’ old staff to be their running game coordinator.

The Chargers have Pat Meyers in the role, the Eagles with Jeff Stoutland, the Falcons with Chris Morgan, etc.

It’s very common

I get that now but I’ve honestly never heard of it. It seems overcall but as someone explained it’s just another name for assistant. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I know nothing about him so I don’t know if he’s good or bad. We know Dobad sucks. 

And im still trying to figure out why the **** there’s a run game coordinator. 

Because you read a stat sheet, applying nothing about the game into it.  I know

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble. Everyone is cheering this, as they should. Not all follow and feel to cheer every single move team makes. Those are called “ homers “ Greg Williams certainly wasn’t tied to gase. It took balls we haven’t seen in decades, to bring in a well respected cord who has lot more coaching experience than you. Some  think Gase is the opposite of Bowles, who was obsessed with running, small conservative plays, compared to gase who passes a lot, and is surely not conservative like bowles. The fact that he is up with rest of the league, and believes in attacking/passing is a good thing. But as he has said, he wants to be versatile and will run whenever time is right. Bringing in run game cord is making sure he will have this O well rounded..

Sorry to shoot you down but I was being sarcastic.  Shockingly you missed it.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Not that I have a problem with Gregg Williams as the DC, but all indications are it didn't take "balls," to bring him in.  It seems, by all reports, as if it was literally a condition of the job.

Please find an post where anyone has actually said this?  You know, especially since Gase has said hes known him for 12 years, loves his D and always wanted to coach with him

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm saving my outrage for whoever they bring in as assistant strength coach.

Its like when Jerome from da Bronx calls the FAN to complain that a batting coach sucks and is the reason the Yankees stopped hitting 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

No I watched the ******* Dolphins and listen to the sh*tty radio about them all season. I live 20 minutes from their stadium. Sorry I’m realistic. Dobad is a sh*t OC. 

And you somehow never notices that that Tannehill missed 2 of the 3 seasons.  And never thought that, you know, might be slightly relevant  

I live most of the year down here, go to games, I'm somehow more realistic.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And you somehow never notices that that Tannehill missed 2 of the 3 seasons.  And never thought that, you know, might be slightly relevant  

I live most of the year down here, go to games, I'm somehow more realistic.

Not really. You seem to be one of the few people that think Dobad is actually a good OC. 

He was the OC of a team that didn’t have Tannehill and still sucked. 

Archived