Antonio Brown Photoshops himself in 49er uniform

bla bla bla

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Tomlin gave AB too much leeway.  He tolerated his attitude for too long and treated him differently because of how good he is.  That makes the situation worse and it creates friction in the team.

This has a lot to do with Tomlin but let's be clear about the person responsible for the situation, it's Antonio Brown.

Agreed. Tomlin created the toxic culture that created Bell thinking it was OK to sit out an entire year and for Brown to abandon his teammates late in the year. 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I disagree, Bell told the Steelers he wouldn't play if they Franchised him and they did it anyway.

If it were  as simple as that you'd be right, but it isn't. He sabotaged the team, and hung his teammates out to dry. I'm going to report, I might report, we'll see next week, I'll report week 10, I'm not going to report, We'll see Monday, Tuesday, Friday..... Come On.  There were other issues as well, this is not a good guy, we don't need that.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If it were  as simple as that you'd be right, but it isn't. He sabotaged the team, and hung his teammates out to dry. I'm going to report, I might report, we'll see next week, I'll report week 10, I'm not going to report, We'll see Monday, Tuesday, Friday..... Come On.  There were other issues as well, this is not a good guy, we don't need that.

That's on the Steelers, I'm sorry. You knew the risk by tagging him. The Steelers could have recinded the tag at any point. After seeing what happen to Earl Thomas, Bell made the right decision.

Screenshot_20190126-130441~2.png

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

That's on the Steelers, I'm sorry. You knew the risk by tagging him. The Steelers could have recinded the tag at any point. After seeing what happen to Earl Thomas, Bell made the right decision.

Screenshot_20190126-130441~2.png

We'll see.  14.5 Million is a lot to make up on his next  contract.  BTW he touched the ball 400 times once in his career, it wasn't like he was used that way for years.  Regards.

The forum seems to be split on this but I'm in the camp that the Bell and Brown situations are different.  Brown quit on his team at the most crucial point in the year.  He was also under contract.

The Steelers were trying to hold Bell hostage (a very well paid hostage) with the franchise tag over MULTIPLE years and they know how the RB market works.  You get a young rookie, you ride him for 4 years and then try to squeeze another couple years out of him before turning in the car with 150,000 miles on it.  Bell's touch count was getting ridiculous.  He was a rented mule and they were going to pound him this year in a last attempt to grab one more Super Bowl before Roethlisberger turns 37 and Brown becomes too expensive or too much of a problem.

While the Bell situation wasn't pretty I'm MUCH more understanding of his perspective than what Brown did.  Bell was NOT under contract, never reported to the team and the Steelers were arrogant in figuring that nobody would have the guts to sit out a full season.  The Steelers played hardball and Bell was resilient, calling their bluff.

That's where I shake out on this.

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

After Gase basically banished Landry to Cleveland for being a "Me" guy can't see him signing off on AB regardless of talent...

That's an important point, and Gase has reiterated it several times 

The first gase macc dispute could easily be over bell or brown 

13 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

We'll see.  14.5 Million is a lot to make up on his next  contract.  BTW he touched the ball 400 times once in his career, it wasn't like he was used that way for years.  Regards.

The Steelers knew this was going to be the last year they'd have him for, I'd bet my life savings they would have ran him into the ground.

As far as the $14.5M, yes he'd have lost it for a year but the deal he turned down only had $33M guaranteed. Which means if he signs a deal with at least $48M guaranteed (Gurley received $45M) he sort of breaks even. Yes it's a year without pay that you'll never get back but it's not a bad alternative to be allowed to test the open market. My guess is he doesn't sit out without assurances that he'd get that much.

37 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What happened to Earl Thomas? He broke his leg. Who cares? It's not career threatening in any way. You're acting like he ruptured his Achilles. He will be completely healthy for camp. It won't effect his free agency. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Tomlin gave AB too much leeway.  He tolerated his attitude for too long and treated him differently because of how good he is.  That makes the situation worse and it creates friction in the team.

This has a lot to do with Tomlin but let's be clear about the person responsible for the situation, it's Antonio Brown.

There's nothing you can do if the person doesn't get it.  TO, Ocho, Beckham, on and on we go.  These diva WRs are a pain

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There's nothing you can do if the person doesn't get it.  TO, Ocho, Beckham, on and on we go.  These diva WRs are a pain

NFL football is loaded with diva players it's the nature of the beast. You pay these young kids exuberant money to play a game along with that comes baggage and being a diva.  The NY Jets have steered clear for the most part of the so called divas for years...exactly 50 years since Joe Namath a diva won a Super Bowl here. 

Joe wore panty hose,fur coats, partied with the best of them, dated all the hot female actresses most Jets fans would hate him and badger him if he played in 2019. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What happened to Earl Thomas? He broke his leg. Who cares? It's not career threatening in any way. You're acting like he ruptured his Achilles. He will be completely healthy for camp. It won't effect his free agency. 

There is no way Thomas makes what he would have if he was healthy and sat out. 

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL football is loaded with diva players it's the nature of the beast. You pay these young kids exuberant money to play a game along with that comes baggage and being a diva.  The NY Jets have steered clear for the most part of the so called divas for years...exactly 50 years since Joe Namath a diva won a Super Bowl here. 

Joe wore panty hose,fur coats, partied with the best of them, dated all the hot female actresses most Jets fans would hate him and badger him if he played in 2019. 

Difference is Joe wasn't a detriment to the team.  Joe didn't fight with players, challenge authority etc.  

We did have Keyshawn 

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The Steelers knew this was going to be the last year they'd have him for, I'd bet my life savings they would have ran him into the ground.

As far as the $14.5M, yes he'd have lost it for a year but the deal he turned down only had $33M guaranteed. Which means if he signs a deal with at least $48M guaranteed (Gurley received $45M) he sort of breaks even. Yes it's a year without pay that you'll never get back but it's not a bad alternative to be allowed to test the open market. My guess is he doesn't sit out without assurances that he'd get that much.

Time will tell, as long as the 48 Million guaranteed doesn't come from us.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

If the colts offer their first and one of their second rd picks the Steelers would be very tempted

I don't think so- Colts are a playoff team next year in the AFC. Steelers don't need to make it tougher or want to get embarrassed by A. Brown. He would eat up that sh*tty Steelers secondary, lol.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, bla bla bla said:

And had he reported, the talk this time of year would have been..”how much tread is on those tires” and “nobody wants to pay top dollar for a rb with all those miles on him”

He may have ended up adding a year or two to the end of his career by sitting out. 

Bell might be a jerk, but he’s no AB.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, bla bla bla said:

This, except it was even worse. The $33MM "guaranteed" wasn't fully guaranteed at signing. It wasn't even a one year full guarantee, but rather it had the potential to make $33MM over the first 2 years, making it essentially a contract offer of successive exclusive-rights franchise tags. He was cuttable after just 1 year in the Steelers' offer, with an immediate net gain in cap space for the team, since the only fully guaranteed portion from day one was his $10MM signing bonus. After that it was more that added guarantees would kick in if they didn't cut him. It's a guarantee that wasn't guaranteed.

Gurley's deal wasn't technically $45MM full guarantees from day one either, but in effect it kind of was because the structure made it almost impossible for the Rams to move on after just 1 season because his signing bonus was $21MM, and keeping him in year 2 kicks in a guarantee of $7.5MM of his $13MM for year 3, pretty much guaranteeing all of it in effect.

The contracts were nothing alike. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, Philc1 said:

If the colts offer their first and one of their second rd picks the Steelers would be very tempted

If the Colts offer their first and one of their seconds , especially if it's ours the Steelers  will jump at that.  I think that at this point the Steelers are so eager to move past Brown, and his salary and age also being considerations, any number one will get it done for them.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, Matt39 said:

How has Tomlin kept his job throughout this? 

1 super bowl victory.  Playoffs 8 out of 12 years combined with the fact that the Steelers have only had 3 head coaches in the last 50 years.  Something tells me his job is not as in jeopardy as some make it out to be.  

46 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

1 super bowl victory.  Playoffs 8 out of 12 years combined with the fact that the Steelers have only had 3 head coaches in the last 50 years.  Something tells me his job is not as in jeopardy as some make it out to be.  

You make a good case but I get the feeling that the worm may have started to turn this past season.  The optics of the Bell fiasco, in addition to the Brown scandal and the team falling out of the playoffs, after being in solid position for a playoff spot, is not good for the franchise or Tomlin.  There was a lot of back-biting and team unrest behind the scenes this year, and questions surrounding Tomlin's culpability in failing to control these issues are starting to stick.  Next year is going to be the key to determining his longevity in Pittsburgh going forward.  Either they right the ship and return to the playoffs, at least, or continue this path and he is toast.

Archived