Bucs defense shifts to attack mode under Todd Bowles

WayneChrebet80

19 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

"Expect ADAPTABILITY?????????"  ADAPTABILITY?????  Bill Polian used that same bs to spin the guy's horrific "job" he did here too.

Question...does anyone know how many games Bowles won when the opposition started their BACK-UP QB?

I know the answer ZERO.  Something like 0-6 or 7 or 8 against the Matt Barkleys and TJ Yates'.

Doesn't one have to be "adaptable" when going against a back-up QB?

Tampa better field a lineup of virtually ALL All-Pros on their Defense, just like Arizona had during Bowles 2 years there or they will easily lose double digits just like the Jets every year, I'll count his 1st season as a reversal of 10-6 because that was the weakest schedule the NFL ever handed ANY team, probably on purpose, and most of the wins were in doubt until the final minute.

Shame on you.  Don't you know that facts don't matter.  It's all about niceness.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't wish Bowles any ill will. That said, he really killed me when he was calling a better D than Kacey yet gave back play calling when he came back. In the 4 years he must have, at some point, realized he needed to take over PC duty on D. The fact he let Rodgers keep going speaks volumes. 

Bowles is in for a rude awakening. NFC south!

Atlanta- Ryan- Jones- Sanu- Ridley- Freeman

Saints- Brees- Thomas- Kamara

Panthers- Cam- McCaffery- Olsen (you know they're adding WRs)

The offenses in the NFC South are far superior on all 3 opponents than he faced in the AFC east. Good luck with that Bucs fans.

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

To be fair the two gsmsed Rodgers was out our defense was pretty good

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

i don't have a lot of dislike for bowles defense.  imo he had some really good schemes but lacked the right personnel or team discipline for them to work very well.  now that he's just a dc we'll see what he's capable of.  look at wade phillips in that regard.  phillips was not a very good coach.  his teams underachieved but he's a heck of a defense coach.

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't have a lot of dislike for bowles defense.  imo he had some really good schemes but lacked the right personnel or team discipline for them to work very well.  now that he's just a dc we'll see what he's capable of.  look at wade phillips in that regard.  phillips was not a very good coach.  his teams underachieved but he's a heck of a defense coach.

Bowles defense was eaten alive especially in pass coverage to WR's and TE's. 

COME ON MAN 

10 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I don't wish Bowles any ill will. That said, he really killed me when he was calling a better D than Kacey yet gave back play calling when he came back. In the 4 years he must have, at some point, realized he needed to take over PC duty on D. The fact he let Rodgers keep going speaks volumes. 

That’s what kills me also. The 2 games Rogers was out the Jets won with Bowles calling the defense. Then Rogers comes back and the Jets go 1-9 the rest of the way. Obviously this is on Bowles for sticking with a losing Rogers. Bowles could have succes as just a D coordinator but as a head coach he just couldn’t cut it. Bowles really let the Jets down. He might be a nice guy and all but I won’t be forgiving him for the unprepared team he put out on the field most weeks and all the adjustments he didn’t make and wasn’t ready for. 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

That’s what kills me also. The 2 games Rogers was out the Jets won with Bowles calling the defense. Then Rogers comes back and the Jets go 1-9 the rest of the way. Obviously this is on Bowles for sticking with a losing Rogers. Bowles could have succes as just a D coordinator but as a head coach he just couldn’t cut it. Bowles really let the Jets down. He might be a nice guy and all but I won’t be forgiving him for the unprepared team he put out on the field most weeks and all the adjustments he didn’t make and wasn’t ready for. 

Sorry guys but the "notion" that the Defense was great when Rogers was out is simply just not true.  Those two games against the Broncos and Colts were won based on offense, a great game by Isiah Crowell {Denver} and an effective offense against the Colts, in addition to the Colts imploding with 4 turnovers. Look it up. In those two games the Jets Defense gave up an average of 25 first downs/ game.  That is awful.  They also surrendered over 325 yards through the air, and over 400 yards in total offense. Look it up.  The next game with the return of Rogers, the offense surrendered 325 yards total offense.  In other words with Bowles "charge" of the offense it was more of the "Same Old Sh#t".  

7 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Sorry guys but the "notion" that the Defense was great when Rogers was out is simply just not true.  Those two games against the Broncos and Colts were won based on offense, a great game by Isiah Crowell {Denver} and an effective offense against the Colts, in addition to the Colts imploding with 4 turnovers. Look it up. In those two games the Jets Defense gave up an average of 25 first downs/ game.  That is awful.  They also surrendered over 325 yards through the air, and over 400 yards in total offense. Look it up.  The next game with the return of Rogers, the offense surrendered 325 yards total offense.  In other words with Bowles "charge" of the offense it was more of the "Same Old Sh#t".  

Well the 4 turnovers by the Colts speaks well of our defense that game. Also I think in the Bronco game they got most of their yards late when the game was basically over. Anyway it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that we won the 2 games that Rogers missed but it doesn’t really matter at this point anyway. 

15 hours ago, Copernicus said:

This. Bowles was not a good HC however he was a gentleman, his players loved him  and a good human being. I wish him the best of luck 

this will all become relevant when the Jets are a smoldering dumpster fire in 2 years and Adams signs with Tampa Bay for Brinks truck money 

let's be honest I'm calling it right now, 2019 the Jets will not resign their All pro strong safety. they just won't and by the time it happens half the fans will convince themselves it's the right move 

gregg williams is going to have this dude out in right field, when he needs to be playing $LB making sacks and stopping the run 

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this will all become relevant when the Jets are a smoldering dumpster fire in 2 years and Adams signs with Tampa Bay for Brinks truck money 

let's be honest I'm calling it right now, 2019 the Jets will not resign their All pro strong safety. they just won't and by the time it happens half the fans will convince themselves it's the right move 

gregg williams is going to have this dude out in right field, when he needs to be playing $LB making sacks and stopping the run 

If Maccagnan is still here, and no reason to think he's going anywhere if he tenure thus far didn't get him canned, he will re-sign the safety he took over Watson and Mahomes. Williams and Lee both could be very different stories. Adams is very good defender, simply not his fault he was taken over  QB. 

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Womp.....womp.....waaaaaah.

15 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Shame on you.  Don't you know that facts don't matter.  It's all about niceness.

Sad that “fake” news has concretely made it even onto the sports pages and airwaves.

The way virtually every commentator and sportswriter has praised Bowles you wonder if any of them actually watched 1 single game the guy coached.

Just be thankful that there were easily 4 games a sandlot coach could have won this year, that Bowles lost, single handedly “won” by Darnold, would have meant 8-8 and a happy “progress” report from Chris Johnson.  That could very easily have turned into Bowles becoming the same barnacle that Maccagnan is trying to be and piggy back Darnold’s potential greatness into another 10+ years on the job.

Couldnt have happened?  Just look at Exhibit “A”...Marvin Lewis coaching mostly stacked teams in Cincinnati  to a 1 and done playoff berth for close to 20 years.  And I think Lewis is 100x the coach Bowles is.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, joewilly12 said:

Never to be seen again in NY Jets gear.

Thats what I'm talking about. 

I hope the Bucs Arians and Bowles lose every game. 

I have nothing at all against Arians but I am DAMN GLAD that Bowles is no longer our HC.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Context:

150 of those 325 yards, and 9 of those 1st downs against Denver = came on Denver's last 2, meaningless, late 4thQ possessions, after they were already down 33-10. I take for granted the D wasn't attacking with the same enthusiasm when they knew the game was over even if Denver somehow scored 2 TDs because there wasn't enough time left. 

Ditto Colts game where 60 of 300 passing yards came on a meaningless last TD drive, when all the Jets had to do was not fumble an onside kick, followed by Sam kneeling 3x. The only necessary task was to make sure Indy didn't score with >2 minutes left.

The goal of the D in general is to stop the other team from scoring, but the goal of a prevent D is ultimately to stop the other team from scoring multiple times quickly rather than not score or move the ball at all. Had the Jets attacked and blitzed due to the lack of adequate pressure from the DL alone, and their multiple backup corners - remember, even absent starters Johnson & Skrine weren't exactly elite - got exposed deep to let opponents in the game quickly enough to allow 2-3 scores, that would be more valid criticism.

There are multiple good reasons Bowles needed to be fired even before his extension a year ago, but giving up 240 yds in the air during the meaningful 55 minutes of the game to Andrew Luck in arguably his best season, when allowing meaningless late yards helped run the clock in a win (or citing garbage stats in general as though they were meaningful) is fairly weak criticism. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Context:

150 of those 325 yards, and 9 of those 1st downs against Denver = came on Denver's last 2, meaningless, late 4thQ possessions, after they were already down 33-10. I take for granted the D wasn't attacking with the same enthusiasm when they knew the game was over even if Denver somehow scored 2 TDs because there wasn't enough time left. 

Ditto Colts game where 60 of 300 passing yards came on a meaningless last TD drive, when all the Jets had to do was not fumble an onside kick, followed by Sam kneeling 3x. The only necessary task was to make sure Indy didn't score with >2 minutes left.

The goal of the D in general is to stop the other team from scoring, but the goal of a prevent D is ultimately to stop the other team from scoring multiple times quickly rather than not score or move the ball at all. Had the Jets attacked and blitzed due to the lack of adequate pressure from the DL alone, and their multiple backup corners - remember, even absent starters Johnson & Skrine weren't exactly elite - got exposed deep to let opponents in the game quickly enough to allow 2-3 scores, that would be more valid criticism.

There are multiple good reasons Bowles needed to be fired even before his extension a year ago, but giving up 240 yds in the air during the meaningful 55 minutes of the game to Andrew Luck in arguably his best season, when allowing meaningless late yards helped run the clock in a win (or citing garbage stats in general as though they were meaningful) is fairly weak criticism. 

It is exactly as weak as the assertion that the defense was miraculously better under the 'watchful eye" of Bowles, and "masterful" play calling during Rodgers two week absence.  Nor does this two week hiatus excuse Bowles responsibility for the long term malaise of this defense'  performance over the course of his four year tenure.  There were a myriad of times he took over the play calling in the last quarter of the season, with Rodgers there, and the play did not significantly improve, if at all.  My main contention was that the Jets wins in those two games were due to Offensive play, not some resurgence of Defensive excellence in Rodgers absence.  The assertion on this board, by many, that the ineffectiveness of the Jets defense was somehow all Kacy Rodgers fault, while exonerating Bowles is laughable.

14 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It is exactly as weak as the assertion that the defense was miraculously better under the 'watchful eye" of Bowles, and "masterful" play calling during Rodgers two week absence.  Nor does this two week hiatus excuse Bowles responsibility for the long term malaise of this defense'  performance over the course of his four year tenure.  There were a myriad of times he took over the play calling in the last quarter of the season, with Rodgers there, and the play did not significantly improve, if at all.  My main contention was that the Jets wins in those two games were due to Offensive play, not some resurgence of Defensive excellence in Rodgers absence.  The assertion on this board, by many, that the ineffectiveness of the Jets defense was somehow all Kacy Rodgers fault, while exonerating Bowles is laughable.

Just saying your criticism was based on the stats. He sucked, but stats without context - ignoring the significant numbers racked up in garbage time and against 2 missing CB starters - is not the best justification. 

I take for granted that anything Rodgers's fault is Bowles's fault by extension. That's blame enough. 

By far the #1 reason for the Jets' crappy records were crappy players on the roster, where being just ok or merely slightly below average was enough to make guys top 5-10 players on the team. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

The Bucs D got instantly worse with the signing of Todd Bowles nothing he did here impressed me 23-40 speaks for itself. 

I don’t get the hype about him being a good DC either.  Arizona’s D was still very good the year after he left

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't get the feel good situation involving Todd Bowles and all those who defend him in my opinion he sucks at football. 

Not since Scott Layden have I seen someone so obviously horrible at their job get such kid glove treatment by the media

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just saying your criticism was based on the stats. He sucked, but stats without context - ignoring the significant numbers racked up in garbage time and against 2 missing CB starters - is not the best justification. 

I take for granted that anything Rodgers's fault is Bowles's fault by extension. That's blame enough. 

By far the #1 reason for the Jets' crappy records were crappy players on the roster, where being just ok or merely slightly below average was enough to make guys top 5-10 players on the team. 

My criticism was based on the misnomer that the defense played much better "under" Bowles those two wins than they had under Rodgers in a plethora of losses.  That is simply not true.  My main point was that Offense was the major factor in those wins, was it not?  I used the stats to support the theory.  Stats can be skewed anyway, so that is a secondary factor.  As are the facts that Andrew Luck had an awful game, and the Broncos were in the midst of their worst stretch of the season.  My major premise still stands, the defense was not markedly better under Bowles those two games.  As for the lack of  skilled players on the roster.  How much input Bowles had in their presence on the roster is open to interpretation.  The truth is, we will never know.  Maybe the upcoming drafts and roster construction under the new "regime" will give us a better idea of how much  Macc  is/was to blame.  Time will tell.  What is certain is that this was a very poorly coached football team, in all respects over the last four seasons. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

My criticism was based on the misnomer that the defense played much better "under" Bowles those two wins than they had under Rodgers in a plethora of losses.  That is simply not true.  My main point was that Offense was the major factor in those wins, was it not?  I used the stats to support the theory.  Stats can be skewed anyway, so that is a secondary factor.  As are the facts that Andrew Luck had an awful game, and the Broncos were in the midst of their worst stretch of the season.  My major premise still stands, the defense was not markedly better under Bowles those two games.  As for the lack of  skilled players on the roster.  How much input Bowles had in their presence on the roster is open to interpretation.  The truth is, we will never know.  Maybe the upcoming drafts and roster construction under the new "regime" will give us a better idea of how much  Macc  is/was to blame.  Time will tell.  What is certain is that this was a very poorly coached football team, in all respects over the last four seasons. 

The D did play better. You're trying to make the case that they didn't because of stats piled up in garbage time while two starting CBs were off the field.

He still deserved to get fired because his job title was HC not DC, and the Rodgers hire was all Bowles.

The #1 problem with the team was the roster. The D performed, for the most part, when the roster was far better in 2015 (that's even with Bowles as HC and Rodgers as DC). 

The most important position on a franchise is GM. Not HC, not FQB, and certainly not DC. Teams are perfectly capable of winning .500 or worse ball even with a FQB in his prime and a SB-winner HC (e.g. Packers, Saints, etc.).  It's not enough. You need a GM or head or operations or pick the job title of whomover it is that's bringing in the talent (on-field talent or sideline talent). There are rare exceptions like Brady/Beli but for pretty much every team every season, this is how it goes.

FWIW, I think Bowles called more than just the 2 games when Bowles was dealing with his illness.  They had already announced that Bowles was taking over defensive calls before the announced Rodgers would not be with the team.  Not sure why they would do that if it were solely related to the illness. I think Bowles had pulled defensive calls an earlier year with some mild success. 

Archived