mock offseason - post senior bowl edition

maury77

I think right now the Jets have either the fewest players under contract for next year or one of the fewest, so I wanted to add a lot of bodies in this mock. Some of the players are going to be a little older, but I think the team needs some veteran leadership. 

Cuts:

Spencer Long - obvious

Isaiah Crowell - Gase likes RBs that can contribute in the passing game (where Crowell is horrible), so Crowell gets the axe

Restructure:

Leonard Williams - I extended him over 3 years to lower his annual cap hit. Let's see how he does in the 4-3 with Gregg Williams lighting a fire under his ass. 

resign:

depth signings - Jonathonn Harrison, Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale, Brandon Copeland, Neville Hewitt, Daryl Roberts, Rontez Miles

Andre Robers - obvious

Jason Meyers - obvious

FA signings:

Le'Veon Bell (RB) - discussed ad nauseum

Matt Paradis (Center) - discussed ad nauseum

Ben Garland (Guard) - ah, a new name! Left guard from Atlanta who is 30, but was PFFs 14th ranked guard in the league last year. Will come cheaper than Saffold. 

Trey Flowers (Edge Rusher) - addresses the edge need and weakens New England. A 2 for 1 deal!

Thomas Davis (Carolina) (SAM LB) - Now I am going to piss some of you off, but the reality is we don't have anyone to play SAM in our new 4-3. Davis is 35, but PFF had him as the 19th ranked linebacker in the NFL last year. He is going to bring a much needed veteran presence and it is only going to be a 1-2 year contract while we draft and groom his replacement. 

Darqueze Dennard (CB) - Still only 27 years old, Dennard hasn't quite lived up to his 1st round selection, but he is an above average player that can play the slot (along with the boundary) and he should come with a reasonable contract. 

Jesse James (TE) - Gase likes to play a lot of 2 TE sets and, aside from Herndon, the Jets don't have much at the position. James is a big target who should come at a reasonable price. 

Sean Mannion (QB) - Jets are going to need a body to compete against Webb for the back up position. 

Draft

Jets trade with the Bengals (I used the 2016 Eagles Browns trade as my template)

Jets get

Bengals 2019 1st round, 2nd round, 2020 1st round pick and AJ Green

Bengals get 

Jets 2019 1st round

Jets 2019 picks

Round 1: Brian Burns edge rusher from FSU - Burns is a pretty polished pass rusher whose downside is that he is only 235-240, but he is 6'5" and only 20 years old, so I think he can add some weight as he gets older. Athletic edge rusher who fits what Williams and Gase have looked for in edge rushers. Team captain as well. 

Round 2: Deebo Samuels WR from South Carolina - Samuel had a good Senior Bowl week to cap off what was a good college career. He fits the mold of the WRs that Gase used in Miami and Samuels can be a returner down the road. I really like how Samuels fits with the Jets current WR corp. 

Round 3: Garret Bradbury C/G from NC State - Bradbury is an athletic guard that will fit a lot of the zone looks that Gase likes to use. Bradbury might be able to beat out Winters and start as a rookie.

Round 3: Joe Giles Harris LB from Duke - Very good, tough, smart football player who can take over for Williamson or Davis in the former's second year. 

Round 4: Dexter Williams RB from Notre Dame - This one is for @paradis. WIlliams was great value in round 4and has a very good shot at beating out McGuire to be Bell's backup. 

Why is it obvious to cut spencer long?  Is he overpaid?

The truth is that Long shouldn't have been playing center once he hurt his hand, and had the Jets been coached by someone who had any idea how to to their job, he wouldn't have been.  Once he moved to guard, he played well enough to be a part of this line going forward.

Long is currently the 13th highest paid center and would be the 8th highest paid guard in the league.  Not an ideal slot as a guard, but if you replace him there is a replacement cost for the next player, and its simply too difficult to find good lineman to cut someone like Long this early in his contract

I think its really hard to assume a trade such as the one you are suggesting happens with the Bengals. I mean, we are not just talking about the Bengals moving up from 11 to 3 and giving up draft assets but also their best player in AJ Green. Its just not realistic and impacts your whole roster. 

I think L.Bell is an unlikely signing and I don't see the Jets cutting Crowell. He's a good RB and with the rebuilt O-line with M.Paradis and Garland the Jets should see more production out of him. Also, McGuire and Cannon are good pass catchers and can contribute in the passing game, even if Crowell cant. 

I like the rest of the additions. And I guess I'm assuming in your scenario Mo Claiborne and R.Anderson are re-signed? Skrine walks? Those are 3 starters that you should clarify whether or not you see them on the team next year. 

Also, are the Jets not going to address OT at all? I mean, Beachem is grossly overpaid considering his cap hit and how average he is. Shell has been solid but is coming off season ending surgery. You have no OT signings or draft picks coming in. I think OT needs to be one of the first things to be addressed by the Jets in the offseason. I think Beachem need to be cut b/c he will free up 8mil in cap and I think the Jets need to aggressively pursue a veteran OT like Brown from the Patriots or J'James and Veldheer who are RTs but could probably transition to play LT. 

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Why is it obvious to cut spencer long?  Is he overpaid?

The truth is that Long shouldn't have been playing center once he hurt his hand, and had the Jets been coached by someone who had any idea how to to their job, he wouldn't have been.  Once he moved to guard, he played well enough to be a part of this line going forward.

Long is currently the 13th highest paid center and would be the 8th highest paid guard in the league.  Not an ideal slot as a guard, but if you replace him there is a replacement cost for the next player, and its simply too difficult to find good lineman to cut someone like Long this early in his contract

It's obvious to cut him because a) he is trash as a player and b) he can be cut without any salary cap ramifications. Do you realize his PFF score of 45.4 was the 37th worst score in the league last year amongst centers? There are only 32 teams, so even some backups were better than he is. 

23 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think its really hard to assume a trade such as the one you are suggesting happens with the Bengals. I mean, we are not just talking about the Bengals moving up from 11 to 3 and giving up draft assets but also their best player in AJ Green. Its just not realistic and impacts your whole roster. 

I think L.Bell is an unlikely signing and I don't see the Jets cutting Crowell. He's a good RB and with the rebuilt O-line with M.Paradis and Garland the Jets should see more production out of him. Also, McGuire and Cannon are good pass catchers and can contribute in the passing game, even if Crowell cant. 

I like the rest of the additions. And I guess I'm assuming in your scenario Mo Claiborne and R.Anderson are re-signed? Skrine walks? Those are 3 starters that you should clarify whether or not you see them on the team next year. 

Also, are the Jets not going to address OT at all? I mean, Beachem is grossly overpaid considering his cap hit and how average he is. Shell has been solid but is coming off season ending surgery. You have no OT signings or draft picks coming in. I think OT needs to be one of the first things to be addressed by the Jets in the offseason. I think Beachem need to be cut b/c he will free up 8mil in cap and I think the Jets need to aggressively pursue a veteran OT like Brown from the Patriots or J'James and Veldheer who are RTs but could probably transition to play LT. 

Well, the point of the exercise was to have a little fun, but:

The Bengals are about to hire Zac Taylor as their head coach. I think its safe to assume that he is going to want to get his own QB to groom and Haskins (who played at in-state Ohio State) could be an attractive option for him. 

As far as AJ Green goes, he is coming off a season ending injury and is heading into the last year of his contract. As a point of comparison, Demariyus Thomas was in a similar situation last year and the Texans got him for a 4th rounder. As far as value, if you look at the Eagles trade up for Wentz, the value given up in both trade scenarios is pretty close. 

As far as Crowell not getting traded, look at what Gase did with Jay Ajayi, a similar player to Crowell (although Ajayi was probably better when he got traded). Crowell offers nothing in the passing game as a blocker or receiver. I don't think he is going to be on the team next year. Even if the Jets don't sign Bell, I'd expect them to make a run at Tevin Coleman. 

Robby Anderson I have coming back, but I let Skrine walk and replaced him with Roberts (who was arguably better last year). We also have Nickerson coming back and he can develop into the starter. I also let Claiborne walk and replaced him with Dennard (who is a few years younger), although I'd like to see Jones get more play next year. 

As far as the Jets not addressing OL, I added Paradis (center), Ben Garland (guard) and Bradbury (C/G), so I'm not sure what you are talking about. 

Beachum is replaceable, but the FA options at tackle are meh and I think we can replace him in next year's draft. 

You and the Bengals.

I like some of the stuff you've done here. Denard, extending Williams and such. We haven't traded back in 20 years or so, lol..not holding my breath. But if so, then yes. I can't say i know much about brian burns so I'll defer to comment. The rest of course would emphatically get behind. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You and the Bengals.

I like some of the stuff you've done here. Denard, extending Williams and such. We haven't traded back in 20 years or so, lol..not holding my breath. But if so, then yes. I can't say i know much about brian burns so I'll defer to comment. The rest of course would emphatically get behind. 

Honestly, I hade a tough time deciding between Burns and Polite, but Burns has a bigger frame, so I went with him. 

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

It's obvious to cut him because a) he is trash as a player and b) he can be cut without any salary cap ramifications. Do you realize his PFF score of 45.4 was the 37th worst score in the league last year amongst centers? There are only 32 teams, so even some backups were better than he is. 

I don't think it is such a simple decision.    He has a $3MM roster bonus due on Feb 6, so if we are going to cut him to save $6MM, we will need to do that a month before FA starts and 2 months before the draft.  We don't have the luxury of signing or drafting his replacement and then cutting him.  The decision needs to be made now. 

He played better in the second half of the year when he moved over to guard.  I think I pay him his $3 mil bonus and if we sign guys like Paradis / Garland and draft a Bradbury, then maybe we cut him and save the extra $3MM or keep him around as back-up C/G.  But now, I would rather pay the roster bonus as a hedge against not getting the guys we want in FA. 

12 hours ago, Lith said:

I don't think it is such a simple decision.    He has a $3MM roster bonus due on Feb 6, so if we are going to cut him to save $6MM, we will need to do that a month before FA starts and 2 months before the draft.  We don't have the luxury of signing or drafting his replacement and then cutting him.  The decision needs to be made now. 

He played better in the second half of the year when he moved over to guard.  I think I pay him his $3 mil bonus and if we sign guys like Paradis / Garland and draft a Bradbury, then maybe we cut him and save the extra $3MM or keep him around as back-up C/G.  But now, I would rather pay the roster bonus as a hedge against not getting the guys we want in FA. 

I think that would be the prudent approach. 

13 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  If nothing else Long becomes a back up and insurance if you happen to draft a rookie and he struggles early on.  For the minimal savings you get for cutting him, it’s not really worth the hit to the depth chart.   

On 1/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, maury77 said:

Did you take into account what level of demerit PFF puts on a bad snap, because i have a feeling his grade dropped significantly due to the terrible snaps, which were due to an injury, not his skill.

11 hours ago, BCJet said:

Did you take into account what level of demerit PFF puts on a bad snap, because i have a feeling his grade dropped significantly due to the terrible snaps, which were due to an injury, not his skill.

I don't have the PFF account that gives you in-game stats, but the issue with the snaps was only really glaring at Miami. PFF rated Long poorly pretty much all year. If you are on twitter, Michael Nania and Joe Blewett have a lot of nice content on Jets film review. They both said Long played pretty poorly even after the move to left guard. 

Archived