Alex Smith will most likely miss entire 2019 season — Redskins trade?

Patriot Killa

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Snyder will want Murray. Nothing was more exciting in Washington when RGlll was running around, and Snyder was all smiles in the owners box. 

Guys like Carr or Flacco won't move the arrow in Washington. 

If I were the Jets I would definitely trade back to 15 for a huge haul! When you have the QB & 100 million you can do that. I posted from a mock draft the players that could be in that 15-20 range. Some really good choices including DK Metcalf. We have to look at 2019 as the year Gase/Williams establish their systems & weed out guys and add players they want. Heading into 2020 with Brady at 43 years old & we have 2 1st round picks? No brainer! 

But we’re only one player away from the Super Bowl ?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Apparently I have to start explaining myself better. 

It was a joke because McCown isn’t any good. I am aware that the redskins have the 15th pick overall. I made a joke about it being the 15 round. 

My original post was a joke, perhaps I should have made myself more clear. 

37 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I get it, everybody here wants extra picks, but you have to get realistic. We paid up the a** last year to move from 6 to 3. If Darnold pans out, it will have been worth it, and nobody will care what we paid. Hell, its already paid off for our GM, he'd be gone if not for that trade. I think you guys are being overly optimistic here @joenamathwouldn'tcry is being the most reasonable here, but I think even he's reaching a bit. As he said, its about supply and demand, not value charts. Unless this turns into a 2 team (lets say Giants, Redskins) bid war, the odds of us even being the trade target are remote. I agree we should publicly state we're willing to deal, but I doubt the Giants would do business with us, and what are the odds the Skins need to move up even past 6?. 

If I were the Giants, and even the Redskins, I'd stay exactly where I am. They'll have their choice of Haskins, Murray, Lock, Grier and Jones. Jets fans might not want to hear this, but the Giants could trade down themselves and have their choice of several of them in the late first or second rounds if that's what they want to do. Same for Washington to a lesser extent. 

The voice of reason.  Thanks.  The Board is a civil place again.

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Nobody was questioning staying at 3.  I think we all feel we will get a impact player there.  

No I was referring to the fact that his post calmed the bickering and helped bring sense and civility back to the discussion.  His point wasn't the point, it was what it did more importantly.  Thus the voice of reason.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

No I was referring to the fact that his post calmed the bickering and helped bring sense and civility back to the discussion.  His point wasn't the point, it was what it did more importantly.  Thus the voice of reason.

No bickering at all.  I think we were just exploring the possibility of trading back. However im a realist and know this years QB class isnt even close as good as last years so trading back would be harder

45 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

They only have 16 Million in cap space, plus they have to carry Alex Smith's contract on their cap.  They're screwed.

Don’t think that is issue. They  can always find the extra, cuts, trades, re-do deals. You never hold back signing your franchise qb, assuming Foles would want to go there.. As long as Foles doesn’t ask for Kirk cousins type $ a lot of teams will be interested  

40 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The voice of reason.  Thanks.  The Board is a civil place again.

30 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Somewhere out there my ex wife is shaking her head at all of this.... :rolleyes: 

52 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Nobody was questioning staying at 3.  I think we all feel we will get a impact player there.  

like who, did we get an impact plaeyr in leo williams at 6?  If bosa and allen are gone we are going to get a DT or non pass rushing DE.

We certainly will not get a guy in our areas of needs, the same areas of need we have had for 5 years or more.

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Don’t think that is issue. They  can always find the extra, cuts, trades, re-do deals. You never hold back signing your franchise qb, assuming Foles would want to go there.. As long as Foles doesn’t ask for Kirk cousins type $ a lot of teams will be interested  

Alex Smith's contract with the Redskins puts them on the hook for 31 Million dollars for the next two years, that they will have to pay regardless of whether he comes back or not.  Nick Foles contract with the Eagles, yes he is still under contract, escalates for the 2019 season to 20 Million Dollars with a player buyout.  That means he can remain with the Eagles and make 20 Million. So in order for him to opt out and pay 2 Million, and eschew 18 Million dollars guaranteed for 2019, I think it's reasonable to expect him to command in free agency an avg. salary around 14 million dollars.  If the Redskins were to sign Foles for that kind of money that means that they would be paying their top two quarterbacks on their roster, one who wouldn't even be playing 30 Million Dollars in Salary next year.  That is not going to happen.  No Way.

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Would the Eagles Tag Foles to prevent the Redskins scenario and trade him to Jacksonville? Just thinking ? 

I think the Jets have to sign OL, DE, WR as aggressively as possible.  And Bell too if quasi-reasonable.

They they see what the draft brings.  A DL is ok with me, but then get rid of Leo.  

Missing that 2nd round pick this year (35) really hurts.   They will go over the scenarios of who that could be.  QWilliamsl J Williams and Ferrell will be there.  Haskins and Bosa will go 1/2 or 2/1.  If Haskins drops to 3, someone would likely trade up for him.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Trade them Josh McCown for the 15th pick. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

They stop at 7 rounds now

Redskins own the 15th pick 1st round. 

Apparently I have to start explaining myself better. 

It was a joke because McCown isn’t any good. I am aware that the redskins have the 15th pick overall. I made a joke about it being the 15 round. 

My original post was a joke, perhaps I should have made myself more clear. 

I figured it was 

This entire transaction is probably the best thing on JN right now and you all missed it because you whine like girls.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Would the Eagles Tag Foles to prevent the Redskins scenario and trade him to Jacksonville? Just thinking ? 

The tag is a messy game. Unless they really want to keep him as a very expensive backup, Foles doesn’t have to sign the tag right away. Jacks is not going to wait around for that game. Would the eagles tag him with the intention of keeping him ? Can they afford to ? Or want to ? 

39 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Alex Smith's contract with the Redskins puts them on the hook for 31 Million dollars for the next two years, that they will have to pay regardless of whether he comes back or not.  Nick Foles contract with the Eagles, yes he is still under contract, escalates for the 2019 season to 20 Million Dollars with a player buyout.  That means he can remain with the Eagles and make 20 Million. So in order for him to opt out and pay 2 Million, and eschew 18 Million dollars guaranteed for 2019, I think it's reasonable to expect him to command in free agency an avg. salary around 14 million dollars.  If the Redskins were to sign Foles for that kind of money that means that they would be paying their top two quarterbacks on their roster, one who wouldn't even be playing 30 Million Dollars in Salary next year.  That is not going to happen.  No Way.

Lol. Pats were willing to pay jimmy g 20 mil 2 years as a backup, did you also say they would have never considered that ? You can’t look at it as, how much 1 positions, it is the qb position. They could easily back end Foles contract until smith $$ is cleared.. you don’t not sign a guy like foles, if you can, if you are the skins. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The tag is a messy game. Unless they really want to keep him as a very expensive backup, Foles doesn’t have to sign the tag right away. Jacks is not going to wait around for that game. Would the eagles tag him with the intention of keeping him ? Can they afford to ? Or want to ? 

Foles can not be tagged, he is under contract. The options are:

1) keep Foles for $20M and trade Wentz

2) cut Foles

3) Foles opts out for $2M

4) renegotiate Foles

The smart move would be to bottom out in 2019 but idk if Gruden survives that. If I were them I'd sign Teddy and see who falls. Would love to recoup picks though.

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Pats were willing to pay jimmy g 20 mil 2 years as a backup, did you also say they would have never considered that ? You can’t look at it as, how much 1 positions, it is the qb position. They could easily back end Foles contract until smith $$ is cleared.. you don’t not sign a guy like foles, if you can, if you are the skins. 

They have 16 Million in cap space next year.  They have Alex Smith on the books for 16 million next year. Even if Foles agreed to a back ended contract that would only decrease the cost a few million dollars on any given year.  They would still be paying their quarterbacks, one of whom isn't even going to play, close to 30 Million dollars next year.  Sure they could gain cap space by cutting some players or restructuring.  The players replacing the cuts still have to be paid don't they? You realize because of Smith's injury they also have to find and pay a backup quarterback?  You have to have enough money to field a team and a cap strapped team like the Redskins won't have the money to sign a high ticket free agent like Foles.  By the way, G-d willing Smith will return for the 2020 season, what do you propose they do with him then? 

Even a bad organization like the Skins know when it’s tank time. No way they trade up this year- too costly from 15.

if I were them I would trade back for 80 cents on the dollar. Get as much draft capital for next year to land Tua, Fromm Or Herbert. Dear Lord, if those guys were coming out this year, we could have a public auction for the right to trade up!

45 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Foles can not be tagged, he is under contract. The options are:

1) keep Foles for $20M and trade Wentz

2) cut Foles

3) Foles opts out for $2M

4) renegotiate Foles

The smart move would be to bottom out in 2019 but idk if Gruden survives that. If I were them I'd sign Teddy and see who falls. Would love to recoup picks though.

They don’t have to worry about number 2. Foles won’t stay the backup. He will opt out and make sure Philly or any other team commits in yrs and dollars, securing starting position.

39 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

They have 16 Million in cap space next year.  They have Alex Smith on the books for 16 million next year. Even if Foles agreed to a back ended contract that would only decrease the cost a few million dollars on any given year.  They would still be paying their quarterbacks, one of whom isn't even going to play, close to 30 Million dollars next year.  Sure they could gain cap space by cutting some players or restructuring.  The players replacing the cuts still have to be paid don't they? You realize because of Smith's injury they also have to find and pay a backup quarterback?  You have to have enough money to field a team and a cap strapped team like the Redskins won't have the money to sign a high ticket free agent like Foles.  By the way, G-d willing Smith will return for the 2020 season, what do you propose they do with him then? 

Lol. Bro you can easily replace high end position players with cheaper ones, draft picks. 2nd- Smith is not making Close to 30 next yr, he is just about 20-21. We are not talking about any position. I know as a jets fan, the qb position for years has not been a major priority. But to most teams, they would move heaven and earth to have a franchise qb, proven winner, especially at a reasonable price.. even if smith comes back end of yr, their backup won’t put them in a position for playoffs time he does. Plus he is not their future. You don’t have to have a 10 mil backup eirher, we had petty and hackenberg as backups 2 yrs ago lol. Who is patriot’s backup now ? 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Bro you can easily replace high end position players with cheaper ones, draft picks. 2nd- Smith is not making Close to 30 next yr, he is just about 20-21. We are not talking about any position. I know as a jets fan, the qb position for years has not been a major priority. But to most teams, they would move heaven and earth to have a franchise qb, proven winner, especially at a reasonable price.. even if smith comes back end of yr, their backup won’t put them in a position for playoffs time he does. Plus he is not their future. You don’t have to have a 10 mil backup eirher, we had petty and hackenberg as backups 2 yrs ago lol. Who is patriot’s backup now ? 

What does any of this have to do with your position that the Redskins should sign Foles.  I have explained to you a thousand different ways why it makes no sense for them due to the facts that.  They don't have the cap space.  They owe Alex Smith 31 Million Dollars over the next two years.  Foles is under contract with the Eagles for 20 Million Dollars Guaranteed.  Considering this, and the fact that if he opts out, he will be the most sought after free agent on the market, why would he agree to a "back loaded" contract with the Redskins?  The Jets don't value the Quarterback position?   Since 2000, the Jets have drafted:  Chad Pennington, 1st round.  Kellen Clemens,2nd round. Mark Sanchez, 1st round,  Geno Smith,2nd round.  Bryce Petty,4th round.  Christian Hackenberg,2nd round.  Sam Darnold,1st round.  They traded up to get both Sanchez and Darnold. That is not a major priority?  Come on.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is kind of premature to assume so nah.

Would you trade up -- surrendering a kings ransom for Haskins?.... that should be a hard no, Across any/all franchises. 

Anyway, i get it. there's not much else to do/talk about it... So why not. The expectations of a trade are getting palpable around here though.  

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What does any of this have to do with your position that the Redskins should sign Foles.  I have explained to you a thousand different ways why it makes no sense for them due to the facts that.  They don't have the cap space.  They owe Alex Smith 31 Million Dollars over the next two years.  Foles is under contract with the Eagles for 20 Million Dollars Guaranteed.  Considering this, and the fact that if he opts out, he will be the most sought after free agent on the market, why would he agree to a "back loaded" contract with the Redskins?  The Jets don't value the Quarterback position?   Since 2000, the Jets have drafted:  Chad Pennington, 1st round.  Kellen Clemens,2nd round. Mark Sanchez, 1st round,  Geno Smith,2nd round.  Bryce Petty,4th round.  Christian Hackenberg,2nd round.  Sam Darnold,1st round.  They traded up to get both Sanchez and Darnold. That is not a major priority?  Come on.

I was correcting you first off. How wrong you were about how much they owe smith next yr. Big difference between 20 and 30 mil bud. Lol. Don’t point out how many failures few bad jet gms made.. ha. Foles  will opt out.. He may be one the top FA out there. What’s your point ? He just wants to start, there is not more then 7 teams looking for starter ? 

Maybe he wants to stay close to his home past few yrs. In case you don’t have a map handy, dc isn’t too far from philly.. wash is probably the best team in nfl in play for a qb. Why they would make it work if Foles wants to go there. Doubt he wants to go to a shi! team.

Did we not have to move some pieces for farve ? 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They don’t have to worry about number 2. Foles won’t stay the backup. He will opt out and make sure Philly or any other team commits in yrs and dollars, securing starting position.

There is a 0% chance that Foles will opt out of $20M, they will have to cut him. 

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Why would Foles go to a team like the Skins that aren’t even competitive. The Jags are his best fit, talent wise and I believe they desperately need a QB and will pay out the wazoo. Perfect fit for both. 

4 hours ago, LES said:

Why would Foles go to a team like the Skins that aren’t even competitive. The Jags are his best fit, talent wise and I believe they desperately need a QB and will pay out the wazoo. Perfect fit for both. 

My understanding is that Jax has a tight cap.   That’s why they traded Fowler, knew they couldn’t re sign him

Archived